• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ko Olina

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Check your pm. I'm here in kona tower on the 5th floor.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We stayed at Kolina last June for 3 nights. We rented from another Tug Member, we had a beautiful spot. We were not inside very much so the view didn't matter, it was a lock out but was the two of us so not difficult to manage. We went to the restaurant on site when we arrived. The service and food were ok, nothing outstanding. Kolina is such a popular resort, we would stay again if we were to return to Hawaii.
Silentg

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Just reserved a 2BR Oceanview for 3/31/18 to 4/7/18. This will be our first Hawaiian trip with MVCI. I appreciated the Naia building recommendation. Will file that away until building requests are offered. What is the difference between an oceanview penthouse versus regular oceanview unit? Is the penthouse unit larger, have a different floor plan, or is it just on a higher floor? Also, as MVCI owners from another property who will be staying on a DC points reservation, does anyone know where we fit in the room assignments pecking order? I assume 2nd priority just behind Ko'Olina owners using their weeks?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Just reserved a 2BR Oceanview for 3/31/18 to 4/7/18. This will be our first Hawaiian trip with MVCI. I appreciated the Naia building recommendation. Will file that away until building requests are offered. What is the difference between an oceanview penthouse versus regular oceanview unit? Is the penthouse unit larger, have a different floor plan, or is it just on a higher floor? Also, as MVCI owners from another property who will be staying on a DC points reservation, does anyone know where we fit in the room assignments pecking order? I assume 2nd priority just behind Ko'Olina owners using their weeks?
Did you use points? If so, chances are good you reserved a 2BR non-lockoff and therefore your Naia request should be granted (the only non-lockoffs are in that building).

You can ask the VOA if your room type is a kickoff or non.

Good luck, I hope that helps!

Best,

Greg

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you use points? If so, chances are good you reserved a 2BR non-lockoff and therefore your Naia request should be granted (the only non-lockoffs are in that building).

You can ask the VOA if your room type is a kickoff or non.

Good luck, I hope that helps!

Best,

Greg
Hi Greg,

Yes. We used some of our 2018 DC points for this reservation. We requested a high floor in our reservation preference. What do you think that may really translate into?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Penthouse units just have vaulted ceilings but are the same floor plan and size as standard rooms. Penthouse means that there is noone above you but does not mean the highest floor in the building. If you look at pics of the resort you can see that the end rooms are "stepped".

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Penthouse units just have vaulted ceilings but are the same floor plan and size as standard rooms. Penthouse means that there is noone above you but does not mean the highest floor in the building. If you look at pics of the resort you can see that the end rooms are "stepped".

Got it. Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Hi Greg,

Yes. We used some of our 2018 DC points for this reservation. We requested a high floor in our reservation preference. What do you think that may really translate into?

If this is a points-based reservation (irrespective of the Points Usage Year) then you may wish to call the VOA and find out if you have a 2BR lock-off or a 2BR non-lockoff. I think the odds are that it is not a lockoff (since that's primarily what is in the Trust) and therefore you have an excellent chance of getting a non-lockoff (which is in Naia).

I am in the opposite situation -- I've reserved a 2BR non-lockoff (which is in Naia) but I'm trying to talk room reservations into putting me into Kona/Moana, because I want the Sun Room that is only in those buildings.

I would ask the question of the VOA, and that will be instructive of your odds to be in Naia.

Best,

Greg

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If this is a points-based reservation (irrespective of the Points Usage Year) then you may wish to call the VOA and find out if you have a 2BR lock-off or a 2BR non-lockoff. I think the odds are that it is not a lockoff (since that's primarily what is in the Trust) and therefore you have an excellent chance of getting a non-lockoff (which is in Naia).

I am in the opposite situation -- I've reserved a 2BR non-lockoff (which is in Naia) but I'm trying to talk room reservations into putting me into Kona/Moana, because I want the Sun Room that is only in those buildings.

I would ask the question of the VOA, and that will be instructive of your odds to be in Naia.

