• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

We want out of our contract, HELP

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I feel your pain. We bought a timeshare many years ago that we regretted instantly. With three children under 5, we thought it would be nice to have a 3 bedroom unit in the mountains. We could not afford it, and we tried to rescind with a phone call to the sales' department, but we couldn't rescind because the resort told us there were no rescind laws (and there was no such thing as the internet back then).

We paid it off with a second mortgage on our house because the interest was high, and we used what we bought.

People will buy or lease a new car every three or four years and think nothing of it. The wasted money on constant car payments is a budgeted item. I never understood that mentality We keep cars at least 12 years. My current car is 14 years old, and I still love that car. It's a Toyota Avalon with 150K miles. My point is this: if you re-arrange your budget a bit, perhaps the payment is not going to be all that bad.

How much money are we talking here? If you are under $30K, and you can get a loan with a lower interest rate for a longer term, perhaps that is better than having your credit take a huge hit.

They did ask what your income level was, didn't they? That is usually a condition of going on the timeshare presentation.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I definitely agree about lowering the interest rate and avoiding timeshare company scams. However, I was listening to Hugh Hewitt's Program today (conservative talk radio host) and he mentioned a company called Lonestar Transfer. The company provides timeshare transfers and mortgage cancellations and has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. It would be worth looking into; not only for you, but for Tuggers to check it out and comment. Go to lonestartransfer.com and let me know what you think.

The company pays Hewitt to mention them. Hewitt's personal endorsement was bought.

Silverdollar

TUG Member
Reaction score
The company pays Hewitt to mention them. Hewitt's personal endorsement was bought.
Maybe so, but the A+ rating with BBB and their inclusion on Angie's list was not. I am not endorsing the company. I just thought they would be worth looking into since they had these credentials.

Jon Rowlison

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard - Las Vegas
I know this thread is 6+ months old, but I wanted to see if anyone had ever gotten anywhere with that Lonestar Transfer company mentioned? I know the conventional wisdom about the "Viking Ship" but they've been around for a while. If one is willing to pay up front is it actually a real service or is it ONLY a scam?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
...allow the deed to go into foreclosure. Do not pay anything else on the contract or the fees. Write a letter to Wyndham Financial Services (who presumably owns your loan) telling them that you cannot and will not pay the loan back, that you plan to allow it to go into foreclosure, and that you don't care what that will do to your credit. You can offer in that letter the option to deed it back in lieu of foreclosure, but I suspect they won't bite.

As a first step this option makes the most sense to me. If they say "tough luck" and will not work with you, then consider other alternatives.

George

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I know this thread is 6+ months old, but I wanted to see if anyone had ever gotten anywhere with that Lonestar Transfer company mentioned? I know the conventional wisdom about the "Viking Ship" but they've been around for a while. If one is willing to pay up front is it actually a real service or is it ONLY a scam?

My first step would be to look at the resale companies listings on eBay. There are usually phone numbers in their listings so call and ask them how it works.

The most important thing to know is if you bought developer you are going to have to pay off anything you still owe in full to be able to transfer the deed or contract to someone else. Depending on what you own you will never see more than maybe a fifth at the very best of what you paid and may have to pay the closing costs and transfer fees out of what you do get. NO ONE pays developer prices for resale so why would anyone in their right mind go for a deal like that if they still owed money? Better to walk away and take the hit on your credit, it will come off in a few years.

If you bought resale or have owned developer for years and are just looking to move on then one of those resale companies on eBay may be able to help you.

One sure way to determine if it is a scam is to look at the listings for sale on their website. If the prices are in the thousands of dollars that is all you need to know to run and run fast. Having a website is often just a front. I wouldn't trust any resale or transfer company that doesn't list on eBay for the going prices and where you can see their sales history and rating too because they aren't actually making any real attempts to sell but are just looking for more gullible suckers to give them money.