• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chase Saphire for MF $300 credit

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe freedom points transfer over. Not sure about age...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My thinking about this is. . .

instead of adding an authorized user to the Sapphire for $75, why not just get a Freedom too and put your authorized users on that. Can you then move the points to the Sapphire and book travel from there?

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm gong to to. I got the sapphire preferred right before the reserve came out. When I hit 1 year I'm calling to get the card changed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I used my regular Chase Sapphire plus to pay my Disney Vacation Club fees I was surprised to see that I earned 3x the Ultimate rewards for my maintenance fees. That's more valuable than to me 5x MRP I earned using my Marriott Visa. I have over a million MRP. I need more Ultimate rewards. I can do much more with them.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
January was a busy month getting both the Chase card and than the SW companion pass (via A 5 night travel package). The Chase card was used for my MF's. I now have 112,000 UR and 120k SW points. A few questions ..
Does UR transfer to SW 1 to 1?
If you book SW using UR, how does the companion pass work?
Global Entry seems like the way to go for you and your spouse given you pay nothing and you pay only 15 dollar more for your sppuce over Pre TSA. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Global Entry seems like the way to go for you and your spouse given you pay nothing and you pay only 15 dollar more for your sppuce over Pre TSA. Am I missing something?

If you travel outside the US, Global Entry is worth every penny. Even if you're only kinda sorta thinking you may travel outside the US, you should get it. It's valid 5 years. Take 1 trip during that time and you'll exceed the value of the extra $15. Little to no lines through immigration and customs. Every now and then there is a line for GE. If im tempted to be discouraged, I just look at the other lanes and smile knowing I'm getting through much faster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

IuLiKa

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also like the card. I got it in november and I was able to use it for my thanksgiving vacation. With the pioints that i got so far I boked two nights at the cosmopolitan. The rate was about 80$ cheaper than ar the marriott. We did have to pay the resort fee extra at the hotel. The UR has different prices somettimes for some hotels than expedia..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few questions ..
Does UR transfer to SW 1 to 1?
If you book SW using UR, how does the companion pass work?

Thanks in advance.

I found the answer to my questions and I thought it might be of value to post it.

UR transfers to Southwest 1 for 1. If you have the reserve card, 10,000 points are worth $150. The value of Southwest points are 1.43 cents so 10,000 RR is worth $143. Booking using UR seems a better route. If you have the preferred card, 10,000 UR is worth $125.

If Southwest is a viable option, the real benefit seems to be UR in combination with the companion Pass.
I found this information on the internet.

"With the Southwest Companion Pass, Your Chase Ultimate Rewards Points Are Worth Even MORE. Because a Companion Can Fly With You for (Almost!) Free, Even When You Book Your Ticket Through Chase’s Travel Portal."

It was pointed out to me that you can't book Southwest on the Chase Portal so I got on it and I found..

"Some airlines don't offer advance seat selection. Southwest and Allegiant tickets can only be purchased by calling us at 1-855-234-2542."

So bottom line you can combine the two programs.

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I found the answer to my questions and I thought it might be of value to post it.

UR transfers to Southwest 1 for 1. If you have the reserve card, 10,000 points are worth $150. The value of Southwest points are 1.43 cents so 10,000 RR is worth $14. Booking using UR seems a better route. If you have the preferred card, 10,000 UR is worth $125.

If Southwest is a viable option, the real benefit seems to be UR in combination with the companion Pass.

"With the Southwest Companion Pass, Your Chase Ultimate Rewards Points Are Worth Even MORE. Because a Companion Can Fly With You for (Almost!) Free, Even When You Book Your Ticket Through Chase’s Travel Portal."

It was pointed out to me that you can't book Southwest on the Chase Portal so I got on it and I found..

"Some airlines don't offer advance seat selection. Southwest and Allegiant tickets can only be purchased by calling us at 1-855-234-2542."
So it seems a SW point is worth almost as much as a UR point if you have the Reserve card, but more than a UR point if you have the Preferred card. Seems simpler and easier to book direct with SW online.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score

UR transfers to Southwest 1 for 1. If you have the reserve card, 10,000 points are worth $150. The value of Southwest points are 1.43 cents so 10,000 RR is worth $14. Booking using UR seems a better route. If you have the preferred card, 10,000 UR is worth $125.

