• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Latest Survey from HGVC

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think that hgvc can change the 9-12 months booking window, at least not without having the owners at each resort vote about it.

If they could change the rules, why haven't they a long time ago changed the booking rules for the New York Hilton club. Here only owners can book. Without knowing I assume that some or more than expected inventory are wasted because owners don't book or use open season.

I would rather that owners could book any size accommodations for any length i.e. 1 day or 2 days. But again I don't think hgvc can change the rules without have the majority of owners to vote for it.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I recently received a survey from HGVC. It took about 20-30 minutes to complete. Most of the survey was related to sales practises but two questions dealt with changes to HGVC rules itself.

One question dealt with changing Home Week Priority window from 1 year-276 day to 1 year-6 months. This would reduce the start of the club window to 6 months. The second question dealt with hardship insurance. I am not sure if this was for loan payment of MFs. I think that it was for MF. But in either case, I think that the owner wouldn't be allowed to make reservations if this option was exercised.

I wish that I would have captured screen shots of the exact questions. Hopefully others will be able to add to the discussion.

I don't like expanding the home week reservation period and shrinking the club reservation period as I have previously stated. However, I read the over again the post that started this discussion and started to get mad. Why was GT75 and some others given the survey? Why wasn't I and other owner/members given it? If HGVC wanted to get a true picture of owners feeling it would have surveyed all of us. Perhaps GT75 can give some insight into this by stating where he owns, did he buy from the developer, does he use the home week reservation period?

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I don't like expanding the home week reservation period and shrinking the club reservation period as I have previously stated. However, I read the over again the post that started this discussion and started to get mad. Why was GT75 and some others given the survey? Why wasn't I and other owner/members given it? If HGVC wanted to get a true picture of owners feeling it would have surveyed all of us. Perhaps GT75 can give some insight into this by stating where he owns, did he buy from the developer, does he use the home week reservation period?

Perhaps Alexadeparis and others who received the survey can also give some information about their ownership!

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Typically they'll survey a specific percentage of owners. They don't need to survey everyone to understand what the majority is thinking. Surveys are usually sent randomly to get a good cross section of ownership.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Changing the Club Reservation Window has been talked about before
HGVC Program News (April 2007) - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/hgvc-program-news.44320/

HGVC can change the rules at anytime.

From the 2017 Club Reference Guide
Program Changes. Club program use options and rules, including but not limited to, the RCI Exchange Program, special exchanges, nightly point values,reservation windows, the Hilton Honors program, ClubPoint Saving, RCI Depositing, Borrowing, Converting, and ClubPartner Perks that may be offered from time to time, are subject to change, adjustment, suspension or discontinuation without notice. Any such changes will not apply to transactions confirmed prior to the effective date of any such change. In the event the point values for accommodations are adjusted, such adjustments shall not disturb the one-to-one purchaser to accommodation ratio, or a Club Member’s ability to reserve their Home Week.

Some examples of HGVC Program changes in the past
- Changed Home Week Reservation from 15 months before check-in to 12 months
- Changed seasons at some resorts
- Changed from a standard resort point structure to variable resort point structure
- Changed Club Season reservation changed from 9 month before checkin or checkout
- Changed Open Season from Points or Cash to Cash only
- Changed Open Season cash price difference for weekends vs weekdays
- Changed Open Season cash price difference for the various seasons
- Changed Open Season cash prices based on resort

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Changing the Club Reservation Window has been talked about before
HGVC Program News (April 2007) - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/hgvc-program-news.44320/

HGVC can change the rules at anytime.

From the 2017 Club Reference Guide
Program Changes. Club program use options and rules, including but not limited to, the RCI Exchange Program, special exchanges, nightly point values,reservation windows, the Hilton Honors program, ClubPoint Saving, RCI Depositing, Borrowing, Converting, and ClubPartner Perks that may be offered from time to time, are subject to change, adjustment, suspension or discontinuation without notice. Any such changes will not apply to transactions confirmed prior to the effective date of any such change. In the event the point values for accommodations are adjusted, such adjustments shall not disturb the one-to-one purchaser to accommodation ratio, or a Club Member’s ability to reserve their Home Week.

