• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Sea Gardens refusing to honor Ocean Palms reservations for guests

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have guests checking in at Wyndham Sea Gardens that are booked into the Ocean Palms building, you'll want to call a few days prior to arrival to INSIST that they are assigned a unit in the Ocean Palms building.

I'm not sure what has changed with management or the front desk staff there, but I've had several instances over the last three weeks where the resort simply refuses to honor the building assignment. One front desk clerk admitted there were no maintenance issues which are causing the moves, and stated that she was told to give the Ocean Palms building to Club Owners and to assign guests to either Cabanas or Waterfalls. I've been able to get point refunds from corporate for the differences, but still no answer as to why this is happening. I've spoken with various "supervisors" at the resort, but none provide much help. Ditto with leaving messages for management.

I have spoken with two other owners who report the exact same issue and lack of response from the resort management. If this was limited to a week, I'd chalk it up to poor training and communication. However- when this behavior extends over three weeks- it would appear to be intentional.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
I thought it was general policy at many resorts to give the better rooms (or at least newly remodeled) to actual owners over guests/exchangers.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I thought it was general policy at many resorts to give the better rooms (or at least newly remodeled) to actual owners over guests/exchangers.

There is a points difference between sections here, so a unit in Ocean Palms costs more points than one in the other sections. I could see if they were giving ocean view or upper floor rooms to owners, but not just completely changing the booking to a different tier. That would be like giving your guest a studio instead of the one bedroom that was booked, and saying that they both sleep four.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
That is completely unacceptable. There are two separate point charts for this resort, Ocean Palms has its own and all of the other buildings, Ocean View, Waterfalls, Cabana and Key West are together on their own point chart. When you are making a reservation it specifies Ocean Palms when you book it. When you book through RCI Ocean Palms and Sea Gardens are treated as separate resorts

We've noticed at some resorts that it seems like the front desk staff is running things. The quality of the managers at the Wyndham managed resorts has certainly declined in the last few years.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
The resort is actually listed in RCI as two separate IDs, one for the Ocean Palms building and one for the rest. I have really good friends of mine where I booked OP through Wyndham and they are checking in in a week and a half. I will raise all stink if they do not get there 2 BR Ocean palms unit that I booked.

As a VIP owner, you can put on a Do NOT Move. Any idea if they are honoring that at all, or ignoring it too.

Assuming that when you get a booking with a VIP discount or upgrade, that information is NOT presented to the resort. It shouldn't matter how you booked it but that you did. Wondering if some power tripping GM is making their own decisions.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Annoying and frustrating but not surprised. Has Palm Aire been doing similar for years? How does royal vista treat 2 bedroom and 2 bedroom deluxe reservations?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
The resort is actually listed in RCI as two separate IDs, one for the Ocean Palms building and one for the rest. I have really good friends of mine where I booked OP through Wyndham and they are checking in in a week and a half. I will raise all stink if they do not get there 2 BR Ocean palms unit that I booked.

As a VIP owner, you can put on a Do NOT Move. Any idea if they are honoring that at all, or ignoring it too.

Assuming that when you get a booking with a VIP discount or upgrade, that information is NOT presented to the resort. It shouldn't matter how you booked it but that you did. Wondering if some power tripping GM is making their own decisions.

We live about 15-20 minutes depending on traffic from the Sea Gardens resort. We loved staying at the resort before moving to Florida and on the rare years I have just a few points left at the end of our use year I have used them to book a few nights at Sea Gardens. My version of a staycation. I'm sorry to say that they have a long history of messing with reservations. They try to blame it on the many fixed week owners but we've found that it is more likely to be front desk staff that don't know what they are doing, lack of supervision and the high turnover in managers there.

When we have friends and family staying there I always leave the reservation in our name and check in for them as this particular resort is very unlikely to honor a do not move request if there is a guest on the reservation. I strongly recommend you call and ask a VC to call the resort directly to request that your friends be kept in Ocean Palms. If you have a specific unit reserved even a call from a VC may not help but at least you should get in that building.

