• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maldives..? is there any timeshare who has access to any resort?

elleny76

Reaction score
Looking at this place MALDIVES and it looks amazing. Do we have any resort there RCI? II?

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
Not that I know of, but if you collect Hyatt points, the Park Hyatt Maldives is a reasonable redemption at 25k Hyatt points per night. It does require a pricey connection to Male at just over $500 per person that includes a flight and speedboat to the atoll.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a few RCI resorts, but they didn't look the best, IMO.

Go over to Trip Advisor and go to the Maledives forums for ideas. If you go in summer (May-July) the rates are a lot better/cheaper, IMO. I even found one at an AI for like $380/night for 2 people in an overwater bungalow (was another $360 for speedboat/plane), and the resort was decently rated on TA.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Last time i looked there is a Hilton Conrad hotel with over-water villa's... Pricey, but looks nice.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I stayed at the Conrad Hilton when I went there. I stayed there on an Hilton Honors Points stay. I did not convert my HGVC except for a little bit that I needed to top up what was required for my 10 night stay. I had 90% of the Honors points before hand.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed at the Conrad Hilton when I went there. I stayed there on an Hilton Honors Points stay. I did not convert my HGVC except for a little bit that I needed to top up what was required for my 10 night stay. I had 90% of the Honors points before hand.

How was it?

Looks like in "low season" (May 2018) it's 95k/night for standard room reward for Beach Villa (567k for 7 nights--with 5th night free it's like 81k/night) vs. $7,455 straight out cash (which I think equates to about $0.013/point for a redemption rate which after the mass devaluation is actually pretty good). Although $7500k just for hotel not including food is way beyond my budget. LOL! So if I had half a million points, then I guess it's better than spending that kind of dough. Although last time I checked (a few months ago, if one wanted to stay in July 2017) could get it for $650/night with breakfast (but still the 95k/night points--not counting the 5th night free if using standard awards--which of course, halves the value of point redemption, but that's more in the range of the $0.005/point).

How expensive were the meals/drinks? (since it's on Rengali Island I'm not sure if there's any place "cheap" for eating).

Also, if traveling there (at least from East Coast), remember that it's 2 days travel out (at least when I looked for airfare to MLE) and you usually arrived between 8-10 p.m. so you'd almost have to spend the night at MLE and then go to your resort, as it wouldn't make much sense, IMO to be paying that kind of cash for a day that's "wasted", IMO. I forgot what travel time back was (1 day or 2. I think 2).

Did that include your seaplane and/or speedboat transfer?
I'm guessing at 90km from MLE, you'd have to take seaplane.

IF paying cash, though I think you can do better and get an AI (so meals/drinks included). But that's based strictly on some advertised deals I found a few months ago for May-July of this year. For me, the airfare is the killer.

For the OP:
I don't know what II has for potentials.

It's on my bucket list though. Saving up my frequent flier miles and cash (it'll take me forever to get half a million Hilton points, now that Citi is going bye-bye and Amex has the once in a lifetime on the credit cards for points).

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think that there is a low season, as a Cat 10 property I think it is 95K a night all the time.

With that being said. The resort was fantastic.

You could pay to upgrade to an overwater bungalow, but since my last trip was Bora Bora and I stayed in an overwater I didn't feel the need to do it again. You could even pay for the upgrade even if you got there on a reward.

The entry level beach units are fabulous and HUGE, and are literally just steps from the beach. The have an outdoor open air bathroom, with sinks that are in a covered area but open to the outside. There is an outdoor shower, a bath for 2 (or more actually) in a covered hut, all outside in the 10' high walled in garden. Bedroom, with desk and couch area, and closest are in air conditioning. There is a outdoor fountain between the bedroom and bathroom as well, that is like a courtyard, surrounded on three sides by glass sliding doors. There are also huge sliding glass wall (10' or maybe 12') to your outdoor patio, that is about 20 steps from the water. You have a privacy wall between the two adjacent units so there is good privacy on the patio, but not complete privacy.

They have powered blinds that move into place and shut off the bedroom from both bathroom and patio. Since there are glass sliding doors and glass courtyard doors, You could see all the way from the patio to the bathroom. But with the shutters in place this is all blocked off.

Food is very expensive here. Breakfast I got free at hilton gold member. lunch runs about $60 a person, dinner about $130 plus the cost of any alcohol, and these are Miminum prices. So bring your check book.

