• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Helping mother in law sell 4 Marriott timeshares. Help needed

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
This unfortunate family is in a miserable situation. I don't think for a minute Marriott financial is going to get all warm and fuzzy and forgive a loan. The destination club product is definitely underwater in a big way with interest charges accumulating. I can not hazard a guess on what is owed. I can guess on the maintenance fees coming due soon and the amount payable is probably five figures.
Cutting your losses is never easy. Gold season Marriott weeks are a dime a dozen to buy and will not yield much if anything.
All alternatives are dismal. I would try to get out asap even if I had to pay fees.

A reverse timeshare salesman. Sell the doom and gloom, offering only one way out of it!

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of opinions that have been expressed and I still like the option that I presented.

Ditch the Bronze week somehow.
Exchange the other 3 weeks every year. Those should generate around 9925 DC Points each year, assuming they're all 2BR. Your Maintenance fees for the 3 weeks will total about $4200-$4400 a year. If you rent out your DC points for $0.56 a piece, you should bring in $5558. This leaves you an excess of $1158 - $1358 after you've paid you're maintenance fees.

With the Trust Points, if Marriott is willing to take back the points and cancel the loan, that would be your best option. They'll lose any down payment they paid toward the loan, typically 10%-15% of total price but you can consider it a cost of doing business. My guess is that they owe somewhere from $32k-$35k on the points. They likely paid a down payment of $4k-$6k to get in the program.

I wish you and your family the best as you navigate through this.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of opinions that have been expressed and I still like the option that I presented.

Exchange the other 3 weeks every year. Those should generate around 9925 DC Points each year, assuming they're all 2BR. Your Maintenance fees for the 3 weeks will total about $4200-$4400 a year. If you rent out your DC points for $0.56 a piece, you should bring in $5558. This leaves you an excess of $1158 - $1358 after you've paid you're maintenance fees.

With the Trust Points, if Marriott is willing to take back the points and cancel the loan, that would be your best option. They'll lose any down payment they paid toward the loan, typically 10%-15% of total price but you can consider it a cost of doing business. My guess is that they owe somewhere from $32k-$35k on the points. They likely paid a down payment of $4k-$6k to get in the program.

But how much is the mortgage payment?

elleny76

Reaction score

Just curious ..Is there any company renting Marriott's points for owners? I know I do this with my Disney points but someone else do it for me. If they have to do it in their own its a lot of work to deal with renters. How about if the weeks are not rented? they still need to pay for those MF.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

Will mvc even take back points in lieu of loan knowing that the account has deeded weeks with no loans on them?

If you declare bankruptcy wont mvc lock the account for the deeded weeks also?

I am just doing a what if, not saying op is in default.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Steven, while doing as you suggest and renting out their points might be an ideal solution for some of the more involved TUG members - who tend to be more actively engaged in their timeshare ownership than the average owner - for someone who wasn't really all that into the timeshare game, dealing with the need to field rental inquires and do the transactions needed to rent out the points might be more than they want to take on. It might be seen as more of just a hassle and finding a way to sell the ownership and have one less thing to worry about might be a more realistic scenario for the average owner who doesn't want/need their ownership any more. The OP will have to decide how much work they want to put into this over the long haul.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is that the in-laws bought the 3500 points to bring them up to Chairman's Club. The question is whether OP understands timeshare, and in particular Marriott's program and can use all the points associated with this bundle. It is certainly a somewhat inexpensive way to get to Chairman's Club if OP can assume the loan and transfer the entire package out to OP and spouse and retain its status as it is an immediate family transfer. Thereafter my suggestion would be to get rid of the bronze week and drop to Presidential status as the MF per point is high on the bronze week. Just another option on the table.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Whatever route you chose you may want to plan now for 2018 usage - if resale or week rental, consider booking the most in-demand week available as it could make the resale or rental easier, if point rental look at what are the deadlines to convert your weeks to points. The deadline is October 31 if they are at the "Presidential" level or better (10,000 points or more).
Just wanted to re-highlight this piece of advice...which is excellent and time sensitive. Doing so may help to mitigate 2018 expenses should it take a while to decide a direction, and execute the plan. Shoring up this part of the situation could at least allow the family to have options which will prevent them from being cash flow negative for 2018 (exclusive of the loan payments on the points purchase of course).