Best,

Greg

A sunroom sounds great. The individual units have sunrooms or there is a communal sunroom on those buildings? I wish I could see actual floorplans but there is only a 'typical 2 BR' floorplan shown on the MVCI webpage for Ko'Olina. Do you know of any other floorplans?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A sunroom sounds great. The individual units have sunrooms or there is a communal sunroom on those buildings? I wish I could see actual floorplans but there is only a 'typical 2 BR' floorplan shown on the MVCI webpage for Ko'Olina. Do you know of any other floorplans?

Personally, I do not have a floorplan, but the sunroom is great, especially for a 12 year old boy who can sleep on a rollaway. It is a great feature of Kona/Moana towers, and converts a 2BR into a "3BR-lite". If I can find a floor plan I will post it!

Best,

Greg

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Personally, I do not have a floorplan, but the sunroom is great, especially for a 12 year old boy who can sleep on a rollaway. It is a great feature of Kona/Moana towers, and converts a 2BR into a "3BR-lite". If I can find a floor plan I will post it!

Best,

Greg

That would be great. Would love to see it. Thanks.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Best,

Greg

We just got an email confirmation. It says we are in a unit type THMV - 2BR/2BA Master Suite Ocean View. Not sure if there is a balcony or sunroom from the floorplan image provided.

THMV.jpg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, that has the sun room in the upper right. We really like this configuration. Have fun!

Best,

Greg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interestingly, this is the Master Suite of a 3BR unit. I don't know if that is good or bad (floor-wise) but you will by the elevator!!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What's good is that the living room is a lot bigger. The second bedroom is smaller as they used the room in the studio for the living room.
You will be in moana building, as i believe the 3br units in naia are dedicated 3br configurations only.

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
We are in a 3BR in Naia now and the studio is a lockoff.

Eli Mairs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, that has the sun room in the upper right. We really like this configuration. Have fun!

Best,

Greg

We have that "sun room" as you call it in our two bedroom lock off unit in Moana building right now. It has a computer desk and can be closed off from the master bedroom, so I guess it can be used as an extra sleeping area.
Do not all two bedrooms have this configuration?

taffy19

Reaction score
Is your view good too? I hope so since you enjoy spending time on your Lanai.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are in a 3BR in Naia now and the studio is a lockoff.
Thanks for the info. Want to have a small meet up with elimars and me? She is also here at the resort.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have that "sun room" as you call it in our two bedroom lock off unit in Moana building right now. It has a computer desk and can be closed off from the master bedroom, so I guess it can be used as an extra sleeping area.
Do not all two bedrooms have this configuration?
Only Hale Kona and Hale Moana have the sun room. We had a rollaway put it in last year and my son loved it. This year, we have a points reservation for a 2BR non-lockoff, which is only in Hale Naia, and I'm asking room assignments to put us into Kona or Moana. We will see what they do.

Best,

Greg

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Won't the studio always be a lock off? No dedicated studios at KoOlina.

Good catch. Yes, all studios are lockoff's. And, I believe all the 3BR's here at Ko Olina have the lockoff feature for the studio. I'm going to confirm that tomorrow when I checkout.

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
View attachment 3632 Update:

We will apparently get a penthouse ocean view unit.
However, as someone posted, it will probably be sixth floor of Kona building. There seems to be only one such unit, and it faces this building and parking lot rather than the ocean. Will keep you posted

Which building did you end up in?

Eli Mairs

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMG_0924.JPG
Which building did you end up in?
We are in Kona building, eighth floor penthouse, corner unit.
We were originally assigned top floor in Moana, but had our eye on this unit all week, as it is on the corner, a little lower, so we would still have a nice view but would be able to see what is going on below. They let us have it, as it was available, even though it is a handicap unit, which was fine with us. Wesley, on the front desk, was very accommodating.
This unit has an extra balcony off the master bedroom, with a mountain view.
Don't know about others' experience, but Marriott honoured the I.I. exchange codes, much to our surprise, as we were expecting low floor parking lot views for both weeks.