• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need advice-which Palm Desert guest unit (studio) to reserve?

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for advice to the biggest lock off unit in Palm desert, any of the 3 Marriotts would be fine. We're going for a couple of nights and don't need anything more than a single room, but we know some resorts have smaller studios. Also I noticed that Shadow Ridge had two point values for studios, so there must be a difference in the lock offs within that resort. What is the difference?

A secondary consideration is that we also like resorts with quiet pools, if any of these resorts have them.

Appreciate all advice.

Thanks.:)
Norma

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
DSV1 has two queen (?) beds in the guest unit. Unless you are at the end of the buildings, the guest unit patio looks over the parking area.
DSV2 and SR have a king bed in the guest unit.
At Shadow Ridge Enclaves (not the villages) some of the newer 2 BR units are considered to be "deluxe" units. I think that means that one side is bigger than the other but both sides have a washer and dryer. I forget if the smaller side is considered an efficiency or a 1 BR for trading purposes.

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
DSV1 studios have a jacuzzi bath tub, if that matters
For a quiet pool, Shadow Ridge has an adults only pool. I loved that when we were there several years ago.
Jeff

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV1 studios have a jacuzzi bath tub, if that matters
For a quiet pool, Shadow Ridge has an adults only pool. I loved that when we were there several years ago.
Jeff

I think that all of the Marriott resorts in Palm Desert have at least one Quiet pool, but in the summer sometimes the definition of "quiet" may be strained. But they never refer to them as "adult pools" because of some goofy Federal requirements not to discriminate according to a person's age.

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
DSV1 has two queen (?) beds in the guest unit. Unless you are at the end of the buildings, the guest unit patio looks over the parking area.
DSV2 and SR have a king bed in the guest unit.
At Shadow Ridge Enclaves (not the villages) some of the newer 2 BR units are considered to be "deluxe" units. I think that means that one side is bigger than the other but both sides have a washer and dryer. I forget if the smaller side is considered an efficiency or a 1 BR for trading purposes.
The guest units at DSV1 do not overlook the parking, I'm not sure why you say this! All units face the golf course or some other view, but definitely not parking (maybe a window does, but not the patio)

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
The guest units at DSV1 do not overlook the parking, I'm not sure why you say this! All units face the golf course or some other view, but definitely not parking (maybe a window does, but not the patio)

I believe the folks standing outside on their patio would say they are looking at the parking lot.
dsv1.jpeg

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The OP was referencing staying in an efficiency. At DSV-1, all of the 1 BR units have a lanai that faces the golf course, etc. But on the efficiency side or units, the ones on the ends have a lanai that overlooks the golf course. But the efficiencies that are in the middle of the building and not on the ends of the buildings have a Lanai that is in the front of the building - - that is, overlooks the parking area. But, yes, they also have windows that face the golf course. It is just the lanai (on the middle efficiency units) that face the parking area.

On the 2BR units, of course, all of the 1 BR portions face the golf course. If the 2 BR units are on the ends, then both lanai's face the golf course. If the 2 BR units are in the middle, then the big side faces the golf course and the efficiency side has the parking lot.

I own at DSV-1 (and 2) and go there at least a couple times a year. Hope this clarifies things.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are staying in a lock off you definitely want Shadow Ridge. Both DSV-I and DSV-II are too small.

LeesOfTheRockies

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast
Marriott Destination Club Points
One thing you might also consider is the soundproofing between units. I've stayed in a 1 BR (not the studio) and a 2 BR at DSV-II and a 2 BR at DSV-1. During my stay in the DSV-II 1 BR, I noticed the soundproofing between my unit and the lock off studio unit left a bit to be desired. We were able to hear much of our neighbors' conversation and activity and felt as if we had to be extra quiet so they would not hear us. After that experience, we've only booked 2 BR units at DSV-II. We found DSV-I to be a better arrangement for occupying the studio or 1 BR unit, since there is a foyer that contains separate entrances to each of the units instead of having a single doorway separating the two. As we occupied both units and had no neighbors, however, we weren't able to fully test out the soundproofing in DSV-I.

Having said that, I feel two minor dings against the DSV-I studio units are the very small shower and the parking lot view my unit had. Noise issues aside, I'd say the DSV-II studios have a better arrangement and a more spacious bathroom.

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for your suggestions. They will be helpful.

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to Marriott's Web site to see floor plans for the 3 Palm Desert locations because I am sending my daughter and her husband to a studio next March. If you go to the individual web sites, a pop up message appears regarding construction work being done (based on this I scheduled my daughter for Shadow Ridge):

FOR THE DESERT SPRINGS VILLAS, I and II:
"Our resort will undergo various phases of construction throughout the year, including villa, pool, street and lobby refurbishments. The Marketplace will also be under construction beginning February 13, 2017 through March 30, 2017. A temporary Marketplace will be available in the main lobby during this time. Guests may expect intermittent noise due to the use of construction machinery for all projects. We thank you for your understanding and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Marriott's Desert Springs Villas is currently undergoing villa renovations that will last through October, 2018. Some noise may be heard during the hours of 8 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.

Please note that there are two popular music festivals that occur during the month of April. The Coachella Music Festival dates are April 14th – 16th and April 21st – 23rd in 2017. The dates for the Stagecoach Music Festival in 2017 are April 28th – 30th. Guests can expect above average traffic in and around the area during the aforementioned dates.

Reminder, use of amenities at the JW Desert Springs Marriott Resort and Spa are subject to seasonal availability and/or blackout dates. Fees may apply, inquire at check-in"

FOR SHADOW RIDGE: There will be work done on the pools but during this time at least one pool will be open:
"Maintenance & Closure Schedule 2017 Please contact our Pre-Arrival team at 760-674-2600 should you have any questions or concerns about your upcoming vacation:
The schedule is subject to change without notice.
1 The Chuckwalla family pool and slide (located in The Villages) will be closed for replastering. Chuckwalla lounge pool and snack bar will remain open. Noise is to be expected during the day and during the demolition phase. Guests may experience dust in the surrounding space due to construction taking place. January 16, 2017 February 17, 2017 Chuckwalla Family Pool and Slide Replaster

2 The Chuckwalla Lounge (located in The Villages) will be closed for replastering. Family pool, slide and snack bar will remain open. Noise is to be expected during the day and during the demolition phase. Guests may experience dust in the surrounding space due to construction taking place. Chuckwalla Lounge Pool Replaster2 February 21, 2017 March 20, 2017

3 Enclaves Pool will be closed for replastering. Buildings 4300, 4400 and 4500 due to noise during the day associated with the demolition phase of the project. Façade painting will also be completed at this time.
Enclaves Pool Area Replaster and Façade Painting3 September 5, 2017 October 2, 2017

4 Buildings 1000-1300 will not be available for occupancy due to refurbishment from May 1-May 26
5 Buildings 1400-1500 will not be available for occupancy due to refurbishment from May 30-June 17
6 Buildings 2200-2500 will not be available for occupancy due to refurbishment from June 14-August 2
7 Buildings 2600-3000 will not be occupied due to Façade Painting and HVAC replacement. Building Façade Painting and HVAC replacement7 June 1, 2017 June 30, 2017

8 MarketPlace closure and remodel, reopening under new management Market Place Conversion and Closure8 January 28, 2017 March 18, 2017

We recommend that owners and guests check back with the resort about maintenance projects prior to their arrival. Schedule and dates are subject to change without notice."