• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Full Face Snorkel Mask

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of these masks lately on FB and Amazon. Has anyone on TUG used one? If so how well do they work? I am looking to get one for the Night Manta Snorkel Trip in Hawaii next month. I like the idea of the full face as I wear dentures and these don't require the usual mouth piece that traditional snorkel tubes have.

TIA,

Suzanne

LurkerBee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coconut Plantation
Make sure you do your research and understand the pros, cons, and potential risks with a full face mask. You can't dive; you shouldn't exert yourself too hard while wearing one; if you don't have a good seal, water leaks into the mask and there is no easy way to clear it; and there is a possibly of CO2 buildup because they don't exchange as much air as a typical snorkel. Here is one link that details some of the pros and cons - http://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/full-face-snorkel-mask.html

That said, I haven't used one. What I have read has turned me off even trying one.

brownhaired_girl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to Costa Rica last winter with my 80yo mother. I had done some research before our trip because I knew mom would not have been able to manage a conventional snorkel with her dentures. Now I understand it is possible but I was pretty sure this wouldn't work for mom. I had contacted the place where we wanted to go diving and they did not supply full face snorkels. I got a full face snorkel for her and we took it to a local pool to practice. After that I ordered a second one for myself. They worked fine and we went snorkeling for the first time last winter. The full face snorkel was comfortable and we had a good time.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My SIL left one in our house and I tried it on our Caribbean cruise trip because it's smaller to pack. It worked fine.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
My wife has one and loves it. She has had it for years now. She hasn't experienced any of the negatives listed above.

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife took water in on it first snorkeling attempt and didn't enjoy it. When we got home I ordered the full face one. It worked very well for her and was easy to use. Other than it's a pain to carry around when not using it. I think I could sleep face down in it, lol, but I wear scba's for my job so I'm more accustomed to them already.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We saw & then talked to a guy using one last winter in Caye Caulker (Belize). He thought it was fantastic and had no trouble adjusting to it from his previous traditional style snorkelling mask.

I am thinking of getting DH one, as after nearly 25 yrs of being a firefighter and breathing through his nose with a SCBA (fire mask), he just cant get used to breathing through his mouth while snorkelling. He thought he was going to suck his eyeballs out of their sockets when he tried snorkelling for the first time 2 years ago. :eek:
He just isn't a 'mouth breather'!

~Diane

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I looked at the full face masks but we opted not to get them. My concern was regarding the air exchange. Breathing through your nose, there just doesn't appear to e enough air pushed out with each breath and you end up just breathing the same air over and over again.

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked at the full face masks but we opted not to get them. My concern was regarding the air exchange. Breathing through your nose, there just doesn't appear to e enough air pushed out with each breath and you end up just breathing the same air over and over again.
The one we purchased let's you breathe through your nose or mouth. Not sure if they all do it not.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Make sure you do your research and understand the pros, cons, and potential risks with a full face mask. You can't dive; you shouldn't exert yourself too hard while wearing one; if you don't have a good seal, water leaks into the mask and there is no easy way to clear it; and there is a possibly of CO2 buildup because they don't exchange as much air as a typical snorkel. Here is one link that details some of the pros and cons - http://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/full-face-snorkel-mask.html

That said, I haven't used one. What I have read has turned me off even trying one.

I agree, a good seal is essential and I am more comfortable with water leaking in on a regular mask than with the full face one. I have trouble finding a mask that fits well, so doubt a full face one would fit any better. I saw them at Costco in Honolulu, and tried one on...felt much more claustrophic for me :shrug:
The Costco price was $45.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The one we purchased let's you breathe through your nose or mouth. Not sure if they all do it not.

I believe they all do. One thing I did like about them that I read is that fogging was not an issue with full face masks. I just get the impression that you don't want to exert yourself too much when using it since you are breathing in a higher concentration of CO2 and can tire more quickly.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I think based on all I have read, I t hink I will try one. I am doing the night Manta Ray Snorkel on my trip to Hawaii. Its been on my bucket list for years. Due to dentures, a regular snorkel is jusy uncomfortable for me. I really want to enjoy it and not worry about losing my dentures.
Suzanne

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We bought a couple for our trip to Hawaii. They weren't supposed to fog but the fogged as bad as any snorkel mask we've ever had. Next time I'll make sure to use some of the anti fog spray for snorkel masks

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought a couple for our trip to Hawaii. They weren't supposed to fog but the fogged as bad as any snorkel mask we've ever had. Next time I'll make sure to use some of the anti fog spray for snorkel masks

The best anti fog stuff I ever found is plain old Johnson's Baby Shampoo. When Diving in the Islands a Dive Master turned me and my husband onto it. Hubby's mask was always fogging. Just rub a small dab in the mask and rinse well and your good to go. I always carried a travel size bottle in my dive bag. Cheaper and no stinging the eyes.

