• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chase Saphire for MF $300 credit

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have Ink Cash or Ink Bold? Did Chase combine your Sapphire Reserve in the same account log-in?

I just got my Chase Reserve today. I delayed to apply for it until Oct 13 so I can pay all my MF with it within the 3 month. I was expecting it will take forever to arrive as everyone stated. Today I came home, and there was a UPS overnight and the driver simply left it on our outside door without a signature. I did not ask for overnight delivery when applying on the web. So it looks like the cards are back in stock.

To answer the question, I do have the Bold, Sapphire (got it last May) and the Reserve. I do not think I opened more then 5 cards in the past 2 years.

My Ink goes with my company login and has its own rewards account. Both Sapphires are on my personal account and share same rewards account. I will be closing the regular sapphire soon. Tried to close the Ink, they gave me $95 statement credit to keep it open.

What you can do is move your points between the 2 accounts without any restrictions and in any amount (not in 1,000 increments). It is instant. I did that before I called to close Ink.

Also Cindy, thanks for the tip of getting gift cards from Staples using Ink card. Just made 10,000 more points for money I had to spend anyway. How do you come with these ideas.

And Quilter, I would not pay the 3% just to get points. You may do regular spending and if you come close to the 3 month, just buy gift cards or prepay any accounts that take CC. It does not take much to pay 4K nowadays. JMHO

Last edited:

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thinking more on the overnight delivery.

Someone stole my regular Sapphire on Friday Oct 14 and I called and reported it. I asked for them to overnight me a new card. Maybe they put a note on the account to do this for all my cards.

It also could be that they ship all sapphire reserve cards via overnight. Others who got it can tell.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good to know. So it is a standard policy to justify the $450 fee.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
http://millionmilesecrets.com/2011/...ur-credit-card-minimum-spending-requirements/

I looked at his list years ago and realized I could make any minimum spending requirement with ordinary spending. Insurance, food, gas, tuition, gift cards (restaurant and airline gift cards are a great way to spend now and use later), maintenance fees (of course), and cable/phone bills.

yes but the nice thing is most timeshare MFs are classifed as Travel, which yields 3X Ultimate Rewards (UR) points per Travel $ spent. Plus then if you use the UR portal and you book travel there, you get a 50% premium.

So for every $100 of MF, you get 300 UR points, which converts to $4.50 worth of value if you book travel on the UR portal. So essentially you could get a 4.5% rebate on you MFs. Not a bad deal.

I use the UR portal to purchase Airfare, that airfare then accrues frequent flyers miles. So for personal trips I either use FF miles or I buy the tickets via the portal. I have not had a real cash outlay for a airline ticket in about 4 years. In that time I have been to Caribbean 7 times, Australia, Maldives, French Poly, and a whole wack of Domestic flights. So a mix of rewards and portal bookings.

I moved my UR points from my other cards to the new reserve card yesterday to receive the 50% premium for travel, so now I have nearly $6K in funds available to use for travel. I have yet to pay for this years allotment of MFs.

I think the benefits outway the $450 annual fee, especially because of the $300 rebate on any travel item, that basically reduces the annual fee to $150 for anyway with a MF payment that is properly classified as travel.

IuLiKa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the post. I am going to read on this also.. one of my friends asked me if it was a good deal. I have United and marriott, and I use united almost exclusively unless I stay at the marriott, I gave up on the marriott since I cannot find a use for the certificate.
maybe I will get rid of both and get this one, since the fee will be less..I am wondering if chase will be willing to combine my other accounts to the new credit card.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for the post. I am going to read on this also.. one of my friends asked me if it was a good deal. I have United and marriott, and I use united almost exclusively unless I stay at the marriott, I gave up on the marriott since I cannot find a use for the certificate.
maybe I will get rid of both and get this one, since the fee will be less..I am wondering if chase will be willing to combine my other accounts to the new credit card.

That is exactly what I did. I moved the credit limits from United and Sapphire Preferred cards and moved them to the new Sapphire Reserve Card.

Chase will like accommodate, unless you have opened too many credit cards in the last 2 years.

IuLiKa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to the bank yesterday and I opened an account I am waiting for my card, then I would transfer the money from the Marriott card and get my annual fee back (since I just paid it). second user on the card is $75 annual fee.

The banker told me that I can move my points from Marriott to the new account and then I will get 50% more points. That is not a bad deal.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
The banker told me that I can move my points from Marriott to the new account and then I will get 50% more points. That is not a bad deal.

I have never heard that. That is huge if true. I'm skeptical. But just think how much more valuable 100k UR are than MR.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never heard that. That is huge if true. I'm skeptical. But just think how much more valuable 100k UR are than MR.

I haven't heard of this either. Doesn't make much sense. If they are allowing transfer of MR and get 50% more. Then I could transfer say 200,000 MR points and get 300,000 UR ones. Seems too good to be true.

I recently received my Saphire and have made the minimum spend. What was funny is 2 days after I received the card I received a letter from Chase saying I had been approved, card will be in the mail shortly and per our conversation they reduced the limit on my Chase Marriott and used that reduction for the Sapphire card. I don't care either way....but that was a conversation that was never had.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to the bank yesterday and I opened an account I am waiting for my card, then I would transfer the money from the Marriott card and get my annual fee back (since I just paid it). second user on the card is $75 annual fee.

