• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

OMG Where to begin...need advice

Rugzyschick

Reaction score
My lord there is a lot of info on this site, I don't even know where to start. We want to buy a timeshare in Myrtle Beach, flex point system. We are planning our next vacation there and planning on staying in a friends RCI exchange timeshare for the condo we are planning on purchasing. Right now I am really leaning towards Wyndham Seawinds. Basically we would be staying in a 2BR but we want to purchase "more than likely" a 3 BR. We (my husband, me, and our 11yr old daughter) do family vacations every year with my parents. We are planning on co-owning the timeshare between my parents and us and deeding it to our daughter. We are splitting the cost and maintenance fees in 1/2 between us. We plan on taking a yearly week long vacation every year (mostly beaches around the world) and then probably every other year do 1 week at our home condo and one week somewhere else (so one year somewhere else, following year a week at home condo and week somewhere else, rinse and repeat). What amount of points per year should we probably need? Or would bi-annual points work? Planning on paying the exchange fees Out of pocket and just tally points to pay towards airfare, etc. Oh back to Myrtle, any other suggestions on places to stay (looking for August vacation but prefer to be out of the "party scene" and more "quieter" area...beachfront. Thought about Jade Tree Cove too...wondering if maybe they would be a bit cheaper on purchasing through, as they are not Wyndham. What on average does a Wyndham timeshare on a 3BR run and what are their yearly maintenance fees? What about Jade Tree? Any suggestions? It does not have to be a 5 star resort....just quiet (not obnoxiously crowded on the beach), roomy, clean, full kitchen, preferably with washer/dryer in unit with affiliation to at least RCI (II would be an added plus) and it would be nice if they had a few other co-owned establishments around the touristry areas.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Using points to pay toward airfare is wasteful. You're better off having the points you need for accommodations and using cash for airfare. And at least with Wyndham, you can't use points toward airfare unless you've paid a ridiculous sum to the developer for your contract.

Wyndham can be quite inexpensive on the resale market. Whatever system you decide on, I would recommend you spend an extensive amount of time learning that system and how owning at different home resorts will result in different upfront costs on the resale market and maintenance fees. Once you have a timeshare in your name, undoing a mistake is very difficult.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Take a look at Hilton Grand Vacations, they currently have 2 locations in Myrtle Beach and are adding a third. They are located on the north end, quieter and less rowdy than the boardwalk area (26th, 22nd, and building at 16th). The three bedroom units are all oceanfront, we stayed in one at Ocean 22 in May, very nice unit.

You will need 9600 points to stay in a 3br during summer months. You could get a 4800 point 1br at a cheap location like Vegas and combine points to vacation every other year. 4800 points in Vegas would run about $1000 a year fees, so your week in the 3br would be $2000. Buy in cost should be $4000-$6000.

HGV has locations in Myrtle, Hilton Head, Orlando, Miami, Vegas, California, and Hawaii. You can also use HGV points in RCI, 4800 would get a 2br unit, 3400 a 1br, 2400 a studio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
There is a very big difference between Wyndham and Jade Tree Cove. I own at Jade tree and love it there.

Jade is a very small timeshare, clean, well maintained, all rooms face beachfront, few steps to the beach.

There are no 3 bedrooms, 2 bedrooms are the largest, sleeps 6, that have queen-sized beds in each bedroom and a queen-sized sleeper sofa in the living room, no washer dryer in the room, but available on the property to use.

Right now it trades in RCI, the board will decide in a few weeks in joining II. Maintenance fees are low. I do not know the two bedroom maintenance but my studios and one bedroom are in the 460-490 range.

Buying in will be less expensive then Wyndham. Being it is a smaller timeshare there are very few 2 bedrooms, it might be hard to find a prime week. You would be buying a fixed weeks which in RCI you can convert to TPU points and trade elsewhere.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I would also add that, though I am not a Wyndham owner, you should spend a good deal of time reading the Wyndham BBS--with particular focus on the myriad problems owners have been having for months using the new Wyndham website. It has created more than a little heartburn for WYN owners, and the phone lines to WYN customer service have been jammed as a result.

It seems things have improved a little from where they were a couple of months ago, but it's still a fiasco, and certainly could affect your enjoyment of a new timeshare ownership.

One other piece of advice: I would discourage you from placing the names of both yourselves and your parents on the deed. If and when you decide to sell the property, it will be much simpler to have a deed drawn up with only one name or couple's name on the document. Also, be aware that most children who "inherit" a timeshare refuse to take it, since it basically amounts to an ongoing annual expense obligation in the form of maintenance fees and membership fees that a lot of millenials simply are not interested in.

Rugzyschick

Reaction score
There is a very big difference between Wyndham and Jade Tree Cove. I own at Jade tree and love it there.

Jade is a very small timeshare, clean, well maintained, all rooms face beachfront, few steps to the beach.

