• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owner Updates: Best offers in 2016?

Richardsdeals

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious:

What was the top offer you got this year to attend an owner's update? AMEX Gift Cards? Show tickets?

We are heading to the Smokey Mountains this weekend for a 4 day trip. Not planning on attending the update.....but wondering what they are offering this year.

RC

buckor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious:

What was the top offer you got this year to attend an owner's update? AMEX Gift Cards? Show tickets?

We are heading to the Smokey Mountains this weekend for a 4 day trip. Not planning on attending the update.....but wondering what they are offering this year.

RC
Are you going to be at Smoky Mountains or Great Smokies Lodge?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
GSL was offering $150 last weekend. Don't know about SM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GVeitengruber

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received a $75 Amex and a $20 parking voucher at Wyndham Skyline. It wasn't worth the 1.5 hour presentation. ;-)

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I got my parking pass and the heck outta there after I told the smooth talker my wife couldnt make the trip, better than any deal he could have offered.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

Cxt333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Daytona ocean walk this summer gave me $200 in boardwalk restaurant certificates. She must of thought I was a big fish. Lol

donnaval

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I always refuse to do updates, but on a recent short stay at Governor's Green (gap stay between two weeks in Va Beach), it was too hot to do anything outside and so I agreed. No DH with me, they didn't care. I got a lunch, a $30 voucher for dinner from a small group of restaurants, and a FREE VACATION WEEK voucher which they touted as being my ticket to a dream trip to Hawaii or some other paradise...which turns out to be pretty worthless. It's by Endless Vacation Rentals, very limited, worse than any AC I've ever gotten from II. There is no cost to use it IF I can find anything to redeem it on, or, I can "upgrade" it for anywhere from $149 to $1400. None of what I've seen so far has been worth grabbing for free, let alone paying an upgrade. Oh well. Lunch was good and I had a nice dinner lol.

Last edited:

iaminak

Reaction score
I recently went to Ocean Boulevard and got $75 AMEX for 60 min presentation (typically I usually hear 90 min but they said this time we were only obligated to stay 60). Other options were show tickets or restaurant vouchers but I don't know the value because I wasn't interested in those anyway.

Reaction score
I always refuse to do updates, but on a recent short stay at Governor's Green (gap stay between two weeks in Va Beach), it was too hot to do anything outside and so I agreed. No DH with me, they didn't care. I got a lunch, a $30 voucher for dinner from a small group of restaurants, and a FREE VACATION WEEK voucher which they touted as being my ticket to a dream trip to Hawaii or some other paradise...which turns out to be pretty worthless. It's by Endless Vacation Rentals, very limited, worse than any AC I've ever gotten from II. There is no cost to use it IF I can find anything to redeem it on, or, I can "upgrade" it for anywhere from $149 to $1400. None of what I've seen so far has been worth grabbing for free, let alone paying an upgrade. Oh well. Lunch was good and I had a nice dinner lol.
I got one of those certificates as well. Only good for a reservation made 30 days or less in advance. USELESS!!

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only good for a reservation made 30 days or less in advance. USELESS!!

That's the one, Skipper! But, I got an email a few days ago that very excitedly told me about the wonderful new upgrade options that let you book as far as 90 days in advance. For a fee. There's still nothing good, and the fee is mostly outrageous - the units are even worse than the leftovers in last call or extra vacations, and the fee is higher. USELESS!!

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham midtown 45 was offering $50 to $1000, amex cards. You wouldn't know what you had until after your hard sell.

Last edited:

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Wyndham midtown 45 was offering $50 to $1000, amex cards. You wouldn't know what you had until after your hard sell.

That might be worth the 90 minutes...

Richardsdeals

TUG Member
Reaction score
We checked in yesterday to Wyndham Smoky Mountains. Here was my experience.

1) The check in line(s) were a bit chaotic. Apparently they had a computer issue that shut everything down for 1 1/2 hours......right when everyone was trying to check in. So, it took a while.

2) Check in personnel was pleasant. Referred me to the welcome desk to get my parking pass.

3) Welcome desk walked me back to a separate seating area and introduced me to someone I will refer to as "Bait/Switch #1".....or "BS1". BS1 asked me about my plans, small talk, etc....then started to schedule my Owner's Update breakfast or lunch. I was firm and told her (graciously) that I had been before and just wanted my parking pass. She was shocked. I mean, really, shocked. Could not believe my not wanting to go to my Owner's Update. I continued to be gracious and said "No Thank You" about 35 times.

4) BS1 called over "Bait/Switch #2"......BS2 had an even more shocked face. "Why don't you want ......." starting talking about a Gold upgrade, how they are the only resort to offer.......something like eternal youth.....I don't remember. I was too busy saying, "No Thank You".

5) The offer: Oh yeah......the offer was discounts to shows.....passes to the other Wyndham for the water park....and then when I continued to refuse and BS2 passed me back to BS1, she leaned in and said, "You could just get $125 AMEX card if you don't want the tickets". So, I guess that was the top offer.

So, I got my parking pass and smiled and said thank you.

Resort is nice. Units have some wear, nothing too bad. We are in a 3 Bedroom Deluxe. One of the bathrooms was missing a shower curtain.....never had that happen before. Can only wonder what the last guests needed that for.

Richard

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
.... One of the bathrooms was missing a shower curtain.....never had that happen before. Can only wonder what the last guests needed that for.

