• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagoon tower ocean front

ThierryJapan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Waikikian , Lagoon Tower
Dear Tuggers,

I am looking to buy a lagoon tower unit ocean front? I can see that a 2 br will go around 30k . Is it worthwhile in term of view or just an ocean view is sufficient?

Any other advices? Greatly appreciated

Thierry

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
If you want an unobstructed view and be the closest to the ocean of any room, you will want the 2br OF room. Nothing blocks your view of the pacific ocean. The OV rooms have a side view of the ocean. You view is not dead on straight but to the right or left.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

ThierryJapan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks

Dears,

Thanks for all the insight, ocean front is a must! Now a 2 br ocean front, what would be a fair price to pay?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Dears,

Thanks for all the insight, ocean front is a must! Now a 2 br ocean front, what would be a fair price to pay?

I purchased an EOY for $12.5K and saw an Annual on eBay for $23.5K that went unbid. So somewhere between $22K - $25K there should be a transaction available. It's a great unit, we love it.

Best,

Greg

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
My first developer purchase from HGVC in 2001, paid $19k for EOY gold season premier unit at Lagoon. Gregs numbers sound right.

I'm surprised you are looking at these, in the past haven't you focused on the high point Kings Land units?

Sent from my iPad using the strange new version of Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I have the problem of having more than enough points but th e problem of availability. You can see 2br OV at the 9 month mark but there are not usually the 2br premiere units at lagoon tower. If my vacation view is paramount and i had to buy airline seats I would not leave it to chance of club season bookings. Having enough points for the booking is half the answer. The other half is that there has to be a unit in the clubseason timeframe you want. I am not picky and just take what size unit is available at hhv for the time we want to go.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thats so true Frank, I use mine or rent it, cant imagine owning to use the points elsewhere and giving it up for the club pool. They do pop up occasionally like the penthouse units.

ThierryJapan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My first developer purchase from HGVC in 2001, paid $19k for EOY gold season premier unit at Lagoon. Gregs numbers sound right.

I'm surprised you are looking at these, in the past haven't you focused on the high point Kings Land units?

I was looking at kings land but at the end I really want to have a real ocean view thus buying an OF unit giving me the 12 month reservation window

ThierryJapan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagoon OF

I was looking at kings land but at the end I really want to have a real ocean view thus buying an OF unit giving me the 12 month reservation window

Just received an offer for 2br OF at lagoon tower for 29k, it seems on the high side?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

MattnTricia

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO I do not see the benefit of paying the premium for Ocean Front. We have used the extra points a couple of times but generally just prefer Plus units.

With an Ocean Front Unit it faces the ocean but you will still be staring at the marina and some parking lot in addition to your Ocean View.

I personally prefer the Plus units with views of the Ocean, Diamond Head and the Rainbow tower.

With that being said I would book a 3 bedroom unit anytime due its floor to ceiling views

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
IMO I do not see the benefit of paying the premium for Ocean Front. We have used the extra points a couple of times but generally just prefer Plus units.

With an Ocean Front Unit it faces the ocean but you will still be staring at the marina and some parking lot in addition to your Ocean View.

I personally prefer the Plus units with views of the Ocean, Diamond Head and the Rainbow tower.

With that being said I would book a 3 bedroom unit anytime due its floor to ceiling views

The Oceanfront units also have a side view of the Rainbow Tower and Diamond Head.
See our 2009 photos below from Lagoon Tower Oceanfront Room 1866
NOTE: For both Oceanfront and Plus units, you have to be on a high floor to see Diamond Head.

For those who don't know....
Plus Units in the Lagoon will either face Diamond Head/Rainbow tower or the Marina/Parking Lot/Ilikai Hotel.
Guests can make a request but there is no guarantee which side you will be on.

NOTE: Plus Units are the Oceanview (OV) units in the diagram below.