Thanks for this phone number. I added it to my contacts along with my other Chase numbers (Branch manager, personal banker). I have found them useful when traveling.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
So it seems a SW point is worth almost as much as a UR point if you have the Reserve card, but more than a UR point if you have the Preferred card. Seems simpler and easier to book direct with SW online.

Sorry, I'm having trouble following this math based on what IO410z said. From that post it looks like UR Reserve=$150; UR Preferred = $125; directly from SW = $14.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry, I'm having trouble following this math based on what IO410z said. From that post it looks like UR Reserve=$150; UR Preferred = $125; directly from SW = $14.

The challenge with doing this 4:30 AM with the lights off. SW = $143. I left off the 3 from 14.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Not really.....remember the large number of ways the Reserve earns you 3 points for travel. $1000 dollars of travel spend on card = 30 of points (3 for 1) of UR Reserve = 45 on spend for travel on portal. 1000 of RR = 14.3 of spend.

Last edited:

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know how helpful this is but I did a sample pricing for DTW-PBI 3/13 with a return 3/15. I chose the same flight times on all 3 pricing:

Using SW points - 16,026 + $11.20 tax Only the tax would earn UR or SW points on credit card

Paying cash - $280.37 This would earn either UR points on Sapphire or SW points on SW card

UR points - 18,690 This would earn SW points (I don't know how many).

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
If you travel outside the US, Global Entry is worth every penny. Even if you're only kinda sorta thinking you may travel outside the US, you should get it. It's valid 5 years. Take 1 trip during that time and you'll exceed the value of the extra $15. Little to no lines through immigration and customs. Every now and then there is a line for GE. If im tempted to be discouraged, I just look at the other lanes and smile knowing I'm getting through much faster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Ragin,
Now if there was only a Sign Up for "global luggage" the Global Entry Benefit would be great! We recently returned from Mexico to JFK on a Saturday night. I had GE and my wife didn't (she's in the process of getting it). I was through Customs and waiting at the Luggage carousel about 5 minutes after getting off the plane. My wife made it to luggage about 15 minutes after me. The luggage....about 45 minutes. I guess using GE with CARRY ON luggage is really the way to go! Haha.

We just got the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card and its great. I commute to NYC, so spending the $300 on bus tickets, train tickets, subways and easy pass replenishments was easy to do without needing to use for Marriott charges. I haven't spent much time yet exploring the Ultimate Rewards site but will do so as soon as I earn my 100k bonus points. Its an interesting question raised here though about which card to use for which purposes. I'm sure others have done a lot of comparison of earning points and using points for the various award programs to determine the best "return" value.
Brian

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Not really.....remember the large number of ways the Reserve earns you 3 points for travel. $1000 dollars of travel spend on card = 30 of points (3 for 1) of UR Reserve = 45 on spend for travel on portal. 1000 of RR = 14.3 of spend.
If you don't use your SW points for travel on SW, what good are they? And those of us that got the Companion Pass from converting a Marriott travel package have 120,000 SW points to work with. I would never just let them sit there because I could earn extra UR points on the spend for the ticket. Kind of like saying don't use your MR points for a Marriott hotel because if you use UR points you get a few more MR points on the hotel spend. I have both SW points and a lot of UR points and I now try to charge most travel (where I don't get a better bonus like at Marriott with their card) and restaurant expenses on the Sapphire card, but using SW points in this case seems like a no-brainer to me.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding the question of UR purchase of SW and how it deals with repricing and cancellations. I nosed around the web a bit. Most report that UR buys the SW ticket as cash. So, if you reprice or cancel you end up with the same SW policy as if you paid cash. Voucher to use for 1 year, in the name of the original ticketed person only.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you don't use your SW points for travel on SW, what good are they? And those of us that got the Companion Pass from converting a Marriott travel package have 120,000 SW points to work with. I would never just let them sit there because I could earn extra UR points on the spend for the ticket. Kind of like saying don't use your MR points for a Marriott hotel because if you use UR points you get a few more MR points on the hotel spend. I have both SW points and a lot of UR points and I now try to charge most travel (where I don't get a better bonus like at Marriott with their card) and restaurant expenses on the Sapphire card, but using SW points in this case seems like a no-brainer to me.

