• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cost of new water heater

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I searched on home depot and the pressured thing im talking about is call
A Pre-Pressurized-Steel-Water-Expansion-Tank-
Thats a recent equirement on new installations. I would just call other places to compare prices in Your area and that way you know the ongoing price range .

That's the thing. It's always something.

I would rather spend $1,100 on a trip. :p Nothing fun about a water heater.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
New guy: $550 to replace the unit. Great Yelp reviews. Guess who we are using?

durrod

Reaction score
New guy: $550 to replace the unit. Great Yelp reviews. Guess who we are using?

Its that applyng a warranty credit? So at the end the cost without a warranty its around 1,100?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Its that applyng a warranty credit? So at the end the cost without a warranty its around 1,100?

Yep. The new guy told me that he charges $1,100 for a new install. And some local people confirmed that price. I knew that $1,100 for a replacement with a credit was ridiculous.

durrod

Reaction score
On the flip side, Now that you mentioned you replaced your AC recently, can you tell what was the lowest bid you got. Mine its working fine but after 18 years of service i know its past prime time and would like and idea. I know there are regional or even local price adjustments/differences but afterall all came from the same factories and with similar wholesale costs. Just the installations cost vary a lot like you confirmed on your water heater cost comparison research.

Last edited:

durrod

Reaction score
Yep. The new guy told me that he charges $1,100 for a new install. And some local people confirmed that price. I knew that $1,100 for a replacement with a credit was ridiculous.
Jus t as i tought. 1100 sounds right. And you really got a real credit for your previous one.
Damn, 5 years of use only. Its true that products in general are not build as they used to be.

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our inspector, not the installer, the county inspector, said that once you have an actual leak, you can have a complete breach with no warning, because you cannot see what is going on inside the tank. Then you have a big mess.

On a 5 year old heater? Really?

Tell me more about the gauge thickness and relative oxidation courses that take place over 5 years, please.

As long as there is a pan with an open path to a drain, I'd run this 5 year old heater for at least 6 or 7 more years.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
On the flip side, Now that you mentioned you replaced your AC recently, can you tell what was the lowest bid you got. Mine its working fine but after 18 years of service i know its past prime time and would like and idea. I know there are regional or even local price adjustments/differences but afterall all came from the same factories and with similar wholesale costs. Just the installations cost vary a lot like you confirmed on your water heater cost comparison research.

Sit down, lol. We bought from the low bidder but had to put in a special unit that was rectangular vs square because of where it had to be sited and the distance from our property line. It was $6k (extra $800 because of the size) and the other two bids were $7.5 - $9k.

But after having lived without a.c. for over 35 years, I think that it's worth every penny!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
On a 5 year old heater? Really?

Tell me more about the gauge thickness and relative oxidation courses that take place over 5 years, please.

As long as there is a pan with an open path to a drain, I'd run this 5 year old heater for at least 6 or 7 more years.

No pan - no drain (not required by building code) and we had a puddle of water on the garage floor.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
A hot water Tank will have at least a 6 year warranty , parts and tank.
You can pay for 8, 10, or 12 year also.

If it fails in 5 years and they give you a tank to be installed, you will only have one more year warranty on that tank, 6 years total or 8,10,12, depending on what you paid for. Will not start with a new 6 year warranty.

You do have to pay labor and any required ad ons mandated by code.

What they don't tell you is you need to flush a gas HWT 2 times a year to keep the temperature thermostat from mucking up.

all other tanks also, as this helps prevent sediment build up.

Also have a screen below the burner needs brushed out once a year or it will clog up and cause big issues.

wasn't one of the better idea's to filter combustion air.

This maintenance is in the book that comes with the tank , almost nobody does it.

Dave

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I guess it just depends on where you live. We replaced ours a couple of years ago, had a professional plumber do the work, added a drip pan and a few minor changes to the plumbing, increased the capacity from 40 to 50 gallons and only paid $750. Wages and the cost of living are significantly lower in the Midwest than on the coasts so I'm assuming that has a lot to do with it.

Last edited:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I searched on home depot and the pressured thing im talking about is call
A Pre-Pressurized-Steel-Water-Expansion-Tank-
Thats a recent equirement on new installations. I would just call other places to compare prices in Your area and that way you know the ongoing price range .

That's a thermal expansion tank which is connected between the cold water supply line and the tank. It runs about $30 at Lowes and should take less than an hour to install.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's a thermal expansion tank which is connected between the cold water supply line and the tank. It runs about $30 at Lowes and should take less than an hour to install.

Our guy called that a $400 cost. Nope.

Why do people do this? We have given him multiple referrals. Never again.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the Seattle area, you can dispose a water heater at a scrap metal yard and they will pay you based upon weight.

The professional contractors charge $40 to dispose of your old water heater.

Last fall I obtained replacement bids ranging from $1300 to $3000. So I just replaced it myself for about $500 plus some parts.

zinger1457

Reaction score
Last fall I obtained replacement bids ranging from $1300 to $3000. So I just replaced it myself for about $500 plus some parts.

