• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Like I said...I'll try and give it a shot. I just have too many distractions with II. I seem to match everything I can use right now (too much work getting in the way).
I am very interested in the big island one of these days and Luxxe or similar if I talk my wife into a nice Mexican exchange. Maybe something on the Baja side.

JuliGee

Reaction score
You know...

The real reason I haven't set up elaborate exchange requests with SFX is exactly what @klpca said: no online exchange system. The terms of the exchange request with SFX and inability to cancel/monitor/search the request electronically are exactly what scares me.
I guess I'll try again. The last time I tried, the CS rep with SFX was very helpful, but also very discouraging about my request due to the specificity and restrictions. My reply was 'well, your terms require me to accept any match that meets my criteria, so here are the only resorts/dates I'll actually accept without question...."

sounds like I need to place a request for something good.

I'm sorry, but that information simply is not correct.

They do have an online exchange system, and you can cancel, monitor and search electronically. They have had this for several years now. Where did you get your information from? They do have a rule that if they get you the exact match for what you specifically asked for, meaning resort names, dates etc. then you are required to pay the exchange fee. Is that any different to the other companies that charge you upfront?

When we place a request with them, we typically give them a list of the resorts we would definitely accept if there is a match. Sometimes they have offered us alternatives to our list for our yes or no. Like yesterday, they called with an offer for a NY week at the Hilton on W.57th in early June. It was a luxury large studio. We had requested a one bedroom unit at the Manhattan Club, but accepted the unit at Hilton because there are only two of us, and it is a great property in a great location. We used our Marriott Newport Coast unit for this exchange.

Juli

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
They do have a rule that if they get you the exact match for what you specifically asked for, meaning resort names, dates etc. then you are required to pay the exchange fee. Is that any different to the other companies that charge you upfront?
Yes, it is different. RCI holds a unit you have requested, until you either don't confirm it or you choose to confirm it. If you don't see the match, or you cannot travel, the hold just expires and goes to the next person in line. That is how it works.

With II, you just call within 24 hours of the match and cancel the match.

So it is different. Not that SFX has ever insisted I pay for an exchange I have already gotten from another company while waiting for them to match. When you enter a request six months ago and you already get what you want from II, why should you pay for that match?

And by the way, Juli, the online search for SFX is pitiful. Those are truly the leftovers (or the Mexico resorts).

ronandjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Yes, it is different. RCI holds a unit you have requested, until you either don't confirm it or you choose to confirm it. If you don't see the match, or you cannot travel, the hold just expires and goes to the next person in line. That is how it works.

With II, you just call within 24 hours of the match and cancel the match.

So it is different. Not that SFX has ever insisted I pay for an exchange I have already gotten from another company while waiting for them to match. When you enter a request six months ago and you already get what you want from II, why should you pay for that match?

And by the way, Juli, the online search for SFX is pitiful. Those are truly the leftovers (or the Mexico resorts).

Several times RCI has booked us a week with an OGS and did not even inform us!! And it was NOT one of my requested resorts. I saw the booking later on while I was just checking the account. Fortunately they canceled them when I called but I am not doing any more OGS with RCI. As other times I found matches when browsing online fir the exact place I had asked for , and had not gotten them. I know others are successful but RCI certainly did not help us with an OGS.

SFX has been a positive experience for us as I out in the resorts in the area I'll accept ... and they have actually call to confirm the exchange. But yes, they also try to give you an alternative if available just in case.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
And how is that different than RCI or II? Are you saying that they are not leftovers in those systems as well? If not, what Ongoing Searches are they denying in order to put those weeks into the available online pool?

I think what you are really seeing is that SFX just simply does not have the volume of weeks deposited that RCI and II have, so it ends up that there are very few "leftovers" for SFX to present online.

Kurt

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I agree. I think the volume of available units 'online' for exchange at SFX is pretty low and limited. But, I've not spent much time there.
I do understand the SFX policy; I've had extensive talks with CS agents about it.

I'm certainly not 'slamming' SFX, just admitting I haven't used it much--due to unfamiliarity--and am now interested in trying.

Sorry for starting a feud.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. I think the volume of available units 'online' for exchange at SFX is pretty low and limited. But, I've not spent much time there.
I do understand the SFX policy; I've had extensive talks with CS agents about it.

I'm certainly not 'slamming' SFX, just admitting I haven't used it much--due to unfamiliarity--and am now interested in trying.

Sorry for starting a feud.

No need to apologize. It was, IMO, a legitimate question, and a legitimate concern. The checkbox/whatever certainly says that if an exact match is found, and you don't want it, you have to pay the fee-fee.

While I personally have had good success with SFX, and I like the company, I also tell people to *try* it before paying for the membership. I know the limitations of SFX and have found that *for me*, it's still a great fit. I own HGVC so am forced to use RCI (we don't have II access and you can't just "buy" a membership with II or make a deposit like you can with SFX or DAE), so my knowledge about II is limited. I've not had an issue with RCI per se. Well, except that time their website popped up a notice stating there was a $75 resort fee, and then after I booked, the confirmation said it was $12/adult/day, and they basically told me I could either accept the $12/adult/day fee, or cancel, regardless of what their website said when I booked it (I had screenshots to prove it).

