• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Stand-Alone GPS Devices Do That Smartphones Can't

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
What Stand-Alone GPS Devices Do That Smartphones Can't - by Eric A. Taub/ Personal Tech/ Gadgetwise/ International New York Times/ The New York Times/ nytimes.com

"Free smartphone navigation apps from Apple and Google offer turn-by-turn driving, walking and biking directions. And many new cars have the option of built-in navigation systems. So is there any longer a reason to buy a stand-alone GPS unit?

While smartphone navigation apps have some advantages, including limiting the number of devices one needs to buy and carry around, they also have some negatives.

For starters, smartphone screens are often tiny; those on dedicated GPS units can be almost twice the size.

In addition, navigation apps are processor-intensive, causing smartphones to heat up and the battery to run down faster than otherwise. The apps generally eat into a consumer’s data plan, as well.

When a call comes in, even if you answer it using hands-free Bluetooth, the smartphone map disappears for some period of time. And if you’re playing music on your smartphone, the songs cut out to make way for the voice prompts giving directions.

Those are reasons “customers want a product that’s fit for one purpose, something they can put on their windscreen,” said Corinne Vigreux, managing director of TomTom Consumer, one of the top GPS device makers..."

GADGET1-articleInline.jpg

Garmin
The Garmin Nüvi incorporates a dashcam and lane departure and collision warning systems.

Richard

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
My Garmin doesn't get much use anymore. For one thing, my phone will get me directions in most cases much quicker than I can start up the Garmin. I do take the Garmin on long driving trips and sometimes have both it and the phone going just to compare directions. My husband rolls his eyes when I'm looking at the paper map while both GPSs talk to him.

I don't worry about it much for short distances, but for more complicated trips, I've found it pays to have a good idea whether the GPS is steering you in some crazy wrong direction.

Sheila

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I like my Garmin for lane-assist, to show actual exits, while Waze just shows direction.
I like my Garmin for R/T distances to nearby restaurants, gas stations, rest stops, etc.
Yes, apps can do these things as well, but at least you don't have to switch btw. them.
I also like that I have one device with a heads-up display and another I can play with.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
I take the Garmin mostly because I like the phone free to be a phone and for data. I prefer to stick the GPS in the window and use it to lead me place to place. Remember points etc.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer the Garmin. Maybe it's a generational thing. Our grown kids are both in technology industry, and prefer their smartphones. So be it.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I like my Garmin for lane-assist, to show actual exits, while Waze just shows direction.

This is a great feature. FWIW, I like the TomTom software better for this feature, but I haven't seen the latest Garmin version. I bought the TomTom app for iPhone before Waze and other nav apps were released, and it's still available (along with Garmin). Both TomTom and Garmin cost about $50. A nice feature of the software is that unlike the physical Garmin and TomTom units, the software is not tied to a particular device, and you can download it in future on a new iOS unit, etc.

So if it's the software that you prefer, you can still save money and put it on a phone instead.

ETA: I just read the article, and it appears mostly like an advertisement. I'm also not in agreement with several of the reasons it lists for buying a GPS unit over using a nav app on a phone, as most are not applicable long-term. For instance:

- Europe is discussing new agreements to remove all roaming charges for all European mobile plans, and expect it to be in place within the next two or three years. To a certain extent this is already possible depending on your particular company, such as 3 from the UK as I've posted in other threads.

- Larger screens are nice, but not always. If you plan on mounting them above the dash or attach to the window, they will block more of your view. And if you just want a larger screen for about the same, or LESS, cost you can buy an Android or iPad mini, along with mount.

I like the lane departure warning and dash cam features, but it may be less expensive to buy other devices for that.

[note: I had a longer post here and when I went to edit tapa decided to delete the last section...I may return and fix it later but out of time...silly app]

Last edited:

tante

Reaction score
I was at Costco the other day and saw a huge display of gps devices. I was thinking to myself, who buys those thing anymore. I guess i have my answer now.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The most important capability of the dedicated GPS over a phone is that you don't need cell service for the GPS to guide you to your destination. I drove through a part of Wyoming to Jackson Hole last year and there were large part of the state where I received no cell coverage. My android/iPhone was useless for phone calls as well as mapping.