I did the same thing, took me about 3 hours to swap out the water heater, I'm sure an experienced plumber can do it in half that. Not too hard to do the math to figure out what their hourly labor rate is. One of the reasons they charge so much is that replacing a water heater is often an emergency situation and they know people are desperate so they price it accordingly.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did the same thing, took me about 3 hours to swap out the water heater, I'm sure an experienced plumber can do it in half that. Not too hard to do the math to figure out what their hourly labor rate is. One of the reasons they charge so much is that replacing a water heater is often an emergency situation and they know people are desperate so they price it accordingly.
Yep. That, and most people these days don't know a screwdriver from a pipe wrench. Allows tradesmen to charge like they're brain surgeons.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
What many apparently haven't yet discovered is that nearly anything you need to know is on YouTube.

Anything from replacing a water heater to learning video software to acing a job interview. And everything in between.

I've been learning many new skills by visiting YouTube, and typing in what I need to learn. Boom. It's there. :clap:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
OK, but not everyone wants to install a water heater.

Or has the tools, or time, or physical strength to do it.

We have gotten to the point in life where we hire a skilled handy-man to do most repairs/installations for us. (Unless it requires a permit, like the water heater.)

Why? Because we can! ;)

Last edited:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
What many apparently haven't yet discovered is that nearly anything you need to know is on YouTube.

Anything from replacing a water heater to learning video software to acing a job interview. And everything in between.

I've been learning many new skills by visiting YouTube, and typing in what I need to learn. Boom. It's there. :clap:

Agreed. I've never considered myself much of an auto mechanic, but I replaced the entire intake manifold on my truck last year with the help of YouTube. Saved a boatload of money, I know it's done right, and most importantly, I learned a lot.
I could have easily paid to have it done, but why, when there are so many benefits to doing it myself.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I've never considered myself much of an auto mechanic, but I replaced the entire intake manifold on my truck last year with the help of YouTube. Saved a boatload of money, I know it's done right, and most importantly, I learned a lot.
I could have easily paid to have it done, but why, when there are so many benefits to doing it myself.

You got it! :clap::clap::clap:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's an even better example. We were going to leave for our timeshare on Saturday morning. Thursday evening, my wife comes home and says the rear window on the Pilot won't roll up. First, I pull it up manually and tape (duct, of course :) ) it in position so she can drive it the next day. Then, I get on Amazon, find the right regulator and have it shipped Prime one-day for $3.99. Regulator arrives Friday evening. After I get home, I get on YouTube and find a fantastic video on replacing the regulator on a Honda Pilot. Hit the garage, and done in about an hour for around $60 total. Even if I'd wanted to pay to have it done, I'm not sure I could have gotten the car in to the Honda dealer before vacation. And, our closest Honda dealer is clear across town. So I would have literally spent as much time dropping off and picking up the vehicle as I spent repairing it. Saved time, saved money and didn't have the hassle of making an appt, dropping off a car, etc. A win/win.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
After I get home, I get on YouTube and find a fantastic video on replacing the regulator on a Honda Pilot...

It really is incredible all the helpful information one can find on the net.
I watched a YouTube video on replacing the center high brake light in my car.

It called for getting on my back in the trunk, sticking a screwdriver up through a little hole, unscrewing the housing, then going into the car, pulling up the housing, putting in the bulb and then doing everything in reverse. I did it, too... but next time, I'll let my mechanic have a go.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It really is incredible all the helpful information one can find on the net.
I watched a YouTube video on replacing the center high brake light in my car.

It called for getting on my back in the trunk, sticking a screwdriver up through a little hole, unscrewing the housing, then going into the car, pulling up the housing, putting in the bulb and then doing everything in reverse. I did it, too... but next time, I'll let my mechanic have a go.

My oldest daughter has replaced her electric car windows and her headlights using videos from youtube. She told me that it was worth it to her so that she could get her hair professionally colored instead. Where there is a will, there is a way.

newportbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tank Less hot Water heater

I paid $1300 and had a plumber install a tankless hot water heater.
I am delighted with instant hot water, in part because the installation includes an electric recirculating pump.

The tankless aspect means you save on your gas bill because you are not needlessly heating 50 gallons of water. I would also expect the life expectancy to be longer.

Go online and check out all the articles.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember, all you home repair, YouTube fans ... those government code officials have all computerized and WILL pull up your permit history and then go LOOKING for all the repairs, improvements and NON-PERMITTED cost saving stuff you have done on the house. And it MIGHT included items that a previous home owner or handy man did.

And they have all the labor saving devices out there ... laser measuring gadgets, built dates on the hot water heater & furnace & air conditioning condenser unit, footprint of house, style of fencing & length & height, etc...esp if you have been in your residence for several decades.

And same applies for car repairs ... trade in that car or get into a serious accident (esp one that hurt someone) ....

Just a word of caution.