Suzanne

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
I bought one of the French-made ones. Did not like it, mainly because it was too tight a fitting for me, and I was unable to make it looser. One of our guests (a beginning snorkeler) used it and liked it, though. It did not seem to fog up for her.

OKPACIFIC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a triboard easybreath 4 years ago while on vacation in Europe. Got a lot of strange looks back home because they had not yet been released for sale in the US. It has worked fine for me. The only criticisms I have is that sand gets stuck along the seal between the eyes and the mouth. Also when I breath in, it makes a very faint ghost-like sound. These are very minor issues and I have enjoyed using the mask.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
. . . I like the idea of the full face as I wear dentures and these don't require the usual mouth piece that traditional snorkel tubes have.
TIA,
Suzanne
Aloha,
I use this snorkel which has a couple of advantages over traditional snorkels: http://www.finisswim.com/Swimmers-Snorkel
Properly adjusted, it requires no (zero) bite pressure; all you have to do is remember to keep your lips closed.
Due to its center-line design, if worn properly, there is zero jaw fatigue even when swimming full throttle for over an hour (my pool work out). If worn improperly (off-center), it will vibrate/shimmy until properly adjusted.
If you want the check valve at the end to keep water from splashing in, it is an option http://www.finisswim.com/Dry-Top-Attachment
For reasons irrelevant to this thread, I don't use the dry top attachment so have no first hand experience with it.
Jack

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
The best anti fog stuff I ever found is plain old Johnson's Baby Shampoo. When Diving in the Islands a Dive Master turned me and my husband onto it. Hubby's mask was always fogging. Just rub a small dab in the mask and rinse well and your good to go. I always carried a travel size bottle in my dive bag. Cheaper and no stinging the eyes.

Suzanne
Aloha,
Years ago I did extensive web research on anti-fog products. I've been using 500psi ever since with high satisfaction.
https://www.google.com/search?q=500....1.69i57j0.13406j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Jack

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of these masks lately on FB and Amazon. Has anyone on TUG used one? If so how well do they work? I am looking to get one for the Night Manta Snorkel Trip in Hawaii next month. I like the idea of the full face as I wear dentures and these don't require the usual mouth piece that traditional snorkel tubes have.

TIA,

Suzanne
After first trip to Hawaii, watching my wife freak out trying to use regular mask and snorkel I decided not to push her.
Problems were, she wasn't comfortable in the water, didn't like breathing thru mouth and snorkel was uncomfortable due to her smaller mouth.
A frien sent me a video for Tribold so decided to give it another try.
On our 7th trip last October she snorkeled with the full face mask.
She had no problems with leaks, co2, etc.
She isn't over her apprehension about water, so wore belt and hung on to me. For the first time she was able to see what I had been talking about

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
After first trip to Hawaii, watching my wife freak out trying to use regular mask and snorkel I decided not to push her.
Problems were, she wasn't comfortable in the water, didn't like breathing thru mouth and snorkel was uncomfortable due to her smaller mouth.
A frien sent me a video for Tribold so decided to give it another try.
On our 7th trip last October she snorkeled with the full face mask.
She had no problems with leaks, co2, etc.
She isn't over her apprehension about water, so wore belt and hung on to me. For the first time she was able to see what I had been talking about
Thats awesome. Glad she gave it another chance. I ordered the mask. I will try it out in pool before taking to Hawaii. Hope the small size fits, if not I have time to return for the large before my trip.
Suzanne

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Do they work with beards?
My husband reports, "Yes and no. It worked but the seal isn't as good as w/out a beard." He said he is OK with it but finds himself draining the mask more often than one that isn't full face.

(We bought a full face mask from Costco early this summer. I don't recall the brand ...)

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
We ordered some from Amazon (the least expensive ones we could find), and used them last year in Hawaii. It was a revelation. It was like all of the down sides of snorkeling disappeared for me.

We haven't been snorkeling since then, but I loaned our masks to a co-worker who used them in the Galapagos, and he pronounced them, "life-changing."

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
We ordered some from Amazon (the least expensive ones we could find), and used them last year in Hawaii. It was a revelation. It was like all of the down sides of snorkeling disappeared for me.

We haven't been snorkeling since then, but I loaned our masks to a co-worker who used them in the Galapagos, and he pronounced them, "life-changing."

Glad to know they worked well for you in Hawaii as that's where I will be using them for the first time. Which Island and where did you use the masks? We will be on Oahu and The Big Island end of this month. I am the only one of us 3 that will be snorkeling. I plan to use the mask for the night Manta Ray Snorkel trip on the Big Island. Any other spots you could give me for shore snorkeling would be helpful.

Suzanne

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
We were on the Big Island and we took an afternoon snorkeling excursion to Kealakekua Bay, which folks say is the best place on the Big Island for snorkel.