• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Avenue Plaza - Everything old is new again

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Just sharing info...

I called to prepay MFs and make reservations for 2018.

I first asked if the 2017 rule change regarding overlapping reservations for split usage was still in effect. I was happy to hear that they reversed that rule change and I have confirmation numbers for my 2018 3/4 night reservations for the same weekend.

I was also told that RTU weeks can, once again, be made for a unit type other than what you own. I didn't try to book one though.

mpeter15

Reaction score
Great to hear since I'm currently closing on a Wyndham Avenue Plaza studio unit! Thank You for the info!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
ill be confirming this and then Ill be buying Avenue Plaza once again

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
ill be confirming this and then Ill be buying Avenue Plaza once again

I just called into change the guest name on a reservation, and they did confirm overlapping splits are allowed again (still no splitting event weeks though).

cyseitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, only overlapping reservations with the same exact dates are in jeopardy if they are reserved in the same name?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, only overlapping reservations with the same exact dates are in jeopardy if they are reserved in the same name?
The names don’t make any difference to anything. I don’t know about now, but in the past you could add a guests name when making the reservation and the resort would never get it. I always had to call the resort to let them know who was checking in

Avenue plaza allows split reservations with any day check in, so a weeks ownership allows one three day and one four day reservation. We used to be able to make them both for the same weekend. A second feature of an avenue plaza ownership is the right to use weeks. For every week you own you have the right to use another week. And that week can be split too. What some of us did was to make 4 reservations for the same popular weekend with one ownership. I owned 10 weeks so I would make 40 reservations for the same popular weekend.and I know another guy that did the same thing. Which limited availability for other owners

They stopped the practice of making overlapping reservations so as to provide more availability

I cant say why they switched back and if they get enough complaints. I bet they stop overlapping reservations again

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe you and your buddies were not squeezing out as many other people as you thought.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe you and your buddies were not squeezing out as many other people as you thought.
Or as many as they thought

Actually I think it was an over reaction to a problem with an event week. Some owners of the week couldn’t get a reservation because of all the folks like me that that doubled up splits for that weekend

The problem was just for the event weeks, but the solution extended to all weeks.

Last edited:

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
The rep I spoke to said they found that they were legally unable to prohibit overlapping split reservations. I didn't ask for more info

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
To all owners - HOA votes are RIGHT NOW. You can vote online or via mail. There are only two candidates - one is a Wyndham employee and the other is a regular owner like us. You know which one I voted for ;)

A second feature of an avenue plaza ownership is the right to use weeks. For every week you own you have the right to use another week.
Would that mean that I could possibly book two weeks either back-to-back or two units during the same week? If possible to make reservations for two units during the same week then I would like to do that so I can invite my whole family to come!
If yes to either, how do I do that?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it works the way it used to you can use the week you own to reserve one unit and your right-to-use week to reserve another unit for the same week

Or you could use your owned week to make one reservation for 3 nights and another reservation for an overlapping 4 nights (thurs Fri Sat Sun and Fri Sat Sun, for example)

Or use 3 nights from your owned week and 3 nights from your right to use week For the same weekend. Saving the 4 night for another long weekend

Or you could do 4 reservations for the same weekend

You should also know that there are some one bedrooms adjacent to studios with connecting doors. You can’t reserve them as lock offs but if you reserve a one bedroom and a studio you can request one one of these for your group

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Would that mean that I could possibly book two weeks either back-to-back or two units during the same week? If possible to make reservations for two units during the same week then I would like to do that so I can invite my whole family to come!
If yes to either, how do I do that?

If I remember correctly you own week 8, right? You can not book a right to use week for any of the event weeks, so you would no be able to book it for Lundi Gras week or the following Mardis Gras week.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly you own week 8, right? You can not book a right to use week for any of the event weeks, so you would no be able to book it for Lundi Gras week or the following Mardis Gras week.

I used to own 4 event weeks, 18, 8 and two 9’s. But not any more.

You are exactly right. You can’t use a right to use week for any of the event weeks. And neither can you split the event weeks

I used to split my there week 8 and 9’s to get 3 three day, and 3 four day reservations in Mardi Gras season

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
But it sounds like I could get a week 7 abutting my week 8.

Or two week 7s. If I did sun-sun week 7s then I'd still get parades and festivities :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
But it sounds like I could get a week 7 abutting my week 8.