3-23floor_plan2.jpg

3695792802_1e540a049d_z.jpg

3694981203_944c0df65e_z.jpg

3694979175_2d50bfacaf_z.jpg

3694979699_76cc6e9074_z.jpg

3694980293_71e72f4b11_z.jpg

3694978517_252347db5a_z.jpg

ThierryJapan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dears,

Thank you for all details given including the pics. I really appreciated!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Dears,

Thank you for all details given including the pics. I really appreciated!

If you haven't stayed in the Lagoon Tower, here's what you need to know.

The Lagoon Tower rooms are definitely not fancy like the Grand Waikikian tower (that you own).
PROS: The Lagoon tower is the closest to the ocean (compared to the other timeshare towers at HHV), providing great views and offering the largest rooms. Lagoon Tower room layouts - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=701321&postcount=33
CONS: The Lagoon tower is a converted apartment building. There are no ceiling fans in the living room or bedrooms. All bathrooms have the old standard hotel style bathroom with one sink and a combined tub/shower. There are NO bathroom ventilation fans. There are no washer dryer in the room but there are washers & dryers in the building. The elevators are shared by everyone (guests, housekeeping, bell services, etc) which means longer elevator wait times during peak times of the day.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Views from the Plus units

Lagoon Tower Plus Unit views from the Diamond Head/Rainbow Tower side
Just wanted to share these views as well. They are great views too if the oceanfront is too pricey.

Additional HHV Albums can be found on my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/sets

View from Room 1763 from our 2010 photos

4467808275_6401f30d82_z.jpg

4468611946_9291e5df8b_z.jpg

View from Room 1063 from our 2013 photos
Not High Enough to see Diamond Head

8414572237_ee43e09e57_z.jpg

8415663758_627eb638b7_z.jpg

8414570869_e6ee5dde1d_z.jpg

View from the highest possible floor - Two Bedroom Penthouse Room 2463.
This is Two Bedroom Premier Room (not Plus)
from our
2009 photos

3687515283_ffcf1c79e4_z.jpg

HatTrick

Reaction score
You can have an ocean/marina view even from a "garden view" 2 Bedroom.

UnitAView.jpg

This view is from a "2 bed GV" unit, shown in the lower left corner of the image below.

3-23floor_plan2.jpg

Last edited:

ThierryJapan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Very comprehensive but

Dears Tuggers,

I am impressed by the amount of information we can get here, I love it.
Thank you for all the pictures posted, it is very clear!

Also including the pro and cons.

But would you still buy a lagoon tower unit knowing it has a lot of problems with termites. I do not want to start a new thread here as the termites subject have been covered.

I just wonder is it worth the money if whenever you go you have a high probability of getting bothered by it.

Again. Thanks for your opinion and it is always appreciated!

Thierry

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dears Tuggers,

I am impressed by the amount of information we can get here, I love it.
Thank you for all the pictures posted, it is very clear!

Also including the pro and cons.

But would you still buy a lagoon tower unit knowing it has a lot of problems with termites. I do not want to start a new thread here as the termites subject have been covered.

I just wonder is it worth the money if whenever you go you have a high probability of getting bothered by it.

Again. Thanks for your opinion and it is always appreciated!

Thierry

Termites definitely are a pest, but I've been fortunate and not had any issues with termites in 6 visits there. I am hopeful that, in time, the reported issues will decrease and I personally would not hesitate to buy another 2BR Premier.

Good luck -- and just my opinion only.

Best,

Greg

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The building is concrete, the termites were eating the furniture.

MattnTricia

TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC is a good company whose reputation is built on its properties.

With any timeshare that is 95% full throughout the year there is bound to be hit and miss examples of issues. I think HGVC is one of the best at dealing with these issues.

Being an Elite Premier Owner who uses a vast majority of his points at this resort I have never come across termites or any other significant enough maintenance issue that has caused me to either change rooms or even consider not wanting to return to the property. I have found routine maintenance to be handled quickly and with minimal disturbance to our trips.

