• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Elite status

rebels

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that you folks say that Elite status is not worth what you pay HGVC. I agree. But I found a way to get great price per point and get Elite status. I purchased 5,000 points resale from the HGVC rep at Club Regency (I had 7,400 before). The price was as good as resale and it counted for Elite status. The whole process took three weeks. They added the old and new points and now I am Elite with HHonors Gold status. So I got the best of both worlds.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I know that you folks say that Elite status is not worth what you pay HGVC. I agree. But I found a way to get great price per point and get Elite status. I purchased 5,000 points resale from the HGVC rep at Club Regency (I had 7,400 before). The price was as good as resale and it counted for Elite status. The whole process took three weeks. They added the old and new points and now I am Elite with HHonors Gold status. So I got the best of both worlds.

I like your idea and have purchased points from an HGVC rep in the past and have Elite Status. However, you say you have 7400 points and purchased 5000 points more. That is only 12400 points. YOu need 14000 points to get Elite Status.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was looking into the Elite benefits, it seems the second level would be the beginning of benefits that would have some value. What's your take on that?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was looking into the Elite benefits, it seems the second level would be the beginning of benefits that would have some value. What's your take on that?

To a very minor extent, that is true. However, when you look at the overall buy in, I'd still say the second level isn't worth it. The third level looks more interesting, but if anyone buys that many points, Hilton should really roll out a red carpet whenever they show up at a resort.

The nice benefits of elite are in the hotels and not in the timeshares. I get 2 bottles of water when I check into a hotel and sometimes cookies or a snack. I get free breakfast if it is hotel that has breakfast. When I check into the timeshares, once in a while, they give me room keys that say I am elite. Most of the time, they don't.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
To a very minor extent, that is true. However, when you look at the overall buy in, I'd still say the second level isn't worth it. The third level looks more interesting, but if anyone buys that many points, Hilton should really roll out a red carpet whenever they show up at a resort.

The nice benefits of elite are in the hotels and not in the timeshares. I get 2 bottles of water when I check into a hotel and sometimes cookies or a snack. I get free breakfast if it is hotel that has breakfast. When I check into the timeshares, once in a while, they give me room keys that say I am elite. Most of the time, they don't.

Interesting, Starwood works similarly. Highest level Elite is what is really worth getting. And, most of the benefits are in the hotel side. However, it seems like Starwood 5*Elites do have an edge over Hilton Elites in the TS side.

rebels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry I used the wrong number for my before. It was 12,400 which gave me 17,400 and Elite status. BTW the before number included a 2,400 Eagles Nest that I bought from the resort. Later a HGVC sales rep in Orlando said that only one resale from SW resort would work for Elite status and I needed to buy from him to get Elite status (of course at a high price and I did not bite). But as we say never believe a timeshare salesman. The second resale from Marco worked to get me Elite status.

rebels

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not buy for the Elite status, I wanted more time on Marco. But the Elite status comes with some benefits. I get HHonor Gold status, no fee on 7 day reservations, reduced fee on other reservations and 10% discount on Open season. Oh and a BIG benefit of a SPECIAL Elite phone number!

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

Is it typical for HGVC to offer resale points to upgrade your current ownership and obtain Elite Status?

gkbiiii

Reaction score
Interesting, Starwood works similarly. Highest level Elite is what is really worth getting. And, most of the benefits are in the hotel side. However, it seems like Starwood 5*Elites do have an edge over Hilton Elites in the TS side.

But on the Flyertalk Board, it is a common thought that their is little difference between Gold & Diamond. Gold is a great thing, with upgrades and free breakfast. I got this with my Founder's Card membership for $395 annual fee. It seems cheaper to me, than getting it through timeshare ownership.

gkbiiii

Reaction score
But on the Flyertalk Board, it is a common thought, that there is little difference between Gold & Diamond. Gold is a great thing, with upgrades and free breakfast. I got this with my Founder's Card membership for $395 annual fee. It seems cheaper to me, than getting it through timeshare ownership.

Anyway, food for thought!!

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
But on the Flyertalk Board, it is a common thought, that there is little difference between Gold & Diamond. Gold is a great thing, with upgrades and free breakfast. I got this with my Founder's Card membership for $395 annual fee. It seems cheaper to me, than getting it through timeshare ownership.

