• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just how Changeable are "Changeable" Reservations?

Wexflyer

Reaction score
I have a "changeable" online reservation. Can't quite figure out just how changeable these are. I can think of three levels:
a) Only changeable to same property at different time,
b) Changeable to any property that can be booked online, or
c) Changeable to any HGVC property or affiliate.

I think the correct answer is b) - can anyone confirm?
Cheers

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a "changeable" online reservation. Can't quite figure out just how changeable these are. I can think of three levels:
a) Only changeable to same property at different time,
b) Changeable to any property that can be booked online, or
c) Changeable to any HGVC property or affiliate.

I think the correct answer is b) - can anyone confirm?
Cheers

It would actually be B and C. However, if you choose to change your reservation to a resort not bookable online, you'd have to call it in.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Isnt that only the case if you are inside the 31 day window?
That is true if you are booking a stay that is less points than the original reservation and don't want to lose any points. Otherwise, it doesn't matter if you make a change for the same points/more points/less points.

The workaround for changing in the 30 day window to a reservation that costs less points without losing points is to change to a date further out. When that reservation is secure, change to the dates you really want and you won't lose any points.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Also dates must remain within the same calendar year

vacationbear

TUG Member
Reaction score
As it turn out, this became a most useful thread to me this afternoon.

I was lucky enuf to score a 6 night 2 Bd Premier at the Lagoon Tower (never been in one, can't wait...:banana:).
The preceding 7 nights are booked in the Grand Waikikian (2Bd+) for 12600 points.
Our preference would be, ideally, to stay in a LT Premier for the entire stay.

Question:
Can I easily (free of charge?) change my 7 nights GW into (more/less/same) nights at the LT if availability shows up?

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
Also, depends on whether you're calling them or trying to do it online. I had a reservation to which I needed to add one day, and once I found the link on the new site to "change" a reservation, it wouldn't let me do that--even though there was clearly availability. I called, they changed it. No additional fees. But it sure was a pain in the tuchas.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Question:
Can I easily (free of charge?) change my 7 nights GW into (more/less/same) nights at the LT if availability shows up?

If you booked online (or called it in + paid a changeable-fee), then you can change (using the same method) to any other stay for the same or more points up to 1-day b4 check-in. But if your change uses fewer points, your cut-off is 31 days b4 check-in. The common work-around for that issue is to move your stay MT 31 days out and then change again with the risk of losing the stay altogether.

See page 2 of "The Rules."
https://d1m2ucn09z2f8d.cloudfront.n...6d3-b31a-088d544dae8a/HGV-Club-Rules-2016.pdf

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The workaround for changing in the 30 day window to a reservation that costs less points without losing points is to change to a date further out. When that reservation is secure, change to the dates you really want and you won't lose any points.

Does that also mean that canceling the changed reservation once it is more than 30 days out will also return all of the points?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Does that also mean that canceling the changed reservation once it is more than 30 days out will also return all of the points?

Correct. You lose only the reservation fee.
It may help to read The Rules (linked in my last post)...

"Cancellation of a Resort Reservation:
• 31 days or more prior to check-in will result in forfeiture of the entire reservation fee, if any.
• 30 to 15 days prior to the check-in date will result in forfeiture of 25% of the currency (Open Season rental rate, ClubPoints or Bonus Points) used to confirm the reservation and the entire reservation
fee, if any.
• 14 to 6 days prior to the check-in date will result in forfeiture of 50% of the currency (Open Season rental rate, ClubPoints, or Bonus Points) used to confirm the reservation and the entire reservation
fee, if any.
• 5 or fewer days prior to the check-in date will result in 100% forfeiture of the currency used (Open Season rental rate, ClubPoints, or Bonus Points) to confirm the reservation and the entire reservation fee, if any."
Reservations booked with ClubPoints or Bonus Points and later canceled cannot be rebooked into the same resort for the same time period using Open Season rental rates."

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Just how Changeable are "Changeable" Reservations?

Reservations booked with ClubPoints or Bonus Points and later canceled cannot be rebooked into the same resort for the same time period using Open Season rental rates."

The key word in this rule is 'canceled'. If you 'change' the reservation Open Season is fair game.

Caveats:
- This is trickier close to the end of the year as Alwaysonvac pointed out, changes must stay in the same calendar year.

- I wouldn't do it for a change / book it as open season, it might not show up right away. If there is open season available, book that first, then change.

- This assumes open season is cheaper, depends on your cost per point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: