• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Curious about Grandview Las Vegas

Reaction score
So I see lots of Grandview weeks being offered for FREE on here. I love Grandview How does that work if I don't want to use it on the "week" that it specifies. Is it very expensive to convert the fixed week into points?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
So I see lots of Grandview weeks being offered for FREE on here. I love Grandview How does that work if I don't want to use it on the "week" that it specifies. Is it very expensive to convert the fixed week into points?

Yes it is. When I called a couple of months ago to ask how much it would cost to convert a fixed week to points, I was told $5k.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Oh Wow. Thank You

I've read on other people's posts that at their resorts they only wanted $2500. I'm guessing that it costs about the same as making a new purchase from the developer. RCI told me that all a resort has to do is call them to have the fixed week switched to points and there isn't even any fee to do it. I guess it is just another way for sales to make sell/make money.

You can trade fixed weeks and get TPU's, trading power units, but you don't have access to nearly as much inventory as you do with points. And I found out from OP that a lot of the benefits of the RCI platinum program only apply to points owners.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
With Grandview, at least for now, you can get darn near any week as an RCI Last Call for under $300. Why own?

franks01

TUG Member
Reaction score
With Grandview, at least for now, you can get darn near any week as an RCI Last Call for under $300. Why own?

The most economical way to timeshare I've found is to get a free triennial Grandview (about $187 mf/year). Once you have an RCI account you can give away the timeshare but keep your RCI account and just do RCI Last Calls and Extra Vacations. Selection is a little limited but it's cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Once you have an RCI account you can give away the timeshare but keep your RCI account and just do RCI Last Calls and Extra Vacations. Selection is a little limited but it's cheap.
And no hassles with getting rid of it when you quit timeshare traveling. Much to be said for this approach.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've owned a 122,000 point contract for several years. When I figure out the cost per point for a top-end timeshare I'm flabbergasted.
My cost per point is $765.00/122,000 points =$.006 per point for which I am very grateful!

travlinman561

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Jockey Club
I think one can question whether the RCI points trading system is rigged when a 1BR unit in a timeshare in a non-prime location (7 miles from the Strip) in an average season, that RCI advertises hundreds of dirt cheap rentals and trades for, can garner 61,000 points.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've owned a 122,000 point contract for several years. When I figure out the cost per point for a top-end timeshare I'm flabbergasted.
My cost per point is $765.00/122,000 points =$.006 per point for which I am very grateful!

Bransons' Nantucket get you 85000 RCI points for $500. That's even better than Grandview. Also, there's a few others oversea resorts that are even better value, usually in the Canary Islands and in South Africa, but with those resorts you'd expose yourself to currency fluctuation.

mrtimeshare

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm interested in getting into timeshares. I figure the Grandview is a good one to start.

Please let me know if I'm missing something on this list to take into account:
  • Make sure the ebay/sale listing shows the annual points
  • Check who is covering the fees: buyer or seller for maintenance fee, settlement, transfer, setup fee
  • Points available and next availability
  • Check if annual, biannual, triannual
As a new person starting, what should I get RCI point wise that would make sense to transfer to another timeshare? How many points needed for a week in a different location? I'm thinking a week in Orlando, FL next but I do want to keep my base in Las Vegas, NV since it would be the place I visit most often. Also, Do I need to stay one week or can I split to two weekends?

Thank you!

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
I won't disagree; and believe the owner of Grandview (and Vacation Village resorts) has a strong relationship with RCI. But couldn't the same be said about point values for non-rated resorts in the Orlando area with less than ideal locations that garner ~50k points for a 1BR (like Festiva, not that I'm trying to pick on them). At least Grandview is rated as Gold Crown.

I will say that RCI does not treat Grandview weeks owners quite as well as points owners.

I think one can question whether the RCI points trading system is rigged when a 1BR unit in a timeshare in a non-prime location (7 miles from the Strip) in an average season, that RCI advertises hundreds of dirt cheap rentals and trades for, can garner 61,000 points.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Hi all, I'm interested in getting into timeshares. I figure the Grandview is a good one to start.