I sent solo and went diving most days I was there. I did spa day on arrival day and departure day.

It took two overnights to travel, but I arrived at the resort before Noon on the 3rd day, my room was not ready but I booked a spa treatment for that arrival day, which was great. I flew on Turkish Air - Houston to Istanbul and then Istanbul to Male. Both were overnight flights, with a day off spent in Istanbul. Then you have to catch the water plane to get to the resort. I used Frequently Flyer miles for my flight and went Business Class. It was great only having 2 flights and the small water plane to get there.

On the way home I left the resort on the last flight out around 6 pm (flights only operate in daylight), as I had a midnight flight from Male to Istanbul, then a 1/2 day at AP with a flight later to get back to Houston. Turkish Lounge in Istanbul is fantastic.

High season is earlier in the Year (Chinese new year and Christmas through March). So rates are lower but Honors points are the same. When I went the beach entry level rooms were $2K a night, I went first week in February. Prices are all in US$ and charged to your CC in US$. Flight from Male to Resort Island is about $450 Per person.

Last edited:

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
My spouse and I recently started a travel business, and just in our first few months, we get inquiries from prospective clients about the Maldives and Seychelles. People think that they're the only place to stay in an overwater bungalow and that they're all ridiculously expensive, but still, it's a fantasy for lots of people.

There are lots of overwater bungalows in other places, including increasingly in the Caribbean and Mexico (closer to home, less travel time), and many are all-inclusive, but none of them are timeshare properties, and they're still not exactly cheap (though, definitely cheaper than the Maldives, especially if you consider the expense of traveling to the other side of the globe).

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My spouse and I recently started a travel business, and just in our first few months, we get inquiries from prospective clients about the Maldives and Seychelles. People think that they're the only place to stay in an overwater bungalow and that they're all ridiculously expensive, but still, it's a fantasy for lots of people.

There are lots of overwater bungalows in other places, including increasingly in the Caribbean and Mexico (closer to home, less travel time), and many are all-inclusive, but none of them are timeshare properties, and they're still not exactly cheap (though, definitely cheaper than the Maldives, especially if you consider the expense of traveling to the other side of the globe).

I been a travel agent, amongst other jobs, for almost 20 years. There are a few overwater in the Caribbean now, but not a whole lot yet. Compared to French Poly or Maldives, where they have lots of atolls and protected off shore reefs, there are not many places like that in the caribbean. Sandals recently added some Overwater, as did some other developers in Mexico and one in Panama (Bocas Del Torro). They are a fantasy stay and for many a once in a lifetime stay.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great report @Sandy VDH

I am more of a Starwood person than Hilton (Plat and Diamond respectively) and have enough points in both system for a stay at either place. I was thinking at staying at the St Regis but it seems like the Conrad could work too (need to burn those Hilton pesos). Does anyone have any input regarding staying at the St Regis vs Conrad?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sandy VDH - For your Turkish flights in business, did you redeem partner miles or Turkish?

I have tons of United miles (also Air Canada and Lufthansa) and have seen Turkish flights at the UA saver level, however the leg from Istanbul to Male comes as Economy. I am thinking about calling UA to ask about redeeming the entire flight in business. If that is not possible, I may need to go on BA or AF. I can do BA in F or AF in business because I am top elite with AF and you need that level to redeem in F (that's my understanding).

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sandy VDH - For your Turkish flights in business, did you redeem partner miles or Turkish?

I have tons of United miles (also Air Canada and Lufthansa) and have seen Turkish flights at the UA saver level, however the leg from Istanbul to Male comes as Economy. I am thinking about calling UA to ask about redeeming the entire flight in business. If that is not possible, I may need to go on BA or AF. I can do BA in F or AF in business because I am top elite with AF and you need that level to redeem in F (that's my understanding).

I used United points and had to call, as the flights did not appear online. But only have to make it to Male in 2 flights was a bonus. I do not remember off the top of my head from which cities TA fly to Istanbul.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think that there is a low season, as a Cat 10 property I think it is 95K a night all the time.

With that being said. The resort was fantastic.

You could pay to upgrade to an overwater bungalow, but since my last trip was Bora Bora and I stayed in an overwater I didn't feel the need to do it again. You could even pay for the upgrade even if you got there on a reward.

