• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bought resale? We don't want to talk to you...

vacationbear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello TUGers

Came back from a week at the Lagoon Tower.
Yet again another great stay in a refurbished room.

The concierge, after seeing our two TS, suggested to get the owner update to possibly reduce the MF via buying a 3bd at the GW or the new Islander (getting credit for the money already spent). This room would yield the same 21000 points but just one, lower, MF- and Elite status on top of that. :banana:

Though that was worth exploring and a lady indeed offered one of two perks:
2 tickets to a big Luau show on the great lawn on 12/31 (worth $125 each) or 50k HHonors points. Both were enough reasons to listen to them for 60 minutes.

We accepted and for some reason the ended up talking to her manager. After a while she returned, embarrassed, and told me that I don't "qualify" for the perks since I bought resale! :eek:

It seems that the sales folks at HHV don't want to talk to the educated buyers who rather buy resale and save tens of thousands of dollars.

I suppressed a big laugh and went my merry ways.

So, TUGers, realize what we are in the eyes of the HHV sales folks! :D

Out of curiosity: how much would a 3bd GW TS with 21k point run these days? Bough from HGVC?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Still want 50K HH points? Get a HH Amex card and spend $750 in the first 3 months. It's one of the few loyalty cards that gives a bunch of points at signup and doesn't have an annual fee.

TheCryptkeeper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at the Flamingo
West 57th St. By Hilton Club
Hello TUGers

Came back from a week at the Lagoon Tower.

Yet again another great stay in a refurbished room.

The concierge, after seeing our two TS, suggested to get the owner update to possibly reduce the MF via buying a 3bd at the GW or the new Islander (getting credit for the money already spent). This room would yield the same 21000 points but just one, lower, MF- and Elite status on top of that. :banana:

Though that was worth exploring and a lady indeed offered one of two perks:

2 tickets to a big Luau show on the great lawn on 12/31 (worth $125 each) or 50k HHonors points. Both were enough reasons to listen to them for 60 minutes.

We accepted and for some reason the ended up talking to her manager. After a while she returned, embarrassed, and told me that I don't "qualify" for the perks since I bought resale! :eek:

It seems that the sales folks at HHV don't want to talk to the educated buyers who rather buy resale and save tens of thousands of dollars.

I suppressed a big laugh and went my merry ways.

So, TUGers, realize what we are in the eyes of the HHV sales folks! :D

Out of curiosity: how much would a 3bd GW TS with 21k point run these days? Bough from HGVC?

I received similar treatment at W. 57th Street. After it was discovered we purchased resale, I was rushed through the owner's update, and I left empty handed WITHOUT any of the incentives originally offered to me for going. It was a waste of my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
At hhv they started not awarding gifts to attend owner updates last year. They offered me the standard $150 hilton dollars if we would attend. Lady called in to make an appointment and was told something. Then hanging up told us that we did not qualify because we only own resale.
Guess the hgvc management at hhv decided that resale buyers paying $1 a point for platinum conrracts were not going to spend ten times that to buy direct, even for the elite benefits. Took a few years but they have caught on that resale buyers are not going to pay full freight.
Now us lowly resale buyers get to enjoy our vacations without being bothered to attend an update.

vacationbear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now us lowly resale buyers get to enjoy our vacations without being bothered to attend an update.

Yup, and isn't this an added perk? Free of charge :hysterical:

This also means that they are confident to sell the entire Islander to people who are willing to spend 3X, 4X, 5X (or even more) the amount which a unit would cost on the resale market.

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup, and isn't this an added perk? Free of charge :hysterical:

This also means that they are confident to sell the entire Islander to people who are willing to spend 3X, 4X, 5X (or even more) the amount which a unit would cost on the resale market.
Let them.. how would I be able to buy at 10 percent of fair value otherwise..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
At hhv they started not awarding gifts to attend owner updates last year. They offered me the standard $150 hilton dollars if we would attend. Lady called in to make an appointment and was told something. Then hanging up told us that we did not qualify because we only own resale.
Guess the hgvc management at hhv decided that resale buyers paying $1 a point for platinum conrracts were not going to spend ten times that to buy direct, even for the elite benefits. Took a few years but they have caught on that resale buyers are not going to pay full freight.

That is interesting, wonder if this will spread beyond HHV, and they will stop offering "gifts" to attend presentations at other HGVC locations..

I am all for that, i attended a few "updates" after we first bought, but now i value my vacation time far more than the value of the typical gifts...

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Just out of curiosity: how much does a 3bd cost at the Grand Wikikian when bought via HGVC?

Not sure about GW but its probably in line with the new Islander tower sales, which have been reported anywhere from $43k for a 2 br island view upwards of $200k for a fixed summer week ocean front 3 br.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

vacationbear

TUG Member
Reaction score
upwards of $200k for a fixed summer week ocean front 3 br.

Thank you Dave!!!

This leads to interesting math and once again shows the value of TUG:
Lets assume $200k for a 3db and 21k points. We have paid about $20k for our LT 2bd+.

Savings: a cool $180k :whoopie:

This would pay for, roughly
- 112 years of $1600 MF
- 514 weeks of a 7 day rental car
- 1058 dinner for two at the very nice "Top of Waikiki" restaurant
- 1565 ($115 each) Atlantis submarine tours
- 6207 days of parking at the HHV parking garage

:p

TUG rocks! :banana:

Aloha and Mahalo!

