• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A Guide to the Tax Changes

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
And I'm sure since your local "fishwrapper" says it, it HAS to be true, and there's absolutely no way that they could be distorting or exaggerating anything to sell more papers or views??? Naw... it has to be true. Nevermind, how could I even think such a thing. :)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
And I'm sure since your local "fishwrapper" says it, it HAS to be true, and there's absolutely no way that they could be distorting or exaggerating anything to sell more papers or views??? Naw... it has to be true. Nevermind, how could I even think such a thing. :)
Hi Ace,

Don't tell me you're going over to the Fake News Camp.

Richard

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
FRONT PAGE NEWS! New Tax Plan to cost Idahoans $100M. Buried deep in the article, it said that people were of the (mis)conception that there was going to be a tax reduction! HAH! Let's see now. Up is down, Peace is war, health care freedom is no health care, tax reduction nets government more money. AMAZING! Hold your wallet, because somebody else already has a firm grip on it.

Jim

I read the article. It was saying that the new tax bill will change the amounts of state taxes if state tax laws stay as they are. The tax man in Idaho was saying if nothing else changes Idaho residents would pay 97 million more in state taxes. The interesting thing is that the new federal tax law takes effect mid fiscal year for Idaho complicating what they can do.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I read the article. It was saying that the new tax bill will change the amounts of state taxes if state tax laws stay as they are. The tax man in Idaho was saying if nothing else changes Idaho residents would pay 97 million more in state taxes. The interesting thing is that the new federal tax law takes effect mid fiscal year for Idaho complicating what they can do.
Well, if an Idaho resident's income tax is calculated similar to Colorado (based on form 1040 line 43: Federal Taxable Income), that would make sense. Because of the general reduction of deductions, exemptions, etc., a lot of taxpayer's Taxable Income will go up. But their Federal income tax will be less in most cases because of changes to the tax brackets and rates. I think it will be interesting for a lot of states.

However, getting back to the newspaper headline: Sure, the tax bill may cost Idahoans $97 million more (as a whole) in state taxes, I would bet they will be saving way more than that in Federal taxes (as a whole). But that headline probably wouldn't sell newspapers... :doh:

Kurt

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
An education is priceless. Being a mother of 3 is a demanding career but if life ever changes and she has to work outside the home her degree will get her to interviews and give her a good chance on getting a job.

There is a mode of thought that says that the best legacy you can leave your children is their education, and for their retired parents to be self-sufficient. Any inheritance they receive beyond that is unexpected gravy.

With rising college, tax, and healthcare costs, this will certainly be the case!

Last edited:

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
The effect on state taxes is something I have not seen discussed anywhere until this thread. There is bound to be some really negative consequences for states that base their tax on the federal Taxable Income line, which is AFTER deductions and (formerly) exemptions. Hence, if taxable income goes down because of the doubling of SD (for example, for retired couples with no kids), they're going to collect less tax.

Here in California, taxes start with federal Adjusted Gross Income, tweaked for things that are or aren't taxable in CA (mostly SS isn't taxed, and state taxes aren't deductible). Then the generous Standard Deduction ($8472 for couples) is applied. We have an "exemption" of $114 per person, double that for seniors, but it's actually a credit on the calculated tax. So there shouldn't be any significant effect on our tax collections.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
An education is priceless. Being a mother of 3 is a demanding career but if life ever changes and she has to work outside the home her degree will get her to interviews and give her a good chance on getting a job.

Someone once told me....nobody will ever take away your education. So true.

On an education note and back to the topic if this thread. I just learned today that parents can now withdraw $10,000 per year from their kids 529 college savings plan for private education for grades k-12. It is getting a lot of flack, but personally I'm happy with the option just in case I need it.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
So you are saying that the Federal Government should be spending a lot more in NJ,NY,and CA so they are not cheated?
No. I think that spending issues are a topic for another thread.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
How many yearschavecinheard a baby born before the end of the year a little tax deduction. No longer, now it's a little tax credit.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Below is an article comparing California and NY to low tax states. Biggest difference appears to be the high cost of living which drives higher wages for teachers, police, fire etc and the bargaining power of the public unions for retirement benefits. Not sure there is much that can be done to manage lower wages of public servants given the high cost of living here. Appears to be systemic problems tied to the cost of living and union negotiations that are not easily solved by cutting budgets - lest we hire fewer teachers and firefighters.

I would like to see a comparison of overhead percentages between the states which is not included in this report.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01...s-pay-more-state-and-local-taxes-than-texans/

upload_2018-1-14_11-31-19.png

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Below is an article comparing California and NY to low tax states. Biggest difference appears to be the high cost of living which drives higher wages for teachers, police, fire etc and the bargaining power of the public unions for retirement benefits. Not sure there is much that can be done to manage lower wages of public servants given the high cost of living here. Appears to be systemic problems tied to the cost of living and union negotiations that are not easily solved by cutting budgets - lest we hire fewer teachers and firefighters.