Or two week 7s. If I did sun-sun week 7s then I'd still get parades and festivities :D
I

Everything at avenue plaza is a floating week (even an event week can be used for the event owned or any of the 47 non event weeks)

Mardi Gras is not at the same time every year. For example Mardi Gras 2018 is week 6. But the owners of week 9 always get Mardi Gras week, whenever it falls on the calendar. And the owners of week 8 always get the week before Mardi Gras

The other event weeks are Week 17 and 18 Jazz Fest and week 52, the Sugar Bowl.

A week 7 is no different than any of the other non event weeks. The deeds at avenue plaza specify a week and unit number, but they all float across the 47 non-event weeks. So what you say about week 7 isn’t correct. You can use any week ownership to reserve the week before the week before Mardi Gras. And at least when I owned at avenue plaza you couldn’t do a Sunday to Sunday reservation before an event week because it would overlap into the event week

Last edited:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I understand the way NOLA event weeks work.That's WHY we own a week 8 at Avenue Plaza. We like Mardi Gras week but think the week before Mardi Gras week is more tame and better suited for family-friendly stuff, but still with plenty of festivities. Week 8 with a Friday checkin includes "Family Gras" (free Carnival themed event with music etc). So we figured we can do Fri-Fri when we want the family experience and Sun-Sun if we want the weekend before Mardi Gras for renting out our week etc.

In 2018 we're using our regular event week. I am not planning to add week 7 or switch to week 7. But in 2019 that week overlaps with Presidents Day, which means taking the kiddo out of school is easier since he'd only miss 3 or 4 days of school rather than a whole week. And it might be easier for my other family to travel during that week. So that's when I'm thinking about maybe doing two week 7s instead of our usual event week 8.

I am guessing that if I traded my event week for week 7 (which I know may not technically be week 7 every year, just using that title for the week for simplification, what we're both talking about is the week before event week 8 or two weeks before Mardi Gras week, but in 2019 it IS actually week 7) they would let me do Sun-Sun. My week 8 is busy but it's not crazy busy and I don't think they'd give me too much trouble. But even if we can't get the weekend there are STILL some parades two weeks before Mardi Gras week. There are parades starting even before Christmas - the entire Carnival season has parades, the just get bigger and more frequent the closer to Mardi Gras day you get. So my family can still experience some Carnival fun no matter what week we bring them so long as it's some time in Carnival :D

2018 Parade Schedule: http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/schedule.html

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand the way NOLA event weeks work.That's WHY we own a week 8 at Avenue Plaza. We like Mardi Gras week but think the week before Mardi Gras week is more tame and better suited for family-friendly stuff, but still with plenty of festivities. Week 8 with a Friday checkin includes "Family Gras" (free Carnival themed event with music etc). So we figured we can do Fri-Fri when we want the family experience and Sun-Sun if we want the weekend before Mardi Gras for renting out our week etc.

In 2018 we're using our regular event week. I am not planning to add week 7 or switch to week 7. But in 2019 that week overlaps with Presidents Day, which means taking the kiddo out of school is easier since he'd only miss 3 or 4 days of school rather than a whole week. And it might be easier for my other family to travel during that week. So that's when I'm thinking about maybe doing two week 7s instead of our usual event week 8.

I am guessing that if I traded my event week for week 7 (which I know may not technically be week 7 every year, just using that title for the week for simplification, what we're both talking about is the week before event week 8 or two weeks before Mardi Gras week, but in 2019 it IS actually week 7) they would let me do Sun-Sun. My week 8 is busy but it's not crazy busy and I don't think they'd give me too much trouble. But even if we can't get the weekend there are STILL some parades two weeks before Mardi Gras week. There are parades starting even before Christmas - the entire Carnival season has parades, the just get bigger and more frequent the closer to Mardi Gras day you get. So my family can still experience some Carnival fun no matter what week we bring them so long as it's some time in Carnival :D

2018 Parade Schedule: http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/schedule.html

You can use any week to reserve the week before the week before Mardi Gras. They all float. Or you can use your right to use week

But I don’t think they will let you do a Sunday to Sunday to overlap into the week before Mardi Gras I agree it wouldn’t be a problem. I just don’t think they will let it happen

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Ron I understood you the first time.

To be clear, I'm considering trading my week AND doing a right to use week. This could give me two units during the same week. Ideally week 7 sun-sun but perhaps another option. This way we could all go at once at a very reasonable price, the MF for two units. Otherwise I'd have to rent an additional unit for family to join us and that would likely cost twice as much.

Last edited:

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
So are all weeks except event weeks the same maintenance fees for like room types (1-bed, studio)?