The problem for most is that due to the cost of going to Hawaii the expectations are extremely high and even the smallest issues are blown out of proportion. I would admit that Termites would have derailed me a little bit as well but as long as it was handled properly by HGVC I would not have let it ruin my vacation.

ThierryJapan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you

Dear Tugger,

Thanks for all your insights. Mots l'île l'y i Will to for a OF or OV 2 br

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Just my two cents for those considering a HGVC Lagoon Tower purchase

Keep in mind, that you’re not stuck with your timeshare purchase forever.
If you buy and decide you don’t want it later for ANY REASON, you can always sell it.

From my previous experience, I believe the Lagoon Tower tries to provide home resort owners with the best rooms whenever possible (based on check-in availability).

Perhaps if my husband and I were staying via a HGVC reservation as Lagoon Tower owners vs a RCI exchange reservation via a non-HGVC resort, we would never have been assigned a unit at the backend of the building and relocation to a different unit would have been completed much earlier during our one week stay instead of having to endure the nightly termite swarming until the 6th day of our stay. It wasn’t until the morning of the 6th day after we posted a video and photos of our termite issue on HGVC’s Facebook page that the Resort Manager acknowledged our Lagoon Tower ownership and moved us to the highest floor in the unit type that we own (Two Bedroom Oceanfront - Room 2366).

I can honestly tell you, I wasn’t prepared for this situation and final came to TUG out of desperation – see link. Thankfully a TUG member suggested that I use social media to bring attention to my issue which actually helped us get moved that same day.

If you decide to buy a Lagoon Tower unit, I suggest having a plan just in case you’re in a similar situation where you want to change your room but management has no alternate rooms to offer. Your plan could include a list of alternate accommodations that you might try to book last minute, what you might ask for in terms of compensation, escalation steps you would take with HGVC while you’re still at the resort, etc.
NOTE: Lagoon Tower has a 98% occupancy rate year round.

OUR DECISION
We fell in love with the Hilton Hawaiian Village back in 2000 during our first visit and had many wonderful stays with lots of photos & memories. You can find our various Hilton Hawaiian Village photos over the last decade on FLICKR – see link.

Our next Lagoon Tower EOY usage is not until 2017, so we have time to make a final decision regarding our EOY oceanfront Lagoon Tower week. So far, our discussions have been around selling. We’re currently in the process of selling one of our three HGVC weeks (this month we signed our SeaWorld deed over to the new owner and sent it to the closing company). We previously used all three weeks for timeshare stays at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Our timeshare purchases have mainly provided us with a way to travel with extended family members otherwise a hotel room for just the two of us is fine. We don’t want to be responsible for supplying alternate accommodations & unplanned meals out for our guests if something goes wrong again.

For the three separate termites incidents (all on the Lagoon Tower penthouse floor), we were given the same canned response from the resort manager that the termites must have flew in from the outside (maybe corporate has given them direction to respond this way). This severe termite issue has put us over the edge and our trust in Hilton to provide reliable accommodations at the Lagoon Tower is severely broken. We sent questions for the Annual Owners meeting to gain an understanding on the specific actions HGVC was taking to address pest control however we were given vague answers – see link. Based on their response, we can’t tell if HGVC is taking a more aggressive approach since our previous incidents in 2010 and 2014. As a result it's hard determine what members can expect in the future.

My overall thoughts on HGVC are capture on the SURPRISED thread – see link.

Regarding Formosan termites

I can tell you that the floor seriously slopes in the upstairs master bedroom of the two story three bedroom penthouse unit in the Lagoon Tower (Room 2472/2473) which makes me wonder if this is due to termites (instead of bad construction).

I’ve read that Formosan termite colonies have been found on the top floors of concrete high-rises in Hawaii and Miami, supported by the moisture from leaking water tanks.

The swarmers which we saw this past September are winged termites called alates that take flight to mate and start new colonies. When it grows large enough, a single colony may produce up to 70,000 alates. These alates will then swarm away to form new colonies. The females fly off first, immediately searching for nesting sites, with males following shortly thereafter.

