• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Please post Hurricane Matthew posts HERE - rather than starting new threads]

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You folks in Florida, and up the S.E. coast, batten down the hatches and leave if you can. If not, please take good care. This looks like a more dangerous storm than has come ashore in some time.

You are in our thoughts as this thing bears down on you.

Jim

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hurricane

Hi
Our prayers are with everyone who has been affected and possibly will be affected from the storm.

I am also near the east coast.

Cyn

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I expect to be /a/ffected... not /e/ffected.
Bet'cha didn't expect the spelling police. ;)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
definitely not looking good for the Florida east coast.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
OMG, I just looked at the NOAA trajectory.
Stay safe everyone.
I am sorry for the smaller caribbean islands and Haiti hit by this hurricane.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Matthew

So far we have decided to stay put in Charleston, SC. Are battening down the hatches. Have supplies. Will be closing the exterior shutters that do cover the windows this afternoon or tomorrow. But don't have those on all the windows. Right now they are saying we will have a tropical storm with possible occasional hurricane gusts. We are two blocks off the harbor but on "high" ground for Charleston.

Downtown Charleston is eerily a ghost town. Actually kind of nice for a change. Most hotels and restaurants have closed. But the restaurants that are open are no waiting! Rare for here!

Everyone stay safe!

Glynda

vacationdoc

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone at Orlando WDW?

We were excited about getting 2 week exchange ar SSRS fron 10-1-16. Did not expect to be part of Matthew! So far, Disney is business as usual. They are moving the guests from Ft. Wilderness and telling everyone else not to worry.

schiff1997

TUG Member
Reaction score
To everyone who will be or has been affected by Hurricane Matthew stay safe you are in our prayers!!

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To everyone who will be or has been affected by Hurricane Matthew stay safe you are in our prayers!!

Ditto, please stay safe and our prayers are will all from Haiti to Virginia and beyond.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
If you're in that area, please use the facebook option to mark yourself safe after the storm has passed. It can really save time and energy.
https://www.facebook.com/safetycheck/?crisis_id=1619894238308536

My friend in the Bahamas hunkered down and is posting on facebook about her family's status. They don't have power - it was shut off for safety reasons. She said the storm has mostly passed, just waiting and hoping for no surge.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
looking like we will be offline for email/phone for a few days starting tomorrow unless something changes (we are just south of jacksonville)...the websites should not be effected as they are hosted elsewhere.

best wishes to everyone in the path!

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brace for Hurricane Matthew Damages

I'm remembering nasty hurricane Charley that passed through Daytona in 2004. We owned a week at Grand Seas Resort there and the damage was substantial. Most of it was covered by insurance, but there was a hefty deductible which we owners had to pay by special assessment before repairs could begin. That storm passed from the Gulf across Florida and exited to the Atlantic over Daytona. Let's see what Matthew does. I keep seeing it target Daytona and I'm glad we don't own that particular week anymore.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hurricane Info.

If u have Directv, They are showing the local tv feeds...Channel 361-2
I was watching TWC, but this is up close and personal....

Last edited by a moderator:

Soccer Canada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Glacier Canyon Points
Hyatt Vacation Club (Pending Transfer)
Hurricane Matthew Advice

My heart goes out to all the folks in the East that will be affected.

I do have a question that maybe can be answered here (dont get many Hurricanes in Alberta, Canada).

We are due to arrive Saturday on a Direct Flight from Calgary (Landing around 5pm EST). I'm thinking that isn't going to happen. Should we just rebook our trip and go elsewhere, is there really going to be that much damage to infrastructure? I dont want to end up in an Emergency situation where resources can be used a lot better then on a stupid tourist that came there while it was happening.

TIA for any advice.

Robb

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
My heart goes out to all the folks in the East that will be affected.

I do have a question that maybe can be answered here (dont get many Hurricanes in Alberta, Canada).

We are due to arrive Saturday on a Direct Flight from Calgary (Landing around 5pm EST). I'm thinking that isn't going to happen. Should we just rebook our trip and go elsewhere, is there really going to be that much damage to infrastructure? I dont want to end up in an Emergency situation where resources can be used a lot better then on a stupid tourist that came there while it was happening.

TIA for any advice.

Robb

depends on where you arrive and or where you are staying?

if its that bad, the airport will likely be closed and your plane wont even take off.

if your resort is on the beach in the path, it likely wont still be open on saturday due to flooding.

Soccer Canada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Glacier Canyon Points
Hyatt Vacation Club (Pending Transfer)
Supposed to arrive at 5PM on Saturday (departing Calgary @ 10am). Staying at Parkway, right off 192 and 4

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Saw this on Facebook awhile ago:

For those of you that are evacuating from the coast, I just heard a great tip. It's called the one cup tip. You put a cup of water in your freezer. Freeze it solid and then put a quarter on top of it and leave it in your freezer. That way when you come back after you've been evacuated you can tell if your food went completely bad and just refroze or if it stayed Frozen while you were gone. If the quarter has fallen to the bottom of the cup that means all the food defrosted and you should throw it out. But if the quarter is either on the top or in the middle of the cup then your food may still be ok. It would also be a great idea to leave this in your freezer all the time and if you loose power for any reason you will have this tip to fall back on.

Dave

Attachments

• cup.jpg
    cup.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 47

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Any TUGgers now evacuees?

Having a disabled husband i decided to leave SC coast where we have lived for three years. I think we got the last decent motel room in historic Madison GA east of Atlanta. There will be a chili cookoff with crafts sale and live music this Sat so some fun is in store. Anyone else on TUG an orphan of the storm?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Supposed to arrive at 5PM on Saturday (departing Calgary @ 10am). Staying at Parkway, right off 192 and 4

should know tomorrow if orlando was hit that badly or not, it is a good ways inland though.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Saw this on Facebook awhile ago:

For those of you that are evacuating from the coast, I just heard a great tip. It's called the one cup tip. You put a cup of water in your freezer. Freeze it solid and then put a quarter on top of it and leave it in your freezer. That way when you come back after you've been evacuated you can tell if your food went completely bad and just refroze or if it stayed Frozen while you were gone. If the quarter has fallen to the bottom of the cup that means all the food defrosted and you should throw it out. But if the quarter is either on the top or in the middle of the cup then your food may still be ok. It would also be a great idea to leave this in your freezer all the time and if you loose power for any reason you will have this tip to fall back on.

Dave

We have been doing something similar for years. We put 1 ice cube into a zip snack bag & keep it in the freezer. If the power is off long enough for the ice cube to melt then we know the freezer contents have been thawed.

We lost power for 3 days up here many years ago. I put every comforter, sleeping bag & blanket I could find around my 2 chest freezers. When the power came back on my bag of ice cubes were still perfectly formed! :banana:

Thoughts and prayers are with all those affected along the Florida coast.

~Diane

Berea1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Theme Parks and Orlando/West Palm Beach Airports have closed

It was just announced that all of the theme parks are closing tonight and the airports as of 8 Pm.

Patrick

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Orlando

We had a reservation for The Fountains beginning Monday but cancelled. It may be just fine but felt that it would probably be less than an ideal experience driving down and once there. Plus we don't know what we will be facing in clean-up and repairs here. We were on Bonus Time so weren't in danger of loosing our week or points. Will go another time!