• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CONGRATULATIONS to USA Men's Curling & Women's Hockey Teams

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Men's Curling GOLD:
Congratulations USA Men!!!!
Their victories against Canada in a semi-final match and then against Sweden in the final match
were unprecedented for a team from the USA.

Women's Hockey GOLD:
Way to go, USA!!!
The USA women's loss in the last Olympic Games to Canada was
gut-wrenching, but they salvaged silver, and returned this time
determined to settle for nothing less than GOLD.

In an otherwise disappointing Winter Olympic Games in almost every aspect,
these were monumental and historic achievements in overcoming obstacles
and past failures for both the Men's Curling team and the Women's Hockey team.

Emotional? You bet.

Lots of highlights, lots of stories, but most of all lots of profound gratitude
amongst the team members, whose tales will now live on in Olympic lore.

Redemption is sweet.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Just remember that we do have some Canadian posters here.
Our condolences are in order... Too bad, so sad. </gloating>

"Was this the worst day in Canadian Olympic history" - Toronto Star (2/22/2018)
"... Day 13 of the 2018 Winter Games qualified as Canada’s worst Olympic day ever. Or one of them. In the afternoon, the United States beat Canada for gold in hockey. In the evening, the United States dashed Canada’s hopes of gold in curling... On the same day Canada’s 16-year Olympic win streak in women’s hockey was dead-ended by the stateside archrival, Canada’s Kevin Koe, the two-time world curling champion, dropped his semifinal match to Wisconsin’s John Shuster, the zero-time world champion."

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This and the women's hockey team winning the gold was pretty awesome. There was also the women's team cross country that won a historic gold medal. These were the best moments of the Olympics for the USA I think.

And forgot to mention the 17 yr old snowboarder whose parents were from South Korea

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Just remember that we do have some Canadian posters here.
Our condolences are in order... Too bad, so sad. </gloating>

"... Day 13 of the 2018 Winter Games qualified as Canada’s worst Olympic day ever. Or one of them. In the afternoon, the United States beat Canada for gold in hockey. In the evening, the United States dashed Canada’s hopes of gold in curling... On the same day Canada’s 16-year Olympic win streak in women’s hockey was dead-ended by the stateside archrival, Canada’s Kevin Koe, the two-time world curling champion, dropped his semifinal match to Wisconsin’s John Shuster, the zero-time world champion."

Granted, and understood, eh?

.....but,

in the great spirit of the Olympic Games, it's the fierce competition and the respect for the opponent
(even friendships forged???) that make it such a lasting and worthy endeavor.

When I was a child and competed in Equestrian events, the printed programs handed out ALWAYS said at the bottom:
"It matters not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game."
I never forgot that, and even then it made a huge impression on me.
I still think that's a relevant statement if one views the games as they were intended.

Emotions do tend to be raw and open to everyone's view, both for the competitors and for the viewers from afar,
but we all must learn to move on. As they say, in the long run whatever hurts only tends to make us stronger.

After all, it's just "games", right?
There is solace knowing that it's NOT life or death.
In the end we all walk away from SPORTS with an appreciation for hard work, perseverance, and excellence.
When else do we all come together in a non-political showcase of human ability, admiration, and emotions?

The podium tears say it all.

(P.S......the most miraculous thing MIGHT be that you have a Southern man here commenting on, and raving about,
women's hockey and men's curling!!!! The only ice I know is located in the bottom of our refrigerator.)

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
In 2014, the womens hockey team did not salvage silver they were given it as if it were a finishing medal. Silver in that sport may as well be last. It is the same for Canada this year. With Canada/usa it should be double elimination to win gold.

This may be as good a place as any to ask but which country is bringing home the most actual medals? My guess is usa is bringing home the most gold medals. Canada by far the most overall medals.

Which country has the most all around team? Norway's medals are limited to a few sports.

Just like in college football with the amount of bowl games there are too many events. Too many speed skating, skiing and snowboarding are the first to come to mind.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
"It's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game."

