• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Did we get ripped off? Give it to me straight. Grand Luxxe Residence Nuevo Vallarta

drguy

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
What does "5+" mean? Was it 6, 7...?
Were they as Jim mentions, "brand names"?
Did you have to pay a fee to a company to get rid of them?

I believe that there were 7 or 8. WorldMark (35000 credits), MGV (several accounts totaling 1220 credits) and a Pahio Bali Hai week. Yes, a fee of $500 per contract was required and I learned that after I returned home. Saved me around $8000 per year in mfs.
Instead of paying $500 to transfer the MGV account, it ended up being $3000 so Vida refunded the additional $2500 to my credit card.
For the actual details, you can look up the posting I made on TUG a few years ago. It has been referenced by another poster in this thread.
MGV, now Diamond, Pahio, now Wyndham and WorldMark are well known brand names I believe.

drguy

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't you suppose that it's possible that Vidanta is more successful in marketing the 'brand name' TSs that people trade in than smaller, independent ones in Podunk somewhere? If Vidanta can't sell the traded-in unit, or even give it away to transfer it out of the original buyer's name, they're not going to sit on it forever and pay MFs on something they can't get rid of.

Jim

Vida does not sell them themselves. They are sold by a company named Global Transfers or something similar to that. Vida uses a source similar to Kelley Blue book for valuing the timeshares is what I was told. An independent TS would likely have lower value than a more well known brand.
I believe that I saw my MGV account for sale on eBay due to the large size and it sold for very little.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I love Mayan World (credit to Phyllis) but variety is good. Not paying annual MF's on a large GL purchase, not so good imo.

I think Phyllis and Mikenk get a lot out of their GL timeshares, but they are using what they bought.

Ron
I think it is great when people know exactly how to use what they bought and how each system works, and I know everyone appreciates them sharing their knowledge.

Timeshares do seem to work out best when owners are able to use what they bought rather than buying something with the intention to always exchange it for something else. There are no guarantees for successful exchanges every time!

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
I have always wondered about the feature that if you don't use the timeshare you don't pay the maintenance fee. That sounds good at first, but it seems a bit illogical. Why pay thousands of dollars to buy something because you will save so much more if don't use it? It seems the same as buying a fancy car but never driving it so you can save on gasoline. I guess at least with a car you could go out to the garage and sit in it and listen to the radio.

I know that as someone gets older or their life circumstances change and they don't want to travel any more, not having that maintenance fee to worry about is a good thing. But, not spending thousands of dollars for something you don't use sounds like a better thing.

The first sentence in your second paragraph is the total answer; it really doesn't matter at all how much you use it - not having the obligation to have to use it year after year changes the timeshare from a long term financial obligation to simply a prepaid vacation. It has absolutely nothing to do with how much you use it; we use it multi weeks per year and hopefully can continue to do so. We never exchange - just use, but if we decide one year to do an around the world cruise instead; no big deal, we will just skip a year and double up if we want the next year.

The reason people dump (or want to) timeshares is that ongoing MF obligation to them and their family - family situations will always change; having a yearly MF as an ongoing family obligation that you or your family will eventually dump makes no sense to me.

We have three kids; we have already added them to the contract as they can use or not use as they wish in the future - with no real financial obligation; they love that we own. My bet is most kids will not want any part of their parents TS due to the relentless MF.

Hopefully, that makes sense.

Mike

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Curious about you don't pay MF until/unless you want to stay there. What is there to prevent the resort from overselling ownership since the model only works when they have more owners than usage, and then when you want to book weeks, you are told that the desired weeks have been fully booked and the only weeks available are shoulder season or none at all?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
The first sentence in your second paragraph is the total answer; it really doesn't matter at all how much you use it - not having the obligation to have to use it year after year changes the timeshare from a long term financial obligation to simply a prepaid vacation.
That would obviously be a great deal if one were able to buy a resale unit and not have the huge initial purchase price paid to the developer to begin with. Looking at the annual maintenance fee as a prepaid vacation is really more in line with actual vacation costs. $2000 for a week in a nice timeshare is a good deal, and maybe renting from an owner for about the cost of the maintenance fee is ideal. But if one paid $45,000 to buy the week and then paid the maintenance fee when using the unit, that certainly drives up the cost of that "prepaid" vacation.

