• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Next week end.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I was speaking with some one today and said I had plans for next week end. Today is Oct 18 making next week end Oct 21, imo.

I am told that next week end is Oct 28 because Oct 21 is this week end. Even if Oct 21st is this week end it doesn't change the fact that it is the next week end and Oct 28th is the week end after that.

That makes Oct 28 the week end after this next week end , but it was explained to me that Oct 28 is the week end after this week end making it the next week end.

I think I am right ?????

Bill

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I call the weekend at the end of the current week "this weekend" (Oct. 21) and the weekend after that "next weekend" (Oct. 28.)

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I'm with DeniseM on this one. Sorry, Bill.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think I am right ?????
Nope. I would have to agree with the others. This weekend is the 21st and next weekend is the 28th. Though perhaps if it was Monday, the 21st would still be next weekend even though it is probably this weekend.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is deja vu at my home. My husband would say next weekend (10/21) which is really this weekend to me. I am with Denise on this.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Nope. I would have to agree with the others. This weekend is the 21st and next weekend is the 28th. Though perhaps if it was Monday, the 21st would still be next weekend even though it is probably this weekend.
Well ... maybe ... but only (to me) if Monday were a holiday and, thus, still part of the "current" weekend. ;P

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I care one way or the other about WHAT the plans are ... I clarify the meaning of what days. Is that the Sat, the 21st or the 28?

If I am coming up with an excuse as it is a NoWay plan .. I just say I have plans ... gives me time to excuse myself to the bathroom or out the door.

If I have plans one of the weeks AND want to do this activity, I say, GREAT .... the 28th is perfect as I can't do this coming 21st date.

PS One of the good friends regularly comments, that I seldom give a straight answer to any of questions ... but as the boss, questions MUST be understood by me and my answers best be "NO" if I need to think about the question. I have found you can always change a "NO" to a "YES" .. but agreeing to someone's plan and then changing to "NO" ... never seems to please people.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I call the weekend at the end of the current week "this weekend" (Oct. 21) and the weekend after that "next weekend" (Oct. 28.)

Because you are a rational person. ;)

At least we don't call this weekend "on the weekend," because that is just. wrong. ;)

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Even though this upcoming week end, Oct 21, is this week end, it is the very next week end and Oct 28 would be the week end after next. So if some one told me to meet here on the week end after next I would think it is not this upcoming week end Oct 21 but Oct 28.

If we were to meet on this upcoming week end , Oct 21, I think that a person could say lets meet next week end and I would think Oct 21, not Oct 28.

It is interesting how not being very specific can lead to miscommunication. I actually though I was being specific using "next week end" but maybe not. :D

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, is next Christmas , Christmas 2017 or Christmas 2018 ? To me, it would be Christmas 2017. This Christmas would mean the same to me as next Christmas. The same goes for the week end.

Bill

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Ok, next item:

Is 2:50 "ten of 3" or "ten to 3" or "ten till 3"?

Kurt

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/29104/this-weekend-vs-next-weekend

While I agree that, in October, this Christmas is 2017 and next Christmas is probably 2018, if it were January then I think both this and next Christmas would be the one 11 months away.

It might depend on the context. If you said "I'm going to Hawaii next Christmas" in January, it's more likely you're talking about the current year rather than the next, 23 months away.

This sort of mirrors the meaning of "next weekend" depending on whether today is Monday or Thursday.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
What is a weekend? (rhetorical)
"Now that I'm retired, my life is an endless-weekend."
... as seen on a t-shirt.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the plural of mouse is mice, isn't the plural of house, hice?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok, next item:

Is 2:50 "ten of 3" or "ten to 3" or "ten till 3"?

Kurt

For me anyway, I always use the hour then minute format meaning that 2:50 would be 2:50. Occasionally I use the 24 hour format meaning 2:50 could only be early in the morning and 2:50 in the after noon is 14:50.

I think the plural of house is homes as in I built many homes in that subdivision. I have heard people say houses and I do understand they mean more than one house.

The next week end dealio has been used by me through 40 years of hanging out with my wife for as far back as I can remember. I told her I had plans for next week end and after telling her what I was doing she said my plans are for this week end which I explained is next week end. This wasn't an issue but was marked on the calendar for the 28th instead of the 21st which I explained was the wrong week end.

Bill

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To me, plural of house is always houses. Home is where one calls it their "home", a place where they go "home" to and in which it implies they feel secure and safe and in the case of someone with a partner or family - loved. :)

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh, boy. To me 'House' is not equal to 'Home.' A house is a physical structure ... home is created by the love dwelling inside the structure.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was speaking with some one today and said I had plans for next week end. Today is Oct 18 making next week end Oct 21, imo.

I am told that next week end is Oct 28 because Oct 21 is this week end. Even if Oct 21st is this week end it doesn't change the fact that it is the next week end and Oct 28th is the week end after that.

That makes Oct 28 the week end after this next week end , but it was explained to me that Oct 28 is the week end after this week end making it the next week end.

I think I am right ?????

Bill

It’s what ever communicates what you mean to the person you are talking to. If they understand next weekend to be something different that what you mean. You are in trouble.

To me “this weekend” makes no sense unless it’s friday saturday or Sunday

If You Say “this weekend” on a Tuesday I’d say “it’s tuesday, it’s not a weekend at all”

So for me I’d say this weekend refers to this weekend. The one we are currently experiencing. Next weekend is simply the next one up

Similarly, this month is October and next month is November. This year is 2017 and next year is 2018.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This thread is giving me a headache. LOL!:confused: