• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancun Private Tours

jpnotaku

TUG Member
Reaction score
A few years back I remember seeing a post on this forum about private tours that you could book in Cancun. I did a quick search and couldn't find the original thread. Anyone on this awesome forum have the latest information on private tours that are offered in Cancun. What I'm looking for is someone in Cancun that we can book for a day to show us around to places like Tulum, Xel Ha, Cenote's, etc.

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Not sure how private you mean - the concierge can arrange for a tour bus to pick you up at hotel for any of the attractions you mention. Absolutely do not rent a car (I have a friend with a horror story). Also I would feel much safer on a tour bus than a small POV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Valleygirl is right, pretty much any concierge can book this. If you don't want to work with the concierge, try looking at EntertainmentPlus aka USA Transfers as their are known at the airport. Their website is http://www.entertainment-plus.net/

They are reliable and pretty cost effective and highly rated on TripAdvisor and can do a private tour and aren't in the business of getting people to sign up for a timeshare presentation like your hotel concierge might be.

jpnotaku

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I'm looking for is a tour guide that used a van and not a tour bus. We're going the week of 4th of July for 9 days and it is basically 6 of us. What I'm looking for is that type of private tour. I am not planning on renting a car as I've heard horror stories about that down in Cancun.

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Email or call the concierge

jpnotaku

TUG Member
Reaction score
Email or call the concierge

Not quite what I was looking for but I'll give that a shot. In the past there was someone that folks on this forum recommended. I can't recall his name but many had contacted him. I wanted to get his companies name and the latest update on how he rated.

I'll contact the Lagunamar to see what I find.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Cancun Manny??? ....or Manny in Cancun??

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I can vouch for Entertainment Plus. We took a tour booked through them a few years ago to Chichen Itza and it was great!

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in Cancun right now. We just booked a private tour thru our concierge for the 2 of us. Normally these private tours are expecting requests to go to the ruins or Xel-ha, we are going to Akumal and Playa del Carmen instead.

We have done bus tours in the past, and I have also rented my own vehicle and driven down to the ruins and Xel-ha in the past.

This is the first time doing a private tour. The price was the same for 2 or 4 or 6, and it will be a big SUV or Van, so if we had our kids with us this time it would have been the same price we are paying for the 2 of us.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We are in Cancun right now. We just booked a private tour thru our concierge for the 2 of us. Normally these private tours are expecting requests to go to the ruins or Xel-ha, we are going to Akumal and Playa del Carmen instead.

We have done bus tours in the past, and I have also rented my own vehicle and driven down to the ruins and Xel-ha in the past.

This is the first time doing a private tour. The price was the same for 2 or 4 or 6, and it will be a big SUV or Van, so if we had our kids with us this time it would have been the same price we are paying for the 2 of us.

If just two of you, you could have perhaps done the trip for about $60 using the ADO Bus and a taxi. Take the ADO Bus from downtown Cancun to Playa del Carmen. That is about $10 US per person round trip. Then just a taxi to Akumal and back to Playa del Carmen for about $40 US total.

We took the ADO bus from Cancun to Tulum and then a taxi to Ziggy's Beach Club and had a great day. If not for the blown bus tire on the way there, it would have been perfect.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
If just two of you, you could have perhaps done the trip for about $60 using the ADO Bus and a taxi. Take the ADO Bus from downtown Cancun to Playa del Carmen. That is about $10 US per person round trip. Then just a taxi to Akumal and back to Playa del Carmen for about $40 US total.

We took the ADO bus from Cancun to Tulum and then a taxi to Ziggy's Beach Club and had a great day. If not for the blown bus tire on the way there, it would have been perfect.
Hey, thanks for that great tip. Obviously I should have asked here first. We use public transportation all the time, but I didn't think about the bus to Playa del Carmen.

We have some special stops planned along the way to some cenotes and private beaches, so I think we will stick with the private tour right now. I have been to Cancun about 6 times over the past 20 years but I have never been to the places we are going to on this trip.

Once I get a feel for them, if we go again, we can just use public transportation and taxis.

Thanks though for the alternative.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We took a private tour last time, but I must say I much preferred the larger group on a classy tour bus. The van we road in for the private tour was a rattle trap and very uncomfortable. Use your concierge at Lagunamar.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Hey, thanks for that great tip. Obviously I should have asked here first. We use public transportation all the time, but I didn't think about the bus to Playa del Carmen.

We have some special stops planned along the way to some cenotes and private beaches, so I think we will stick with the private tour right now. I have been to Cancun about 6 times over the past 20 years but I have never been to the places we are going to on this trip.

Once I get a feel for them, if we go again, we can just use public transportation and taxis.

Thanks though for the alternative.

The colectivo is another, yet cheaper alternative. It is also a little more flexible with being able to drop you off at different places along the way. Though getting one for a return is never guaranteed.

whwaldo

Reaction score
We used Cancun Manny for airport transfers as well as a full day tour and transport to/from Xcaret. He has sample itineraries (since it was out first time we basically followed his suggestion) but they will go wherever you want - the driver and van are yours for the day. Communication by email was easy, pricing seemed fair, the vans were not luxury transport, but certainly adequate, and the a/c and seat belts worked.

Diana Orizaga

Reaction score
Well I have a friend in Canaun who might be help you

Hello friend,
I have a friend who staying at Cancun and also working in a shuttle transportation company. His name is Mr.Rupert and you can call him on this number +52 1 (998) 140 4695 or email him info@nast.com.mx

For your kind information, his job is to make a tour of tourist like you. If you wish then you may contact him.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth our private tour was very good. There were 2 guys who took us, just my wife and I. Went to Akumal and Playa del Carmen. Both of the guys who took us were very friendly and one of them was an expert on Mayan history, so being a history buff myself it made for interesting conversation. And the van they took us in was perfectly fine and relatively new.

If there is a next time, the frugal part of me wants to follow Dioxide45's advice and try it ourselves. Especially now that we have been there once. We could have saved a significant amout of money. But my wife enjoyed being able to be driven down, not having to worry about where we were going, and not having to figure it out exactly what the best places were to go to.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any feedback or suggestions from people who have rented a car in cancun? I have one reserved for our trip to Lagunamar this summer as it seems more cost effective to take it from the airport and stop to get groceries. Was debating whether to drive down to Xcaret or XelHa.

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Don't' Rent a car
Hopefully you are aware that US car ins means nothing in Mexico
Car rental Insurance just protects the rental agency. You MUST have personal injury insurance bought from a licensed Mexican agency.
Without this coverage if you are involved in an injury accident you will be held for quite awhile even if not your fault. If you are personally injured you should have robust travel insurance - you might have to make a 10,000 deposit before being admitted and receive anything beyond Emerg treatment. There is no problem until there is a problem. Check withe the Mexico US Consulate to get latest info!

Last edited:

blahblah18

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to rent a a car, RENT ONE.

You'll be perfectly fine. Just be aware of the rules (Mexico is a different country, after all), plan accordingly, and have fun.

We've rented cars in many different parts of Mexico. No problem. Ever. As long as you understand the local rules and requirements (just like anywhere else you'd travel to).

If you don't do something because "something could go wrong" or "a friend/co-worker/neighbor did ___ in ______ and had a bad experience" would mean that nobody would rent a car anywhere. Or buy a timeshare, ever. Especially in Mexico. Or go to a foreign country. Or cross the street in front of their own house, for that matter.

If you want to drive around when you're there, rent one (intelligently) with correct insurance, make sure you have travel medical insurance coverage too (like any foreign trip) and have a great trip. Easy peasy.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with post above. I've always rented a car (in Mexico and other Latin American Countries) and have been fine. Do your homework and get proper insurance and you'll be fine. You will get to have control over your schedule that way and will save money along the way...YMMV.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to rent a a car, RENT ONE.

You'll be perfectly fine. Just be aware of the rules (Mexico is a different country, after all), plan accordingly, and have fun.

We've rented cars in many different parts of Mexico. No problem. Ever. As long as you understand the local rules and requirements (just like anywhere else you'd travel to).

If you don't do something because "something could go wrong" or "a friend/co-worker/neighbor did ___ in ______ and had a bad experience" would mean that nobody would rent a car anywhere. Or buy a timeshare, ever. Especially in Mexico. Or go to a foreign country. Or cross the street in front of their own house, for that matter.

If you want to drive around when you're there, rent one (intelligently) with correct insurance, make sure you have travel medical insurance coverage too (like any foreign trip) and have a great trip. Easy peasy.

Agree with post above. I've always rented a car (in Mexico and other Latin American Countries) and have been fine. Do your homework and get proper insurance and you'll be fine. You will get to have control over your schedule that way and will save money along the way...YMMV.
Seconded and motion carried.

Qroo Police have been told to go easy on the tourists and they know who is paying their wages.

We rented and drive last trip and will likely rent a car for the entire trip next year.

Actually don't rent a car. Too much demand will put the prices up.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

Diana Orizaga

Reaction score
I agree with ValleyGirl's opinion that There is no problem until there is a problem if you rent a car. So better if you take a taxi or book a private vehicle as if some thing happens then all responsibility will go on taxi owners, not you. I am not saying that renting car bad idea I just want to say that if you rent a car then you have to too careful.