• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chair Hogs

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We stayed at a resort that large groups of people had pool chairs saved. If they are in the pool no one will take the chairs. But when chairs were unattended for more than an hour the pool attendant would pick up the towels and put them in the used towel bin. Usually we give our chairs to others when we are leaving and have had others do the same for us. This saving seats is a childish habit. Grow up when on vacation we all want to enjoy the poolside.
Silentg

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anytime I encounter that now and when they tell me its their seat, I tell them I have been sitting here for hours and if it was your seat I would be sitting on top of you but since I'm sitting and you're standing, you must be mistaken.

Thanks for this suggestion. I am going to use this line on my cruise in April.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana KOR South and North. Vistana Nanea.
We were at Nanea recently and I would agree, much less of an issue. That said,one morning at 7:00am every one of the lounges in the raised step in portion of the main pool was “reserved”. I should have taken a picture because it was so blatant.

At the North the week before the problem was more pronounced. We had reserved a Cabana but I felt sorry for all the people who would come by, look at the reserved but empty lounge, look around in bewilderment and them have to walk away. I noted this on my survey (once again). Even commented on it when I received a call from Owner Services mid week asking how our stay was going. They specifically asked what they were doing well and any areas they could improve. So . . .

At the North I noticed new signs. Simply stating that pools are for active use and items left unattended for extended periods (no times specified) may be removed for others to enjoy the lounge. I’m curious if they removed the specific time limits to give them more flexibility to enforce the rules or to make it so ambigious and subjective that they don’t have to enforce the rules with any consistency.

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Anytime I encounter that now and when they tell me its their seat, I tell them I have been sitting here for hours and if it was your seat I would be sitting on top of you but since I'm sitting and you're standing, you must be mistaken.

Thanks my this suggestion. I am going to use this line on my cruise in April.

I just used this verbiage on a business trip. A group of my colleagues and I went down to the pool area on our last day around 12:30. Could only find one chair, waited for a half hour while 10 chairs in front of us were saved with towels. We took the 10 chairs moved all the towels to the one chair we vacated and at 5:30 a group of teenagers came over -and told us those chairs were theirs. LOL

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Must go on record here. On my early morning walk last week, Westin Nanea, 7:30am Thursday October 12th 2017. Not a single towel on a single chair. Should have taken a photograph. Either a quiet week or Nanea is attracting a better class of visitor :clap:
Quiet. This is low season in Hawaii. Lower occupancy. Even if all the rooms are full, they usually have fewer guests per villa. So people aren't necessarily out trying to reserve 10 chairs for all their friends because it is often just couples.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Quiet. This is low season in Hawaii. Lower occupancy. Even if all the rooms are full, they usually have fewer guests per villa. So people aren't necessarily out trying to reserve 10 chairs for all their friends because it is often just couples.
It was definitely quieter that when we usually stay, June-August but the resorts were still busy. It was just unusual to see what I would estimate were over 300 pool chairs without a single towel on them at that time in the morning.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
If the resorts would only bother to enforce these rules, and the chair hogs actually had their stuff removed, then the hogs would get the message. As it stands now the only message is - don't pay attention to signs.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
If the resorts would only bother to enforce these rules, and the chair hogs actually had their stuff removed, then the hogs would get the message. As it stands now the only message is - don't pay attention to signs.

What would be really good for the 'gross' offenders is if towels etc. were removed and placed in the closest private cabana. When the offenders finally showed up they should be informed that as it looked like they needed a reserved space their belongings had been placed there for safe keeping and could they supply their room number for the $200 charge to be applied :)

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score

Signs mean absolutely nothing to offenders in all walks of life. Signs are only for those that need direction on "what to do" and care enough to do it. Not everyone abides by the unwritten rule of "do the right thing" either.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Maybe people should have to leave their cellphones out to hold their chairs, or $20 dollar bills. Then no one "reserve" a chair and not sit in it.

beachlynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another beef I have is the people who are so lazy they won't remove their towels when they leave. Lounge chairs are at such a premium most of the times and sometimes it is hard to tell whether people are in the pool or if it ok to put your towels down and enjoy. If the walk is too strenuous for you the very least you could do is pull them off and put them in a pile. I don't know how people get around having enough towels to turn in at the end of the week but we have ended up with extra towels. It mostly happens when the pool hut is closed

