• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Things to do In Kauai

JoeJoejoe

Reaction score
Other than a Visit to Waimea Canyon State Park. What are some other things that one might suggest for a one week stay. We arrive March 3.

2 Able body Age 50ish-- Couples. We are staying on the South Side. We Will have an SUV.

Thanks in Advance for any ideas and/or information.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
The Koloa Rum is cheaper at Costco than at the Distillery. But visit the Distillery for your free tasting and Rum Cake. Our favorite drink is POG (also available at Costco) and Koloa Dark Rum. We also did and liked the Sugar Cane Canal Float and Koloa Zip line. Don't miss Waimea Canyon. Drive to top and hike around and have a picnic lunch. Stop at the viewpoints on the way down. Kayaking to the Fern Grotto and Secret Falls on Wailua River. Kauai Coffee Company. Akaka Swamp Trial. Hanakapiai Falls on Kalalau Trial - 2 miles on Kalalau Trail and then 2 miles up to Falls. This is a strenuous hike. We did it in our late 50's. We went slow and spent about 30 minutes at the Beach and 60 minutes at the Waterfall. Round trip 8 hours. But then Patti spent a day with ice packs on her knees. Trek Sticks would have helped. Ke'e Beach. Queens Bath. Hideaways Beach. For casual dining - Fish Taco Truck at Hanalei Beach Pier, Chili pepper chicken at Chevron Gas Station in Princeville, Loco Moco at Snack Shack at Sueoka's Market in Koloa. Laua at either Smith Family or Kilohana Planation (same location as Rum Distillery). Poi is ok once you learn how to eat it. Dip your pork in it. Spouting Horn. Poipu Beach. Snorkeing at Lawai. I know this is more that you can do in a week. But it is a starting list. Also Buy or Download Kauai Revealed.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
This ^^^. Adding: Wailua Falls is a nice side trip. (Watch for wild pigs in the parking area.) Kilauea Lighthouse. Hanalei Pier and beach. Kauai Museum on Rice Street in Lihue. Breakfast at Kountry Kitchen in Kapa'a. Lunch at Olympic Cafe, also in Kapa'a. Fish and Chips at Kalypso in Hanalei. Lunch and afternoon Happy Hour at Brennecke's in Poipu. If you have any military credentials, check out the base and beach at Barking Sands. Take a Capt. Andy's Napali Coast dinner cruise on one of their larger vessels. (Boats have "Star" in the name. A little more money, but a smoother trip.)

Then, book another trip to come back, because there is waaaaay more to do than you'll have time for.

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
For lots of good info - use the search function to search this forum for "Kauai activities"

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I'm with Dave. Don't try to cram everything in, take time and enjoy what you see. You have to get on island time to enjoy the while experience. Then book a trip back. :)

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
For your first trip to the island, I highly recommend you download the "Shaka Guide Kauai" app for your phone! There are three GPS guided tours around the island, that you can run through you car radio via Bluetooth. You can start the tours from anywhere, and be entertained by tales of Kauai mythology and history, fun facts, travel tips and more. We love their Maui guide, and used the Kauai app last week. It was great, but my phone's GPS in Kauai was a little wonky.

https://www.shakaguide.com

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Our favorite drink is POG (also available at Costco) and Koloa Dark Rum
My favorite mai tai, cheap and easy.

On the south side, if you can't see the sun set over the water, go to Spouting Horn at sunset. We saw a green flash from there a couple of weeks ago. If you want an easy hike, try the Maha'ulepu Heritage Trail. It's mostly flat, but it goes along the limestone cliffs overlooking the water. If you want to try snorkeling for the first time, go to Lydgate Park. It's sheltered, so it's safe. If you're headed to the north shore, take the scenic route around Kapaa that passes by Opaeka'a Falls. There's a scenic overlook on each side of the road there. Another thing to do on the north shore is to walk through the lobby of the St. Regis Resort to the restaurant on the other side. It's not open for lunch anymore, but it has a fantastic view of Hanalei Bay. My favorite activity on Kauai is coasting down the Waimea Canyon on a bicycle. Outfitters Kauai will take you to the top of the canyon, their guide will lead the bikes, and the van will follow so the whole lane will be blocked. They pull over occasionally for pictures, and short lectures on the geology, botany, and Hawaiian culture.