Please let me know if I'm missing something on this list to take into account:
  • Make sure the ebay/sale listing shows the annual points
  • Check who is covering the fees: buyer or seller for maintenance fee, settlement, transfer, setup fee
  • Points available and next availability
  • Check if annual, biannual, triannual
As a new person starting, what should I get RCI point wise that would make sense to transfer to another timeshare? How many points needed for a week in a different location? I'm thinking a week in Orlando, FL next but I do want to keep my base in Las Vegas, NV since it would be the place I visit most often. Also, Do I need to stay one week or can I split to two weekends?

Thank you!

I've seen some 49,000 point annual ($380 annual maintenance fees) or biennial ($191 annual maintenance fees) weeks that people are giving away, sometimes even paying the transfer fee and deed prep. That would be where I suggest that you start. If get one of those deeds and you decide you want more points you can always look for another listing to buy or take over but in the meantime if you need more points you can rent them or you can borrow points from your next use year.

You can book less than full week stays at some but not all resorts with RCI but they primarily have full week stays starting Friday, Saturday or Sunday and that varies from resort to resort. When you see a reservation on RCI it is what it is, you cannot change the check in date. As a Vacation Village owner you are able to book nights directly through your resort at a decent price if you wanted just a weekend stay.

We are currently staying for 2 weeks at Vacation Village at Parkway in Orlando with our 5 year old granddaughter. She particularly enjoys the activities here and her favorites are the free sno-cones, free face painting, games at the pool, movie nights by the pool with $1 bags of freshly popped popcorn. I booked both weeks as sale weeks with no points used. The location is excellent, close to restaurants, a Publix grocery store, Walmart, etc. The Disney parks aren't that far either but the resort has a free shuttle too. We've also booked weeks at Wyndham Star Island with those sale weeks. Star Island is maybe 2 miles down the road from VV at Pkwy.

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen some 49,000 point annual ($380 annual maintenance fees) or biennial ($191 annual maintenance fees) weeks that people are giving away, sometimes even paying the transfer fee and deed prep. That would be where I suggest that you start. If get one of those deeds and you decide you want more points you can always look for another listing to buy or take over but in the meantime if you need more points you can rent them or you can borrow points from your next use year.

You can book less than full week stays at some but not all resorts with RCI but they primarily have full week stays starting Friday, Saturday or Sunday and that varies from resort to resort. When you see a reservation on RCI it is what it is, you cannot change the check in date. As a Vacation Village owner you are able to book nights directly through your resort at a decent price if you wanted just a weekend stay.

We are currently staying for 2 weeks at Vacation Village at Parkway in Orlando with our 5 year old granddaughter. She particularly enjoys the activities here and her favorites are the free sno-cones, free face painting, games at the pool, movie nights by the pool with $1 bags of freshly popped popcorn. I booked both weeks as sale weeks with no points used. The location is excellent, close to restaurants, a Publix grocery store, Walmart, etc. The Disney parks aren't that far either but the resort has a free shuttle too. We've also booked weeks at Wyndham Star Island with those sale weeks. Star Island is maybe 2 miles down the road from VV at Pkwy.

I never thought of using my free VV weeks at Vacation Village at Parkway. I'm glad to hear it's a nice resort. I, truthfully, have never used my free weeks. I thought that RCI Platinum Extra Vacations have always been better. I learned something today! Thank you.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow that looks like so much fun! Thanks for the screenshot of their activity schedule! I'm sure my grandkids will love it!

hpbinla

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts, Grandview at Las Vegas

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! You did all right on the price too even with the closing costs added in. Most 122,000 point listings go for $3000-$3600 plus closing costs.

Maybe not so much anymore. I picked up a 122.000 points this month at $1850, all costs included. Maybe the prices are coming down.

hpbinla

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts, Grandview at Las Vegas
Maybe not so much anymore. I picked up a 122.000 points this month at $1850, all costs included. Maybe the prices are coming down.
That's pretty great! Where did you find that deal?

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Maybe this she should be a new thread... But considering Wyndham and WorldMark always hype the developer point benefit being the RCI Points account you will get because you get access to nightly stays. I always bark back after housekeeping fee, taxes, exchange fee less than 3 days just doesn't make sense.

So my question to you all is using the RCI Points system can some of you explain what you can realistically expect to get with 122k RCI Points. Looking at the point chart for entire weeks it seems like you can get several weeks for that many points in a 1 bedroom. Just seems on 1 Grandview RCI Points contract for 122K points can garner many weeks accommodations in a 1 bedroom for $765 in MF's

Can some of you post examples of some of your trades you have got on an RCI Points account and points used?