Call the resort yourself now, call again a few days beforehand and call the day of check in the morning well before arrival time. I know it sounds ridiculous but that is the best way to insure your friends at least get into the Ocean Palms building and maybe even get the unit you booked. I'm guessing that you already added your friends as guests on the reservation. When you call the first time speak to the manager if possible and lead them to believe that you only added the guest because they will be arriving ahead of you.

In the future what I would suggest you do is leave the reservation in your name and have a do not move request put on it. Especially if you have a specific unit booked and it is a good one, like one of the units in the front of the Ocean Palms building above the 4th floor. Follow my three calls routine, speaking to the manager if possible on the first or second call. Make sure they know you have a do not move request on your reservation and that you expect to be in that unit. When your guests are within a few minutes of arriving have them contact you and you call the call center. If you are out of free guest certificates then go online and add the guest yourself before calling. Have the VC call the resort to notify them that you just a few minutes ago added their names to the reservation so they can check in without you. Let them believe that your arrival is delayed but you most definitely want to be in the unit you had reserved.

Even if the reservation is for yourself I still recommend you follow my three phone call routine for Sea Gardens.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Jan, that is good information, but really ridiculous for this resort to be so cavalier with room assignments, and moving people in areas of the resort that they are NOT booked into.

The only reason I booked this resort was because I got an ocean palms building.

I have a 2 BR booked, so it is easy to give the story that I will be arriving later, and I will inform my friends of that situation as well.

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jan, that is good information, but really ridiculous for this resort to be so cavalier with room assignments, and moving people in areas of the resort that they are NOT booked into.

The only reason I booked this resort was because I got an ocean palms building.

I have a 2 BR booked, so it is easy to give the story that I will be arriving later, and I will inform my friends of that situation as well.

This resort does not honor "DO NOT MOVE". Last summer we had a family reunion with 4 units booked on the ocean side. At the time I booked I was able to get an end unit which looked over the ocean and the others on the same floor. Called several times to make sure the "do not move" was going to be honored. Well, it was not I had to move to a different floor than the rest of our group in a room further back . They lied and said someone else was occupying the unit. . It stayed empty for days...someone checked in 4th of July for one night..

This is what started our battle with Wyndham.. Since we were unhappy they barred us from the "update", even though they had made the reservation for us to go. Shut the door and would not let us in . One of the employees said this happens all the time and to stand our ground to get our gift. Fortunately , the salesman who we purchased from was there and he tried to rectify the problem. Still didn't get our unit but did get our gift. Since then they do not ask us for updates..

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should a fixed week owner that is staying at the resort an extra week using points be kept in the same unit? Even if that bumps someone else? When the points are different I would say no but if the points are the same I would think that out weighs any do not move request.

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should a fixed week owner that is staying at the resort an extra week using points be kept in the same unit? Even if that bumps someone else? When the points are different I would say no but if the points are the same I would think that out weighs any do not move request.

I would agree, knowing there are many fixed week owners . As I have said the unit was only occupied for 1 night.. Only know this is because the rest of our party watched them move in and out.. They were locals..

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
No one other than the owner or their guests should ever be in a unit during fixed week. If the owner chooses to let it sit empty Sea Gardens, or any other resort with fixed weeks for that matter, still has no business ever putting anyone in the owners unit during their week. Sea Gardens is notorious for screwing this up and as there are still a decent number of fixed week owners at this resort there is really no excuse for this.

Sorry but I would never count on being kept in the same unit for a second week at Sea Gardens. You might luck out but I would never count on it. Many people reserve specific units 10 months or more out. If someone has reserved a specific unit and has a do not move request on it, that should always take precedence.

Six years ago my husband started a new job down here in Florida and he lived out of Palm-Aire and Sea Gardens, Ocean Palms, for 4 months and 1 week, December through the first week of April, while we were house hunting and waiting for the closing on the house we bought. Most of the time was spent at Palm-Aire and they kept him in the same unit the entire time each time he stayed there. Twice during that time he moved to Sea Gardens for a couple weeks.

