• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai in August - what's it like?

LJT

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all - we are looking at booking a 10 day trip to Kauai for August next year. It is the only month open for us. We haven't been there at this time before and wondered about crowds and weather. Is is noticably more crowded than in the fall with the kids out of school and what is the weather like? We will split our time between Poipu and Princeville. I am at the age where the heat bothers me a bit more and I know most places aren't air conditioned. Any advice?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We have been there in June, September, and January. Point at Poipu had AC in the main living area and Master bedroom. My DIL who can not take heat was with us in September at Bali Hai in Princeville and with the windows and fans she was fine.

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were in Kauai in August, 2015 and stayed one week at the Westin in Princeville and the second week at the Point at Poi'pu. The Westin was wonderful ~ it had central air. The weather is more humid in August but the A/C and the pools at the Westin were perfect. Just make sure when your traveling out to take plenty of water. I'm 75 and heat often bothers me too, but we were fine and love our stay at the Westin.

Poi'pu was wonderful as well, but the resort only had window a/c in the master bedroom and the main living area. The air from the living area did not cool the second bathroom and getting dressed for an evening out was very uncomfortable. Trying to fix my hair was impossible. I was wringing wet before I was completely ready to go. Don't get me wrong the resort was great, but the lack of central air was very difficult for all of us. There was some trade winds blowing from the ocean but the air was very humid. We were in a 2 bedroom with another couple. We let them have the master bedroom since they were such good friends to us and we wanted to show our appreciation. So our tiny 2nd bedroom was not very cool.

Everything was busy but I didn't notice any excessive crowding at either the North or South in Kauai in August. I love this island no matter what month we go. Take the plunge for August and look for a resort with central A/C if the heat is troublesome for you. Enjoy your trip.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
We are going to Kauai this August. I'll report when we get back.
Would love any feedback.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can feel good about booking your August vacation in Kauai. We were in Kauai last year in late August for 2 weeks. It was sunny, hot, and humid - fantastic weather for being in the water. Restaurants with open air seating and ceiling fans (and a mai tai ) were quite comfortable. We just didn't have the energy to hike longer trails in the high heat of late summer, or golf in the afternoon.

I would not book in a resort without A/C at that time of year again, though. Our week in Kauai Beach Villas was pretty miserable at night. (It only had a window A/C unit in the living room.) We were happy as clams in our Princeville unit with central air!

We had spent the previous two weeks on Maui, so Kauai was blissfully void of crowds!

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
We were in Kauai in August, 2015 and stayed one week at the Westin in Princeville and the second week at the Point at Poi'pu. The Westin was wonderful ~ it had central air. The weather is more humid in August but the A/C and the pools at the Westin were perfect. Just make sure when your traveling out to take plenty of water. I'm 75 and heat often bothers me too, but we were fine and love our stay at the Westin.

Poi'pu was wonderful as well, but the resort only had window a/c in the master bedroom and the main living area. The air from the living area did not cool the second bathroom and getting dressed for an evening out was very uncomfortable. Trying to fix my hair was impossible. I was wringing wet before I was completely ready to go. Don't get me wrong the resort was great, but the lack of central air was very difficult for all of us. There was some trade winds blowing from the ocean but the air was very humid. We were in a 2 bedroom with another couple. We let them have the master bedroom since they were such good friends to us and we wanted to show our appreciation. So our tiny 2nd bedroom was not very cool.

Everything was busy but I didn't notice any excessive crowding at either the North or South in Kauai in August. I love this island no matter what month we go. Take the plunge for August and look for a resort with central A/C if the heat is troublesome for you. Enjoy your trip.
Most of the 2 bedrooms units at the Point at Poi'pu have A/C in both the bedrooms. There are some rooms that wrap around a corner, and those have the 2nd A/C in the living area. If someone is going to occupy the 2nd bedroom, it's best to request ahead of time for a unit with A/C in both bedrooms. One year we got a unit with with the 2nd A/C in the living area and it worked out great because we weren't using the 2nd bedroom.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Most of the time we visit Poipu it's in Jan-March. Last year we went in August. We didn't notice a big difference in the temperature or the crowds. We stay at the Point at Poi'pu, and were surprised that there weren't more kids in August. We're sensitive to both heat and humidity, and wouldn't stay there any time of year without A/C.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We visit Hawaii for 2-1/2 weeks every August. DW is a school teacher, and also has summer classes, so August is the only time window we have available to us.

