• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Island 1st Time for Beachchasers

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
Been here 4 days now, flew into Hilo, rented a car from Hertz (KIA Optima for the full size - works but is a POS (then again what can you really expect with the average rent a car). Checked into Aloha Crater Lodge and Lava tube - all I could get close to Kilauea for $200 per night for two nights. Would not recommend it but then again close to Kilauea hotels seem to only be bad or worse e.g. no pools. We were stuck with a large damp moldy room with bugs in a mini-rainforest, though breakfasts were included and good. Room was cold and it pretty much rained continuously though lightly. Kilauea at Jagger museum
at night to see the crater glow was worth seeing. One hour at the Kilauea and our family was done. Food at Volcano house was marginal at best. Owner gave us good Island advice and was friendly that was an added plus. Next morning drove to black sand beach Pun'unu - outstanding because sea turtles were swimming about with one on the beach. More importantly though the current was strong and the beach swim areas small the beach was not crowded and the black sand has an amazing constituency, falling easily off your body even when wet - easy to clean off, not like the usual white sands. Then off to Captain Cook to taste coffee along the way (Kua is excellent), got a lot of excellent Hawaiian apple bananas and papayas plus chocolate macadamia to keep us going, went to Big Island Bee honey for tasting and purchase and on the advice of the bee gal ended up at Manini Beach Road where we had outrageously excellent snorkeling including one more turtle swimming with us. Rocky with one sand entrance to the Manini beach road access that was really part of a bay - but fish snorkeling experience as good or even better than Hanuama bay at Oahu. Loved those two sites that the next morning we swam them both again - followed by checking in to Kingsland about 7 pm for two nights. Had three turtles camped out on the black sand beach the second day that was cool for us to see. In our South / Southwestern big island much more real and enjoyable than roughly 5 miles north of Captain Cook where all of a sudden the Big Island turns into a mini Waikiki. Prices suddenly go up astronomically and roads all of a sudden have so many cars, though traffic is not as bad as Waikiki. 2 bedroom Kingsland is an outstanding 2 night room for us. No complaints but the resort is not walkable - must have a car. Shuttle schedule is a joke to us to travel around the property. Outrageous prices at the island gourmet supermarket on the grounds though the quality is good. We got up early to go to Magic Sands beach that was a solid spectacular beach followed up by Kua bay that was equally as outstanding. Nice white sands though Magic Beach was crowded though not like Waikiki - and much more beautiful! KUa bay nice white sands - really close to Kingsland (12 1/2 miles or so) larger piece of property, nice lava around - though a beautiful beach in a desolate part of the big island. Kingsland area to me is a resort created out of pretty much the ugliest terrain we have seen on the Big Island. Plus so far is that there are a bunch of spectacular beaches within an hour drive SW of Kingsland - we just do not have the time right now to scope them out. Roads are tight and windy, especially towards the outstanding beaches we went to. Almost forgot - sea turtle swimming with us at Magic Sands with for the most part little fish at both Magic Sands and Kua Bay beaches. Tomorrow flying to our home week at Lagoon - we had a nice BI vacation (eating and restaurant reviews aren't our area of expertise - though we did like the supermarket sushi and local fruit).Flying out of Kona tomorrow late afternoon. Any advice for beach North of Kingsland for tomorrow?

Last edited:

hobie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shell Vacations
That's easy. Quick 10 minute drive north to beach 69 at Waialea Bay. Best beach around. Head north, take a left at the Puako exit and then the first right as it winds down towards the ocean. The parking lot is about half mile down on your left. There are showers and bathrooms to clean up afterwards. Good swimming and snorkeling with plenty of shade and lots of little quiet spots to choose from. Enjoy!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Drive to Hapuna Beach. Beautiful.

Go to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and do a tour up Mauna Kea. Those are the best things to do on the Big Island.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heading to beach 69 later today. Thanks for all the advice but only really time for one more. We all have a bit too much sun exposure so will have to carefully lather up and wear our hats etc. We will handle a bit more before we move to our only early morning or late afternoon sun only routine in Oahu. BI definitely has outrageously excellent beaches. As our family easily agrees, one day at a BI excellent beach is better than a Summer anywhere at the Jersey shore.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I would give a +1 to Hapuna Beach. It's been awarded "best beach" several times. There is a charge of $5.00 for parking, but it's evident they use the money to keep up the parking and surrounding beach area.