Anyway, food for thought!!

I agree, if you can get it via a $395 CC fee, then what's the point of offering it if you spend several tens of thousands...:hysterical::hysterical:

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's not much difference between Hilton Gold and Hilton Diamond. I'm a Hilton Diamond (based on hotel stays), but most of the perks I get are also available to Hilton Golds. My favorite perk is breakfast at Hilton Garden Inns. With Starwood, on the other hand, there is a pretty substantial difference between Gold and Platinum.

Also, you can get Hilton Gold MUCH cheaper and easier than $395/year. If you get the Citi Hilton Honors Reserve card for $95/year, you automatically get Hilton Gold status.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Is it typical for HGVC to offer resale points to upgrade your current ownership and obtain Elite Status?

It usually only the affiliate resorts that have a "resale" program that markets resale units. HGVC tends to just roll them back into their regular inventory and sell them.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
There's not much difference between Hilton Gold and Hilton Diamond. I'm a Hilton Diamond (based on hotel stays), but most of the perks I get are also available to Hilton Golds. My favorite perk is breakfast at Hilton Garden Inns. With Starwood, on the other hand, there is a pretty substantial difference between Gold and Platinum.

Also, you can get Hilton Gold MUCH cheaper and easier than $395/year. If you get the Citi Hilton Honors Reserve card for $95/year, you automatically get Hilton Gold status.

I am also Diamond through work travel, and I actively work to maintain it each year. I find there are few additional perks for Diamond, but most are on the soft side, like better access to the executive lounge, maybe better treatment... I like having it, but agree it may be better ways to obtain hotel status...

With all travel elite program the more you travel the more valuable it is... I am also Gold with Marriott Hotels, but only spend a few nights a year with them, so its not worth much to me personally...

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score

Not really typical. There are a couple ways people do it. One way is that to use your resale to trade in towards a developer purchase. That is the most common way. The other, more backdoor way is like how the OP did it and how I did it. Basically, I owned affiliates that weren't converted to Hilton already. I asked about getting them converted and was told if I made a developer purchase, they would convert all of my other weeks. Since I bought all the other weeks for prices of $1. - $1,000 each, it was still a significant savings to buy the developer week rather than dump all my weeks and buy resale HGVC. They totaled up to a point amount that ended up being elite. I did it to convert my weeks and not to gain elite status, which I didn't care about at all.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, so there is a difference between buying a resale HGVC developed property and an affiliate. What happens if you own a resale affiliate and you don't convert it? Does that prevent you from making reservations outside your home resort?

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
OK, so there is a difference between buying a resale HGVC developed property and an affiliate. What happens if you own a resale affiliate And you don't convert it? Does that prevent you from making Reservations outside your home resort?

Yes, you would not get HGVC points to use at other HGVC resorts. You could trade it in other systems though, for example I own a Seapointe week that is not converted, I can exchange it in GPX or RCI.

Sent from my iPad using the strange new version of Tapatalk

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting, the more I learn about HGVC the more convinced I am that they work very similarly and are very complementing property wise.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

When you say the price was as good as resale, what was the price? On ebay 5000 points weeks have gone for $1300-$4000 in the completed listings.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

HGVC itself does not operate a resale program. Only points acquired at full-freight from HGVC-sales, or acquired thru an independent-affiliate when a buyer affirmatively elects to activate a HGVC account, are counted toward elite status. Thus, independent affiliates can provide a back-door alternative to paying HGVC's retail prices.

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actively elect to activate means that you buy more points and as part of the purchase you activate your affiliate points, right?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actively elect to activate means that you buy more points and as part of the purchase you activate your affiliate points, right?

It did in my case, but people often buy The Bay Club for a couple hundred dollars and then convert to Hilton with no other purchase. It depends on the individual rules of the affiliate. They are all different.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the Bay Club have reasonable MF?

rebels

TUG Member
Reaction score
I paid $2,250 for 5,000 points. No worry about ROFR because it was with HGVC and the paperwork only took three weeks. Like I said what I really wanted was the points so we can spend more time on Marco Island. The Elite status was just an extra with a few benefits.