• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to do with expiring Star Options?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have travel plans in place for the next 24 months. We have about 25K+ banked SOs that will be expiring at end of 2018. I think I already know the answer is that there is no option except to just let them expire.

We are already going to be gone about a third of the year, I hate to lose them but there is zero time/plan to use them before end of next year.

nativesun1979

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have travel plans in place for the next 24 months. We have about 25K+ banked SOs that will be expiring at end of 2018. I think I already know the answer is that there is no option except to just let them expire.

We are already going to be gone about a third of the year, I hate to lose them but there is zero time/plan to use them before end of next year.
What about finding a couple days they can be used to reserve a room for a TUG member and have them pay you for the guest cert?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

25K SOs could also be a nice 2-night gift for a family member or friend. We did that for our niece's anniversary. They would just need to give you plenty of dates for possible times that they can get away.

nativesun1979

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Not in the discussion forums, please.]

Last edited by a moderator:

alexb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Craigendarroch Scotland,Marriott Grande Chateau,pga golf village

alexb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

alexb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you still have these points available

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
I have 47,000 SO points that are going to expire at the end of 2017. If there's a way I can get some value from these, I don't know it. Anybody have thoughts?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I have 47,000 SO points that are going to expire at the end of 2017. If there's a way I can get some value from these, I don't know it. Anybody have thoughts?

If they are associated with a full week of ownership, or if they are Flex options, then you can deposit in II. If you are 5* Elite, you can bank them. Otherwise, the only thing you can do is make a reservation beginning on or prior to 12/31. If you're not able to use a reservation, you could give it to family or friends. Or you can book something and give it away (or trade it) on TUG. It's against the rules to rent a SO reservation, but I don't think it's inappropriate to ask for reimbursement of the "name change" fee charged by SVN.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If they are associated with a full week of ownership, or if they are Flex options, then you can deposit in II. If you are 5* Elite, you can bank them. Otherwise, the only thing you can do is make a reservation beginning on or prior to 12/31. If you're not able to use a reservation, you could give it to family or friends. Or you can book something and give it away (or trade it) on TUG. It's against the rules to rent a SO reservation, but I don't think it's inappropriate to ask for reimbursement of the "name change" fee charged by SVN.

I assume that when you say “associated with a full week of ownership” you mean that the points represent a full week, and these don’t — they’re part of one of my WKORV weeks. I wasn’t aware there was a prohibition on renting a SO reservation, but I can sort of understand it I suppose — you can rent a week that you own, but not a stay that you are using elsewhere in the Vistana network?

I’m four star elite, so I don’t think I can bank the points, I’m past the deadline.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the past, when I have had left over staroptions, I usually find rooms here or there and give them to friends.

nokaoi9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Sheraton, Westin
[This would be a good message to send privately.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Quiding

Reaction score
Hi

Bumping this.

I live in Sweden, Europe and got mycket first kid one year ago so I havent travelled to US lately and I have around 162.000 SO that Will disappear 12.31.
Ive been lazy and just didnt do anything about it but I thought I'll ask.
Cant do anything with those points, right?

3star elite
They are already banked

I own 2weeks at SVN, bought from the developer (dont even ask why :))

And one more question.
Can I book for example 2weeks at Lagunamar and not stay there and let friends stay there ord is it against some rule?

Thanks!!

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can do what you propose with Lagunamar. It is only renting to others outside your home resort that is not allowed.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Thanks for the answer but I own in Florida, not lagunamar... So then I cant, right?
As long as you aren't renting, it's permitted. Allowing a friend to use is allowed. You will need to change the guest name.

blondietink

Reaction score
Are these points banked from another year and the banked points will expire in about 2 weeks? If so, I think finding a place with availability in the next 2 weeks is doubtful especially at Lagunamar as these are event weeks. I could be wrong, though as I haven't actually checked availability online.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As it turned out, I had a couple of family members who were interested, but I spent some time searching about a month ago, and there was nothing, anywhere, available for the rest of the year. Well, not quite nothing – I found a day here, a day there at a couple of resorts. But traveling somewhere obviously isn’t particularly worthwhile unless you can get three or four contiguous nights, at least.

My biggest gripe about SVN – and I realize it’s just the nature of timeshares – is the need to plan so far ahead. If you get to October or November and still have StarOptions left, as I did, I think they’re largely worthless. I should have banked them.