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose:
It's how drunk you get." -- Homer Simpson (2013)

Medal Count by Country (2/24) - Gold / Silver / Bronze / Total
Norway..................................... 13..... 14.......11......... 38
Germany................................... 13...... 8........ 7.......... 28
Canada..................................... 11.......8....... 10......... 29
United States of America............... 9...... 8........ 6.......... 23
Netherlands................................. 8...... 6........ 6.......... 20

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
In 2014, the womens hockey team did not salvage silver they were given it as if it were a finishing medal. Silver in that sport may as well be last. It is the same for Canada this year. With Canada/usa it should be double elimination to win gold.

This may be as good a place as any to ask but which country is bringing home the most actual medals? My guess is usa is bringing home the most gold medals. Canada by far the most overall medals.

Which country has the most all around team? Norway's medals are limited to a few sports.

Just like in college football with the amount of bowl games there are too many events. Too many speed skating, skiing and snowboarding are the first to come to mind.
Wrong. The most medals is Norway currently with 38. Canada has 29, US has 23. For Gold medals again it's Norway (and Germany) with 13, Canada has 11, US has 9.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not events won but physical medals awarded/bringing home. I can read a medal table.

Or how many athletes of each country are going home with at least one medal?

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Not events won but physical medals awarded/bringing home. I can read a medal table.

Or how many athletes of each country are going home with at least one medal?
Okay I think I get it now. You're talking about something like the Gold medal win of the Women's ice hockey team which would show up on the medal table as ONE Gold medal win, but each member of the team would have received a medal.

Interesting question. I wonder if that information is captured anywhere.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hooray to the curling team. I watched a week ago and they weren't doing so well. Very happy everything turned around. All of the sports are amazing. Short track skating - such speed and strategy in just a few laps. All of the athletes are so brave. Except for curling :p, they have suffered bumps and bruises and broken bones to get to where they are today.
While gold is the goal, often I can't remember who won years later. The names are famous, but some earned silver or were top performers in national and world competitions. A special aired tonight about the 1988 Olympics in Calgary. Until the ending, I didn't remember if Boitano or Orsini won, or Thomas or Witt. I did recall their names and faces. So in time the glory can fade in the public's memory.
Anyway, congrats to the boys from Duluth! Even the pudgy one.

Reactions: jme

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

No this was by no means the worst day in Canadian Olympic history. That dubious honour happened 30 years ago when Ben Johnson was stripped of his gold medal in the men's 100m sprint after he tested positive for a banned substance.

As well, how can it be a bad day in Canadian Olympic history when this is the most medals Canada has ever won in any Winter Olympics even beating their haul on home soil eight years ago?

So the Canadians did not win any medals in men's or women's curling. They still won gold in the mixed doubles event. So the women's hockey team won silver instead of gold. It's hard to complain when they've won gold at the previous four WO's. Besides, a sixth shootout was needed to settle. It was that close. I am actually hoping that other countries will catch up in this sport. As nice as it is to see your home country win, it can start to get monotonous seeing the same two countries competing for the gold every time. It can also get discouraging for aspiring female hockey players in other countries.

So the men's hockey team "only" won a bronze. Let's remember, it was not the best players being sent there as the NHL decided not to suspend the season so as to allow the players to participate. And if Canadians are looking for the "worst" in men's hockey at the Olympics, I would look at 1988 where it was actually played in Canada and Canada won nothing in that sport. A close second would be the 2006 WO's in Torino, Italy where supposedly the best played and again, came up empty-handed.

So to reiterate. Was this the worst day in Canadian Olympic history? My answer is a resounding NO!

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Canada was the favorite to win mens and women's hockey and mens and women's curling. But in a lot of other events our athletes stepped up.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Canada was the favorite to win mens and women's hockey and mens and women's curling. But in a lot of other events our athletes stepped up.

Bingo! The WO's are not just about hockey and curling. Just ask the Norwegians (and even Canadians for that matter) who won all those medals in alpine events.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is solace knowing that it's NOT life or death.
In the end we all walk away from SPORTS with an appreciation for hard work, perseverance, and excellence.
When else do we all come together in a non-political showcase of human ability, admiration, and emotions?