There are no 3 bedrooms, 2 bedrooms are the largest, sleeps 6, that have queen-sized beds in each bedroom and a queen-sized sleeper sofa in the living room, no washer dryer in the room, but available on the property to use.

Right now it trades in RCI, the board will decide in a few weeks in joining II. Maintenance fees are low. I do not know the two bedroom maintenance but my studios and one bedroom are in the 460-490 range.

Buying in will be less expensive then Wyndham. Being it is a smaller timeshare there are very few 2 bedrooms, it might be hard to find a prime week. You would be buying a fixed weeks which in RCI you can convert to TPU points and trade elsewhere.

Thank you. Very helpful. I was leaning towards a smaller, older condo simply because on vacation how much time do you really spend in your room? AND I realize that the smaller condos would be a lesser buy in and lesser maintenance fees...I did read alot of great reviews about Jade Tree which is what initially drew me into that one. Was simply looking at Wyndham as well, because they are everywhere "beachy" and are quite nice, but I have a feeling they are gonna want an arm and a leg to buy in directly. The only reason I was leary about Jade Tree was because of only having 2BRs and soon my daughter will be to an age where we start taking one of her friends on vacay with us, so 3BR would probably be the best bet. But with all the research I have done so far, Jade Tree was hitting exactly all the right marks besides the 3BR option and in room laundry. I especially liked how many reviewers had stated that its location isn't in the overly crowded part of myrtle where all the condos are ontop of each other. Plus we wanted to be beachfront. Researching is so time consuming and exhausting...looking into all the different places, reviews, and then checking out their affiliated resorts for more future options of traveling ideas...

Rugzyschick

Reaction score
Take a look at Hilton Grand Vacations, they currently have 2 locations in Myrtle Beach and are adding a third. They are located on the north end, quieter and less rowdy than the boardwalk area (26th, 22nd, and building at 16th). The three bedroom units are all oceanfront, we stayed in one at Ocean 22 in May, very nice unit.

You will need 9600 points to stay in a 3br during summer months. You could get a 4800 point 1br at a cheap location like Vegas and combine points to vacation every other year. 4800 points in Vegas would run about $1000 a year fees, so your week in the 3br would be $2000. Buy in cost should be $4000-$6000.

HGV has locations in Myrtle, Hilton Head, Orlando, Miami, Vegas, California, and Hawaii. You can also use HGV points in RCI, 4800 would get a 2br unit, 3400 a 1br, 2400 a studio.

Thanks I will...which one is in the less crowded area....Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Anderson Ocean Club or Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Ocean 22? And your suggested buy in cost of 4-6 grand...is that directly thru Hilton or thru a resale company? I'm not sure I feel comfortable buying thru a resale company or ebay like many do here. We definetly will be vacationing at least one week every year, some years twice.

Rugzyschick

Reaction score
Being it is a smaller timeshare there are very few 2 bedrooms, it might be hard to find a prime week. You would be buying a fixed weeks which in RCI you can convert to TPU points and trade elsewhere.

I really don't like the idea of a FIXED week though...so I assume they ONLY offer fixed weeks?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Thanks I will...which one is in the less crowded area....Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Anderson Ocean Club or Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Ocean 22? And your suggested buy in cost of 4-6 grand...is that directly thru Hilton or thru a resale company? I'm not sure I feel comfortable buying thru a resale company or ebay like many do here. We definetly will be vacationing at least one week every year, some years twice.

Once you get north of 10th Ave its not crowded, so either one will be fine. You should be able to reserve a summer week 9 months before.

There are a couple of resale brokers that are highly regarded here. Take a look at Seth Nocks listings for Las Vegas Strip. If you click on More Info you can see the annual fees. There is a 3br 9600 points but the buy in will be a lot higher, however the annual fee is very reasonable (under $1000).

http://www.sellingtimeshares.net/category/listings/hilton/

If you buy from Hilton it will cost a lot more.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I really don't like the idea of a FIXED week though...so I assume they ONLY offer fixed weeks?
A lot of us who own fixed weeks in the same unit at small(ish) resorts really like them because of the very nature of going the same week each year, getting to know the 'neighbors', the kids growing up together at vacations. There is a stability that is nicer than taking 'pot luck' at the resort. Plus it's lower cost as there are no exchange fees, and if it's one you can drive to, no airfare cost. You can always 'skip' a year by depositing your week and going somewhere else. To me, it just makes no sense to spend a bunch of money, only to have to spend more to join a, exchange company, and pay even more to exchange.

Oh, and if I may add the TUG mantra: BUY RESALE, SAVE THOU$AND$! There is NO SUCH THING as a NEW timeshare.

Jim

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham Seawatch or Wyndham Westwinds ... there is no Seawinds resort.
==>Westwinds is all fixed week intervals ... not CWP points system fees unless converted to points but all 1 or 2 bdr units (I believe).
==>Seawatch is points and maybe some fixed weeks or converted fixed weeks intervals.