The one time I was there that he was staying at Sea Gardens was when we found our place, were putting in a bid and meeting with the homeowners association to be approved. I had a limited amount of time before I had to fly home and be back to work. Almost every minute my husband wasn't working we were running around taking care of things. Sea Gardens moved us 3 times in 24 hours! You have no idea how much stuff and food we had to move. My husband had taken a full car load of stuff thinking he might be living in an apartment for a few months but I managed to keep him in the two timeshare locations for the entire time. Anyhow, they called us on Friday morning and said they could put us in our new unit if we were willing to move a day early and it would help them out. Okay, fine. I told them we could move at mid afternoon when my husband would be back from working as there was far too much stuff, some of it heavy, for me to move by myself. He had cleared his schedule so we could get various things done that afternoon as I had to leave on Sunday. Then that evening after we got back late from running around and dinner they called to say we had to move again. They probably put us in a fixed week owners unit. So move number two completed after midnight. Saturday morning they called again a little before 8am, waking us up, to say we had to move again. We were exhausted and I hung up on them after telling them no way we were moving a third time. Within minutes they showed up at our door to insist we move immediately. We hadn't even had a chance to get dressed yet. We were beyond livid and not shy about making it known.

We got our points for the week refunded by the resort manager without even having to go through owner care. After that my husband asked that I not book anymore time at Sea Gardens for him and I was able to keep him at Palm-Aire for the remaining 6 weeks. The staff at Palm-Aire was wonderful to him and he has fond memories of his extended stays there.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sea Gardens is a LARGE resort with 5 different HOAs. Other than Ocean Palms and Key West buildings ... Waterfalls, Cabanas and Oceanview were built as motels and converted to timeshare units..... way before Wyndham became manager/operator. And these buildings were ALL sold as FIXED DEEDED WEEK intervals.

What is the problem? IMHO, inexperienced management on site. How does any timeshare professional resort manager ... in a chain as LARGE as Wyndham ... not have a BIG section in their reference material, in training classes, and for customer service ... handling the several forms of TS Ownership. CWP Points, CWP Access and fixed deeds (including float weeks, converted fixed weeks, fixed weeks).

And it has gotten INSANELY worst, since Wyndham started their Universal Front Desk agent & management. All it has become, IMHO ... is another form of reward for attending an Owner's Update and even to a guest buying from Wyndham during their stay.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another concern is ... Wyndham Santa Barbara. This, too, is deed property and recorded as FIXED WEEK & FIXED UNIT intervals. I as a Fixed Week owner at Santa Barbara have gotten in past years, a very few calls from the Front Desk manager .. asking if I would be WILLING to take a different unit on an upcoming stay. I listen and may/may not agree ... but it is in advance. And I (or my guest) MAY be willing .. but to arrive and have a guest CALL ME... upset, that they are on Floor 3 with the balcony sucking in car fumes from the parking garage .. or enjoying the rattle of the dumpster being empty along with it smell filling their unit? All because .. someone paid Wyndham $35-75K last week or yesterday and can still rescind their contract?

And Santa Barbara Resort is ONLY 1 mile further south on A1A (Ocean Drive) from Wyndham Sea Gardens.

Wyndham Royal Vista is an all points reservation resort. And that ocean side (nicknamed the VIP) building (see my avatar picture) has the same number of points as all the 2/2 units facing the street and every wheres else in the resort (except for a couple of (2/2 and 1/2) units over the parking garage car ramp).

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
If someone is in your unconverted fixed week unit without your permission, they're trespassing.

Threatening to call the police might be a lesson the front desk won't forget. :)

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was a fixed week owner here of 2 units, now both are converted. I used to own a converted week at Santa Barbara as well, but used it as an equity trade to get out of the special assessment from Hurricane Wilma and get into VIP platinum.

I did have a discussion with Chad, who said he is the new GM, he was previously at Royal Vista. Now I do not know how long ago NEW is, but whatever. I spoke to him today, and it is clear that they have the policy that owners coming in get better units than guests or exchangers.