The podium tears say it all.

:thumbup:

:clap: Congratulations to all the athletes!

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think a gold medal should be decided by a shoot-out. Let them continue to play sudden death OT

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think a gold medal should be decided by a shoot-out. Let them continue to play sudden death OT
Agree... it all falls on the goaltenders shoulders or in soccer... the keeper. When you loose or win in sudden death it's a team victory or loss.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

I know this has been debated a lot, especially among NHL fans. But there is one factor that a lot of "traditionalists" fail to realize. At the Olympics, some of the venues like the ice rinks do not have the luxury of being able to play all night. The arenas need to be cleared of fans, cleaned up, and then get ready for the next event there.

People who have watched NHL playoff games know that sometimes games can go on for hours waiting for a team to score the sudden death goal.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I watched the entire Gold Medal curling match, even after I knew who won it. It was a really close game until the eight end when team USA scored big. From there it was evident that they had the gold. It was a long road for the skip (Shuster) and he did deserve the win. Me, being from Canada it would have been great to see another Canadian gold for the men and women in curling, but this wasn't their year. Even still, Canada is deep in talent in both curling and hockey. The commentary during one of the matches was mentioning that eight of the top twelve teams in curling world wide are from Canada. Some countries may only have one or two teams that can even compete internationally. You often see the same skips at every Olympics for some of these countries. This was Shuster's third as skip and fourth Olympics overall. International teams are finally catching up to the level where Canada has been for years. Canada has been trying to grow the sport internationally and in fact coached a lot of teams at the Olympics this year. They can't have it both ways, either grow the sport and come out on the losing end, or don't grow the sport and see it dropped from the Olympics like baseball was. Canada finishing out of the medals in men's and woman's curling this year was perhaps one of the best things for the sports internationally.

I did like the new mixed doubles curling this year and Canada can say they won the first gold medal in that event in the Olympics with a pair that were put together only in January and had only played a half dozen games together before going to the Olympics. Playing against many pairs that were dedicated to the sport for many years. I had a lot of fun watching mixed doubles curling.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to The USA Curling and The USA Women Hockey Teams.:clap::clap:

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Canada has been trying to grow the sport internationally and in fact coached a lot of teams at the Olympics this year. They can't have it both ways, either grow the sport and come out on the losing end, or don't grow the sport and see it dropped from the Olympics like baseball was. Canada finishing out of the medals in men's and woman's curling this year was perhaps one of the best things for the sports internationally.

I did like the new mixed doubles curling this year and Canada can say they won the first gold medal in that event in the Olympics with a pair that were put together only in January and had only played a half dozen games together before going to the Olympics. Playing against many pairs that were dedicated to the sport for many years. I had a lot of fun watching mixed doubles curling.

I agree. As a long-time curler I had never heard of mixed doubles until I watched the Olympic qualifying trials. It is a simpler game and a lot of fun. I think it will be good for the sport.

As much as I enjoy Canada taking gold, it is gratifying to see so many other countries now participating in a sport that developed in Canada and was virtually unknown outside of the country. It is the same dilemma for the Norwegians in ski events. They dominate in those events. They love when their country wins, but if they want the sport to proliferate there must be a chance for other countries to win as well. They also understand that dilemma. Like Canada in curling and hockey, the Norwegians have contributed coaches and technical expertise to help other countries improve their skills.

Unfortunately for Canadians, those other countries are now starting to beat us at our own game. But good on them and thanks for the excitement of being able to watch much more closely fought games. And yes, we can always argue that this time it wasn't the true elite players in hockey playing for either the USA or Canada, but it meant some other players in both those countries had a chance to play for their countries. They felt just as proud to have that chance.

Congratulations to all those athletes that participated and gave their best at the Olympics...you are elite by definition just to be there!!

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The only issue with watching curling on US television is that they act like it is the first time you have ever seen such a game. They explain everything about the ice, the scoring, the weight of the stones, the lines, the house, EVERYTHING, like you had never heard it before. You would think that by the gold medal games, people would know already.