• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton - Cancellation Fees

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
More thoughts/questions from our HGVC presentation yesterday....

We were told that there is no cancellation fee charged for cancellations right up to the time of check in at the TS. Is this true?

Also the sales person told us all units are completely refurbished from top to bottom every three years?? Any truth to this one?

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no cancellation FEE. You lose points. You do not pay a fee.

The units are not fully refurbished that quickly. They are normally kept up very well. You never know what type of monsters stay in the room before you, though. I once stayed in a room that was only about a month old (the building had just opened) and the couch was torn and there was a very large stain on the carpet. I only mention that because no matter how often they refresh it, people can ruin it quickly.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
We were told that there is no cancellation fee charged for cancellations right up to the time of check in at the TS. Is this true?

True but you will always lose your reservation fee (if you had one). If you cancel 31 days or more then you will get back all of your points. If you cancel 30 days or less then forfeit percentage of points based on a scale. If you have a changeable reservation, you can change it up the the day before.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can you tell me what a "changeable reservation" is?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
changeable reservation

Most club reservations (those that are typically booked at less than 9 months out) are automatically book as a changeable reservations. There are some exceptions such as Fiesta Americana. Home week and reservations booked with bonus points are automatically non-changeable.

Obviously, a changeable reservations allows you to change it either adding/reducing days or even moving the reservation to another resort/dates/unit etc.

In previous years, HGVC had options (with different fees) to book either a changeable or non-changeable reservation.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
When cancelling LT 30 days out, you can avoid losing points by changing your booking to MT 30 days out (within the same calendar year), then cancelling. That's difficult near the end of the year, so you could pay for "point protection" during that time.

What I did:
Moved a November booking that was LT 30 days away to MT 30 in December.
Then reduced it to free up some points.
Then, made a new November booking - no loss of fee, no loss of points.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
Most club reservations (those that are typically booked at less than 9 months out) are automatically book as a changeable reservations. There are some exceptions such as Fiesta Americana. Home week and reservations booked with bonus points are automatically non-changeable.

Obviously, a changeable reservations allows you to change it either adding/reducing days or even moving the reservation to another resort/dates/unit etc.

In previous years, HGVC had options (with different fees) to book either a changeable or non-changeable reservation.

Hey thanks, didn't realize bonus point reservations are "non changeable".

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
True but you will always lose your reservation fee (if you had one). If you cancel 31 days or more then you will get back all of your points. If you cancel 30 days or less then forfeit percentage of points based on a scale. If you have a changeable reservation, you can change it up the the day before.

Sorta (in regards to changing it up to the day before).
Fiesta Americana resorts cannot be changed anymore (this is "new" this year), AFAIK.

Otherwise:
"
If the reservation change uses the same or
a greater number of ClubPoints required
for the stay, the change may be made
up to one (1) day prior to check-in
. If the
reservation change decreases the number of
ClubPoints required for the stay, the change
may be made without penalty up to 31 days
in advance of the check-in date. Within 30
days prior to arrival, no changes can be made
and the standard cancellation policy applies."

The odd thing about the above is the stupid last sentence that implies you cannot make any changes in 30 days.
I'm fairly certain that you CAN change 30 days to 1 day prior to check-in provided you use the same or greater # of points.

I don't know if I saved any previous Club Rules from prior to 2017 to see if the same (IMO) poor wording exists.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I don't know if I saved any previous Club Rules from prior to 2017 to see if the same (IMO) poor wording exists.

Exact same working in 2016 rules. I am going to start saving them each year now for this exact reason.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Hey thanks, didn't realize bonus point reservations are "non changeable".

Your welcome. I have also learned much from the questions & answers.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. I asked the question, because it sounded so odd that the sales person would say they are cancellable right up to the minute of check-in without penalty. How could Hilton or anyone run a successful lodging business with that kind of a policy? We discussed this for several minutes and I asked the question a few different ways, but the sales person was adamant that you could cancel anytime. This was one of several items where the truth was not to be had, but thankfully we were well prepared because of our TUG knowledge, and able to stay firm despite some very clever, aggressive and bold selling techniques.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
but thankfully we were well prepared because of our TUG knowledge, and able to stay firm despite some very clever, aggressive and bold selling techniques.

Always glad to know that TUG has been helpful.

ontilt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Bay Club
HGVC Valdoro x2
Worldmark
Home week and reservations booked with bonus points are automatically non-changeable.

If you book a home week reservation, can you convert to points and reschedule or cancel it if you pay a cancel protection fee? I wasn't aware that that wasn't changeable.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
If you book a home week reservation, can you convert to points and reschedule or cancel it if you pay a cancel protection fee? I wasn't aware that that wasn't changeable.

You can cancel up to 31 days prior to checkin date (cancel protection only necessary less than). That is why you will sometimes see inventory available at 6-5 week mark.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Home-Week cancellation penalties (wo/protection) are as follows:
31 DAYS OR MORE - No penalty.
30 TO 15 DAYS - Forfeiture of 25% of points.
14 TO 6 DAYS - Forfeiture of 50% of points.
5 DAYS OR LESS - Forfeiture of 100% of points.

I've been a HGVC member for 10+ years.
In that time, I've never made and do not intend to make, a HW reservation.
The only time I might would be to rent out a week, and I don't plan to do so.