But, as always, different strokes for different folks. It's great when anyone is happy with what they have.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Curious about you don't pay MF until/unless you want to stay there. What is there to prevent the resort from overselling ownership since the model only works when they have more owners than usage, and then when you want to book weeks, you are told that the desired weeks have been fully booked and the only weeks available are shoulder season or none at all?

RTU contracts ( versus deeded ownership) always have that problem regardless whether you have obligatory MF's or not. There is never any guarantee you will get a specific unit or specific time - always depends on availability.

Vidanta, with an always aggressive sales force selling and an always expanding resort system, really has a delicate balancing act of inventory availability to owners. As an owner, it is always a concern, but so far has not been a problem after 10 years of active use.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
That would obviously be a great deal if one were able to buy a resale unit and not have the huge initial purchase price paid to the developer to begin with. Looking at the annual maintenance fee as a prepaid vacation is really more in line with actual vacation costs. $2000 for a week in a nice timeshare is a good deal, and maybe renting from an owner for about the cost of the maintenance fee is ideal. But if one paid $45,000 to buy the week and then paid the maintenance fee when using the unit, that certainly drives up the cost of that "prepaid" vacation.

But, as always, different strokes for different folks. It's great when anyone is happy with what they have.

I actually did buy a Grand Mayan on resale and upgraded to Grand Bliss and Grand Luxxe through Vidanta (well less than 45K) in order to get more time, free golf, free massages, no MF unless you use, Senior Discount, and a few more things. My golf savings alone for me and guests average about 2K per week in real money; resort golf is expensive.

Based on our multi week yearly usage, we have already paid off our upgrade investment. We go next week at half price on Sr discount; in two years free - just icing on the cake.

My point is all the Vidanta posters here have generally chosen the approach that works well for their case - but at least, they all have had the opportunity to customize the Vidanta ownership the way that works for them. For me, that is much better than an obligatory MF and a resort stay at often a deteriorating timeshare.

But as you say, different folks for different folks.

Mike

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
RTU contracts ( versus deeded ownership) always have that problem regardless whether you have obligatory MF's or not. There is never any guarantee you will get a specific unit or specific time - always depends on availability.

Vidanta, with an always aggressive sales force selling and an always expanding resort system, really has a delicate balancing act of inventory availability to owners. As an owner, it is always a concern, but so far has not been a problem after 10 years of active use.

There is a difference between RTU ownership for committed MF vs. Pay on use. If I buy at Westin Lagunamar, technically, the number of weeks that are available for booking during the ownership season should match ownership/committed MF.

I am glad it has worked well for you. I have not stayed at Grand Luxxe and now it makes me want to try it out!

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
There is a difference between RTU ownership for committed MF vs. Pay on use. If I buy at Westin Lagunamar, technically, the number of weeks that are available for booking during the ownership season should match ownership/committed MF.

I am glad it has worked well for you. I have not stayed at Grand Luxxe and now it makes me want to try it out!

I assume it would be the same; in the contract, it shows clearly what I have the right to use - regardless what I actually use. TBH, Vidanta doesn't really care whether I actually use it or not as they will make it available to others - that they can then sell to.

I really have no clue how Vidanta balances via law or just availability what they sell versus what owners need. Inventory availability has always been my largest concern as they are a selling machine. It is interesting that the owner only builds when he actually has the cash - never borrows. I think this is how it all balances - sales slow; construction slows, and vice versa.

But so far so good - after 10 years. The new amusement park and associated hotels for that just complicates things. It is actually quite fascinating to observe.

Mike

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

Vidanta builds ( and staffs ) for peak snowbird season . They build in pesos and receive MF in dollars . The properties are pretty well full from Christmas week until early April .

There is always shoulder season availability and if they keep growing it will remain this way - IMO .

I believe they are working towards "filling " more summer weeks by increasing sales to the growing Mexican middle class . They have a separate sales force for the Mexican National market .
Historically the 4 Mexican Holliday weeks were sold to Mexican Nationals or as " Elite" week contracts and these weeks are not in most contracts .
( Christmas ,New Years and the (2) weeks on either side of Easter .)

My contract has a 6 month ARP and carryover . ie I can book a February 2017 week by calling in August 1 , 2016 .( using my 2016 week )
< 2nd / bonus week reservation time line works slightly differently- 45 day ARP for Feb & March >

If I was looking to book Feb 2017 now (Nov .2016 ) - Nuevo Vallarta , RM , PV & Cabo may be full in February - but Acapulco and Mazatlan probably have availability ( .Puerto Penasco is probably available also - but has Phoenix temp weather)

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We go next week at half price on Sr discount; in two years free - just icing on the cake.