I just dislike their (IMO) exorbitant fees. Their Maui resorts aren't very good (IMO, they only have one that's "eh" and based upon the TA forums and the reviews it's not very good at all). Then again, SFX doesn't get Maui deposits very often (and to be honest, if I owned Marriott in Maui, I wouldn't deposit it with *any* exchange company unless it was the only way to get to stay elsewhere).

IMO, every exchange company has its pros and cons. Find what works best for *you*. Until it doesn't (LOL).
Same with timeshare companies. Every company has its pros and cons and what some may like, others may hate.

Feel free to ask any other questions, and I'll be happy to try to assist you.

And, it's OK to "slam" any company, IMO. It's just stating your opinion, and it's no different than any review you may see on Yelp or elsewhere.

Although if you *do* have any issues with SFX, I would advise to call their reps as they are usually very good/responsive.

--Kevin

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Thanks for the kind words.
I got a diamond membership (for cheap) back when I bought. I've actually got a 2br WM holiday week on deposit with SFX. I've done one OGS with them, but it was exceptionally specific (for Hawaii) and wasn't a fair shake.

I'll try again and plug in a few good destinations.
I'm pretty sad right now....we had St Thomas in Nov (gone) and were planning Napa (on hold) and would Carmel area (bridge out). So, I'm trying to come up with some good alternatives.

Cheers!

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Thanks for the kind words.
I got a diamond membership (for cheap) back when I bought. I've actually got a 2br WM holiday week on deposit with SFX. I've done one OGS with them, but it was exceptionally specific (for Hawaii) and wasn't a fair shake.

I'll try again and plug in a few good destinations.
I'm pretty sad right now....we had St Thomas in Nov (gone) and were planning Napa (on hold) and would Carmel area (bridge out). So, I'm trying to come up with some good alternatives.

Cheers!

The bridge is open.

http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/highway_conditions.html

There is still a landslide on the PCH south of that. But if your hope was to drive the PCH south from Carmel to Big Sur, you can now do so for 62 miles. That's a pretty nice day trip.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Great news....I hadn't heard.
It's been rough year for certain parts of the country.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
And how is that different than RCI or II? Are you saying that they are not leftovers in those systems as well? If not, what Ongoing Searches are they denying in order to put those weeks into the available online pool?

I think what you are really seeing is that SFX just simply does not have the volume of weeks deposited that RCI and II have, so it ends up that there are very few "leftovers" for SFX to present online.

Kurt
I find inventory sitting online with RCI and II much more often, but believe me, I am no fan of RCI and their ridiculous fees. I have a lot of TPU's in RCI that may never be used. RCI has gone down a terrible road. I stopped depositing my ski and summer weeks at Val Chatelle with them. I deposit my weeks with htse.net now, and I get much more value out of them. I like Hawaiian Timeshare Exchange a lot. I also like Trading Place Maui.

I do like II and have the Starwood preference, which I use quite a bit. I also like Marriott preference and get some great resorts that way.

I have about 16 weeks deposited, give or take, with SFX and don't get matches to any of my searches. We travel 12 weeks per year and only two of those weeks are weeks we actually own. All of the rest I get via exchange, but SFX rarely has a thing to offer. And yes, sometimes I am very specific about my requests.

I could maybe be more flexible for trips over a year out. We have no desire to go to Mexico. I keep hoping for a San Francisco exchange for next summer through SFX. It's something I requested months ago. I hope to get it. I have turned down matches from II for the same period of time, believe it or not. II works very well for me.

Several times RCI has booked us a week with an OGS and did not even inform us!! And it was NOT one of my requested resorts. I saw the booking later on while I was just checking the account. Fortunately they canceled them when I called but I am not doing any more OGS with RCI. As other times I found matches when browsing online fir the exact place I had asked for , and had not gotten them. I know others are successful but RCI certainly did not help us with an OGS.

Well, this has never happened to me. Some of my holds just expire. I have never checked a box anywhere that says to automatically confirm anything. Is there such a box? I have been a member of RCI since 1983 and have never had that happen via an ongoing search. I have confirmed something I saw online and have forgotten to cancel. Things are held, and I either ignore the holds or confirm them myself.

I wish SFX did work for us. I have deposits I want to use, and I had a Platinum account for ten years to use them, and now I am supposedly Diamond. Doesn't help one bit.

Right now, we are staying at Kahana Beach Resort, two weeks back-to-back, II exchanges, and I got these units with our Marriott studios. These were the best exchanges I have received in a while. These one bedrooms are oceanfront and the unit is air conditioned. It's a fantastic trade. I would love to stay here again at any time of year. II just works so well.

I have about 8 requests ongoing with SFX. I lose track. I don't get the phone calls from SFX others get. My ongoing requests just expire. We used to be tied to Rick's work schedule, and now we are more flexible, but air travel requires a little planning. I cannot take things last-minute. Not that I have ever been offered anything last-minute.

I have some other requests I can enter with SFX. I would love to get some matches, so I will attempt some new searches.

We own way too many timeshares. That is the truth. And some of my SFX deposits will expire. That is another truth. How can I count on anything coming through for me, based on my past experience?