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Savings: a cool $180k

For that $180K, you could have eligible for Elite benefits. Who wouldn't want to pay $180K for a gift of a calendar and key card that says Elite on it? :p:p:p

Duanerice

Reaction score
At Elara a month ago they didn't check that we were resale until after we sat down after the tour, which I actually enjoyed. Real short meeting, manager didn't even come over but we got our tickets to Jersey Boys. Great show by the way!

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
For that $180K, you could have eligible for Elite benefits. Who wouldn't want to pay $180K for a gift of a calendar and key card that says Elite on it? :p:p:p

HGVC doesn't include luggage tags? Wow, they're cheap.

Sent from my iPad

vacationbear

TUG Member
Reaction score

WHAT??? :eek:
I would get a calendar and key card w/ Elite on it?????
Thats a bargain!

On the other hand, we did enjoy the clean LT and its still impeccably maintained surroundings! What we learned was that the week after Christmas is (of course) a very busy one (all three HGVC towers were at 100% occupancy) and that came with a higher noise level than what we experienced during our June/ July trips.

Despite the crowds we had no problems whatsoever to find parking on the lower floors of the parking garage which remains a "bargain" at $29 per night compared to whats available nearby. The parking garage on Kalia Rd offered the best deal with a $160 weekly pass. But I'd rather pay those $50 more and enjoy the convenience of a short (and mostly covered) path back to the room when schlepping groceries or water.

$180k also equals 9473 bottles of my favorite Pinot Noir.
I drink to that!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella

Last time I stayed at KL my key card said Elite.

Made all the difference!

Queen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still want 50K HH points? Get a HH Amex card and spend* in the first 3 months. It's one of the few loyalty cards that gives a bunch of points at signup and doesn't have an annual fee.

I am not able to find any information on the card you mentioned. I did a chat with Amex and they say they don't have such a card. Do you have any further information i.e. the name of that Amex card.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you Dave!!!

Lets assume $200k for a 3db and 21k points. We have paid about $20k for our LT 2bd+.

- 112 years of $1600 MF

Aloha and Mahalo!

that is pretty mind boggling....and leads most people to believe resale cant possibly be the same as retail with such a staggering price difference.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Last edited:

jestme

Reaction score
I am at the LT right now and will be for a couple of weeks. If a Tugger is heere, I'd love to meet for a beer, just send me a private message. Today, I spent 90 minutes on the balcony today waiting for my wife to return because the patio door locked by itself when I went outside. When we got here, a guy had come and put the door back on it's tracks just as we were walking in. I suspect the last guest got locked out too and knocked it off the tracks to get back in.
Our experience getting our "free gift" was standard, "scratch here, here's your bag and luggage tag. Not interested in an owners update? OK, thanks for dropping by". I am both a retail and a resale owner.
However, my wife walked into the HGVC "kiosk" to look at the building model of the new tower. Sales person there was totally different. Even though I've owned here for 10 years, and came another 5 times before that, apparently, "I needed to go on the walking tour to learn about the history of the village." When he said he has worked here for 8 years, (he looks like he is about 22) and that I didn't know what I was talking about with who owned the "Waikikian" land prior to HGVC putting a timeshare on the land, I just about lost it. Then I mentioned the original Kalia mold issue and he said I was making that up, he was now sure I really didn't know what I was talking about.
"If their mouth is open, they are lying"....

rwctravel

Reaction score
We're at Kings Land this week, and had a similar experience. When we went to pick up our free tote bag from the concierge, they tried to get us to do an owners update. When they figured out we were a resale buyer, the concierge just dropped the subject and asked if we needed anything else.

If buying resale means I don't get pitched at every opportunity... :banana:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I am not able to find any information on the card you mentioned. I did a chat with Amex and they say they don't have such a card. Do you have any further information i.e. the name of that Amex card.

I didn't get the offer until I tried:
1) booking a Hilton reservation (free cancellation)
2) joined the Hilton Honors club (free)
3) when it was ready to request payment, I got this offer:

Hilton HHonorsTM Credit Card from American Express
Earn a $50 statement credit after your first purchase on the Card. Plus, earn 50,000 Hilton HHonorsTM Bonus Points
after you spend $750 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.

I applied for the card, spent more than $750, got a $50 statement credit, got 50,000 points credited to my HH account, and used those points to book 3 different hotel reservations. This all happened in less than 2 weeks. :whoopie: I just checked and the offer is still available when you follow steps 1-3. It also works if you're already a HH member.

fernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember. Someone has to buy retail (and take the loss) for the unit/points to be available for resale.

So... advise people to attend the presentation and buy!

And tell everyone to stay away from the Big Island. NOTHING to see here. Move along.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Thank you Dave!!!

- 112 years of $1600 MF

Aloha and Mahalo!

Of course the following does not change the overall cost savings calculations by nearly enough to reach a different conclusion, but you are comparing a 2BR to a 3BR as if they are the same thing. The savings on an equal comparison basis are smaller, but still huge.

Last edited:

vacationbear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course the following does not change the overall cost savings calculations by nearly enough to reach a different conclusion, but you are comparing a 2BR to a 3BR as if they are the same thing. The savings on an equal comparison basis are smaller, but still huge.

Well, that was exactly the point when I was first approached in the lobby of the LT: consolidate your two TS's into one which might even has a lower MF.

21k points would mean that is has to be a 3bd (or maybe a 2bd penthouse?) plus the coveted (and useless) Elite status.

I have to admit, Elite status at the LT would be somewhat useful for faster check-in/ -out and to get better rooms.

At Kings Land, by comparison, Elite status is 100% useless as far as I can tell based on our Jul 2015 visit.

Aloha