• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Transfer StarPoints to United Miles for 30% Bonus - but go through Marriott

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
United Airlines is offering a 30% bonus for transferring hotel points to miles.

The way to do this is:

90,000 StarPoints = 270,000 Marriott Rewards Points = Marriott Hotel and Flight package = 7 nights in a category 1 - 5 hotel PLUS 132,000 United miles AND 25,000 United Bonus Points.

So, you end up with:
1. 157,000 United Miles
2. Marriott 7 nights in Cat. 1 - 5 hotel

Makes converting (or purchasing for WSJ) StarPoints a good option!

NOTE: NEED TO REGISTER FIRST - https://promotions.united.com/offers/p2m

Marriott Travel Package - https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

Read on FrequentMiler.com
http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2017/10/12/transfer-bonus-united-30-less/

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know if the 7 nights have to be used in a single reservation or can they be split?

gravitar

TUG Member
Reaction score
The terms and conditions of the award say "seven consecutive nights"

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
so once the points are converted to MR, is there a deadline by which date one must reserve the package?

gravitar

TUG Member
Reaction score
The United promotion ends 11/30. You can convert anytime you want but after that date... no bonus

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
The United promotion ends 11/30. You can convert anytime you want but after that date... no bonus

But you don’t have to reserve a package by 11/30, correct? Thanks again.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
This may be a good value for my huge number of Starpoints. I literally have 220K right now. I have no idea what to do with those. I would fly United, if I got a good deal. I rarely fly United anymore. It used to be my favorite airline.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Question: I already have a five-night stay in Category 7 or lower that expires at the end of this year. What if I cannot use that? Is it possible to extend it a few months for my daughter-in-law to use in February?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
People have reported that Marriott had extended 12 months out upon request. I do not have personal experience.

I am in a similar boat where I need 2 5-night packages, one Cat 8 and the other Cat 9, both for Dec 2018. I intend to speak with the help desk to make sure they know and agree to get these packages extended until end 2018, with another call in Jan 2018, when I book the travel packages in Nov 2017.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There will be no issue extending the hotel certificate for another year. I don't know why Marriott doesn't just make these valid for two years. Call as late as possible before expiration as it will be extended for a year from when you extend it, not a year on top of the current expiration date.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the help. I need to have Rick call because it's in his name. I don't like to make phone calls. :)

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
There will be no issue extending the hotel certificate for another year. I don't know why Marriott doesn't just make these valid for two years. Call as late as possible before expiration as it will be extended for a year from when you extend it, not a year on top of the current expiration date.

Thanks good to know...I'm in the same situation, and need to extend my certificate in January. I talked to Marriott CS before I got certificate, and she didn't think there would be any problem extending. Her position was I was 'purchasing' the certificate so it was essentially mine for however long it took me to redeem it. Hope next CS I get is as accommodating.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
This may be a good value for my huge number of Starpoints. I literally have 220K right now. I have no idea what to do with those. I would fly United, if I got a good deal. I rarely fly United anymore. It used to be my favorite airline.
United pretty much sucks these days.

I just off a flight from Chicago to LAX last night. The seats had been reconfigured and my knees knocked against the back of the seat of the passenger in front of me. There was a mechanical problem and they had us get off the airplane while the filled out paperwork (there was a dent on the rear of the plane); and two hours later we took off. However, we spent 30 min on the tarmac and I felt like we were driving to LAX instead of flying there. Got to LAX 2 hours late, and because we were late there was no gate and again, did a Tarmac tour of LAX then sat there waiting for a gate.

Now I would think this would be an infrequent event, except last month the same thing basically happened coming from Hong Kong to Chicago (though no mechanical) and then the last time I flew to Hawaii. Maybe it's just Chicago.

All flights were United. Maybe all airlines have these problems, but it seems it happens to me mostly on United.

Plus the new seat configuration is ridiculous. Most uncomfortable ride in the skies. Too bad, I used to like United too.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about them loosing $2.4B yesterday because of the CEO.

Their Polaris product is decent specially if you are on the new 777-300.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
The CEO provided Nase some comments to made the shares drop 12.x%. In a matter of hours United became the 4 largest US Airline (based on value). I believe the order last night was AA, DL, WN, and UA. Can you believe Southwest?