I don't know if you'd asked for recommendations in Volcano earlier. If you had I would have recommended the Kilauea Lodge, both to stay at, and to eat at. Their food is probably the best on the island.

CiCi

Reaction score
Heading to beach 69 later today. Thanks for all the advice but only really time for one more. We all have a bit too much sun exposure so will have to carefully lather up and wear our hats etc. We will handle a bit more before we move to our only early morning or late afternoon sun only routine in Oahu. BI definitely has outrageously excellent beaches. As our family easily agrees, one day at a BI excellent beach is better than a Summer anywhere at the Jersey shore.

Great review, thank you! We are headed there next year and wondered what activities there were around KingsLand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and do a tour up Mauna Kea. Those are the best things to do on the Big Island.

I'd argue that the seahorse farm just north of Kona and the Kona Brewing Company rank right up there as well :)

Cheers.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I'd argue that the seahorse farm just north of Kona and the Kona Brewing Company rank right up there as well :)

Cheers.
I haven't been to the seahorse farm so I can't speak to what it is. However, how many places can you visit a live volcano? One thing that has deterred us quite a bit on the seahorse farm is the price. $40 per person (if you buy the ticket online) for ages 13 and up, $30 per person for those 4 to 12, 3 and under free. Admission to Volcano National Park is $25.00 per car, and the pass is good for 7 days.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Great review, thank you! We are headed there next year and wondered what activities there were around KingsLand.

I went to the Big Island for the first time this past January. In my view, the Volcano National Park made the trip worthwhile, but, other than that, Maui, Oahu, and Kauai had a lot more to offer.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to the Big Island for the first time this past January. In my view, the Volcano National Park made the trip worthwhile, but, other than that, Maui, Oahu, and Kauai had a lot more to offer.

I guess it depends upon what one is looking for. I find Oahu overdeveloped and, for the most part, uninteresting. There are certainly some nice parts once one gets away from Waikiki/Honolulu, but not enough, IMO, to make up for the aforementioned. Maui and Kauai are definitely nicer than Oahu but, again, different from Hawai'i, so it depends on what one wants.

Cheers.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't been to the seahorse farm so I can't speak to what it is. However, how many places can you visit a live volcano? One thing that has deterred us quite a bit on the seahorse farm is the price. $40 per person (if you buy the ticket online) for ages 13 and up, $30 per person for those 4 to 12, 3 and under free. Admission to Volcano National Park is $25.00 per car, and the pass is good for 7 days.

Yeah, not the cheapest thing to do on the island but so worth it. No question that the volcano is a fabulous natural wonder to see. Just a long drive from the Kona side and not something we need to do every time. For a first time visitor, though, unquestionably the thing to do.

Cheers.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Yeah, not the cheapest thing to do on the island but so worth it. No question that the volcano is a fabulous natural wonder to see. Just a long drive from the Kona side and not something we need to do every time. For a first time visitor, though, unquestionably the thing to do.

Cheers.
When we go to tne Big Island we usually stay for 2 weeks and during that time we'll spend at least 2 nights at tne Kilaeua Lodge in Volcano Village. During the time we'll also visit Hilo. Even on a trip when we spent only 5 nights in Kona we started with a few nights in Volcano.

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Kona airport now. Kids liked the super pool at the hotel. Beach 69 first one we paid $5 for parking but the facilities were good, tons of natural shade and another spectacular very natural beach absolutely excellent for snorkeling. Thanks for the recommendation! Next time we will hit Hapuna, hopefully next year some time. Room was outstanding at Kingsland. We were 25-109. Wife prefers over Grand Waikikian both for ambiance and washer / dryer in the room was higher quality. Now I learned that though we love Oahu BI is equally spectacular - got to give the edge to BI beaches though surfing is Oahu, snorkeling goes to BI. Hilton time share at BI you really feel far away while at Oahu we feel more connected. Kingsland to us is the better time share units than what we own or have experienced at HHV - though we certainly look forward to our usual week at Lagoon 2BROV.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we go to tne Big Island we usually stay for 2 weeks and during that time we'll spend at least 2 nights at tne Kilaeua Lodge in Volcano Village. During the time we'll also visit Hilo. Even on a trip when we spent only 5 nights in Kona we started with a few nights in Volcano.