I pondered this too after going through the sample pricing that I posted above. From the outcome of that search it looks like a good (maybe even better) deal to purchase with UR points. BUT, having the SW points just sit there while I gobble up UR points makes no sense. SW points are good for only one thing. . .SW flights. UR points are so wonderfully flexible that their value should be saved for other airlines (or to top off MR account for travel package).

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
UR transfers to Southwest 1 for 1. If you have the reserve card, 10,000 points are worth $150. The value of Southwest points are 1.43 cents so 10,000 RR is worth $143.

I don't know which routes you checked, and they are somewhat different, so my numbers are not necessarily accurate for every flight. What I see is a ticket from Orlando to Denver on 5/20, Non-stop, is 10,431 points or $170. I have read that the numbers are different for other routes. But most of mine are around $165/10K points, each and every time I check.

I wondered if we could transfer miles from one UR portal to another and did discover that I can transfer from Ink Bold and Ink Plus to our Sapphire Reserve, and now those points get 1.5 in the UR portal, as opposed to 1.25 in the Chase Ink portal. It was easy to transfer, I just entered our CC# for the CSR and the points moved over easily, within a day. So now my tens of thousands of Ink points get higher value. I am ecstatic.

Last edited:

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I was not giving advice or making suggestions on how one should pay for SW flights. We are in agreement. I have a lot of RR points from the MR travel package swap. I will use that first.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know which routes you checked, and they are somewhat different, so my numbers are not necessarily accurate for every flight. What I see is a ticket from Orlando to Denver on 5/20, Non-stop, is 10,431 points or $170. I have read that the numbers are different for other routes. But most of mine are around $165/10K points, each and every time I check.

I wondered if we could transfer miles from one UR portal to another and did discover that I can transfer from Ink Bold and Ink Plus to our Sapphire Reserve, and now those points get 1.5 in the UR portal, as opposed to 1.25 in the Chase portal. It was easy to transfer, I just entered our CC# for the CSR and the points moved over easily, within a day. So now my tens of thousands of Ink points get higher value. I am ecstatic.

The benefits of combining the points from different UR accounts are terrific! That is why I asked in post #122 if Freedom points transferred to Sapphire Reserve. I knew they transferred to the Preferred but wasn't sure about Reserve. They do. Currently Freedom has the bonus category on gas, 5x points. The Bolds have 5X points at office stores and for internet/phone. The earning power of having a combination of cards is great.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I pondered this too after going through the sample pricing that I posted above. From the outcome of that search it looks like a good (maybe even better) deal to purchase with UR points. BUT, having the SW points just sit there while I gobble up UR points makes no sense. SW points are good for only one thing. . .SW flights. UR points are so wonderfully flexible that their value should be saved for other airlines (or to top off MR account for travel package).
Exactly!

Ricci

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I used my UR points for SUV rentals in Hawaii. Oahu.... May 6 - May 13.....11,828 points. Kauai.....May 13 - May 27....28,270 points. Far less than Costco, Discount Hawaii Car Rental, etc. And you can cancel 3 days prior if you find something cheaper.

IuLiKa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have tried to booked a hotel room for tomorrow using the points, and I found out that you cannot do it 24 hours in advance. What kind of travel card is this if I cannot redeem points last minute. I only need it one night, and I've been to busy to worry about.. Anyway, the rep said that if I pay with my saphire card then I can call customer service and use the points for that amount.. we will see..
anyway, disappointed.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I have tried to booked a hotel room for tomorrow using the points, and I found out that you cannot do it 24 hours in advance. What kind of travel card is this if I cannot redeem points last minute. I only need it one night, and I've been to busy to worry about.. Anyway, the rep said that if I pay with my saphire card then I can call customer service and use the points for that amount.. we will see..
anyway, disappointed.
Yes, but I don't think you get 1.5 cents per point when you sue it to pay the credit card bill.