• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Miracle on HHI (Not 34th Street)

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
So, we arrived at Barony yesterday. We were already excited as this is the first time we were able to get an II exchange here at this time of year. Usually, we have come for Spring Break or during the holidays. Landing a reservation at the start of the kids summer break from school we thought was a major accomplishment. Sure, we knew we would be on the Garden side, since that is where II exchanges are placed. Imagine our surprise when we checked-in to learn that we had been 'upgraded' to an Ocean Side unit in the just refurbished Live Oak building, top floor, end unit.

Suite ... Sweet!

Yes, Virginia (and other states), there is an MVCI Santa Claus.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Very nice!!! Enjoy your week.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So far, so good. The refurb is very well done (if a bit Property Brothers with their affinity for sliding barn doors). Great color palette with several beachy (and even HHI specific) motifs built in. DD's first comment on entering the unit was "This is the nicest unit we have ever stayed in" (and that's a lot of words strung together for any teenager to say to their parents).

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
So far, so good. The refurb is very well done (if a bit Property Brothers with their affinity for sliding barn doors). Great color palette with several beachy (and even HHI specific) motifs built in. DD's first comment on entering the unit was "This is the nicest unit we have ever stayed in" (and that's a lot of words strung together for any teenager to say to their parents).

I thought Fixer Upper began the barn door movement

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good for you...this is from a public school teacher who knows it is a score during summer break! Enjoy yourself! We trade into July 4th every year as we own there. Can't wait to see the changes. Enjoy!

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought Fixer Upper began the barn door movement
It may have. Clearly, I don't know my barn doors (although they do go well as separation from the master bed to the bath).

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Be happy she didn't text it to you. ;)

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
First, congrats on the upgrade---it happens more than you might think at all the Marriotts. We've been surprised many times.

Barony's villa renovations/refurbishments have been very well received. We experienced it right after they were finished, and I believe I was one of the first, if not the first, to applaud it at the time here on TUG, even including several photos (since it's an old post, the pics have been removed within the post). The new master bath areas were exceptional--- imho, the best among the Big 3 Marriott resorts at HH. The rest of the decor turned out great at Barony, furniture and fixtures included, a really beautiful job.

They used a barn door to separate the master BR and master bath in their renovations. Barn doors fulfill an important purpose while also accomplishing several other good things simultaneously----they close off the two areas needing to be separated, they take little space (nothing needed but 3-5 inches out from wall), they allow the remaining space ("not used" if a traditional door would have been used) to be left for chests, chairs, walking space, etc., they cost very little compared to removing/altering a frame to install pocket doors or a full swinging door, etc., and they avoid messing with or altering the electrical or plumbing stuff that might exist inside that wall.

I don't think Property Bros invented the barn door concept, LOL, but in renovating many of the type properties they do, it always seems to fulfill a need, at low cost, and without busting their budget opening up a wall as mentioned. I don't mind the concept, but it probably won't be around forever, as ALL trends tend to change around every 10 +/- years.

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barony seems a bit more generous than Surfwatch or grande ocean on the upgrades. Maybe there's something about this week, but this time last year we got upgraded from Oceanside to a renovated ocean front room on an II exchange, fully expecting to be in a garden view room.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, please enjoy your upgrade villa and your week on the Island.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
First, congrats on the upgrade---it happens more than you might think at all the Marriotts. We've been surprised many times.

Barony's villa renovations/refurbishments have been very well received. We experienced it right after they were finished, and I believe I was one of the first, if not the first, to applaud it at the time here on TUG, even including several photos (since it's an old post, the pics have been removed within the post). The new master bath areas were exceptional--- imho, the best among the Big 3 Marriott resorts at HH. The rest of the decor turned out great at Barony, furniture and fixtures included, a really beautiful job.

They used a barn door to separate the master BR and master bath in their renovations. Barn doors fulfill an important purpose while also accomplishing several other good things simultaneously----they close off the two areas needing to be separated, they take little space (nothing needed but 3-5 inches out from wall), they allow the remaining space ("not used" if a traditional door would have been used) to be left for chests, chairs, walking space, etc., they cost very little compared to removing/altering a frame to install pocket doors or a full swinging door, etc., and they avoid messing with or altering the electrical or plumbing stuff that might exist inside that wall.