Any PRIME beachfront summer weeks on the entire East Coast are HIGH demand & PRIME time bookings. Owning CWA or CWP points only gives you the OPTION of booking a unit. Owning at that resort (or group of resorts) at "13 months prior to checkin" for booking a RESERVATION a like trying to win at a game of chance or a lottery. Owning a converted fixed week, gets you ARP for the underlying week ... where general booking is at 10 months out before the checkin day.

I own at an OLDER (nonWyndham) resort where I have fixed week (or converted to RCI Points) intervals ... like week 25, 26, 27, & 28 .. but it is beach block in Ft Lauderdale. Or as my one nephew proclaimed ... "I can see the beach" when he walked into the unit.

Yes, Wyndham points allow you to book at other Wyndham resorts. But there are COSTS to non-VIP owners. Reservation Transactions and Housekeeping Transactions ... after 1 free GUEST CERTIFICATE, the additional ones are $99 each if done online. Yes, a Wyndham Member number comes with an RCI account .. but that is under $150 yearly.

Visit with getting a look inside several units ... rent for a week, if you think THAT resort is "the one" before buying. A $1 or $100 or $1000 timeshare might be a BAD buy if during your first stay, you HATE the resort. Pictures don't show everything.

As my favorite story about my 1st time share .. I brought off ebay, googled the location, had a heated pool, great week ... invited all my siblings to come & stay with me .. .except the entire unit was PINK! Rugs, walls, bathtub, kitchen cabinets, etc. GASPING, my one sister's helpful words to me were "But it looks clean!" ... and my comment was "IT IS ALL PINK" as I tried to hold back tears. 1/2 of my siblings were up in Pompano Beach ... those of us staying at the "Pink Resort" just went up to the nice and pretty Pompano resort to hang out... as it was NOT PINK!

The next year, the pink resort had been rehabbed .. to the tune of $700 per each 1 week of deeded ownership (special assessment) PLUS the regular annual MFs.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Only fixed weeks but I actual like that more. I know exactly what I have and it's mine to use. Myrtle beach on the beach is a prime location, buy prime time and you will be able to get good trades.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you buy HGVC BUY RESALE. You are new to TUG, learn from us and in time you will be comfortable buying resale. You will save many thousands. That 4-6 grand price is for resale.

HGVC is a very nice system, I own within it too. Their timeshares in Myrtle Beach are very nice and are in high rise buildings. Whereas I enjoyed my stay recently in Ocean 22 you loose the intimate beach feeling that Jade has.

And welcome to TUG!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
DO NOT DEED IT TO YOUR DAUGHTER! SHE IS ONLY 11 AND YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT HER CIRCUMSTANCES WILL BE LATER ON IN LIFE!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thank you. Very helpful. I was leaning towards a smaller, older condo simply because on vacation how much time do you really spend in your room? AND I realize that the smaller condos would be a lesser buy in and lesser maintenance fees...I did read alot of great reviews about Jade Tree which is what initially drew me into that one. Was simply looking at Wyndham as well, because they are everywhere "beachy" and are quite nice, but I have a feeling they are gonna want an arm and a leg to buy in directly. The only reason I was leary about Jade Tree was because of only having 2BRs and soon my daughter will be to an age where we start taking one of her friends on vacay with us, so 3BR would probably be the best bet. But with all the research I have done so far, Jade Tree was hitting exactly all the right marks besides the 3BR option and in room laundry. I especially liked how many reviewers had stated that its location isn't in the overly crowded part of myrtle where all the condos are ontop of each other. Plus we wanted to be beachfront. Researching is so time consuming and exhausting...looking into all the different places, reviews, and then checking out their affiliated resorts for more future options of traveling ideas...

We are only a family of three. Bought a 2 bedroom. Wish we had bought a 3 bedroom. Things change as time goes on. You daughter might want to take friends up with her. YOU might want to take friends up with you. Having people sleep on a pull out couch in the living room with no privacy gets old fast.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Only fixed weeks but I actual like that more. I know exactly what I have and it's mine to use. Myrtle beach on the beach is a prime location, buy prime time and you will be able to get good trades.

I love fixed weeks (and remember- you can trade those also). When you have a fixed prime week/unit at a resort you love that you can drive to every year it is golden!

Plus, it's nice to not have to remember to book your own week/unit a year in advance. With a fixed week you just show up! Easy Peasy!

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
There are benefits to both sides of the Large/Small timeshare equation. Both have benefits and drawbacks. Same for fixed/float.

My 2c: make sure you understand the insurance/assessment potential for smaller more independent timeshares in Hurricane zones, and, as mentioned above, understand that just because you own a float-week in peak season, that doesn't mean you can book it when you want--if at all!