Last edited:

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
But how much is the mortgage payment?

the way it was wordeded, I was under the assumption that the deeded weeks were paid for and the only loan was on the trust points. If they have a loan on everything, that changes the scenario.

Steven, while doing as you suggest and renting out their points might be an ideal solution for some of the more involved TUG members - who tend to be more actively engaged in their timeshare ownership than the average owner - for someone who wasn't really all that into the timeshare game, dealing with the need to field rental inquires and do the transactions needed to rent out the points might be more than they want to take on. It might be seen as more of just a hassle and finding a way to sell the ownership and have one less thing to worry about might be a more realistic scenario for the average owner who doesn't want/need their ownership any more. The OP will have to decide how much work they want to put into this over the long haul.

I see where you're coming from and agree. However, if push comes to shove, I'm pretty sure the OP will be asking a lot more questions and will get up to speed quickly. If it's only the MF's they're worried about, I'm sure they'll working something out.

Will mvc even take back points in lieu of loan knowing that the account has deeded weeks with no loans on them?

This is an interesting question. Theoretically, I would think the couldn't lock out the other weeks as they are owned and there is no default on them. That shouldn't prevent them from using the weeks, only the points. I hope to never be in that situation but this would have to go to a couple of legal minds to work out.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
the way it was wordeded, I was under the assumption that the deeded weeks were paid for and the only loan was on the trust points. If they have a loan on everything, that changes the scenario.

I see where you're coming from and agree. However, if push comes to shove, I'm pretty sure the OP will be asking a lot more questions and will get up to speed quickly. If it's only the MF's they're worried about, I'm sure they'll working something out.

This is an interesting question. Theoretically, I would think the couldn't lock out the other weeks as they are owned and there is no default on them. That shouldn't prevent them from using the weeks, only the points. I hope to never be in that situation but this would have to go to a couple of legal minds to work out.
It is interesting for me also as I hope not to be in that scenario. Though inquiring minds want to know.

My take as an owner with deeded weeks not enrolled is they can only restrict use of weeks that are not in default.

As mvc dc point member, i can see them saying this. Since your weeks are enrolled in their destinations program, a default on any one of the weeks is a default in the program. Don't know how that would work legally as i am not a lawyer nor attempt to play one.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

They only have a mortgage on the DC points. But if Marriott doesn't simply gift them out of the mortgage by allowing them a late rescission, wouldn't bankruptcy or delinquency on one contract cause restriction of use of all of them?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I know many get anxiety over renting points or weeks but with Marriott it really is so easy because the demand is so high. Also from the owner's perspective there really isn't much financial risk as that is on the buyer. Rather than rent the points at .55 or what ever my recommendation is to convert the points to high demand weeks like a 2bdrm Maui OF and I'm sure you'll get much more than .55 per point. You do have to have an understanding of what weeks to secure and when but it really is easy. I'd be happy to give the OP a lesson as I'm sure a number of other TUGGERS could as well.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know many get anxiety over renting points or weeks but with Marriott it really is so easy because the demand is so high. Also from the owner's perspective there really isn't much financial risk as that is on the buyer. Rather than rent the points at .55 or what ever my recommendation is to convert the points to high demand weeks like a 2bdrm Maui OF and I'm sure you'll get much more than .55 per point. You do have to have an understanding of what weeks to secure and when but it really is easy. I'd be happy to give the OP a lesson as I'm sure a number of other TUGGERS could as well.
Renting is not for everyone. I don't rent as the exercise is more stressful than I want to undertake. If someone wants to rent on my behalf, then I am open to it. We have neither rented out nor rent from someone else.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

As a seller, it's not anxiety so much, but does someone want to deal with it and learning how to do it if they don't have to? For folks who are actively engaged in thinking about and managing their timeshares as many TUGgers are, it's probably a piece of cake. (Especially for someone like you who does it all the time.) I don't think most timeshare owners spend that much time thinking about their ownership, so for the average owner, fielding calls/emails, and doing the things it would take to rent out a Presidential or Chairman level amount of points might be more work than they want to undertake.