I don't think Property Bros invented the barn door concept, LOL, but in renovating many of the type properties they do, it always seems to fulfill a need, at low cost, and without busting their budget opening up a wall as mentioned. I don't mind the concept, but it probably won't be around forever, as ALL trends tend to change around every 10 +/- years.

I think I remember your post on this.

Last edited:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Barony seems a bit more generous than Surfwatch or grande ocean on the upgrades. Maybe there's something about this week, but this time last year we got upgraded from Oceanside to a renovated ocean front room on an II exchange, fully expecting to be in a garden view room.
This is the first 'upgrade' using an II exchange we have gotten on HHI in the 7 years we have been coming here. That was why I started the thread. I was always led to believe that if you come to HHI on an II exchange, you will get the least desirable 'garden variety' unit wherever you stay. I just wanted to share a light of hope for others after being told repeatedly by Barony resort staff over the years that 'II exchanges are always assigned garden units'. Something better is possible. Now, as to how they determine that ... a shake of my Magic 8 Ball says "Cannot Predict Now". Oh well.

taffy19

Reaction score
Would you be able to show a picture of a barn door? between the bedroom and bathroom, please? I don't know what it is and went on the Marriott VC owner website but they only show two pictures of the living room and kitchen. Can't find anymore. Thanks a lot.

Enjoy your vacation and lovely view. It really is so nice to see the ocean when you get up and when you take a break on your balcony with just coffee or a drink.

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a last minute week at Grande Ocean with check-in yesterday. I didn't get the ocean view I prefer but high floor by lagoon and lap pool. I'm Platinum and Chairman's Club level but didn't ask for anything since I'm just surprised to be here for Memorial Day. They said they had a lot of owners here this week - this island seems crazy busy compared to a previous trip I made in August.I stayed at Surfwatch on last visit and think that resort might be better fit for me.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Would you be able to show a picture of a barn door? between the bedroom and bathroom, please? I don't know what it is and went on the Marriott VC owner website but they only show two pictures of the living room and kitchen. Can't find anymore. Thanks a lot.

You didn't ask me, but I had this photo from our trip last month that shows what you were asking for.

i-PpQXzR2-X3.jpg

Reactions: jme

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Great picture. I usually do not care for barn doors, but those white panel doors with the silver hardware look really nice.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You didn't ask me, but I had this photo from our trip last month that shows what you were asking for.

i-PpQXzR2-X3.jpg
Thanks Jim. I took the same photo yesterday but couldn't get it to upload/post here. Our unit has a reversed floorplan for the MBR/MBA. So, it is flipped from the layout in this photo. However, the furnishings are just as you show them. The map of HHI as the headboard is a nice touch. The 2nd bedroom uses a single sliding barn door to access the 2nd bath.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where I come from... that's not a barn door. :)

I will say that the map headboard would drive me crazy. I love maps and I would often be standing on the bed to get a closer view.

taffy19

Reaction score
Thank you. That looks nice keeping the open spacious view.

I saw sheer curtains posted once here on TUG. What use do they have if someone wants privacy? I believe that it was a HGVC resort.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
All the HHI Marriotts I've been in have had two window treatment layers on all windows and the sliders, a sheer that lets in diffused light and a heavier drape that blocks light plus helps to regulate the indoor temp. At the beachside resorts the balconies don't have exterior lights and during turtle nesting season (which is now) you're required to close the drapes if your lights are on past 10PM.

taffy19

Reaction score
I like the sheers in a downstairs condo when people walk by constantly. Some of the top draperies may be too busy for my taste like at the newly refurbished MOC condos in the older towers. Both were not even open here in the living room and bedroom. I wonder how many people will close them at night if they are staying on a higher floor?

That curtain between the bedroom and bathroom wasn't at a Marriott but I found it a strange arrangement. I had never seen a barn door either but that looks a lot better than a curtain. Have a look at the photos in this link.