Some examples of HGVC Program changes in the past
- Changed Home Week Reservation from 15 months before check-in to 12 months
- Changed seasons at some resorts
- Changed from a standard resort point structure to variable resort point structure
- Changed Club Season reservation changed from 9 month before checkin or checkout
- Changed Open Season from Points or Cash to Cash only
- Changed Open Season cash price difference for weekends vs weekdays
- Changed Open Season cash price difference for the various seasons
- Changed Open Season cash prices based on resort

Makes the point of buy where and when you want to go. I've been tempted to buy the best point value in the past but ultimately purchase my two Hgvc units where and when I would go if the program didn't work for me.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Makes the point of buy where and when you want to go. I've been tempted to buy the best point value in the past but ultimately purchase my two Hgvc nits where and when I would go if the program didn't work for me.
Me too. sometimes I feel like a sucker because we bought at the Bay Club, but we're 100% fine staying there.

Hopefully they won't change the program to our detriment, but those owners who understand and utilize the current system may be outnumbered by owners who struggle to use their ownership.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Me too. sometimes I feel like a sucker because we bought at the Bay Club, but we're 100% fine staying there.

Hopefully they won't change the program to our detriment, but those owners who understand and utilize the current system may be outnumbered by owners who struggle to use their ownership.
I own Miami beach and an affiliate flex winter Eagles Nest Marco Island. Miami is 3400 points and eagles nest 5000-7000 points, both with higher maintenance fee. Many would say I'm paying too much per point, but I don't look at it that way. I have the location I want and the timeframe I want. A bargain is only good if I can use it. For me, I Never want to take the risk that rules change and let's say I purchased in Vegas and cannot get Miami or Marco island.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Makes the point of buy where and when you want to go. I've been tempted to buy the best point value in the past but ultimately purchase my two Hgvc units where and when I would go if the program didn't work for me.

JMHO...
It really depends. Flexibility is key. If you prefer/need a specific resort, room type, a specific week and/or time of year you may want to consider buying where you want to go (if it's one that is usually in high demand). For example, we know that the Hilton Hawaiian Village (HHV) during the peak summer months (when the majority of kids are out of school) and winter break (XMAS/NYE) always has lots of competition.

But keep in mind, home week has no point flexibility - you have to book the full week in the exact season and unit type you own on the designated check-in day.

Not all HGVC resorts are in high demand. Take a look online at availability for the next six months. If you have flexibility there is still plenty of availability in Orlando, Vegas, Big Island and Miami beach over the next 6 month. However, for example, if you need a two bedroom for a week in Miami Beach then you might be out of luck if you want to go in 2017.

Last edited:

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Perhaps Alexadeparis and others who received the survey can also give some information about their ownership!

I paid $300 for 2 even 4800 bay club units via eBay. As far as HGVC is concerned, I'm a nobody.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't like the 6 month home week reservation window. For those who do, they would also have a shorter timeframe at reserving at other resorts.

It seems we are at the whims of all the brand name timeshares. I've always said and have purchased where I would go.

I agree with you about not liking the 12-6 month home week reservation window particularly your point about those who do like it will ALSO having a shorter timeframe at reserving at other resorts.

Furthermore on that subject of those that like it I have another thought. I have recently heard the song "Turn Turn Turn" which was made by the Byrds back in the 60's. It is based on a quote from the bible. "To everything (turn, turn, turn). There is a season (turn, turn, turn). Being in my 60's now and hearing that song again I have a different perspective about it than I did when I was in my teens. It relates to timeshare usage. For instance those owners may own a single 2 BR unit with a platinum point value of 7000-9600 depending if it is standard, plus or premier in a traditional point value resort. In this season of their lives they love reserving and using their home unit for their family every summer when the kids are young and off from school. However, their kids get older. They get on with their lives without them. In this season of their lives they are retired and can travel anytime and only need a Studio or a 1 BR unit which during silver season which can be reserved for as little as 1100 points. That single 2 BR can reserve 6-8 weeks of vacation. However, they would need to wait until the Club Reservation Window opens up for them to do it.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
However, their kids get older. They get on with their lives without them. In this season of their lives they are retired and can travel anytime and only need a Studio or a 1 BR unit which during silver season which can be reserved for as little as 1100 points. That single 2 BR can reserve 6-8 weeks of vacation. However, they would need to wait until the Club Reservation Window opens up for them to do it.
Great point.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a survey reminder today. I never noticed the first survey. Anyhow, the survey seems to fluctuate based on the answers you give. I did go ahead and ream the sales department, but I also mentioned that I'd likely no longer be an owner in 5 years. My questions went to the one about changing the booking window and to if I'd be a lot happier if I could book stays for less than 3 nights, which would make me very happy.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My questions went to the one about changing the booking window and to if I'd be a lot happier if I could book stays for less than 3 nights, which would make me very happy.