Our favorite guide book is The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, available in most book stores.

Kauai-10th-1000-pixel-tall-662-205x310.jpg

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love the Heritage Trail! The cliffs are very pretty along the coast, and it's a pleasant 2-mile walk. You can pick up a guide at one of the airport kiosks.

Past (east? up?) the coastline from the Heritage Trail is an interesting spot to explore - https://poipubeach.org/blog/makauwahi-cave-poipu For a special treat, try to time your visit for a tour into the cave. The beach further down the road is small, but beautiful!

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Koloa Rum is cheaper at Costco than at the Distillery. But visit the Distillery for your free tasting and Rum Cake. Our favorite drink is POG (also available at Costco) and Koloa Dark Rum. We also did and liked the Sugar Cane Canal Float and Koloa Zip line. Don't miss Waimea Canyon. Drive to top and hike around and have a picnic lunch. Stop at the viewpoints on the way down. Kayaking to the Fern Grotto and Secret Falls on Wailua River. Kauai Coffee Company. Akaka Swamp Trial. Hanakapiai Falls on Kalalau Trial - 2 miles on Kalalau Trail and then 2 miles up to Falls. This is a strenuous hike. We did it in our late 50's. We went slow and spent about 30 minutes at the Beach and 60 minutes at the Waterfall. Round trip 8 hours. But then Patti spent a day with ice packs on her knees. Trek Sticks would have helped. Ke'e Beach. Queens Bath. Hideaways Beach. For casual dining - Fish Taco Truck at Hanalei Beach Pier, Chili pepper chicken at Chevron Gas Station in Princeville, Loco Moco at Snack Shack at Sueoka's Market in Koloa. Laua at either Smith Family or Kilohana Planation (same location as Rum Distillery). Poi is ok once you learn how to eat it. Dip your pork in it. Spouting Horn. Poipu Beach. Snorkeing at Lawai. I know this is more that you can do in a week. But it is a starting list. Also Buy or Download Kauai Revealed.

Extreme care is appropriate at and when approaching Queen's Bath, especially in the winter months. Check trip advisor if you are in doubt.

I would add to the list the Kilauea Lighthouse and the Limahuli and Allerton arboretums.
If your craving for fish tacos is not satisfied at the Truck in Hanalei, stay in town for Fish Taco night at the Hanalei Gourmet (2 nights a week).
We always spend a evening or two at Tahiti Nui.
If you have already done a big luau in Hawaii or are put off by the idea, consider the more laid back but delicious family luau at the Nui. I believe they do it on Wed. or Thur. night.
To work it off, kayak or paddle board the Hanalei River.
We tend to use the less used North Shore beaches like Anini, Secret and Lumahai. Hanalei Beach mellows out after 5:00p.m.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
My favorite mai tai, cheap and easy.

On the south side, if you can't see the sun set over the water, go to Spouting Horn at sunset. We saw a green flash from there a couple of weeks ago. If you want an easy hike, try the Maha'ulepu Heritage Trail. It's mostly flat, but it goes along the limestone cliffs overlooking the water. If you want to try snorkeling for the first time, go to Lydgate Park. It's sheltered, so it's safe. If you're headed to the north shore, take the scenic route around Kapaa that passes by Opaeka'a Falls. There's a scenic overlook on each side of the road there. Another thing to do on the north shore is to walk through the lobby of the St. Regis Resort to the restaurant on the other side. It's not open for lunch anymore, but it has a fantastic view of Hanalei Bay. My favorite activity on Kauai is coasting down the Waimea Canyon on a bicycle. Outfitters Kauai will take you to the top of the canyon, their guide will lead the bikes, and the van will follow so the whole lane will be blocked. They pull over occasionally for pictures, and short lectures on the geology, botany, and Hawaiian culture.

