• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southwest flying to Hawaii

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I've had the SWA companion pass for the past few years. It's amazing. We can fly both of us to LA from Oakland for $49 + 5.60 tax. That's cheaper and faster than driving and enables us to take frequent weekend getaways to visit family.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I will stick with my Alaska with Companion Fare and 1 free checked bag.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I have used Alaska companion fare to Hawaii also. They enable you to change up to 60 days prior with no change fees which works as well. With Alaska/Virgin and Southwest offering better flexibility, more legroom, and free bags, I don't know how the big 3 will compete for California based travelers.

Bring on the fare war!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
From the East Coast to Hawaii ... BRING YOUR OWN FOOD .. for me, it will be the 4 full length Hoagies plus 2 full box of chocolate Tasty Cakes .. as I plan on trading the 1/2 of the Tasty Cakes and Hoagies for free drinks. Southwest does not have food other than peanuts or chips on its flights.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I will stick with my Alaska with Companion Fare and 1 free checked bag.
The advantage with the Alaska Companion Fare (at least the one I get by having an Alaska Airlines credit card) is that I get one each year regardless of how many flights I've taken during the year. The down side is that I have to pay for one flight in order to use the Companion Fare. Also, we get one free bag, as opposed to the two free bags with Southwest. But I probably won't make enough Southwest flights to get their companion pass. I don't get it even with the Southwest credit card I have.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
From the East Coast to Hawaii ... BRING YOUR OWN FOOD .. for me, it will be the 4 full length Hoagies plus 2 full box of chocolate Tasty Cakes .. as I plan on trading the 1/2 of the Tasty Cakes and Hoagies for free drinks. Southwest does not have food other than peanuts or chips on its flights.
From the east coast there will be at least one layover, if not two. Those who can fly direct to perhaps Oakland can fly with one stop, but if you have two stops to the west coast, it will take at least two. Currently Southwest flies from Baltimore to Oakland. That may make a single stop flight, but even Southwests new planes don't have the range to fly from any further than a west coast airport to Hawaii. It is the range of their new 737s that is opening up this new route.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The other airlines don't have food either, unless you purchase it onboard, or you're flying First Class. We always take our own food on.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Great news! I was hoping SW would start service by Q4 next year. I was surprised by the idea of the inter-island flights, but like it.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The other airlines don't have food either, unless you purchase it onboard, or you're flying First Class. We always take our own food on.

There was a Beverly Hillbillies episode in which the Clampetts took their first airplane ride.
They thought it'd be like a bus ride and they'd need to bring their own food. What?
... Apparently, they were ahead of their times.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Hawaiian Airlines is an exception to the common rule about food and they DO offer a free in-flight meal.
BUT there's no choice about the meal - take it or leave it. No vegetarian option, no option for allergies or celiac etc.
So even on Hawaiian I would bring food, and absolutely I would bring food for SW or other airlines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We flew Alaska Airlines to Seattle from Orlando then to Honolulu. We stayed in Seattle one day each way. We took Island Air from Honolulu to Maui then we flew back to Seattle and back to Orlando on Alaska the next day. I would be interested to see if Southwest will fly to Seattle non stop from Orlando then Seattle to Hawaii non stop. It will be a few years before we go back to Hawaii but it’s good to have options.
Silentg

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We flew Alaska Airlines to Seattle from Orlando then to Honolulu. We stayed in Seattle one day each way. We took Island Air from Honolulu to Maui then we flew back to Seattle and back to Orlando on Alaska the next day. I would be interested to see if Southwest will fly to Seattle non stop from Orlando then Seattle to Hawaii non stop. It will be a few years before we go back to Hawaii but it’s good to have options.
Silentg
Currently it doesn't look like SW has a nonstop flight from Orlando to Seattle. They have some direct, which has a stop but you don't change planes. I would doubt (but could be wrong) they will change those options. I think when they open up flights to Hawaii it will be from the west coast, most likely Oakland, but won't do anything to change their routes from the east to the west.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Silentg
Orlando to San Diego is an option.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bring food staples such as drinks, energy bars, coffee & spices, and dive gear such as snorkels, fins.
You brought coffee TO Hawaii? I always bring coffee home FROM Hawaii.

I live near EWR, Newark, NJ, and I am stuck with UA. I used to have a high elite status (1K) but now I am a puny silver elite. I never get upgraded, nor do I expect to.

When I fly to HI I take UA but I go First Class using miles. I could not stand those horrible coach seats for 11 hours. I'd be a cripple when I got off the plane.

My son and his family are going in July, 2018. For their collective birthday and Christmas presents (only my son, daughter in law and granddaughter) I gave them 270,00 UA miles to fly first class from Buffalo to Maui. They liked that. Who wouldn't? Of course they are staying at the Marriott in Maui and then again on the Big Island. It helps to have a mom, mom in law, and grammy who owns a lot of timeshares. I want this trip to be the trip of their dreams.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You brought coffee TO Hawaii? I always bring coffee home FROM Hawaii.

Kona is one of my favorite coffees. But there could be a reason to import it.

Currently, I'm into Jamaican Blue Mountain, which strangely enuff, costs more there than at my Fresh Market in Florida. So, the next time I go to Jamaica, I might bring some with me. ;)

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Remember a bag of coffee or coffee beans only has to be 10% Kona Beans to be called Kona Coffee. You have to search to find 100% Kona. Kauai Coffee Company Coffee is always 100% Kauai Coffee. Maui also,grows some great coffee.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
My son and his family are going in July, 2018. For their collective birthday and Christmas presents (only my son, daughter in law and granddaughter) I gave them 270,00 UA miles to fly first class from Buffalo to Maui. They liked that. Who wouldn't? Of course they are staying at the Marriott in Maui and then again on the Big Island. It helps to have a mom, mom in law, and grammy who owns a lot of timeshares. I want this trip to be the trip of their dreams.

It sounds like a "dream" trip to me! That's a very awesome "collective" gift!
:thumbup:

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
Currently, I'm into Jamaican Blue Mountain, which strangely enuff, costs more there than at my Fresh Market in Florida. So, the next time I go to Jamaica, I might bring some with me.

LOL - when we were in Jamaica earlier this year, we went shopping to buy coffee for my brother. We were shocked at the price; went back to the room and checked Amazon and ordered the same exact coffee delivered through Prime for 1/2 the price they were asking in Jamaica. It was waiting on our porch when we got home and we took it to my brother.