Mixed feelings about the 3N minimum. We don't want resorts turning into hotels for sleepovers.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Marriott allows as few as 1 night, which we've found convenient when they have a resort closer to an airport we're flying out of. Specially Fort Lauddrdale. I've also used it for an extra night in Breckenridge when I changed jobs and needed to go Friday to Friday instead of the Saturday to Saturday exchange we had.

DRI allows 2 night reservations, which was nice when we just wanted a weekend away.

HGVC Clubs 3 night rule isn't a problem for us because only one of their resorts is within driving distance, and that resort is a 10 hour drive, so we really wouldn't want to drive that far for only 1 or 2 nights.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
I'd be fine with 2 nights, in combination with higher weekend rates (Fr/Sa) and and lowering weekday rates to deter people only booking weekends (and conversely encouraging weekday only stays).

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'd be fine with 2 nights, in combination with higher weekend rates (Fr/Sa) and and lowering weekday rates to deter people only booking weekends (and conversely encouraging weekday only stays).
I can understand the 3 night minimum to minimize fragmenting the weeks. But once there is only one or two nights in a row available, there is no way to get the 3 night minimum...it would be nice if they would let us get these rooms.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I can understand the 3 night minimum to minimize fragmenting the weeks. But once there is only one or two nights in a row available, there is no way to get the 3 night minimum...it would be nice if they would let us get these rooms.
HGVC used to allow owners to use points for Open Season, so you could get those left-over 2-night reservations with points at 30 days out. It would be nice to bring back that benefit.

Kurt

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC used to allow owners to use points for Open Season, so you could get those left-over 2-night reservations with points at 30 days out. It would be nice to bring back that benefit.

Kurt
I've never book open season, but i thought I recalled seeing points and $ displayed in the booking tool for availability in open season. Is that only displayed as an option when searching 3 nights or more? Thanks.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I've never book open season, but i thought I recalled seeing points and $ displayed in the booking tool for availability in open season...

That's becuz the club bookings can be made up to 1 day b4 check-in, and thus, it's window overlaps O/S. So, yes, if your stay is 3N or more, you have a choice; but if it's only 2N, only cash works. <IIRC>

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
I took the survey also on Monday and I thought it said something about those questions being confidential. Oh well. Now that the cat is basically out of the bag, I also responded negatively to reducing the club window to 6 months. I did not get a question about hardship insurance. My second question had to do with charging a larger flat club fee per account that would bundle all transaction fees, i.e. Essentially make the transactions unlimited. I told them I thought that for what they charge for their product and service, it should already be that way.

I thought that if you reserve the home week, it is free.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I took the survey also on Monday and I thought it said something about those questions being confidential. Oh well. Now that the cat is basically out of the bag, I also responded negatively to reducing the club window to 6 months. I did not get a question about hardship insurance. My second question had to do with charging a larger flat club fee per account that would bundle all transaction fees, i.e. Essentially make the transactions unlimited. I told them I thought that for what they charge for their product and service, it should already be that way.
While other timeshare systems don't have any fees (e.g. DVC), you are still paying for the customer service in your MFs, which is all they are saying here (including the cost in your MFs vs per transaction). That said, I doubt they do it, since one of the advertised perks of Elite is no reservation fees (for 7 or more nights) and reduced transactions fees (tiered based on level - none for Elite Premier).
I thought that if you reserve the home week, it is free.
Home week is free, but there is a fee for anything else.