• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MKO Regular 2BR vs. 2BR Penthouse

shoeie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just booked MKO for next summer, taking family (2 adults, 4 kids, possibly a nanny). Currently I'm booked into a 2BR OV Penthouse, which is over 1,000 MVC points more expensive than the regular 2BR. I've been to MKO before, but only with my wife, never kids. So really, the question is, is it worth the extra 1150 points for the "penthouse" which I understand doesn't necessarily mean its on a high floor (although I've requested a high floor).

Appreciate the collective thoughts/wisdom.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Just booked MKO for next summer, taking family (2 adults, 4 kids, possibly a nanny). Currently I'm booked into a 2BR OV Penthouse, which is over 1,000 MVC points more expensive than the regular 2BR. I've been to MKO before, but only with my wife, never kids. So really, the question is, is it worth the extra 1150 points for the "penthouse" which I understand doesn't necessarily mean its on a high floor (although I've requested a high floor).

I had this same dilemma when we were at MKO over Spring Break last year. I was put on 10th floor in Kona, which was a great room and I liked the high floor. You can't go wrong with the Penthouse unit.

Your other alternative is to book a Single Entry 2BR OV, which means you will be in Naia tower. We were just there using points and were put on the 7th floor, which was just high enough to see over the trees. I believe week owners were put in the top floors of Naia, but I was very happy on the 7th floor and in Naia tower.

Since I don't want to routinely use points for the Penthouse view, I will try this method to try and stay in Naia tower. If this is a rare trip to Ko Olina, then by all means, keep your Penthouse view, it will be terrific.

Best,

Greg

scpoidog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina

PH view is nice, as your guaranteed a higher floor as previously stated. Also no one is walking above you. Downside is that it's more points and it gets hotter than other lower rooms ( hot air rises) and it's tougher to cool down if you like the unit really cool.

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
With the higher ceilings comes higher windows that can't be blocked (no curtains) from the early morning sun or any sun during the day for that matter. I most recently had a PH villa in Naia and would not use extra points for that again. You can't get the bedrooms dark during the day and if you have small kids that need a nap, it could be a problem.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
With the higher ceilings comes higher windows that can't be blocked (no curtains) from the early morning sun...
You just made my day. We have a penthouse reservation for our first visit to Ko Olina in summer 2018 and getting the rest of the family out the door can be a challenge in Hawaii. Now I just have to practice saying, "Oh sorry, I guess there aren't any curtains to keep it dark in the morning", with a straight face...;-)

shoeie

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the higher ceilings comes higher windows that can't be blocked (no curtains) from the early morning sun or any sun during the day for that matter. I most recently had a PH villa in Naia and would not use extra points for that again. You can't get the bedrooms dark during the day and if you have small kids that need a nap, it could be a problem.

Good info. No small kids on this trip (will range from 10-17) so naps not an issue. But something I hadn't thought of. The A/C cooling issue could cause me to reconsider however.

We're actually likely going to bring a nanny as well for the younger two kids, so now my thought process has shifted between to whether to stick with the 2BR penthouse or move to the 3BR.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
With that entourage, I'd go with the 3BR over the penthouse.
Kids of that age might like Marriott Waiohai better, as Poipu Beach is far better than the Ko Olina lagoons. Just sayin...

scpoidog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina
PH units are ok, but if you have that many people a three BR might be better. Would the nanny get the couch in the living room in a 2 BR?

shoeie

TUG Member
Reaction score
PH units are ok, but if you have that many people a three BR might be better. Would the nanny get the couch in the living room in a 2 BR?

Yep-she's my niece so she's just happy to get a free trip to Hawaii!

Kids of that age might like Marriott Waiohai better, as Poipu Beach is far better than the Ko Olina lagoons. Just sayin...

None of the kids have ever been to HI. I always think Oahu is the place to start your HI exploration (I was born in Honolulu). We plan to rent a minivan and really explore. And yes, I agree the Ko Olina lagoons are just "meh," but we're more using MKO as a base of operations.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
With that entourage, I'd go with the 3BR over the penthouse.
Agreed, but of course Waiohai doesn't have 3BR units. Cheers.