Like everything in life, comfort level rises with familiarity. I'm not that comfortable with P2P rental transactions, probably mainly because I've never done them, so the risks and the hassles are what I see first. You do them all the time, so you have a lot more experience and a much higher comfort level. People tend to be comfortable with what they know and uncomfortable with what they don't know. For example, I've been flying around in small single engine airplanes since I was 15 years old, and in recent years that's expanded to include vintage planes and numerous flights with folks who fly aerobatics at airshows. Many people would not be comfortable with the kind of flying I've done because they don't have the exposure and comfort level with it that I have. But I love it and do it whenever I can. So a lot of it is what any given person is familiar with.

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally I do not see a difference. You are giving free advertising to these for profit brokers but not other time share sales businesses.

I know in the past when I’d name specific MVCI sales people in A post (whether positive or negative), it was frowned upon.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally I do not see a difference. You are giving free advertising to these for profit brokers.

I know in the past when I’d name MVCI sales people in. A post (whether positive or negative), it was frowned upon.
But when someone needs help to sell their timeshare, having the names of reputable brokers is helpful.

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who determines whether somebody is reputable? I know a number of people who have used timeshareexit team yet companies like that are frowned upon.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

They likely will lock the account completely if the owner is not in good standing, this is why I suggested keeping the loan payments up at least until one had a handle on this and a plan and depending on the choice made, until the other weeks were taken care of because Marriott likely won't transfer them if any are behind.

They only have a mortgage on the DC points. But if Marriott doesn't simply gift them out of the mortgage by allowing them a late rescission, wouldn't bankruptcy or delinquency on one contract cause restriction of use of all of them?
Marriott is not going to volunteer to do this out of the goodness or their heart nor should they. The way to get them to take it back are to talk them into it in a situation where they know they're not getting anything out of it anyway or to declare bankruptcy though that's almost certainly NOT the best approach at this time. They'd likely take the entire package but if the other weeks are disposed of first, they won't have as much leverage. The rest depends on what they can get from them if they pursue it. For someone with assets like a house or savings, they almost certainly won't agree unless forced and they may sue. For someone who doesn't have assets, it may be fairly easy to convince them they won't get anything anyway so they may as well take it back. A way to force their hand is to simply stop paying on the points but I wouldn't do that until an overall plan is decided upon assuming there is enough cash to do so. Depending on the loan payments, it may be that just stopping paying now and cutting the entire package lose is a good option. I'd never suggest going this route, or bankruptcy, as simply a financial move but if they can't pay it they can't pay it and that's why those laws are there.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Personally I do not see a difference. You are giving free advertising to these for profit brokers but not other time share sales businesses.

I know in the past when I’d name specific MVCI sales people in A post (whether positive or negative), it was frowned upon.

I tried to explain the nuances in the post that was edited. The TUG Rules specifically disallow any posts for which the poster stands to gain something of value, but posts by one person naming another person/a reputable company are allowed.

Naming MVCI salespeople is discouraged because 1) TUGgers do not on the whole support direct purchases from timeshare developers so those posts usually result in heated discussion and/or reporting, and 2) MVW does not allow its salespeople, or any employees other than those they've specifically designated, to post to any social media sites. But if questions are asked about a specific situation and a TUGger can recommend the name and give the contact information for an MVW employee who may be able to help, we allow those posts to stand (although, if MVW asks us to edit/delete posts that contain quoted material which was not intended to be public, we'll do that.)

Nobody supports allowing the names and contact information for any we'll-get-you-out-of-your-timeshare-if-you-pay-us-an-upfront-fee company because frankly, too many of those companies are scams and there's not enough time in the day for a moderator/administrator to research every such name posted in order to vouch for the company's validity. If people asking how to get out of timeshare ownership are unsatisfied with the advice given by TUGgers who are familiar with the legitimate ways it can - and does - happen, they'll have to take responsibility away from TUG for finding and dealing with any of those companies.