I pointed out to him that there is a point different between Ocean Palm 2 BRs and the Key West, Cabana, or Waterfalls 2 BR units. Apparently he was not aware of this, or at least claimed he did not know. I did point out that RCI has two resort numbers for the OP and the rest of the resort. He said that all ocean palms bookings come coded as OP.

So as a VIP platinum owner, I expect to get the unit type I am booked into. I can give some leeway on actual unit number, but if I put DO NOT MOVE orders on my unit, as a VIP platinum owner, I expect to get that. So I would expect a Ocean Palms booking to be put in a ocean palms unit, but you are right, guests beware.

I have advised my very good and old friends (We have been friends since the second grade, and her husband is a college buddy of mine), who are checking in two days earlier, to be insistent. I also call and spoke to Chad who said he would take care of it.

So in 11 days it remains to be seen.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was a fixed week owner here of 2 units, now both are converted. I used to own a converted week at Santa Barbara as well, but used it as an equity trade to get out of the special assessment from Hurricane Wilma and get into VIP platinum.

I did have a discussion with Chad, who said he is the new GM, he was previously at Royal Vista. Now I do not know how long ago NEW is, but whatever. I spoke to him today, and it is clear that they have the policy that owners coming in get better units than guests or exchangers.

I pointed out to him that there is a point different between Ocean Palm 2 BRs and the Key West, Cabana, or Waterfalls 2 BR units. Apparently he was not aware of this, or at least claimed he did not know. I did point out that RCI has two resort numbers for the OP and the rest of the resort. He said that all ocean palms bookings come coded as OP.

So as a VIP platinum owner, I expect to get the unit type I am booked into. I can give some leeway on actual unit number, but if I put DO NOT MOVE orders on my unit, as a VIP platinum owner, I expect to get that. So I would expect a Ocean Palms booking to be put in a ocean palms unit, but you are right, guests beware.

I have advised my very good and old friends (We have been friends since the second grade, and her husband is a college buddy of mine), who are checking in two days earlier, to be insistent. I also call and spoke to Chad who said he would take care of it.

So in 11 days it remains to be seen.

Do not moves are not guaranteed to be honored. But one should be kept in the unit type they booked.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do not moves are not guaranteed to be honored. But one should be kept in the unit type they booked.

Yes I am aware of that, but I also called and will call again, to be sure.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Apparently he was not aware of this, or at least claimed he did not know...."

Claimed would seem to be the key point of this sentence.. The point refunds that have been given by Owner Care had to be "requested" by the Sea Gardens front desk staff. Of course, most savvy timeshare consumers have come to expect a certain level of dishonesty when dealing with the timeshare industry, so unfortunately- I don't find that statement to be too surprising.

A bit ironic that just two days ago Wyndham Worldwide released the following headline:
Wyndham Worldwide Earns World’s Most Ethical Company Distinction

http://www.wyndhamworldwide.com/new...arns-world’s-most-ethical-company-distinction

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
An example of a recent review for this property which claims the resort manager said "...all guests were now required to attend a sales promo...".

"A wonderful property with its location, beautiful plantings, numerous pools and a very spacious 2 bedroom condo. I would recommend the property from a facilities/grounds standpoint but would never return due to the horrible behavior from the front desk. The check in was a nightmare after a full two day travel from Va. Check in was 4 PM however upon our arrival we were asked to wait for an hour only to be told our condo was not ready. From there we were put in front of a very green and rookie sales associate who attempted to brow beat us into a time share sales pitch while we waited. After she rolled her eyes numerous times towards my tired wife I insisted on speaking to a manager who miraculously found us a ready condo. At one point the manager asked why I did not know that all guests were now required to attend a sales promo."

perigo449

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember now that they have combine the check-in and sales person into one job. They now have complete control of you for getting your room, room location, etc. depending if you doing a sales promo. I just got back from a few weeks in south Florida and talked with a few folks that got a better room location by using it for a bargaining chip for going on a promo.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must have spoke to "CHAD" ... the new front desk manager... near the end of January, 2017. He speaks like he is the king of the Sea Gardens Resort ... he makes the rules and rewards the good peasants who BUY MORE POINTS at the Sales Presentation. His rewards are the best units in the resort ... with no regard to WHO has that unit reserved or who actually might own that FIXED WEEK. He is totally full of himself and being the Front Desk manager ... and his serfs will only follow his commands and laws. I did report about him ... in another thread ... and I am using the name given in a prior post in this thread.