Richard

To wrap a hangtag staff member in ... after they insisted they had a "welcome gift" and pushed their way into the unit. After awhile, every dead fish does start to stink up the place. ;)

JeffandJamie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so we'll see how it goes once we actually attend the update tomorrow, but at Ocean Walk they offered us a 4 day/3 night cruise to the Bahamas on a Norwegian ship. We have to get ourselves to Miami, and the cruise has to happen in the next year, but supposedly it includes the all-inclusive drink package. Our only cost is the tax, about $110 per person (and the flights to Miami). This seems too good to be true, so it probably is. We'll see how it goes.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so we'll see how it goes once we actually attend the update tomorrow, but at Ocean Walk they offered us a 4 day/3 night cruise to the Bahamas on a Norwegian ship. We have to get ourselves to Miami, and the cruise has to happen in the next year, but supposedly it includes the all-inclusive drink package. Our only cost is the tax, about $110 per person (and the flights to Miami). This seems too good to be true, so it probably is. We'll see how it goes.
That's almost the 50th anniversary deal. Cruise to Bahamas, or 4 days and three nights anywhere at a 3 star or higer, plus one night at any Wyndham hotel anywhere or time you wish before sept 29th. With that you must attend a presentation. You pay $199 up front but get a $200 gift card after the presentation. Have already booked the hotel, Queen Mary at long beach, middle of May, and followed by a week at dolphin's cove with my points. I bought two packages, one for Wyndham presentation, and the other worldmark.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm in Orlando now. I'd volunteer for an owner update if I could for that deal.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is nuts. there was an email I got that offered it for $349. I can't remember if the hotel room was included. I wonder where Jeff and Jamie saw it?? My was booking a hotel room through rewards. He asked if we had been at a presentation in the last six months etc.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
We checked in yesterday to Wyndham Smoky Mountains. Here was my experience.

1) The check in line(s) were a bit chaotic. Apparently they had a computer issue that shut everything down for 1 1/2 hours......right when everyone was trying to check in. So, it took a while.

2) Check in personnel was pleasant. Referred me to the welcome desk to get my parking pass.

3) Welcome desk walked me back to a separate seating area and introduced me to someone I will refer to as "Bait/Switch #1".....or "BS1". BS1 asked me about my plans, small talk, etc....then started to schedule my Owner's Update breakfast or lunch. I was firm and told her (graciously) that I had been before and just wanted my parking pass. She was shocked. I mean, really, shocked. Could not believe my not wanting to go to my Owner's Update. I continued to be gracious and said "No Thank You" about 35 times.

4) BS1 called over "Bait/Switch #2"......BS2 had an even more shocked face. "Why don't you want ......." starting talking about a Gold upgrade, how they are the only resort to offer.......something like eternal youth.....I don't remember. I was too busy saying, "No Thank You".

5) The offer: Oh yeah......the offer was discounts to shows.....passes to the other Wyndham for the water park....and then when I continued to refuse and BS2 passed me back to BS1, she leaned in and said, "You could just get $125 AMEX card if you don't want the tickets". So, I guess that was the top offer.

So, I got my parking pass and smiled and said thank you.

Resort is nice. Units have some wear, nothing too bad. We are in a 3 Bedroom Deluxe. One of the bathrooms was missing a shower curtain.....never had that happen before. Can only wonder what the last guests needed that for.

Richard
Thanks for letting us know what happened at your checking in. Love your BS1 and 2 refs. So you said NO over 35 times? Incredible. And why are they always shocked? Have they never heard NO before?

Oh, guess they did not recognize the word, ....programmed/brainwashed for only YES?

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Thanks for letting us know what happened at your checking in. Love your BS1 and 2 refs. So you said NO over 35 times? Incredible. And why are they always shocked? Have they never heard NO before?

Oh, guess they did not recognize the word, ....programmed/brainwashed for only YES?

I was ther last month. It took me politely saying no thank you to #1 half a dozen times, to #2 twice, and then not so politely saying I was done.

travs2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Went to an update and said NO several times......finally when I had had enough I said to the sale guy " what part of NO don't you understand the "N" or the "O". He just laughed and said NO to him means "NEW OWNER". And there you have it......they are always seeing an opportunity to sell you more and more...:wall:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I guess we're cheap dates. We accepted two $10 Starbuck's certificates that can only be used at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club location. For that we took a 15 minute tour this last March. So already have a trip to Whaler's Village and walk along the waterfront to Starbucks planned for when we go back in January. And I look so forward to that because the epidural I had ten days ago worked and I am so pain free as to be almost floating! The word "walk" hasn't been in my vocabulary for months.

JeffandJamie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, we had our update today, and we got our free cruise voucher. As I said, we have to travel within a year, and we have to get ourselves to Miami, but it's totally free. They say it's a $1398 value, but it looks like on the Norwegian website that it might be more like $1000, depending on the time of year you go. The cruise is on the Norwegian Sky, which is an older boat, built in 1996. Alcohol is included, but premium brands are an upgrade.

durrod

Reaction score
They called with similar offer

They called for their 50th anniversary deal that seams it changes a lot.
The offer its the 4 days cruise plus two nights at ft. Lauderdale for 549 per couple. Has anyone have received a call with a similar offer? 549 its way more than free and the pass and new resorts information session its required. the other offer was higher tha reported here, a3 nights accomodation for 269 and 150 cash card back along the 100 one night hotel voucher. Can anyone elaborate about the details of this one night 100 voucher?

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
My offer through the rewards was either the cruise, or 3 nights at a hotel in Anaheim, staying on queen Mary, $100 Wyndham hotel credit for one night to attend world mark presentation, forb$199, with a $200 amex gift card to pay for the $199. I also bought the same deal with Wyndham, all have to be used by September 29