Building-a-colony.jpg

From this 2001 article titled "Terror of Termites"- http://archives.starbulletin.com/2001/06/29/features/index.html,

“…Termites are the most harmful insects in Hawaii, causing more than $100 million worth of damage each year. Hawaii's major wood-eating nemesis is the Formosan subterranean termite, a Chinese native that flies, swarms in vast clouds and munches through concrete, bricks or mortar to reach wood, chewing through many other materials, including insulation around underground electrical lines, and causing power outages.”

From this 2014 article titled "Hawaii offers grim warning" - http://www.nola.com/environment/index.ssf/2014/05/hawaii_offers_grim_warning.html

“…Landing at least a century earlier than their mainland kin, the Formosans are everywhere in Hawaii, even more enmeshed in the culture and infrastructure of the islands than they are in New Orleans. The state’s drawn-out battle with Formosan termites offers a frightening window on the future for Louisiana and other sites where the termites are relative newcomers.

The worst pest in a state inundated with pests, Formosans are warded off with ancient Shinto chants and the latest in baiting technology, written into building codes and budgets and the subject of ongoing lawsuits. Anti-termite building techniques are years ahead of those on the mainland, yet Formosans persist.

The termites arrived in Honolulu early in the 19th century, possibly by way of the islands’ sandalwood trade with China. At first they spread slowly through Oahu, the most heavily populated island, and during this century have jumped to all the other islands in the archipelago.

…Formosans infest entire neighborhoods, the campus of the University of Hawaii, and buildings at Honolulu’s airport, military installations, government offices and other historic structures. Many high-rise hotels in the bustling tourist district of Waikiki have Formosan infestations in their upper floors. Termites routinely hit utility poles, forcing the power company to install replacements with a special termite-proof barrier wrapped around the bottom.

…Unaware of termite-proofing methods or unwilling to pay for them, some developers find their new homes, shopping malls and office buildings infested even before they’re completed.

In Ewa Beach, an area west of Honolulu, termites apparently feeding on buried sugar cane debris invaded housing developments and malls built on old cane fields and are doing costly damage.

Shoddy building practices also take a toll. With everything including land and materials about 50 percent more expensive than on the mainland, builders and buyers are always looking to cut corners.

…Despite the technology available to stop the pests, termite damage persists. People don’t talk much about termites and don’t want to advertise infestations to their neighbors. As workers ran a buzz saw in their yard and rebuilt their damaged front steps, the Yamamotos found themselves regretting that they hadn’t paid more attention and searched for telltale mud tubes.

‘‘It’s like a disease: Until you get hit by it and have to go to the doctor, you don’t pay attention. Hawaiians wait until they get hit, then they panic,’’ said Julian Yates, an extension entomologist at the University of Hawaii.

That’s one reason why longtime termite observers think Hawaii’s problems are far from over. ‘‘It’s going to get worse before it gets better,’’ Tamashiro said, ‘‘because it’s still spreading.’’

We had three separate instances with termites during our Lagoon Tower stays:
- minor termite issue for one day in room 2467 (Feb 2010)
- minor termite issue for one day in room 2461 (Sept 2014)
- severe termite issue spanning multiple days in room 2472/2473 (Sept 2014)

In addition to my three separate termite incidents on the Lagoon Tower penthouse floor (2010 & 2014), there have been several reported incidents on tripadvisor over the years.

Incident documented on TripAdvisor

Oct 2013 - http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...ge-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT
On arrival (room 2065) we enjoyed the excellent view and the slightly-better-than-average room furnishings. Mostly a very good impression.

On the 2nd morning, we had been attacked by an infestation of termites. They were literally crawling all over the guest bathroom - in the sink, the tub, over the light fixtures and the counter. They were crawling their nasty little bodies into our travel kits as they hoped for a journey back to the mainland. All together distasteful.

Upon complaint, management came in and sprayed poison (while we were in occupancy!) into the bathroom. This helped for approximately 30 minutes, and then the insects reappeared. On further complaint, hotel management agreed to move us.