Last edited:

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
While my opinion may not mean much -and please note it’s not my intention to turn this into a debate or derail the original post about extricating oneself from a situation due to a hardship— respectfully I do not agree with the above generalizations, particularly the statement about buying directly from the developer - I, for one, got a great deal on a “hybrid”package buying directly from MVCI (and from a straightforward MVCI sales person at that) and I also respectfully disagree with the general assertion that any company which may charge a fee for their service upfront is a scam (I know a number of people who have used such firms with success).

It’s one thing to make statements about specific experiences and back it up, but to generalize, whether about developer purchases or firms who try to get people out of a timeshare, is not necessarily fair.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
While my opinion may not mean much -and please note it’s not my intention to turn this into a debate or derail the original post about extricating oneself from a situation due to a hardship— respectfully I do not agree with the above generalizations, particularly the statement about buying directly from the developer - I, for one, got a great deal on a “hybrid”package buying directly from MVCI (and from a straightforward MVCI sales person at that) and I also respectfully disagree with the general assertion that any company which may charge a fee for their service upfront is a scam (I know a number of people who have used such firms with success).

It’s one thing to make statements about specific experiences and back it up, but to generalize, whether about developer purchases or firms who try to get people out of a timeshare, is not necessarily fair.

You're not alone when it comes to positive experiences with direct purchases from Marriott - I and many others routinely answer questions about developer-direct ownership by explaining our personal positive experiences. IME it's very easy to do that without naming salespeople, which is the only limitation that TUG moderators impose on such posts. Regardless, debating whether Marriott salespeople should be named in TUG posts has nothing to do with this OP's specific question.

As for upfront fee companies, respectfully, I didn't generalize by saying that any company which charges an upfront fee is a scam. I said many of them are, that any of them could be, and that TUG moderators/administrators don't want the job of validating which ones are and which ones aren't. If you want to recommend that someone should look into using an upfront fee company you are free to do that, as long as you don't name the company in a post. As you are seeing here any such posts are going to invite criticisms from other TUGgers which they are free to post as well, as long as they criticize the suggestion and not you personally.

And now this is the end of the discussion related to how posts about upfront fee companies are moderated.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
@NYFLTRAVELER

You're not alone when it comes to positive experiences with direct purchases from Marriott - I and many others routinely answer questions about developer-direct ownership by explaining our personal positive experiences. IME it's very easy to do that without naming salespeople, which is the only limitation that TUG moderators impose on such posts. Regardless, debating whether Marriott salespeople should be named in TUG posts has nothing to do with this OP's specific question.

Because this thread is intended to assist the OP in finding a solution to the predicaments they face, I'd like to address two points raised by the quoted posters (no discussion of moderation is implied or expected):

@NYFLTRAVELER : Your opinions are welcomed and considered. If you've had personal experience with the process and wish to divulge the gritty details (names/companies omitted) then perhaps your experiences could benefit the OP. BUT.....