Weather will depend on the trade winds. Trade winds blow most of the time, and are from the northeast. They keep the islands relatively cool - temps in the 80's with relative humidity about 60%. Generally quite pleasant, particularly given the latitude. If your experience is Florida or the Caribbean, Hawaii is a wonderful change.

When the trade winds falter the southerly Kona winds prevail, and it becomes much more tropical - hotter, more humid, and little air movement. Still not as bad as the Caribbean can be in August. Generally you can get by without AC, but it's very nice to have when Kona.

Hawaii does not have nearly the hurricane threats that the Caribbean has (because the Pacific Ocean is cooler), but August is the peak month for tropical storms. About one-half the time there are significant storms being tracked, and perhaps one-third of the time there is a day with significant weather - usually a day or rainy weather. Even if there is no storm, there may be some elevated surf on south and east facing beaches.

One advantage of going to Hawaii in August is that the ocean on the North Shore is calmer. That means that you can be in the water at places such as Hanalei and the Princeville beaches. (Note that there are some beaches where it is not safe to swim any time. Know before you go.)

Because of the school vacations situation, Hawaii is relatively crowded in August. You will see that in air fares and car rental rates, especially.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Most of the 2 bedrooms units at the Point at Poi'pu have A/C in both the bedrooms. There are some rooms that wrap around a corner, and those have the 2nd A/C in the living area. If someone is going to occupy the 2nd bedroom, it's best to request ahead of time for a unit with A/C in both bedrooms. One year we got a unit with with the 2nd A/C in the living area and it worked out great because we weren't using the 2nd bedroom.
I found out last week that the staff at Point at Poipu call those the "elbow" units.

Because the A/C is in the bedroom and living room, those are great for two people. They are horrible if you need the second bedroom, however. In that floor plan, the second bedroom is located next to the walkway, on the side of the unit away from the water. That means that the windows of the second bedroom open onto the hallway, where people are walking past. Because the room does not have A/C, to get ventilation you have to open the windows. Meaning that whoever is in that room will be in a room with open windows, and people walking past those windows. Plus when the wind gusts, it blows the curtains open.
t can be a very unpleasant situation.

I would never put a female member in that room unless there were absolutely no other options, and if we have enough people in our party so that we will need that second room I put in a request to the resort to not assign us the room, being sure to provide the explanation I gave above as to why we would prefer not to be assigned one of the elbow units.

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our unit was not an (elbow room) but on the top floor of building 6. It was a wonderful room with plenty of trade winds blowing, however the 2nd bedroom and bathroom were captive and horrible. It had two twin beds and one night stand between them. You had to enter and exit the bed from the center of the room because the other side of the bed was up against the wall. There was a closet ~ and that was it. I'm not even sure if kids would be comfortable in that room. The view from this unit was unbelievable. You could see for miles from our lanai. I would never complain about the unit ~ only the second bedroom and bath.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to Kauai this August. I'll report when we get back.
Would love any feedback.
Thanks in advance...and please do. Apparently, I have unwittingly joined a trend - we've gone to Waiohai on or immediately after President's Week EOY for a decade. Next year school commitments will prevent us from taking that 'extra' week of vacation in February...so Hawaii in August, 2018 it is.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I am writing this from the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club, where we have stayed every year for the past seven years.
In my opinion, you cannot do better than this on Kauai.
Our two kids (14) love it. They snorkel or boogie board on Poipu Beach every day.
The pool at Waiohai is so-so, and there is no formal restaurant but the grounds are great and the rooms are wonderful.
Shopping and dining very close.

