• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vidanta, PV, second thoughts, still here ADVISE

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Good news from OP -a new and now more knowledgeable Tugger

Alls good got refund and a good lesson. Will say the Vidanta grand Mayan crew on me .... But I've learned I'm not ready to attempt to buy a timeshare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AS MANY A TUG POSTER HAS SAID
Great Resorts / Great Staff

"Interesting " Sales process

Contracts Dept honours what is in writing
and does so professionally

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Personal opinion - Even after reading all the posts since I wrote this - I would still do it it person --because --worrying if the post office burnt down at the same time that I lost my wallet with the receipt would give me worse anxiety .

But that is me
others may prefer the mail route
A good ending in any case
And a new. TUG member who saved themselves $$$

I Totally agree; I would never trust the mail approach. While the sales staff at Vidanta are indeed generally lying slimeballs, the member services people, who you rescind with, have always been straight forward with me. They honor the contract as worded including rescinding.

I have also found by rescinding, you do open up other negotiations as to possibilities. While I originally bought resale, I have gone through the process over several years to negotiate what I now have and am quite happy with. However, you have to escape the clutches of the trained sales folks, and get member services folks in the loop. The Vidanta contracts can be amazingly flexible compared to others.

Every time I go, I do the update and go through the process of negotiation. Realistically, you are totally in charge due to the 5 days for rescinding. Yea, I waste about 3 hours each trip but am always looking how to make my vacation dollars go further.

Mike

hellolani

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I Totally agree; I would never trust the mail approach. While the sales staff at Vidanta are indeed generally lying slimeballs, the member services people, who you rescind with, have always been straight forward with me. They honor the contract as worded including rescinding.

I have also found by rescinding, you do open up other negotiations as to possibilities. While I originally bought resale, I have gone through the process over several years to negotiate what I now have and am quite happy with. However, you have to escape the clutches of the trained sales folks, and get member services folks in the loop. The Vidanta contracts can be amazingly flexible compared to others.

Every time I go, I do the update and go through the process of negotiation. Realistically, you are totally in charge due to the 5 days for rescinding. Yea, I waste about 3 hours each trip but am always looking how to make my vacation dollars go further.

Mike

Mike I would love to be a fly on the wall when you go for your 3 hours to hear the questions you ask during the update. I actually enjoy presentations and learning about different resort systems and amenities for future trades / resales. There is no better tutorial for how to use a system basics than the sales presentation. Right now trading in on shoulder season is working well for us but as the kids get into school we may start to need spring break and Xmas weeks, so I'd love to know what is the most economical and smart way to get to GL level on those weeks.

drguy

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mike I would love to be a fly on the wall when you go for your 3 hours to hear the questions you ask during the update. I actually enjoy presentations and learning about different resort systems and amenities for future trades / resales. There is no better tutorial for how to use a system basics than the sales presentation. Right now trading in on shoulder season is working well for us but as the kids get into school we may start to need spring break and Xmas weeks, so I'd love to know what is the most economical and smart way to get to GL level on those weeks.
Christmas and Holy Weeks are excluded from most Vida contracts. They are available, but at a substantial cost.
Vidanta keeps track of the amount of cash that has been paid for the account and that is how they set the price for an upgrade. If you buy resale from someone that has spent a lot of cash on the unit, you get the benefit.
A couple of years ago, we were told that Vidanta was opening a resale unit to sell units that had been traded in for houses and to "help" the elderly that are no longer able to use the resorts. Not sure if that ever happened.

mcgugant1

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more thing to prepare for

One of the tricks that was done to us this year, was the surprise. Basically after you are refunded and relaxed, the next day they charge your credit card again for much more than your original purchase. I recommend cancelling your card immediately OR contacting the card provider to not allow that company to bill you for anything.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Why ?What For? ( credit card charge ) - Please explain- your post is incomplete !!

One of the tricks that was done to us this year, was the surprise. Basically after you are refunded and relaxed, the next day they charge your credit card again for much more than your original purchase. I recommend cancelling your card immediately OR contacting the card provider to not allow that company to bill you for anything.

Did you purchase and resind ?

Did you get discounts and deals and then fail to show up for a booked presentation ?

After you explain the issue - please tell this forum what resolved the issue .

Thank you -
T - Dot - Traveller
I am booked for a presentation and would like to gain information before attending

Last edited:

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa

Thats a new one on me; doesn't fit any of the experiences I have ever had or heard about. Your allocation is that they are openly stealing from your credit card account. I would also like more detail.

My experience is that they will promise things verbally that never make it into the contract; certainly unethical but not illegal as the contract you sign is the legal agreement.

poocooms

TUG Member
Reaction score
Easiest way to cance

I think that the only way to cancel your purchase is to give them a letter as soon as possible and immediately contact you credit card company to refute the charge

therese

TUG Member
Reaction score
With Vindanta I they gave me 5 days to rescind the deal. I called and told them I wanted to rescind the deal. But definitely put in writing. If you really want to own they will come back with an alternate price. Which I must say was very good just the down payment. I still wanted to own in the timeshare system and they promised they would take the two timeshares that I owned with high maintenance fees off my hands (Harborside and Westin Mission Hills) which it appears they have. So for me it was a win, win since they were able to get rid of the other two timeshares for me. But since I am not a very trusting person of timeshare sales people I made sure to cancel the card that the payments were supposed to go on just in case.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I still wanted to own in the timeshare system and they promised they would take the two timeshares that I owned with high maintenance fees off my hands (Harborside and Westin Mission Hills) which it appears they have.
How do you know for sure? Have you gotten any kind of confirmation from those two resorts?

1950panda

TUG Member
Reaction score
VISA has 14 day cooling off period for timeshare purchases

Not sure if you saw the post I made about VISA. Even though the cooling off period in Mexico is only 5 days, with VISA it is 14 days. You do not need a reason. You just have to show evidence that you asked them to rescind it. For me with another contract that was an email. I am currently at Grand Mayan and will be here three more weeks. If you are still here and need help contact me.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Problem with Valarta Gardens -- NOT Vidanta ***post by mcgugant1

FYI - for all current and future readers of this thread .

I contacted mcgugant1 via a PM - and was told that the resort that did the unauthorized credit card charge was Valarta Gardens - NOT Vidanta .

There is a extensive TUG thread started in 2014 - on the EXTREME scam situation(s) related to Valarta Gardens .

I hope this clarification is useful to all readers - including Karen Rose of Mayan /Vida /Vidanta

Last edited:

therese

TUG Member
Reaction score
vindanta

I would just like to say if you really want it. Rescind now, they will call and make it a done deal with just the downpayment. I did this and that is what happened. So if you like it rescind then they will bargain. I bought to just get rid of two of my timeshares and after much concern I am happy to say they came through and both my high fee Starwood properties have been sold.