• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Some spending advice needed-Probably just for teachers

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
This is really minor in the big scheme of things... but kind of important to me. I am a high school English teacher (so if you are not a teacher you might want to move on), My department is awesome and we are so helpful to each other with resources. Each teacher has a laptop (I use it all the time) a promethean board (I never use it) and a projection unit in the ceiling (I could not live without this)

Our department head told us we have 1500 to spend and it must be on forward thinking technology. No books or supplies etc. No sub time to meet as a department. If we don't use it we lose it and then perhaps no extra money for future years. He asked us to help him come up with aomething great to purchase for the dept. Some of us wanted document cameras but those are considered old technology now. I suppose if we had a good idea and it was 2-3000 it would probably get passed. Someone suggested buying us all paid memberships on a good English resource website,

Do any of you have any suggestions?

itradehilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't live without my document camera and iPad. I use the document camera to project problems/ worksheets onto a white board that becomes a working document. My iPad is easy to carry around, we take attendance on it and google translate has saved my day with newcomers. But do you have a portable microphone and speaker system in your room? This can save your voice.

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Document camera

Today we had an English department meeting and we all said either we love our document cameras or we wish we had document cameras;)
Our principal wants us to move on beyond teacher directed lessons and more into project based learning and so he views document cameras as old school technology. He wants us to challenge ourselves technologically.:rolleyes:

No we do not have speakers or mikes.....I only teach 1/2 time and at the end of the day my throat is very tired...especially as we work through Shakespeare (;.
But being part time helps with that.

I just am starting to incorporate project based assignments but like anything else...there is a way to massage rigor outcomes with my students...we are working on that. Some of my grade 11's really shone at their assignment but others just coasted or did not do it.....they do not value it as something important but as enrichment.....so that is an obstacle to be overcome.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My DH is a HS English teacher. I'll ask him.

I'm assuming you already have Turnitin access for everybody?

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Wackymother

Yes, this is something I think my principal would approve. I just emailed this to my Dept head......we looked into something like this in the past and it was too expensive for our smaller high school but times may have changed.

Some techie types....love those guys....they are real pioneers..... have been pushing Google Docs but we find there are problems with it....not too user friendly.....but it is free!!!! For now anyway....many of us do not use it fully. Actually some of our students do not have internet access at home. And they do not have the capacity to use their phones as tablets due to limited data plans.....we are not quite at the brave new world of unlimited easy use technology yet (;

But this is what I was hoping to get from my Tugger friends......great ideas that are actually used in the classroom rather than in some consultants perfect universe (;

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, you have about $1500 to spend for one classroom? I realize you mentioned department above, but just wanted to clarify. My wife's school recently purchased all the teachers iPads, but I think I like the laptop idea better.

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No...for the whole department

Remember, this is a profession where I have to ask my secretary for a box of paper clips...and white board markers are doled out two at a time if we ask nicely. :D

I am not really complaining........my profession has always believed in counting the pennies and the dollars will look after themselves.

No, the 1500 is for our whole department. We have enough novel sets and the rest is mostly paper and pencil work. So our costs are not as high as phys ed which has to purchase a lot of balls etc or science that uses chemicals etc.

We are kinda of the poor relations at the dinner table....humble but proud (;

But this is an opportunity to think outside of the box and I am looking to see what my colleagues might be doing around the country...well Can and the US.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a retired high school AP and math teacher I would suggest you get some staff development on the Promethean Board. It's a fabulous tool!

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Promethean board

Truly that sounds like a great plan. Very few in our school use the Promethean board. When we got them...oh about 7 years ago...most of the inservice we got was elementary in materials and most of us discounted the device.

I am sure there is a wealth of resources available now. (; Thanks for the idea.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Turnitin is great, and many colleges use it too, so it would be good for your students to become acquainted with it. You might mention that as part of your pitch. Plagiarism is such a huge problem, and it's one that even many educators don't understand fully.

I was out yesterday and forgot to ask my DH, but I just sent him an email.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some techie types....love those guys....they are real pioneers..... have been pushing Google Docs but we find there are problems with it....not too user friendly.....but it is free!!!! For now anyway....many of us do not use it fully. Actually some of our students do not have internet access at home. And they do not have the capacity to use their phones as tablets due to limited data plans.....we are not quite at the brave new world of unlimited easy use technology yet (;

I don't find Google Docs useful personally, unless it's something I'm working on collaboratively with a group.

Microsoft has very good terms for students and teachers. In fact I think my DH's Microsoft Office 365 subscription is free. You might look into getting a full-school license for Word or Office. Again, they're programs that your students will need to know out in the world.

Is a Promethean board a smart board? Or something more advanced? Is it just a brand name?

How about using the grant to beef up your in-school wifi? Or is it already good?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
As a retired high school AP and math teacher I would suggest you get some staff development on the Promethean Board. It's a fabulous tool!

Truly that sounds like a great plan. Very few in our school use the Promethean board. When we got them...oh about 7 years ago...most of the inservice we got was elementary in materials and most of us discounted the device.

I am sure there is a wealth of resources available now. (; Thanks for the idea.

+2 on the whiteboards....

Not sure of your specifics, but the whiteboard coupled with google docs (for connected kids) and/or using cheap usb keys (for un-connected kids) and/or usb to print functions is a great teaching tools for absent students, remote students or peer review. I've found that peer review is much better if done discreetly versus direct intervention in the classroom. You can get some very good feedback from recorded lectures, notes etc..

Not sure how you do/would use the technology, but there great options for playback, record or sharing information.

cheers.

geekette

Reaction score
I haven't worked at a non-profit in a while, but check TechSoup.org for discounted products and services for non-profits. Microsoft is of course active in charity pricing, but plenty of other companies make their software affordable also.

Personally, I like smart boards and think the utility is endless.