Wow! I'd like to know more of the details on this too.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau

Alas, poor IuLIKa, the banker doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

Transfers of Ultimate Reward points to travel reward programs are one-way transfers. You can transfer U.R. points to any of Chase's airline or hotel partners. But you cannot transfer from a partner's reward program back to Chase U.R. Marriott points or United miles cannot be transferred back to Chase U.R. points.

The only back and forth transfers for Chase U.R. points are between the different Chase credit cards that earn U.R. points. So if you (or your spouse) have one of the Ink cards or one of the Freedom cards in addition to a Sapphire Reserve card, you then have the ability to transfer U.R. points freely between the different credit card accounts. That's a great benefit because it makes your existing U.R. points potentially more valuable.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can transfer points between UR cards (Like Freedom, Ink, Sapphire), Marriott card is just NOT one among them.

With the Reserve card you get 50% bonus per point when using it to book travel in the UR portal.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Wow! I'd like to know more of the details on this too.

You can transfer points between UR cards (Like Freedom, Ink, Sapphire), Marriott card is just NOT one among them.

With the Reserve card you get 50% bonus per point when using it to book travel in the UR portal.

There would be no way to transfer points from the Marriott Chase credit card to any of their others. Chase does not hold a points account related to your Marriott Rewards credit card. Any points earned are immediately transferred to your Marriott Rewards account. So there would be no points to transfer to Chase UR.

IuLiKa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you everybody!. It makes sense. Of course the guy had no idea what he was talking about.

Good to know...

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI. Travelex travel insurance is NOT considered a travel expense earning 3 points per $.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I first read the title to the thread you linked but missed the "$600". Another look and I wondered "$600, no it's $300". Then I read further and saw how prepaying some this year and paying the remainder next. Very nice. Thanks Brian, I wouldn't have seen this without your post because I don't visit the Vistana forum.

Just want to point out that you need to be a little careful on the timing of the initial $300 charge in order to get the credit this year. You likely can't wait until the very end of December (depending on your statement cut off date) to make your initial $300 travel charge. The fine print reads like this....

$300 Annual Travel Credit: A statement credit will automatically be applied to your account when your card is used for purchases in the travel category, up to $300 in statement credits annually (“annually” means the year beginning with your account open date through the first December statement date of that same year, and each 12 billing cycles starting after your December statement date through the following December statement date).

I read that to mean if as an example, your statement end date is on the 12th of every month, your "first December statement date" would be the December 12th statement....so anything charged after that would fall into the $300 credit applicable to the next year. Unless I am misreading that language.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Catch, I'm reading the same way as you.

I received the card a couple weeks ago, no statement yet - but I just looked online and it reporting next payment due 12/14. Hum, wonder when the statement cutoff date is then. I have travel (cruise/Disney) this month...so hopefully those items will post in time for the $300 credit.

I may need to research this a bit more and if needed will do something to get the credit.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Good Catch, I'm reading the same way as you.

I received the card a couple weeks ago, no statement yet - but I just looked online and it reporting next payment due 12/14. Hum, wonder when the statement cutoff date is then. I have travel (cruise/Disney) this month...so hopefully those items will post in time for the $300 credit.

I may need to research this a bit more and if needed will do something to get the credit.

If you next payment date is 12/14, it means your next statement should run on the 19th or 20th. So make your travel charge before then and you should be good. I would try to do it sometime this month.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you next payment date is 12/14, it means your next statement should run on the 19th or 20th. So make your travel charge before then and you should be good. I would try to do it sometime this month.

Hum....I should be able to manage. Just not sure what is categorized as "travel". This month I have:

Week at GrandVista - want to use my Marriott card for resort charges though.
Disney Cruise: could change my card for onboard charges to this one.
3 nights at Disneyworld - I have the remaining room balance and all other charges associated with the parks I could use that card for.

That $300 credit is a huge feature to offset that $450 fee, don't want to mess that up!!!

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.

My next statement will close December 2 (due 12/27). I've daudled making the m/f payment this year.

Am I still okay?

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
The $300 credit posts almost the same day as the charge posts

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Also Cindy, thanks for the tip of getting gift cards from Staples using Ink card. Just made 10,000 more points for money I had to spend anyway. How do you come with these ideas.

I read Flyertalk, the Manufactured Spend forum there.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Thanks for the heads up.

My next statement will close December 2 (due 12/27). I've daudled making the m/f payment this year.

Am I still okay?

As long as your charge is on the Dec 2 statement, you should be good. That said, I would not wait until the last day or two prior to Dec 2nd to make the payment as I am not sure how pending transactions are handled around statement cut off dates.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
As long as your charge is on the Dec 2 statement, you should be good. That said, I would not wait until the last day or two prior to Dec 2nd to make the payment as I am not sure how pending transactions are handled around statement cut off dates.

Payments usually post fairly quickly, but if you make the charge only a day or two before the 2nd, it is likely it won't post on the statement. Only posted transactions will hit the statement.