You can rent Waiohai easily on Redweek. I estimate a 2BR would be $1900-$2400 for island view for the week.

vbk

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in Princeville right now and with the windows open for cross vent and the ceiling fans it's quite cool tonight. And it's been raining but not muggy at all. We will be in Kehaka next week where I expect it to be much warmer with less relief without A/C. I love September and October on Kauai, kids are back in school and there are less crowds everywhere.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We just got back from Kauai. We have never gone this late in the summer before - we usually go in June. It was hot, humid, and buggie.

Bugs find me delicious! :mad: I can deal with hot and humid, but not extra bug bites. Next year we are going earlier!

Not sure, but I believe that I had mosquito bites, sand flea bites, and possibly jelly fish larve stings. I used bug repellant faithfully.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We just got back from Kauai. We have never gone this late in the summer before - we usually go in June. It was hot, humid, and buggie.

Bugs find me delicious! :mad: I can deal with hot and humid, but not extra bug bites. Next year we are going earlier!

Not sure, but I believe that I had mosquito bites, sand flea bites, and possibly jelly fish larve stings. I used bug repellant faithfully.
We found Kauai to be very "buggy" in the summer. We noticed a ton of little tiny black flying bugs. We were probably there late August.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
In June, I haven't had much problem - but late July/Aug. was different.

taffy19

Reaction score
September can be the same. It was in 2014 in Kauai but not too bad in Oahu in September 2016. It really depends how strong the trade winds are and where they are coming from.

We have gone every month over the years except in July and August during the school holidays and not during Federal holiday weeks either when airfares and everything else is much more expensive and it is crowded everywhere too.

Also you have to make reservations well in advance for restaurants or wait a long time and also for popular tours while not knowing what the weather will be like. They will go unless the condition is dangerous but you may be disappointed not to see it at it's best.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I'm currently planning the first week of July. I wonder if the 3rd week of June would be better. (I'm already confirmed into Kohala Suites on the Big Island for the fourth week of June; it has to match up with that.)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

Did you have bug issues all over or just in certain places on the island? I've been there most months but not during the summer. The only time we had bug issues was on the Coco Palms tour. The mosquitos were really bad with all the moisture and everything was overgrown.

Just curious if you had issues on your lanai or walking around town or beaches? One if these years we'll make it there in the summer. I've been there every month now except June, July and August.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think I had issues everywhere - no matter what I did or where I went, I had new bites every day - of different types. So it seemed like more than one thing was biting me. I had two bites that were large and swollen and red - about the size of a nickel and kind of blood shot - with swelling the size of a quarter. One on my wrist and one on my thigh. I had some bites that were flat with no head on them, and not very red, and I had some that almost looked like a pimple. About 2 dozen bites over 2 weeks and all of them itched! I didn't get any more after I got on the airplane.

My DH had NO bites! I obviously taste better!

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Thanks, I remember one night sitting on our lanai in February, my wife was feeling something and I didn't have any problems. When she woke up the next day she had a bunch of welts. Luckily, they didn't itch her too bad. I watched during our other times sitting out there and never did see anything.
Otherwise, my wife and I always say how nice it is without bugs when we're on Kauai.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Hawaii without AC can be very uncomfortable sometimes. We won't go without it now...

LJT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. We plan to stay at Sheraton Poipu and Westin Princeville so will have A/C in our room. I just wondered if dinners out are miserable without A/C in the restaurants. I know a lot depends on the trades. Didn't think about bugs. Will take some bug repellent oils with me!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Thanks everyone for the input. We plan to stay at Sheraton Poipu and Westin Princeville so will have A/C in our room. I just wondered if dinners out are miserable without A/C in the restaurants. I know a lot depends on the trades. Didn't think about bugs. Will take some bug repellent oils with me!
You know I've never worried about dinner without A/C. Many places we've eaten have either been outside, or completely open. Those that aren't have had A/C.