Our favorite guide book is The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, available in most book stores.

Kauai-10th-1000-pixel-tall-662-205x310.jpg
Just to add to Art's excellent list, here are some other things to do: two weeks before visiting the south shore viewing Spouting Horn (meaning now since you will be there next week), make a dinner reservation at The Beach House near Poipu. It's breathtaking, delicious, and you may even see a Hawaiian wedding taking place on the lawn fronting the restaurant.
BeachHouseRestaurant1.jpg

Art's recommendation for a stroll through the St. Regis Princeville should not be missed. Once again, I recommend making a dinner reservation for the Makana Terrace Restaurant (the one he could not remember the name of) for about 6 pm. You will be seated outdoors with a spectacular view of Hanalei Bay below you and Bali Hai (formally known as Mt. Makana) in the distance. As your meal proceeds, you will need to get your camera ready to snap amazing photos of the sunset behind the mountain. It is one of those once-in-a-lifetime dining experiences you will always remember.
stregisTerrace.jpg

The bike ride along Waimea Canyon is amazing, as long as you have good weather there. The canyon is on the west side of Mt. Waialele, the wettest place on earth.
Waimea-Canyon-Biking-1%5B1%5D.jpg

I also agree that The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook is a must. It's written by Andrew Doughty, who lives on the Islands and tours himself--anonymously--every location reviewed in his book. And if the service is poor or the meal is bad or the experience is particularly outstanding, he tells it like it is. Very valuable information.

In addition to Art's recommendations, I'll add a few of my own:

Be sure to visit Puka Dogs on the south shore in Poipu for a decidedly un-healthy but fun lunch. My favorite is the Polish dog with Auntie Lilikoi's Hawaiian Mustard.
Best-Kauai-Eats-21.jpg

Others have mentioned the Kilauea Lighthouse, which is also a National Bird Sanctuary. You are likely to see one of nature's largest birds--the albatross--on the cliffs above the lighthouse. When we were last there, the rangers let us check out binoculars in order to enhance the viewing of the many birds there.
Home.jpg

Finally, if you're considering a unique worship experience on the Sunday that you're there, you will be blessed by the singing and fellowship at the Waioli Huiia Church in Hanalei. The present church building was built in 1912, and what we particularly enjoyed was the singing of the church choir, with songs sung in both English and native Hawaiian language. Very friendly people, and an unforgettable experience.
HanaleiChurch.jpg

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
NEWS FLASH: Walmart is now cheaper on Koloa than Costco! At least on the Coffee and maybe some others.

JoJo's shave ice in Waimai is yummy. Kauai Shrimp are a must (2 or 3 times) and can be gotten at Safeway, Costco etc... or the factory outlet store in Hanapepe.

Great first stop? Hit the Kauai Island brewpub in Lihue when you arrive (or depart). Great food, great beer and very good prices. Kauai brewery in Port Allen is just so-so. Beers were not 'delicious' last time we stopped. Twice. The smoked beer (can't remember, brown?) is pretty good. After you've already had one. :rolleyes:

If you have access to DoD, the PMTC at Barking sands has a nice club, amazing beach.

If you have time and $$ do the Capt Andy's STAR dinner sunset cruise. Better than dinner at a fancy restaurant IMHO. Good food, nice boat, great scenery and nice drinks. Great people too.
cheers.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Stop in Anahola and have some Huli Huli chicken. It's not open everyday, just watch for the sign right on Kuhio hwy.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Many people never make it to the west side of the Island. Barking Sands Beach at Polihali Park is about as far as the road goes. Pretty quiet out there. It is kind of remote and I think it is clothing optional from the looks of it. Very few people here when we went.