The second unit, 2365, had no such infestation. Unfortunately, it had a totally outdated air conditioning system (the same as the first unit) .....To add to this, we noted huge amounts of mold visible in the vents. "

HGVC Mgmt Response on Tripadvisor
In regards to the renovation and maintenance, we are on a continuous rotation of renovations and maintenance upgrades, and Hilton Grand Vacations Cub has been and continues working with the Lagoon Tower Owner’s Association’s board and have already worked out a renovation schedule which was delayed for one year due to issues within the board, and HGVC is doing all renovations on schedule with them. In terms of the mold in AC, I have already instructed the maintenance department to reassess not only the AC maintenance, but other mechanical and plumbing related issues as well. I have also instructed our housekeeping department to conduct a thorough inspection of the property to pinpoint other possible termite problems. As Hawaii is a termite hotspot which all properties from homes to condominiums to hotels are dealing with on a constant basis, we are getting better and better.​

March 2011 - http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...on_Hawaiian_Village-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html
Termites...yes...and other things about which to complain too.

We had booked a timeshare exchange over 8 months ago for this property--a 2 bedroom condo. Upon check-in, electricity was off in 3 of the rooms, and the smoke alarm was beeping (needed a battery). This was fixed within a couple hours. When getting ready for bed, we shut the drapes in the living room, opened the pull-out couch, and lo and behold, the room was literally swarming with flying insects, about 3/4 inch long, dropping their wings then falling everywhere. All surfaces were covered with insects! First call to front desk yielded a forward to housekeeping--we were told they were termites. Housekeeper arrived quickly and armed with vacuum and bug spray. Before she arrived, however, we had decided that we could not stay in this room! Even if it were fumigated, I didn't want my young children exposed to the spray. We're not talking a critter or two--they were hundreds, all over the room. We noticed pin-holes in the lampshades (which told us this wasn't new). The room needed serious attention. My call to the manager was blocked by a secretary (?) who wouldn't put me through.. Eventually after a few more calls, the Sunday night manager called back and agreed to come see the room and to look for another room for us. When she arrived and was shown all the dead bugs on the table (they had ceased flying by this time), she shrugged and said "I'm sorry". She got onto her computer at her desk, called us back, and offered us a couple options--none equal (or better) to our room. In fact, we were placed at a much lower level, which impeded our "ocean view" (that's a stretch even on the higher floor). We had to completely re-pack all our things, empty the fridge, and hike it all down--at bedtime for the kids ....

Apri 2010 - http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...on_Hawaiian_Village-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html
REALLY bad: Be forewarned!!! We had TERMITES in our room. There was a hole underneath the sink and at least 50 flew in, shed their wings, and moved on or died on the bathroom floor. Communicated with management and they initially tried to play it off by just sending someone to clean it. No bueno

There is lots of information on the web, Just search the internet for “Formosan termites.
Here are a few articles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formosan_subterranean_termite
http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/environment/insects/Termites/formosan_termites/supertermites/index.htm
http://www.mypmp.net/2014/04/17/fact-vs-fiction-formosan-termites/
http://pesticides.hawaii.edu/studypackets/termite.html
http://www.jcehrlich.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-formosan-subterranean-termites/
http://www.termite.com/termites/termites-hawaii.html
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/oct98/term1098.pdf
http://www.cabi.org/isc/datasheet/15284
http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/animals/fst.shtml
http://www.issg.org/database/species/ecology.asp?si=61&fr=1&sts=sss

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for all of the research, that's an interesting problem. I wonder how you permanently rid a building a termites once they establish themselves? It's not like you can tent a building.

I hope they solve the problem (and that you keep your week!). I would think it's only a matter of time until they spread to other buildings too.

Best,

Greg

ThierryJapan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Final decision

Dear Tuggers

Following all your comments and looking what is on the market, I am trying to buy through judyko 8400 points 2 br OV for 14k

Let s see