I would like to see a comparison of overhead percentages between the states which is not included in this report.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01...s-pay-more-state-and-local-taxes-than-texans/

View attachment 5411
The brunt of CA's problem related to collecting more tax money but fewer services is due to increasing contributions to the large underfunded public pension funds from unrealistic expectations of pension investment growth estimates. Unions negotiated nice terms and the state approved them years ago. See Jerry Brown lamenting that in the next round of recession, pension will be on the cutting board.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/the-state-worker/article194434479.html

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Interesting article in New York Times about doubling your charitable donations every other year, taking the year off the next, therefore itemizing every other year.
We may look into this. Because of the new tax bill, we did accelerate most of our planned 2018 charitable giving into 2017 so we could claim the deduction. With the new tax bill, we will not itemize any more, but if we double-up on charitable giving every-other year, we may benefit by itemizing on those years. I'll have to play with the numbers, but it won't affect us until at least 2019 so I have some time.

Kurt

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
When employeed, I did something similar with the property tax. Paid three payments, Jan July Dec, in one year to itemize, then pay only July the next year and take the standard deduction.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
It appears that the big nanny / PC states are the ones with the highest costs of living. Folks in live-and-let-live states seem to elect politicians that manage to get along more frugally. Perhaps Ny/Cal etc should try electing politician/parties of the more frugal bent.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It appears that the big nanny / PC states are the ones with the highest costs of living. Folks in live-and-let-live states seem to elect politicians that manage to get along more frugally. Perhaps Ny/Cal etc should try electing politician/parties of the more frugal bent.
The state with the highest poverty level... is California (#1)... NY (#4). https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose...highest-poverty-rates-calif-fla-la-ny-az.html

Being more frugal does not help these states. They need fundamental change and if I get into it more it will become political.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tax laws (abetted by local practices) do seem to affect voting by the feet. Here are the current forecasts for the changes in congressional representation we are likely to see in 2020...with Illinois leading in the race to lose 2 congressional seats.:

Brett

Reaction score

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Circling back to the (long ago) original topic, I had an opportunity yesterday to calculate our taxes for 2018 using the actual brackets. Unlike the result from the calculator, we receive no tax cut, in fact we have an increase (although one I am not going to lose any sleep over). In our case, the calculator linked above was off by over $1,500 so be forewarned and do not use the numbers presented on the calculator when determining your estimated taxes for example. (I'm linking this article strictly for the brackets/rates. I can't vouch for the other content). https://www.fool.com/taxes/2018/01/18/your-complete-guide-to-the-2018-tax-changes.aspx

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It appears that my earlier prediction here on Tug is happening. California has just introduced a bill to increase corporate taxes on businesses over $1 million in revenue to offset the tax cuts.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...-pitch-business-tax-1516315691-htmlstory.html

(Calif. businesses never left the state when taxes were higher, so they probably wouldn't leave with this tax. As someone who will pay thousands in higher taxes with the SALT deduction cap, I am in favor of this if they give relief to our personal SALT deduction loss.)

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
New taxes generate new spending.

CT didn't have an income tax until about 25 years ago.
It was supposed to reduce property tax because of grants to towns.
Now there is a $2 billion deficit, higher income tax, high property tax, small town grants, and business leaving the state.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
New taxes generate new spending.

CT didn't have an income tax until about 25 years ago.
It was supposed to reduce property tax because of grants to towns.
Now there is a $2 billion deficit, higher income tax, high property tax, small town grants, and business leaving the state.

True. My biggest concern is that they will pass this and not give any relief on SALT. I am glad we are within reach of retirement and can work remotely because we may be establishing residency out of state if there is no SALT relief.

The people in charge in Washington may experience unintended consequences as Californians/NY/NJ etc. flood into low tax states disrupting carefully drawn election districts/electoral votes and adding cost pressure to local infrastructure. Baby boomers retiring and businesses moving out of state with their personnel will add to this tidal wave.

http://thehill.com/opinion/finance/369536-census-data-show-people-flocking-to-low-tax-states

As the saying goes...be careful what you wish for...you might just get it!

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
True. My biggest concern is that they will pass this and not give any relief on SALT. I am glad we are within reach of retirement and can work remotely because we may be establishing residency out of state if there is no SALT relief.

The taxes raised are supposed to go help the poor and those on welfare. I highly doubt any of the raised taxes would be used to give relief on SALT.