Another quiet place is the Keahue Arboretum up on the mountain. It is another remote place with an interesting drive. Local swimming hole.

One thing worth mentioning is the traffic. It can get bad.

Bill

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Staying on the south side? Go out to Gillin's Beach and walk the Maha'ulepu shoreline. To get to Gillin's Beach, take the road that goes past the Hyatt all the way to the end. Find a parking spot at the beach, then just follow the coast to the left.

In the "Grave Decision" thread, this is the area where I suggested my family could scatter my ashes if they wished.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many people never make it to the west side of the Island. Barking Sands Beach at Polihali Park is about as far as the road goes. Pretty quiet out there. It is kind of remote and I think it is clothing optional from the looks of it. Very few people here when....One thing worth mentioning is the traffic. It can get bad. Bill
The road to get to the beach is usually rough (especially in the winter months). Be careful, especially if you are using a rental car.

Dollie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Staying on the south side? Go out to Gillin's Beach and walk the Maha'ulepu shoreline. To get to Gillin's Beach, take the road that goes past the Hyatt all the way to the end. Find a parking spot at the beach, then just follow the coast to the left.

In the "Grave Decision" thread, this is the area where I suggested my family could scatter my ashes if they wished.

We were just on Kaua`i for 3 weeks (Jan 20th-Feb 10th). There was quite a bit of rain and flooding. When we tried to get to Maha`ulepu, the gate was closed just after the horseback riding staples. I hope this is just temporary.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Snorkeling at Salt Pond and Lygate State Park and swimming at Kea Beach and try to find Lumina Beach of "South Pacific" fame with its' view of Bali Hai. Swim at your own risk there, though. Take a tour boat out on the ocean to view the Napali Coast. Poipu Beach is nice for swimming also. Visit the Taro fields and the town of Hanalei, (Puff the Magic Dragon).

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Legend has it that if you are anchored on a boat in Hanalei Bay and smoking the right stuff you can see Puff playing in the Mountains.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Legend has it that if you are anchored on a boat in Hanalei Bay and smoking the right stuff you can see Puff playing in the Mountains.
Yep. And when he's not playing, he's sleeping. He's there every day of the year.
makana.jpg

hk94

Reaction score
We were just on Kaua`i for 3 weeks (Jan 20th-Feb 10th). There was quite a bit of rain and flooding. When we tried to get to Maha`ulepu, the gate was closed just after the horseback riding staples. I hope this is just temporary.

We just got back from Kauai on Sunday. The rain and flooding is still prevalent on the north shore. The South side by Mahaulepu was bad the one day I took a chance to go down there.

TTom

Reaction score
Don’t know if anyone has mentioned it (didn’t read the whole thread), but I would seriously consider a trip to Polihale (on the West coast) for sunset. The road is a real bear, but it should be OK with an SUV. The sunsets are spectacular, and the beach is so big that it really can’t be crowded. Not sure I would recommend swimming there, because it’s pretty deserted and the surf can be very rough. The view of the Na Pali Coast is also pretty special.

Tom

JAbbott

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lawai Beach Resort, Wyndham Kona Hawaiian
Don’t know if anyone has mentioned it (didn’t read the whole thread), but I would seriously consider a trip to Polihale (on the West coast) for sunset. The road is a real bear, but it should be OK with an SUV. The sunsets are spectacular, and the beach is so big that it really can’t be crowded. Not sure I would recommend swimming there, because it’s pretty deserted and the surf can be very rough. The view of the Na Pali Coast is also pretty special.

Tom

Polihale can have some very very strong rip tides. A couple of years ago I advised a pair of couples who were horse playing in the surf, completely oblivious to a large and well developed rip tide that was about 20 feet to their left. They were not strong swimmers, and I knew there was no way I would have been able to help them.. most guides I have read suggest not swimming there. Sure a magical spot though!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can swim (wade/wallow) at Queen's Pond at Polihale - it's a protected shallow area.
Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 3.59.50 PM.png