Overseas, the cost of 3G cell service could be prohibitive so you would also want a dedicated GPS in that situation as well.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
I much prefer my Garmin to either my iPhone or my new vehicles built in unit.

The first trip I took with the new car I also used the Garmin. We got to some intersection of the interstate in Ohio and the cars unit said go one way and the Garmin said go the other way. We followed the gar mins advice and got home in record time! I still use the cars built in one for local places I've never been to but, for road trips it's the Garmin hands down.

It's also great that I bought the lifetime updates for the Garmin several years ago. These auto manufacturers want to charge you more for updated map software than a new Garmin/TomTom cost!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The most important capability of the dedicated GPS over a phone is that you don't need cell service for the GPS to guide you to your destination. I drove through a part of Wyoming to Jackson Hole last year and there were large part of the state where I received no cell coverage. My android/iPhone was useless for phone calls as well as mapping.

Overseas, the cost of 3G cell service could be prohibitive so you would also want a dedicated GPS in that situation as well.

You don't need cell service for many nav apps, either. We've posted this info numerous times on TUG. Here's an old article that's still relevant about this, and a simple search online will show much more info:

http://www.cnet.com/news/can-dataless-smartphones-still-use-gps-navigation-apps/

Sent from my iPad

geekette

Reaction score
I like my Garmin. It's very easy to find Places Nearby which helps find restaurant, fuel, and the phone numbers for upcoming hotels. The view of intersection has been very helpful in some dicey situations where the road signs were unclear. Like also the speed limit display as sometimes when changing roads it can be a while before you know the speed.

Lifetime maps and traffic make this the last GPS I'll ever need.

I don't do anything with my cell phone but make calls and I plan to keep it that way.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I was at Costco the other day and saw a huge display of gps devices. I was thinking to myself, who buys those thing anymore. I guess i have my answer now.

Once my smart phone contract is up, I'll switch back to a dumb phone, assuming they're still being offered. I don't use any of the features of the Smart Phone EXCEPT the GPS feature. So I'll buy a GPS and save myself a few hundred bucks a year.

My Garmin also gives me the current speed limit, which is nice to have. My smart phone apps don't do this.

mtwingcpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Just as my Android phone hasn't caused me to give up my Garmin GPS, it also hasn't caused me to give up my Nikon digital camera. The phone is a nice all-in-one device that suffices on short trips when I don't take my own car, but I don't consider it to be a total replacement for the other devices.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My iPhone is a total replacement for almost everything, for me. It's my GPS (Google Maps is awesome, with just about real-time traffic), books, audiobooks, calendar, contacts, photos, camera, weather, email, web, stocks, restaurant finder, gas price finder, bank and card access, Apple Pay, movies, online shopping, travel details, dictionary, news, Facebook, running credit cards for my business, tracking mileage, games, remote for some of our TVs, to do lists, taking notes, and sometimes even making phone calls.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I just got back from the Berkshire mountains in MA and if it wasn't for the TomTom we wouldn't have been able to navigate in many places because of the lack of cell service, plus when we could get cell service we couldn't get 4G so many of the apps weren't working fast enough.

I'll keep my TomTom for now thank you very much! :p

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score

I was just in yellowstone last week. There were places with no cell towers and no signal, but the gps app still worked on my iPhone.

danrucker3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I couldn't say it any better...

Just as my Android phone hasn't caused me to give up my Garmin GPS, it also hasn't caused me to give up my Nikon digital camera. The phone is a nice all-in-one device that suffices on short trips when I don't take my own car, but I don't consider it to be a total replacement for the other devices.

I find the GPS function within the phone is a good aid; but not my primary for driving on trips out of my local area. I've had problems in the past when driving through rural areas or mountains where the phone's GPS loses signal or goes haywire, unlike the Garmin; which stays consistent and on track.

One thing my phone app has that my Garmin does not is traffic, so I'll take a quick peek at the traffic and use the phone to bypass clogged areas until the GPS takes over again.