• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Home security systems?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
There is a Barking Dogs skill - well- not a skill - but in Prime Music-on Amazon Echo BTW! LOL! You can give the illusion that you have dogs if you don't!

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I had my doberman, she would defend ANY home I was inside of. She would sit between me and anyone else in the room....staring at them and always throwing looks over her shoulder at me. She was a great dog ... as she could curl her upper lip to show her fang on one side of her mouth and growl just enough to scare ANYONE to leave/retreat or scream my name for me to save them. Her goal was NOT to wake me ... but to run them off.

Even came up over my shoulder from HER nap when the US Custom agent started with his fifty questions on ski conditions in Canada .... the custom agent ASKED me "is that YOUR DOG?" and I replied, "Do I look dumb enough to have someone else's doberman in the back seat of my car?" He then said, "you can go" .... still frozen 6+ feet away from my car window.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister and her husband thought their dogs would be a deterrent as well. That is until the dogs (and my sister and bil) all slept through it when someone stole my bil's truck which was parked on their driveway. Oh yeah, the thief also opened their garage door using the opener in the truck. Great watch dogs. These dogs would go ballistic if anyone came to the front door however.

All dogs are not created (nor trained) equal, trust me ;)

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
When I had my doberman, she would defend ANY home I was inside of...

I had a Golden Retriever who welcomed everyone with a tail wag.
I should'a put a Beware of 'Too Friendly' Dog sign on the door. :ponder:

We now have a video doorbell, motion-sensing floods and monitors.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We have three doodles. They look like Disney dogs but no one is getting past them and they bark like ferocious beasts. Having said that, since they now vacation with us, our house is left unprotected and we have a need for security cameras, etc.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have three doodles. They look like Disney dogs but no one is getting past them and they bark like ferocious beasts. Having said that, since they now vacation with us, our house is left unprotected and we have a need for security cameras, etc.

..just hope you've never revealed your travel weeks on this, or any other forum...

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
A DIY system called SimpliSafe. I think monitoring is about $15. A pretty comprehensive system is about $225. Uses your cell phone versus your landline. As always, depends on what you feel good about (Don't steal your neighbor's ADT lawn sign - you can buy one for about $20!!)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Security cameras are good if you can catch the act in real time. But I know from an experience I had in a store- when someone stole my shopping bag and it was caught on camera- the police said- they didn't know who the person was in the video so they could do nothing about it. Just sayin'.....

Last edited:

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
..just hope you've never revealed your travel weeks on this, or any other forum...

Ha! Good point. No, I generally do not do list my travel plans online. Our house is unprotected by dogs but not by security system.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an update on my situation... We decided to go with the Ring doorbell for our needs. We're hoping to catch on video any entry into the house, and also the driveway. We'll be putting an additional doorbell downstairs too, covering the basement entry. Their cloud setup is only $3/month per device, so that will be an additional charge. After reading the reviews on Ring, it should hopefully work as advertised, and people do seem generally happy with it.

And if I can see one of those Yi 1080 resolution indoor cameras below $50 mentioned earlier, I'd probably complement my setup with one of those inside.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions... after spending a lot of time researching, there really were some excellent recommendations made on this thread - Yi (or similar low budget inside camera), Arlo, Ring, and Nest are all outstanding choices, depending on your needs and budget.

Last edited:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, the 4 pack of Yi 720p security cameras are available on Amazon now for $109 when applying code yihomerx. IME, 720p is plenty enough res for home security -- since it's highly unlikely you'll even recognize the perp, there's almost certainly no need to try to ascertain when he last shaved.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, the 4 pack of Yi 720p security cameras are available on Amazon now for $109 when applying code yihomerx. IME, 720p is plenty enough res for home security -- since it's highly unlikely you'll even recognize the perp, there's almost certainly no need to try to ascertain when he last shaved.

Thanks for posting. My home security setup is complete. I ended up with a Ring doorbell on the front and back door, a Ring floodlight for above the garage and two indoor Yi cameras. I ended up spending about $600 for everything. Everything is pretty low profile, and I'd be willing to bet that most people wouldn't even notice any of it - which was a big factor in my decisions. Very happy with all of it!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0722R3WV5?ref_=ams_ad_dp_asin_3

https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Doorbel...=UTF8&qid=1500733390&sr=1-1&keywords=ring+pro

https://www.amazon.com/YI-Camera-Wi...e=UTF8&qid=1500733457&sr=1-3&keywords=yi+1080

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like you got some very good deals to get it all for $600.

Pat, you're correct - bad math on my part, my apologies! Actually closer to $700... (One Ring Pro for the front, one old version of Ring for the back door, and one Ring Floodlight for the garage). All the Ring equipment cost $600 (I got the Ring Pro on sale at Sam's for $200), but the two Yi indoor cameras cost $110 extra.

Anyway, I'm sure most would probably be satisfied with just the purchase of one indoor Yi camera (as Elan mentioned) for about $50 or $60. I was very impressed with the video quality, plus it allowed me to remote control the unit from my phone, as well as hear and communicate to the dogs through my phone while we were away. Pretty amazing actually. I highly recommend these for travelers while you're away... See if you're satisfied with just the indoor camera, it's worth a shot for the $50 or $60. :)