Munoz was probably having a bad day...you don’t get to drop your company’s value 12.x% or $2.4B without getting worried about your future.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct.

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
United Airlines is offering a 30% bonus for transferring hotel points to miles.

The way to do this is:

90,000 StarPoints = 270,000 Marriott Rewards Points = Marriott Hotel and Flight package = 7 nights in a category 1 - 5 hotel PLUS 132,000 United miles AND 25,000 United Bonus Points.

So, you end up with:
1. 157,000 United Miles
2. Marriott 7 nights in Cat. 1 - 5 hotel

Makes converting (or purchasing for WSJ) StarPoints a good option!

NOTE: NEED TO REGISTER FIRST - https://promotions.united.com/offers/p2m

Marriott Travel Package - https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

Read on FrequentMiler.com
http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2017/10/12/transfer-bonus-united-30-less/

I just called Marriott and the agent did not know anything about the 25k bonus and referred me to United. She said the package was for the normal 132k FF miles plus the seven nights hotel. Do I call United to get this promotion? I would have thought Marriott.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I just called Marriott and the agent did not know anything about the 25k bonus and referred me to United. She said the package was for the normal 132k FF miles plus the seven nights hotel. Do I call United to get this promotion? I would have thought Marriott.
Register for the United promotion using the link in the first post, then do the travel package conversion with Marriott. Your bonus points may not show up until late January. It isn't surprising that Marriott doesn't know about this, it is United's promotion.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
Their Polaris product is decent specially if you are on the new 777-300.

Yes. The Polaris product is great! I usually never fly business (usually can't afford it); however, the flights from Chicago to Singapore and returning from Hong Kong on their non-stop had Polaris available and I was able to upgrade both ways. $500 plus 30K United miles each way. Totally worth it. You could flatten out the seat and sleep a bit. 18 hours on a one way flight is incredibly long and Polaris business class made it bearable.

Coach however, on a flight that long is horrible. They are charging for everything and making the seats uncomfortable. Also, if you check luggage domestically you have to pay unless you charge your ticket to their UA Mileage Plus card. On my trip to LAX this weekend (for a funeral) I paid with Amex miles and so we all had take carry-on. On American, as long as you have their credit card, you still get the free suitcase (you don't have to use it for your ticket). Also, with these new budget fares, called "Budget Economy;" you can't even bring a carry-on, unless it's a certain size and fits under your seat. And they measure it. The person sitting in the middle seat next to me told me she booked it without realizing she got no seat assignment and couldn't use the overhead bin to store her carry-on. Just awful. Shame on United...

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. The Polaris product is great! I usually never fly business (usually can't afford it); however, the flights from Chicago to Singapore and returning from Hong Kong on their non-stop had Polaris available and I was able to upgrade both ways. $500 plus 30K United miles each way. Totally worth it. You could flatten out the seat and sleep a bit. 18 hours on a one way flight is incredibly long and Polaris business class made it bearable.

Coach however, on a flight that long is horrible. They are charging for everything and making the seats uncomfortable. Also, if you check luggage domestically you have to pay unless you charge your ticket to their UA Mileage Plus card. On my trip to LAX this weekend (for a funeral) I paid with Amex miles and so we all had take carry-on. On American, as long as you have their credit card, you still get the free suitcase (you don't have to use it for your ticket). Also, with these new budget fares, called "Budget Economy;" you can't even bring a carry-on, unless it's a certain size and fits under your seat. And they measure it. The person sitting in the middle seat next to me told me she booked it without realizing she got no seat assignment and couldn't use the overhead bin to store her carry-on. Just awful. Shame on United...
Do you mind sharing on how do you get upgrades like that? I have to struggle to come up with 350K miles each time I make a roundtrip to Asia.

Never mind, googled... and found the info on United web site.

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Also, with these new budget fares, called "Budget Economy;" you can't even bring a carry-on, unless it's a certain size and fits under your seat. And they measure it. The person sitting in the middle seat next to me told me she booked it without realizing she got no seat assignment and couldn't use the overhead bin to store her carry-on. Just awful. Shame on United...

Or perhaps shame on the passenger for not reading the multiple enormous pop-ups that appear to describe the limitations of her Basic Economy fare? There are plenty of legitimate reasons to complain about the new Budget Economy fares on the Big 3 airlines, but "not realizing" that the limitations would actually apply to her isn't one of them.