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Another beef I have is the people who are so lazy they won't remove their towels when they leave. Lounge chairs are at such a premium most of the times and sometimes it is hard to tell whether people are in the pool or if it ok to put your towels down and enjoy. If the walk is too strenuous for you the very least you could do is pull them off and put them in a pile. I don't know how people get around having enough towels to turn in at the end of the week but we have ended up with extra towels. It mostly happens when the pool hut is closed
At Lagunamar they often come and make pillows for you adding extra towels to your lounge chair, so we always end up with many extras by the end. Surprising people would leave their towels though. It is always nice to have a few extras in the room so I would expect they would take them. We haven't experienced the chair hog issue yet but we have only been to Lagunamar so far. Hopefully this summer in Maui will be the same.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Signs mean absolutely nothing to offenders in all walks of life. Signs are only for those that need direction on "what to do" and care enough to do it. Not everyone abides by the unwritten rule of "do the right thing" either.
So true. We were at Haleakala yesterday, viewing the silverword plants in the middle of the parking lot at the top, and a woman was walking on the dirt, off of the path, to take pictures up close of the stalks. Rick told her not to walk on the dirt, to walk on the path, as the signs instructed! She was not speaking another language because she moved off of the dirt. Stupid woman. All of the signs say that the root structure is very fragile and the plants die when people walk near them.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
So true. We were at Haleakala yesterday, viewing the silverword plants in the middle of the parking lot at the top, and a woman was walking on the dirt, off of the path, to take pictures up close of the stalks. Rick told her not to walk on the dirt, to walk on the path, as the signs instructed! She was not speaking another language because she moved off of the dirt. Stupid woman. All of the signs say that the root structure is very fragile and the plants die when people walk near them.
This is why we can't have nice things.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
At Lagunamar now. I took this photo at about 10am. I think they forgot we have a chair hog policy. Unbelievable!!! Not enforced at all.
The thing is, all those towels wrapped around the pillows were all placed by pool attendants.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
The thing is, all those towels wrapped around the pillows were all placed by pool attendants.

Agreed. The pool chair policy is mainly a suggesttion, contrary to the language in what you sign for at check in. Why even have a policy if you aren’t going to enforce it. I know Lagunamar isn’t the only problem.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Recently stayed at a small resort on the beach with a lot of fixed weeks owners. Every day all the chaise lounges and the table and chairs on the sunny side were saved. The first time I went in the pool, one of the group said. Who said you could come in here. I guess that was a joke.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Recently stayed at a small resort on the beach with a lot of fixed weeks owners. Every day all the chaise lounges and the table and chairs on the sunny side were saved. The first time I went in the pool, one of the group said. Who said you could come in here. I guess that was a joke.

Wow. That was exceedingly rude. I can't imagine anyone is dense enough to think what was said was humorous.

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
This is exactly what annoys me too! Look at all these chairs 'reserved' at 7am. not a soul seated. ALL resorts need to start controlling this better, in my opinion. there is NO excuse for any chair (prime location or not) to go unused for half a day or more, just because somebody tossed their resort towel on it. it's selfish and rude.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    410.8 KB · Views: 142

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
This is exactly what annoys me too! Look at all these chairs 'reserved' at 7am. not a soul seated. ALL resorts need to start controlling this better, in my opinion. there is NO excuse for any chair (prime location or not) to go unused for half a day or more, just because somebody tossed their resort towel on it. it's selfish and rude.

Where is this located?

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
Where is this located?
This was taken at 7am Maui time at the Westin Maui resort and spa this morning 01/03/2018. there have been a lot of complaints from nanea as well. I am wondering if they are overbooked currently as I have stayed at both and haven't seen them this busy.

It is now 8am and nobody has made use of those chairs, except for all the people walking up with their towels and skulking away disappointed. slow day today . LOL

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The first time I heard of chair hogs it was just on cruise ships, and sadly it has spread to resorts. I don't know why management at every resort can't just develop a spine and tell the guests/owners that there isn't enough room around the pool for every guest to have a chair, every minute of the day. There are probably enough chairs to accommodate those who wish to sit by the pool, but it depends on folks vacating the pool area at some point during the day in order to free up space for others to use. And for goodness sake, management needs to get more umbrellas too! Not too many people want to bake themselves in the sun anymore, unlike what we did in the 70's (baby oil anyone???).

Me, I'm not a pool person. I never sat by the pool once when we were at Nanea so I have no idea if there were chair hog issues, but it seems so weird that people stake out their territory then don't use it. Can you imagine if everyone decided to get to the grocery store early to get a good parking place, parked their car, and then didn't come back for three hours? It would be a mess!