The entry level beach units are fabulous and HUGE, and are literally just steps from the beach. The have an outdoor open air bathroom, with sinks that are in a covered area but open to the outside. There is an outdoor shower, a bath for 2 (or more actually) in a covered hut, all outside in the 10' high walled in garden. Bedroom, with desk and couch area, and closest are in air conditioning. There is a outdoor fountain between the bedroom and bathroom as well, that is like a courtyard, surrounded on three sides by glass sliding doors. There are also huge sliding glass wall (10' or maybe 12') to your outdoor patio, that is about 20 steps from the water. You have a privacy wall between the two adjacent units so there is good privacy on the patio, but not complete privacy.

They have powered blinds that move into place and shut off the bedroom from both bathroom and patio. Since there are glass sliding doors and glass courtyard doors, You could see all the way from the patio to the bathroom. But with the shutters in place this is all blocked off.

Food is very expensive here. Breakfast I got free at hilton gold member. lunch runs about $60 a person, dinner about $130 plus the cost of any alcohol, and these are Miminum prices. So bring your check book.

I sent solo and went diving most days I was there. I did spa day on arrival day and departure day.

It took two overnights to travel, but I arrived at the resort before Noon on the 3rd day, my room was not ready but I booked a spa treatment for that arrival day, which was great. I flew on Turkish Air - Houston to Istanbul and then Istanbul to Male. Both were overnight flights, with a day off spent in Istanbul. Then you have to catch the water plane to get to the resort. I used Frequently Flyer miles for my flight and went Business Class. It was great only having 2 flights and the small water plane to get there.

On the way home I left the resort on the last flight out around 6 pm (flights only operate in daylight), as I had a midnight flight from Male to Istanbul, then a 1/2 day at AP with a flight later to get back to Houston. Turkish Lounge in Istanbul is fantastic.

High season is earlier in the Year (Chinese new year and Christmas through March). So rates are lower but Honors points are the same. When I went the beach entry level rooms were $2K a night, I went first week in February. Prices are all in US$ and charged to your CC in US$. Flight from Male to Resort Island is about $450 Per person.

Thanks Sandy for the info! Sounds gorgeous. As I said, it's on my bucket list. Trying to make it happen by my 50th (gives me 5 1/2 years to save up--LOL). And I'd have to fly business/first (haha). I'm sure prices and points required for things by then will be a lot higher, but it's a dream. :)

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are whalesharks there year round. That was one of my primary reasons for going. And yes I saw Whale sharks. I got to do a happy dance.

I too went for my 50th too. I went 3 years ago.

I even went solo. I was probably the only single person there. But I didn't care, the divers all talked to me.

I also wanted to get Nitox certified and did that while I was there too, Nitrox is great SCUBA air option if you can get it. I am not nearly as tired using Nitrox as I am using just compressed air.

Last edited:

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used United points and had to call, as the flights did not appear online. But only have to make it to Male in 2 flights was a bonus. I do not remember off the top of my head from which cities TA fly to Istanbul.
Good to know. I'll give that a try when I'm ready to book. Turkish flies from NYC and IAD, both are close to me.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are whalesharks there year round. That was one of my primary reasons for going. And yes I saw Whale sharks. I got to do a happy dance.

I too went for my 50th too. I went 3 years ago.

I even went solo. I was probably the only single person there. But I didn't care, the divers all talked to me.

I also wanted to get Nitox certified and did that while I was there too, Nitrox is great SCUBA air option if you can get it. I am not nearly as tired using Nitrox as I am using just compressed air.
Didn't know about the whale sharks, that sweetens the deal...

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Didn't know about the whale sharks, that sweetens the deal...

https://maldiveswhalesharkresearch.org/

They don't know why, but the year round population in the Maldives is 90% Juvenile males. They are not sure where the females are or where the breeding areas are. The one I saw was named Morgan, at the time he was 27' long and 7 years old. They can uniquely identify the whaleshare by their spot pattern. They catalog and name each whaleshark.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
https://maldiveswhalesharkresearch.org/

They don't know why, but the year round population in the Maldives is 90% Juvenile males. They are not sure where the females are or where the breeding areas are. The one I saw was named Morgan, at the time he was 27' long and 7 years old. They can uniquely identify the whaleshare by their spot pattern. They catalog and name each whaleshark.

I would love to swim with whale sharks, thanks for the link.