Saying he is from Royal Vista does explain part of his thoughts ... Royal Vista is all points and best 2/2 beach units cost the same points as most other 2/2 units in the resort ... my avatar is from the balcony of a BEST 2/2 unit and is full length of both bedroom and the living room. It is literally just above the dune with NOTHING but beach sand to the water's edge (this building is also nicknamed "the VIP building"). And I would BET several staff members have lost jobs by putting another into one of these units ... guests who KNOW someone bigger or who documented their VIP level, a "DO NOT MOVE" reservation tag and found the unit occupied by a "good tipper".

I actually had a local owner who screamed at me outside my unit's door one stay... demanding to KNOW how I got HER unit. I had the Southeast 1bdr corner unit on a high floor RV main building (7th flr, I believe) and she had the Northeast corner next to me. Technically, I had a tad more sun ... for which she screamed ... "That was her unit!" And who did I know who took it away from her? And she was a local and a Platinum owner. Dang, I did not tell her .. but I was a GOLD owner who owned a LOT (over 2.5MM) Royal Vista (resale) points ... I was always very nice to the Front Desk staff and I asked before coming down for a nice view.

And in speaking to "Chad" ... he definitely expressed direct buyers should be the best units. And I don't think he stated "owners of points deeded to the resort". And new buyers will be upgraded for the rest of their resort stay .. to a far better unit.

He is an idiot ... I book using ARP, request a unit as I am a GOLD VIP (and put a DNM) and at check in, get assigned to a lesser unit than I booked for less points? Heads should roll. Or to expect my Fixed Deeded unit .... and find a new buyer of MORE points in my ownership .... I have several years before threaten a Resort Manager with the police for doing that .... "Chad" is just another new face in the parade.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember now that they have combine the check-in and sales person into one job. They now have complete control of you for getting your room, room location, etc. depending if you doing a sales promo. I just got back from a few weeks in south Florida and talked with a few folks that got a better room location by using it for a bargaining chip for going on a promo.

Which resort did this happen at? Royal Vista, Santa Barbara, Sea Gardens or Palm Aire?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I was just on the phone with a VC and since she was in no hurry I mentioned to her that I had been hearing some very distressing things about Sea Gardens not only not honoring do not move requests but also putting people who were booked into the Ocean Palms building into other buildings. That guests and owners agreeing to go the the sales presentations were being rewarded with the better units. Without mentioning TUG I told her that people were posting online about this. Her immediate response was that they can't be doing that as the Ocean Palms building is a higher point chart than the other buildings. She asked if I had heard who was doing this so I gave her Chad's name. She said that resort managers aren't supposed to be doing what Chad is doing and that she was going to contact owner care to report this right away and share this with her team.

I hope this puts a stop to what is going on at Sea Gardens. As I've stated we've always loved Sea Gardens and I hate to see them getting such a bad reputation.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope this puts a stop to what is going on at Sea Gardens. As I've stated we've always loved Sea Gardens and I hate to see them getting such a bad reputation.

I'm a fixed week owner at Ocean Palms I'm pleased with your report, but I will be bring a copy of my deed when I return.

Recently when we were there, a retail couple was not happy with their unit near the shuffle board court and asked to be moved. They were told that if they went to the update, they could be moved to an Ocean View unit. They refused because those are studios. A few days later the woman was lounging in the sun near the southeast corner of the Ocean Palms building. She was also there subsequent days so I assume that they moved her there but never intruded as to the conditions.