• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

California Time ? From the east coast

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Honestly I have no link or reference to go by to CI except for the nostalgia of me driving by there when we lived there and my kids were babies and the vacationers that we saw looked so happy and relaxed. Plus I love the proximity to the beach. Our business is so very stressful, we need someplace to escape to
Carlsbad Inn is lovely. If all you want to do is hunker down and relax by the beach it would be perfect. But if you want to do anything else, go into San Diego, etc., you'll be in your car a lot. I have only stayed there for a few nights at a time. On one of my trips we went to Disneyland one day, to La Jolla, drove up the coast. Personally I think I'd be bored if I stayed on site for too long. But, that's me.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I would like to work it if we could spend time in both Southern Ca and Northern Ca as we miss both. This is a big problem in our lives lol
SoCal and NorCal. It's ok. Really. ;-)

Edited to add: But not 'NoCal'.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
Just an idea ... renting a few vacations from ResorTime.com would allow you to experience a few possible 'home resort' choices first hand ... ?
Thank you. I will look into this site.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
SoCal and NorCal. It's ok. Really. ;-)

Edited to add: But not 'NoCal'.
Lol! And I get so mad when my daughter says NorVa cause it's NOVA but she misses California also ha ha

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
GPX frequently has bonus week sales and you can pick up coastal weeks for cheaper than normal. I tend to use Seapointe more for day use and Carlsbad Inn more for bonus time.

I'm a 3rd generation Californian and I still live here so I guess I win. My grandfather, parents, myself and my sisters were all born in the same hospital in Santa Monica.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
GPX frequently has bonus week sales and you can pick up coastal weeks for cheaper than normal. I tend to use Seapointe more for day use and Carlsbad Inn more for bonus time.
Follow-up question: Do you have to own a GPR property to access bonus weeks? (While offering rate discounts to owners, ResorTime is available to general public. I'm thinking GPX is restricted to owners-only??)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'm a 3rd generation Californian and I still live here so I guess I win. My grandfather, parents, myself and my sisters were all born in the same hospital in Santa Monica.
My daughters are third generation but only one of them still lives in California (Silicon Valley). The younger one is somewhat of a nomad. Her official residence is in New Mexico, but she's physically in Canada.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Follow-up question: Do you have to own a GPR property to access bonus weeks? (While offering rate discounts to owners, ResorTime is available to general public. I'm thinking GPX is restricted to owners-only??)

Yes GPX is for owners only although sometimes I see non GP properties in inventory because they have arrangements with DAE and Bluegreen.

Carlsbad Inn weeks will go for the most money but they also rent well during high season. Carlsbad Inn is fixed/fixed.

Seapointe is fixed/float for summer weeks and float/float for off season weeks.

Del Mar is fixed/fixed.

My CBI is fixed week 35 unit 325

My Seapointe is fixed 35 float unit.

In addition, my Seapointe had been converted to HGVC system and is also worth 6200 points in Hilton system.

You might want to consider a resale Mar Brisa also. You'd get GPX system and HGVC system with one purchase.

Hilton has cash nightly stays also and Mar Brisa has plenty of room for that in off season.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes GPX is for owners only although sometimes I see non GP properties in inventory because they have arrangements with DAE and Bluegreen.

Carlsbad Inn weeks will go for the most money but they also rent well during high season. Carlsbad Inn is fixed/fixed.

Seapointe is fixed/float for summer weeks and float/float for off season weeks.

Del Mar is fixed/fixed.

My CBI is fixed week 35 unit 325

My Seapointe is fixed 35 float unit.

In addition, my Seapointe had been converted to HGVC system and is also worth 6200 points in Hilton system.

You might want to consider a resale Mar Brisa also. You'd get GPX system and HGVC system with one purchase.

Hilton has cash nightly stays also and Mar Brisa has plenty of room for that in off season.
Thank you so much for this info. It is very helpful.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One other reason I would like to ow here.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I own at CBI (that's the code I've seen used here on TUG before and it's the code used on RCI).
I have not found great use with GPX or ResorTime. I think if you plan to trade a lot then CBI is probably not the best value. But Summer weeks will sell and rent well so it's not a big gamble if you can get one at a good price.

I use my week. I absolutely love it. We really enjoy our time there.
We drive a bit during parts of the week but it's really only about 30 minutes to San Diego unless there's traffic. And there's a train you can take either way up or down the coast that's fun too.
We like going to the beach, Legoland, walking around town, or driving up to Laguna Beach or down to San Diego.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
St. John's?

I was describing this rollicking 'snow-ball fight' thread to my hubby and mentioned your 3-gen data point. He thought for a moment and asked, "St. John's?" (he and his mom were both born there).

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Looking to purchase time in San Diego, really love Carlsbad Inn and just learning of others in the area. My question is... if I buy resale, and Grand Pacific is the parent company, can I trade within that group of resorts? What is available under that umbrella as a resale buyer?

I have some shirt-tail relatives who own and love the Carlsbad Inn. It is older, not particularly fancy but it has a good reputation. Grand Pacific Palisades and Las Brisas next door are newer and both nice, but I think that their MF is higher. They are perhaps 3/4 to a mile from the ocean (pretty but cliffs rather than beach) and perhaps 4 -5 miles to a nice beach (Carlsbad State Beach).

If you are not tied to the coast, there is also the Welk Resorts (Escondido). In May and June ("May gray" and "June gloom"), the coast is often overcast with coastal fog for much of the day whereas Welk is inland and is typically sunny and warm.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
St. John's?

I was describing this rollicking 'snow-ball fight' thread to my hubby and mentioned your 3-gen data point. He thought for a moment and asked, "St. John's?" (he and his mom were both born there).

You got it.

My son is a 4th generation but he was born in Escondido.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have some shirt-tail relatives who own and love the Carlsbad Inn. It is older, not particularly fancy but it has a good reputation. Grand Pacific Palisades and Las Brisas next door are newer and both nice, but I think that their MF is higher. They are perhaps 3/4 to a mile from the ocean (pretty but cliffs rather than beach) and perhaps 4 -5 miles to a nice beach (Carlsbad State Beach).

If you are not tied to the coast, there is also the Welk Resorts (Escondido). In May and June ("May gray" and "June gloom"), the coast is often overcast with coastal fog for much of the day whereas Welk is inland and is typically sunny and warm.
Thanks for the info. Very helpful

tarahsu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO | 1BR (ODD)
SDO | 2BD LO (EVEN)

tarahsu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO | 1BR (ODD)
SDO | 2BD LO (EVEN)
Thanks for the info. Very helpful
there have been a few bad reviews of the Welks lately including myself. Unmade rooms, cobwebs, not maintained.
Would not recommend it.