• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Those are the MFs...
The closing costs are ridiculous. Agreed

Interesting to see Fractionals listed - do they not get SOs? Good question!! 6k to 12k in mf and no network option? Ick:eek:

Overall - nothing of interest. Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Completely forgot about this. Looks like I did not miss anything good.

Still wonder why they were not purchased by the resort. I guess they saw no value in the inventory.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Anyone know if they have done or intend doing a similar 'sale' to existing owners for other resorts? I suppose for places like WKORV and WKORV-N there are enough people (who don't frequent this site) willing to pay the developer prices?

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Looks like the MF for Sunset Bay will be around $3,080 for a 2 bedroom week.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the fractional deeds work? A month at WSJ sounds pretty good, but WHICH month makes quite a big difference...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Does anyone know how the fractional deeds work? A month at WSJ sounds pretty good, but WHICH month makes quite a big difference...

You could email Phil and ask?

It was odd to see Fractionals and have no date info...
(also - lack of check-in date as pointed out)

How hard would have this been to add these? arg...

Snowonbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Harborside, Diamond Resorts
We are 3 star owners (Lagunamar and Atlantis) who will be visiting St. John for the first time. We have a 2 bedroom villa booked. Would someone please give some advice on the difference in the various buildings? Are there specific sections we should ask for or avoid?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
We are 3 star owners (Lagunamar and Atlantis) who will be visiting St. John for the first time. We have a 2 bedroom villa booked. Would someone please give some advice on the difference in the various buildings? Are there specific sections we should ask for or avoid?

How many people in your group? Some two bedroom options only sleep 6 (4 comfortably) some sleep 8, some sleep 10.
Do you cook in room a lot? Some have full kitchens. Some have partial kitchens (4 burner cooktop and convection microwave.) Some have light kitchen 2 burner cooktop and microwave.
Are you resort people, like to be in the center of things? Or would you prefer a more laid back, quieter, some distance from main resort?
Are you renting a car for the entire stay?

Gina

Snowonbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Gina

There are only two of us. We do like to cook our own meals so we definitely want a full kitchen. Most of the time we are pretty laid back and don't need to be near the centre of things. We will want to rent a jeep for a couple of days as we like to snorkel. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Hi Gina

There are only two of us. We do like to cook our own meals so we definitely want a full kitchen. Most of the time we are pretty laid back and don't need to be near the centre of things. We will want to rent a jeep for a couple of days as we like to snorkel. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I would ask to be put in a VGV hillside villa buildings 31 - 34(If available) since you will only have two people(max of 6 people in those units). The units have full kitchens, including an oven. It is a walk to the main resort especially if you are in building 33 or 34, but the views can be spectacular. You can request a shuttle up to the building if you venture down to the main resort. Parking is directly outside of your unit, so that is handy.

If you have time, pick up a copy of "St John Off the beaten track" by Gerald Singer. Lots of info on St. John. I found it very helpful the first time I visited so I could pick which places to visit. Great descriptions of the island trails, beaches and history.

Any of the North shore beaches are spectacular. This year we visited Honeymoon for the first time and loved it(saw some squid for the first time). The first time we were there, we went to Maho, very calm bay great for turtles. The best (IMHO) snorkeling is at Waterlemon but that will involve a drive, a hike and a swim to get to Waterlemon. But it is worth it. Hawksnest beach has great snorkeling too. You really can't go wrong with any of the north shore beaches.

I would recommend a trip to the east end. The east end has free roaming goats and donkeys that are fun to see. Plus we love going to Skinny Legs, nice bar in Coral Bay. We have driven all the way to the end of the road, mile marker 12.8 just for the heck of it.

Last year we did the hurricane hole kayak trip through Arawak Expeditions. Very enjoyable. Great snorkeling along the mangroves to see the baby fishes.:)

Have fun-
Gina

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
The best (IMHO) snorkeling is at Waterlemon but that will involve a drive, a hike and a swim to get to Waterlemon. But it is worth it. Hawksnest beach has great snorkeling too. You really can't go wrong with any of the north shore beaches.
Actually, the best snorkeling is at Haulover North (I think). But it's not for beginners and you should only do it when the wind is from the south, otherwise waves. No beach to speak of, and awkward entering the water, but once in and swimming to the left, it's like a coral garden with lots of fish. Waterlemon is 2nd on my list.

Snowonbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all of the suggestions for snorkelling and buildings. Any advice for jeep rentals?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Thanks for all of the suggestions for snorkelling and buildings. Any advice for jeep rentals?

We rent from Amalie on St Thomas. Love the convenience of airport pick up / drop off. Has an added cost/hassle of using the Car Ferry. We've never rented on St. John, but it has some advantages. Some offer parking in Cruz Bay, which can be challenging.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Looks like Sunset Bay is set up as a 40 year RTU with an option to renew by owners vote after the 40 years has ended, no deeded weeks on a Home Options platform like Coral Vista.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
VGV... Tough hill? I think that is relative to fitness level...
but then again - we get a vehicle (Amalie on STT) for the entire time and spend little time at the resort (if any). Not sure why spending big $$$ vacationing on StJ - and then going cheap on getting around (limiting access) this beautiful island. But, that is IMO and IME...
I enjoy getting the car at STT and the car barge - an immediate start to our vacation.

I think prime snorkeling/beach spot is where I am at the moment - however, the best I have seen on-island is off of Blue Cobblestone beach (Nag Head/Salt Pond), and backside of Watermelon (careful...) - otherwise places like Carval Rock and Congo Cay (weather permitting) - but need boat. We are going to forego the BVI for future trips - unfortunately.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
Looks like Hurricane Irma is now a Cat 4 and may be heading near the Virgin Islands. Wish you all luck... hopefully it will veer away....

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Looks like Hurricane Irma is now a Cat 4 and may be heading near the Virgin Islands. Wish you all luck... hopefully it will veer away....

Cat 5 now - and USVI is directly in Irma's path. Still moving West with no Northward movement yet.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
My 2019 week is on the Dashboard for confirmation already!! 18 months out.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cat 5 now - and USVI is directly in Irma's path. Still moving West with no Northward movement yet.

Looks like the eye may pass to the north of USVI. If this track continues, USVI will get some wind, but nothing like the east side of the storm. Hard to imagine the kind of devastation if USVI takes a direct hit with 185 mph winds and gusts over 200 mph.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Looks like the eye may pass to the north of USVI. If this track continues, USVI will get some wind, but nothing like the east side of the storm. Hard to imagine the kind of devastation if USVI takes a direct hit with 185 mph winds and gusts over 200 mph.

"The NHC also said Irma became the strongest hurricane in the Atlantic basin outside of the Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico in recorded history." Hard to believe it is this strong before it gets to the warmer water. Can't imagine the strength it will gain. Hope it steers clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.