• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know/understand how the deductible works when the resort gets hit by two named storms? Is the deductible for the first one only? Do you think any of the damage was officially accessed between the storms so they could say "No this isn't covered under the first storm deductible"?

I too would like to commend the forethought of the VGV BOD to plan for the deductible. :cheer:
It's the same insurer and the same repairs. If the fix is the same claim and the read here is the 5% Co insurance not so much a deductible but this will be handled as a single claim, not two separate claims.

If the claims had been two months apart and repairs fully made from first claim then it would be a different story.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Same here. I sure wish SB does have the same fund. But it will certainly not be big enough to cover the damage because damage is more extensive and SB has had a short time to build the reserve, if there is any. Just my $0.02.

When was or will be your first use year? Mine is 2018. I may get a SA for damage that happened before my first use year...:doh:

My first use year is 2020. I have EOY but couldn’t swing travelling in 2018 as I’m already planned out. So if there is a SA, I will be paying for an assessment on a week I have yet to use.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
When was or will be your first use year? Mine is 2018. I may get a SA for damage that happened before my first use year...:doh:

That's horrible!! :(

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good question. I don't think there would be grounds for denying coverage under the first storm deductible, though, because based on the extensive photo/video documentation of the damage done by Irma, to the extent Maria did any additional damage (with a far less severe blow to the island) it was largely or exclusively possible because of the damage already done by Irma. Typically these policies include language that when a covered event occurs, it is the policyholder's responsibility to ensure that reasonable efforts are made to secure the property to prevent further damage. Then, secondary damage that occurs as a result of the covered event would still be covered. IANAL

"reasonable"

These were BANG-BANG events. It will be interesting to see whether insurance tries to exploit such language.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
That's horrible!! :(

You are right. Here’s hoping that there is no SA! Unfortunately I picked it up long before any possible Cat-5 hurricane could come through so obviously the timing was beyond my control. I have a Plat+ week so I had to grab it.

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same here. I sure wish SB does have the same fund. But it will certainly not be big enough to cover the damage because damage is more extensive and SB has had a short time to build the reserve, if there is any. Just my $0.02.

Surely there are some legal ramifications to that. Warranty of habitable on transfer and who pays to make it habitable.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Last night (9pm PST), I used the SO from our WSJ-VGV 2018 weeks (June) to reserve 17 nites next June at WPORV in a 1Bd at the 8-month opening.

While we are paying a somewhat high cost for these nites, but at least the travel costs will be less as we live in SF Bay Area. I feel bad for those living on East Coast or South like majority of WSJ Owners.

We choose Kauai over Maui because we are going to Maui for 3 weeks in Sept.

38 nites in HI in 2018 - woohoo!

We usually go to WPORV in Sept - be interesting to see north Kauai in June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Surely there are some legal ramifications to that. Warranty of habitable on transfer and who pays to make it habitable.
Hopefully. It is tricky because the paper work was filed in early 2017. However, my first use year is 2018...:ponder:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from SB?

ELGEE TRAVELS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John Bay Vista
Has anyone asked what the deal is for the star points?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hello, I just phoned them. The Star points deal is as follows:
You can buy one of three SPG star points options. You can only buy one option. Offer good to BUY the points by December 31, 2017.
--50,000 SPG Star Points = $825.00
--90,000 SPG Star Points = $1,485.00
--110,000 SPG Star Points = $1,815.00

This equates to 1.6 cents per SPG Star Point. Far less than any of SPG's regular offers of around 2.6 - 3.5 cents per point.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Has anyone heard from SB?

I have not heard any correspondence from SB, only the general resort updates that went out and that we have discussed here. I wonder how and where we can contact them?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
You can buy one of three SPG star points options. You can only buy one option. Offer good to BUY the points by December 31, 2017.

This equates to 1.6 cents per SPG Star Point. Far less than any of SPG's regular offers of around 2.6 - 3.5 cents per point.

1.65c per SP. That is pretty good.
This within the range of cent/SP from the non-scientific VSE consensus poll of the value of a SP.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...illing-to-pay-for-starpoints-cents-sp.248944/

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)

Wow thay is actually a great deal. Better than the SP purchase certificates included with developer purchases.

I may actually purchase a package at this rate.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV

Thanx for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow thay is actually a great deal. Better than the SP purchase certificates included with developer purchases.

I may actually purchase a package at this rate.

You are going to want to use it ASAP and buy with a plan with the pending merger of SPG into Marriott Rewards. I’d hate to buy Starpoints at a nice discount only to see that discount go away in the merger. We don’t know the loyalty program merger details yet, but they did announce they look to combine in 2018.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5

You say you can only buy one option. What if you have more than one interval affected by the cancelation? My Fall 2017 CV snd February VGV 2018 were canceled .

And can I convert these to Marriott Reward Points ?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
You are going to want to use it ASAP and buy with a plan with the pending merger of SPG into Marriott Rewards. I’d hate to buy Starpoints at a nice discount only to see that discount go away in the merger. We don’t know the loyalty program merger details yet, but they did announce they look to combine in 2018.

Good advice! As it is I have a few hundred thousand SP in the bank. Maybe time to start planning some 2019 vacations.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
You say you can only buy one option. What if you have more than one interval affected by the cancelation? My Fall 2017 CV snd February VGV 2018 were canceled .

And can I convert these to Marriott Reward Points ?

I just asked - only one purchase allowed.

I may buy a package as I gave up my AMEX SPG for a CSR VISA, and only have a few SPs. Used remaining for NYC (6 nites at Le Parker Meridian) and AA flights (1st class). Not sure how they can collapse the 3:1 MAR/SPG ratio without pissing off 1000s of customers. But, always good not to hold on to.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just asked - only one purchase allowed.

I may buy a package as I gave up my AMEX SPG for a CSR VISA, and only have a few SPs. Used remaining for NYC (6 nites at Le Parker Meridian) and AA flights (1st class). Not sure how they can collapse the 3:1 MAR/SPG ratio without pissing off 1000s of customers. But, always good not to hold on to.
It's not how they collapse the 3:1 but how the redeem prices will go up when the align SPG redemption to MAR redemption.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Points are of no value until you use them. You must use them to realize the discount. With SO MANY hotel and airline and other travel currency frequent devaluations, it’s generally a bad idea to horde points. Case and point: look at the redemption requirements today on AA and Delta and even Hilton. Heck I don’t think Delta posts a redemption chart anymore. They keep wanting to move the goalposts.

Begin with the end in mind. You should always have a plan going in to use or accrue points with an intended usage. Otherwise you get stuck when a devaluation occurs. SPG -> Marriott no different. Don’t buy the points just to hold onto a nice large block!!

Let’s get back to talking about St John!!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It's not how they collapse the 3:1 but how the redeem prices will go up when the align SPG redemption to MAR redemption.

I understand- but same effect - potential to devalue SPs by needing more to stay for hotel nite - this is likely true for both SP and MP devaluation (this goes on), and not just SPs

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
This is only offered to WSJ Owners and therefore WSJ related. Many WSJ Owners do not know the nuances of SP usage and value. I know a few that only own WSJ and know little about VSE, VSN or SPG.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
For a limited time convert Starpoints and earn up to 30% more AAdvantage miles.

Just saw this promo on Facebook

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score

90,000 SPG = 270,000 Marriott Rewards Points = 7 nights Cat 1 - 5 hotel and 132,000 United Miles (or 120,000 SW, AA, etc) by transferring to Marriott and then selecting Marriott Travel Package (flights and nights).

Status
Not open for further replies.