I personally would never recommend an upfront payment company of any kind (legal, sales, exchange, rental etc...) for the following reasons:
  • Throwing good money after bad with no enforceable guarantee of success is never a good idea IMHO. Basically, it's gambling and gambling when you have no money is foolish. Please do not invoke the words "what have you got to loose?" when dealing these discussions.
  • I would never recommend that people intentionally engage in frivolous/threatening legal activity to counter their poor decisions. This is tantamount to telling someone that doesn't-like/can't-afford their payments to hire "a special friend I know" to burn the house down or steal the car to get out of the payments. I will not recommend such a course of action, no matter how predatory and (legally) deceitful the salesperson's tactics are perceived to be....
  • IF a party has a real, genuine, documentable bona fide complaint with the purchase, sale, maintenance or use of a timeshare--as many have had--then it's entirely possible that a real and genuine case can be made for some type of legal negotiation, arbitration or personal/class action suit. If this is the case, then a simple consultation with a lawyer could shed light on the next course of action. Yes, customary legal fees would apply unless income qualified for assistance. Again, I would not advise anyone to seek-out a "CANCEL YOUR TIMESHARE NOW!" company as a first course of action for such discussions, In fact, barring positive testimony from those with genuine legal grievances, versus disgruntled owners without legal grounds, I would always avoid up-front fee companies and 'cancel your timeshare now' types of businesses. Genuine legal claims would be better served by a reputable firm with a clear case history, local representation and real-estate related experience. Again, IMHO.
  • Companies that promise something that is 'too good to be true' usually are....TGTBT. This applies to a lot of companies, but is especially true (based on many posts here and elsewhere) when it comes to timeshare sales (SMTN) and scores of 'Viking ship' companies...soon to be extinct I hope. Sadly, they promise these things to get you to open your purse strings and hand them some cash before proof of performance.
I have had very positive experiences with HGVC, Worldmark and Marriott VC during presentations, sales, contracts, rescission, ownership and with customer service. I have a favorable opinion of nearly all of the persons I've had contact with. I too have negotiated a hybrid deal and almost wish I had purchased it. It came down to finances. A few of the sales staff in some locations/contacts have been utter morons, but I don't blame the company for that....there are morons everywhere. Here's your sign.

If bankruptcy is imminent (not necessarily addressing the OP here...) then get an attorney and move forward---Period. Otherwise, I would definitely recommend approaching Marriott if it becomes blatantly obvious that a loan will be in default. Expect Marriott to attempt to hinder your sale/use of any other ownership (???). I would fully expect Marriott to act in the interests of the owners, shareholders and avoid setting poor precedent in such matters. This doesn't mean an amicable decision couldn't be reached, but I would expect both parties to be unhappy in the end. Keeping the loan out of default will be your best course of action. My Lawyer's specific words before the judge's ruling: the judge's job is to ensure the laws are upheld and both parties leave the courtroom unhappy.... I believe him now.

I have had personal experience with (big$$) up-front fee sales companies. My experience with them reveals that they have little interest in quick sales, true market value or speed/costs of transaction fees with the sale. I would avoid such companies at all cost.

Addressing my recommendation to call one of several resale companies:
I recommended three brokers/TUG members who are frequently discussed here on TUG. I have personally talked to, discussed with (on TUG) and purchased (2x) from the brokers listed (2 purchases, 1 broker, negotiated with others etc...). I can relate that all three have an excellent business manner, have shown themselves--both publically and privately--to be of good character and easy to work with. I won't go into detail, but all three post on this forum and have many fans who will attest to their quality.

I posted these three brokers because they frequently deal with Marriott and are larger/recognized brokers. I posted three names to avoid soliciting sales for a single company and because 3 opinions are better than one. Keep in mind, I recommended calling them to get an objective estimate on value, timing and course of action. I did not recommend immediately using their paid services or signing a contract or giving them $$$$ upfront for promises. The OP's course of (ultimate) action would be dictated by the information they discover, the true balance sheet for the in-laws finances (which should not be openly discussed here in specific terms) and the actual wishes and desires of the legal owners of the property in question.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

The kind DIL (OP) is attempting to research possible courses of action, true values of the owned properties and come up with some solutions to present to the in-laws and assist them with getting their lives and affairs in order in light of recent changes in health/travel/finances. The secondary solutions being offered--adopt one of the enrolled timeshares, rent the points, book/rent the units etc...--are all great ideas, but they surely depend on the willingness of the in-laws to proceed, the willingness of the DIL to become a de-facto landlord and vacation rental specialist or assume the maintenance fee debts or contact Marriott as an intermediary...ad nauseum Whew It's wearing me out just thinking about it.

OP: you've got some great suggestions and ideas. Perhaps it's time to research, discuss with in-laws and/or attorney and report back for further help with plans. TUG is a great place, and no matter what course you (all) decide to take, you can get the best advice here on how to enact your plan. God bless you for helping them!

My opinion of course. Free and worth what you pay for it. Nada.