That sounds like a great plan with longer trips. Ours are typically 3-4 days, so the drive to the other side of the Island is a bigger consideration. It is a beautiful location, to be sure.

Cheers.

CiCi

Reaction score

Good to know.....we have other islands planned during the trip so I'm okay with not having every day packed with activities.

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lucked out and got room 2165 at Lagoon. Great view and we feel home at Oahu. Time to surf, visit some Oahu beaches and will climb Koko crater again. We just love Lagoon though clearly the room at Kingsland was far superior. The view and serenity of the ocean at this room from the Lanai is really hard to beat.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Lucked out and got room 2165 at Lagoon. Great view and we feel home at Oahu. Time to surf, visit some Oahu beaches and will climb Koko crater again. We just love Lagoon though clearly the room at Kingsland was far superior. The view and serenity of the ocean at this room from the Lanai is really hard to beat.
I've had that room. It is definitely great.

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and HGVC Paradise

Being a resident of Hawaii (locals do not call it Big Island) by all means you are encouraged to stay Maui, Oahu, and Kauai and leave Hawaii to the locals.....sound like you prefer islands that are very touristy.....the great thing about Hawaii is most of the resorts are built out of Kona and there are less pesky tourists in town....there are even beaches on Hawaii that are pretty much kept a secret or made difficult to access to keep tourists away.....Hawaii really has the most to offer from the other islands.....however each island has it's own personality.....

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Being a resident of Hawaii (locals do not call it Big Island) by all means you are encouraged to stay Maui, Oahu, and Kauai and leave Hawaii to the locals.....sound like you prefer islands that are very touristy.....the great thing about Hawaii is most of the resorts are built out of Kona and there are less pesky tourists in town....there are even beaches on Hawaii that are pretty much kept a secret or made difficult to access to keep tourists away.....Hawaii really has the most to offer from the other islands.....however each island has it's own personality.....

Could not agree more. I'm also amused (although I understand) when this is referred to as the "Big Island" instead of Hawaii. I will do it when trying to explain to people which island we're going to when "Hawaii" won't work with them. Of course, for those less familiar, I get the confusion.

There is just so much there that isn't a "destination" in any standard sense. And, if that's what people want, there are definitely better locations. Walking through Waikiki once (something I will not do again unless I need to), I felt that I was in New York on the water. I love New York- I was born and raised there and visit often. If I want New York, though, I go to New York.

Generally, if I want Hawaii, I go to Hawaii...the Island.

Cheers.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Guilty as charged on both counts. I refer to it as the Big Island because "Hawaii" is ambiguous. I'm a lawyer. What can I say? "Hawaii" has two meanings.

I'm also a tourist when I go to the islands. (Now I'm afraid to use the word, "Hawaii." <g>) If I didn't want to be a tourist there I'd buy a house and move there. (Which would make my wife VERY, VERY, happy. She really wants to move there.) I do tourist things. Again, guilty. Pesky tourist badge.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I'm local and have lived on oahu all my life. All my friends and i call it the big island from when we were growing up.

When speaking with tourists it is hard for them to distinguish that "hawaii" is the big island. Predominantly they will think you are talking about oahu(at least everyone i have spoken with). When they say hawaii, i ask are you staying in hilo or kona. They tell me neither, we are staying in waikiki.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
When they say hawaii, i ask are you staying in hilo or kona.

I generally just tell people "Kona" for Hawaii, and that avoids the confusion. It's a known location. Kahului and Lihue not so much, so I mention the islands there, but they carry no ambiguity.

Cheers.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Guilty as charged on both counts. I refer to it as the Big Island because "Hawaii" is ambiguous. I'm a lawyer. What can I say? "Hawaii" has two meanings.

I'm also a tourist when I go to the islands. (Now I'm afraid to use the word, "Hawaii." <g>) If I didn't want to be a tourist there I'd buy a house and move there. (Which would make my wife VERY, VERY, happy. She really wants to move there.) I do tourist things. Again, guilty. Pesky tourist badge.
Agree, if I tell people I am going to Hawaii (in the NE) they automatically assume I am talking about the state generically.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll be there in July. Does anyone know about the tours that used to take people from the Visitor Center to the Observatories? Are they still running?