My point is all the Vidanta posters here have generally chosen the approach that works well for their case - but at least, they all have had the opportunity to customize the Vidanta ownership the way that works for them. For me, that is much better than an obligatory MF and a resort stay at often a deteriorating timeshare.

But as you say, different folks for different folks.

Mike

We are counting down to our Sr. Cert use too - 4 years!!! :)

We purchased quite a few MP weeks on eBay and used some to upgrade to 2 Grand Mayan weeks, but kept others because of family & friends wanting to join us. We did upgrade to Grand Luxxe and have two 2-bedroom weeks (not the Villa) plus lots of extra weeks that we can use if we need them and pay MF. I think the grand total of all weeks we have available is 12 since that is what we had (counting VF weeks) before we upgraded. We would never need that many units in a year. But, with everything we have paid for units and upgrades (not counting MF & Renovation Fees) it is not anywhere close to $85,000.

When you sell a GL (or any newer Mayan world contract), the transfer fee is 10x the current MF. The special deals/bebefits and bonus weeks do not go with the contract either. That is why you do not see them on the re-sale market.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Equity trade-in for real estate of 70 K

Though seemingly totally on-board with our timeshare purchase 10 days ago, my husband has now completely unraveled. I imagine there is no "going rate" for these places but here's what we got. LMK if we got totally hosed.

Grand Luxxe Residence in Nuevo Vallarta
Master Villa plus adjacent Jr. Villa unit to make 2 bed 2.5 bath
Corner location
Time classification: Red
2 weeks/year for $2200/week
Also, got an additional 10 year contract for an additional week per year
2 - for-1 massage
50% off greens fees
Equity trade-in for real estate of $70K

All for the bargain price of $85,900.

Gave them $21,745 down payment and had them take our Sol Melia timeshare off our hands for equity credit of $21,900 - about what we paid for it..

Equity trade in for real estate 70 K - this could be the " value " in the contract .

Google Grupo Vidanta Real Estate- and then go to the 5th listing after clicking on .

La Jolla de Los Cobos

This sounds like a full ownership Condo development in the East Cape ( coming ) Vidanta project .
< listings 1-4 are existing / previously introduced full ownership Vidanta projects.>

If the "equity " in this contract allows the a purchaser a 70 K "deposit" against a condo purchase - and it is a true equity ( not TS smoke and mirrors ) then maybe the purchase price " makes sense ".

Does anyone else who owns Vidanta have this in their contract ?

Or is it a new twist / addendum that they are rolling out to help close sales on Grand Luxxe ?
( Sort of like when they introduced MF on use only in 2006 )

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Our contract has an Addendum page with a statement about Trade-in Privilege. Trade-in value is 65% of the amount they say our contract is worth - in writing on that page. But - the fine print says that the trade-in allowance may not exceed 20% of the Mayan Island property purchased. It is good for 10 years from the date of purchase.

Our original MP contract had this too.

shoegal

Reaction score
Signed in Mexico

"...and have my credit ruined for non-payment of the balance"

Remember that you signed the contract in Mexico, thus your credit would be ruined in MEXICO. Unless you're planning to move down south I could live with this. :p

Have you contacted your CC company yet? Or the resort?

Though seemingly totally on-board with our timeshare purchase 10 days ago, my husband has now completely unraveled. I imagine there is no "going rate" for these places but here's what we got. LMK if we got totally hosed.

Grand Luxxe Residence in Nuevo Vallarta
Master Villa plus adjacent Jr. Villa unit to make 2 bed 2.5 bath
Corner location
Time classification: Red
2 weeks/year for $2200/week
Also, got an additional 10 year contract for an additional week per year
2 - for-1 massage
50% off greens fees
Equity trade-in for real estate of $70K

All for the bargain price of $85,900.

Gave them $21,745 down payment and had them take our Sol Melia timeshare off our hands for equity credit of $21,900 - about what we paid for it.

Should I start throwing up now? I guess we only had 5 days to rescind and didn't. I suppose I could just let them have the $21K and have my credit ruined for non-payment of the balance. Might be worth it versus a divorce. Not really kidding about that.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Try Grupomayanblog@grupovidanta.com

Have you contacted Karen Rose with Grupo's Customer Service team for support: grupomayanblog@grupovidanta.com Email them as they have helped many people with issues such as this.