• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canadian Government issues warning re Puerto Vallarta

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just going to post this. Sad that another area of Mexico is being ruined by drug lords fighting over territory. I was hoping to go back to the region sometime. You'd likely be fine if you don't venture too far afield.

Joan

Zib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a very good friend who lives there and I am emailing her to see what's up there? Will post when/if I get an answer from her.

travs2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Travel Warnings to PV

Yes, if anyone has any information to pass along here on TUG it would be great. Such a wonderful place.....sure hope this doesn't get too out of hand to affect travel there. Is there anyone else in PV right now? Would love to hear from you!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It appears that last Friday, the cartel brought down a military helicopter carrying 18 soldiers with a RPG of their own manufacture. Here is a video: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/video/drug-cartel-shoots-down-mexican-military-helicopter/vi-BBjcBnj That said, (with remembrance of drug cartel problems elsewhere in Mexico) my own humble opinion is that the druggies know that attacking tourists minding their own business would be their undoing. I'd go, but probably not wander into 'certain' areas at night and be prepared to flee into the relative safety of the tourist area and resorts with their attendant security.

Jim

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It was talked about on the radio again this morning. Sounded like people were being told to stay in their resorts and not even venture into the tourist areas. The radio announcer made it sound like the violence was literally within blocks of the resorts. I love Mexico and am sometimes there on my own for a few days. I always rent a car and go with a very confident attitude wherever I have been but this does not sound good. I hope they get control of this situation quickly or more good hard working Mexican people will be hurt by this. On the news again gas stations banks etc are being targeted. Saying don't do excursions. I know I would not want to be renting a car and venturing out on my own. Main roads were blocked even in PV.

Joan

Last edited:

herillc

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is very sad.
Just booked PV for next spring break week.
It was one of the places on my bucket list...

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We were in the PV area for 5 weeks this last winter. We also drove to Mazatlan from Nuevo Vallarta for 10 days. I didn't notice anything unusual or dangerous.

We drove almost every day while we were in PV and NV. We enjoyed all of the little cities north of Nuevo Vallarta. Sayulita was always packed with tourists. Guyabitos was very busey as well.

We saw many Canadian owned vehicles in the area. Trucks, motor homes and trailers that were tourist owned.

We never felt unsafe even at night in PV, NV, Bucerias or Mazatlan. We were in Mazatlan for their Carnival and stayed out until 2-3 am a couple of nights. No problems.

Bill

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Sorry to say, but this was somewhat predictable. I've canceled all trips to Mexico in the last few years and have no intention of returning anytime soon. My posts were criticized by many of you when I expressed concern about traveling to Mexico, and it's clear that reality is unfortunately worse than many of you want to believe.

Given the choice, I'm going to Hawaii in place of Mexico every time for now. Mexico needs to get its house in order, and I see no reason to visit during their troubles.

Sent from my iPad

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I was at Raintree Puerto Vallarta 21-28 April and had a great time. We did the Vallarta Eats tour of Old Town, two Vallarta Adventures trips to Las Caletas and Yelapa, walked the Malecon and the beaches, shopped the markets and no problems whatsoever except the ubiquitous beach vendors. :D

Glad I didn't go to Baltimore instead of PV.:rolleyes:

Cheers

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that for gringo- looking tourists, in the resort zones, there will be no difficulties. Yes, there are skirmishes between government troops and quasi militant drug cartels. Be vigilant. If you see/hear signs of violence, go the other way.

Avoid Baltimore.

Jim

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
This is what we are hearing in Toronto

It was talked about on the radio again this morning. Sounded like people were being told to stay in their resorts and not even venture into the tourist areas. The radio announcer made it sound like the violence was literally within blocks of the resorts... ...On the news again gas stations banks etc are being targeted. Saying don't do excursions. I know I would not want to be renting a car and venturing out on my own. Main roads were blocked even in PV.

Banks and gas stations were attacked, not just military and police facilities. It doesn't look like tourists are being targeted, but the terrorists don't appear to be trying to minimize "collateral damage" either.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
This last narco conflict was near Guadalajara. Not Puerto Vallarta, which is about a 5 hours drive from the narco conflict.

To claim Puerto Vallarta is unsafe because of a conflict 5 hours away is about the same as claiming that one should not go to California because of gang violence in Oakland.

Bill

CURIOUS1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in PV at Vallarta Torres from April 18-25 & Canto del Sol from April 25-May 2. While eating outside in the snack area on Friday, May 1st, we saw a military helicopter fly over the ocean. That was probably the helicopter that got shot down. We were not warned by the resort to stay inside. Our Mexican family that lives in PV were visiting with us at the time and when they were leaving, we asked for a taxi so they didn't have to walk to catch the bus. There were no taxis in sight in front of the resort and that was strange but the bell boys didn't comment. My husband actually walked to the end of the block to hail a taxi. We always vacation for two weeks in PV and will continue to vacation there. We don't normally venture out since our resorts have a kitchen and we do groceries & sometimes eat on the resort.

Last edited:

garzagoer

TUG Member
Reaction score
We arrived April 25, spent rthe first week at GM Nuevo then moved to Garza Blanca. My wife actually heard about this a few days ago and now we understand how the news can really blow things out of proportion. Yes there was trouble in the state of Jalisco between the government and the Jalisco cartel.
The reports are correct about the shooting down of the military chopper. In Puerto Vallarta there was a bank burned down according to a local. There was a very strong military presence over the May 1st weekend, as can be expected.
Other than the many police and very intimidating military vehicles patrolling the streets of PV ,we saw nothing out of the ordinary. We take the Misloyma bus to reach Romantic zone and yesterday to go to Bocca for breakfast on the beach, and did see 3 military personnel on the beach taking pictures. They were actually friendly and greeted us with "Good Morning" , yes in English. I almost fell off my chair:rofl:
We are leaving Saturday for home and YES planning January's trip already :D

ValHam

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am staying at Villa Del Palmar - this is my 3rd week at Villa Del Palmar - I do not feel safe here anymore - I heard they were shooting in Soriana a few days ago - another guest here told me she ran for her life along with everyone else shopping. for groceries - lots of police - lots of helicopters -

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney canceled their cruise stop May 10, Celebrity canceled their stop May 11, Royal Caribbean canceled their stop May 10. All are citing civil unrest. as a reason. Carnival is going forward with their stops in PV, but are canceling some shore excursions.

kpeiper

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going at the end of June. Hopefully will all be quiet . Staying at Grand Luxxe in Nuevo Vallarta but want to go into PV without concern. Keep the updates coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got an email response from my friend in Puerto Vallarta today. She said there definitely WAS trouble on May 1st between the Govt. and the drug cartels. She works for the Govt in P.V. But because she doesn't speak English very well and I don't speak Spanish, I couldn't understand much of what she was tying to say except that Puerto Vallarta WAS involved and it was very scary, but she said " they finally came to an "agreement" I don't know what she meant by that, tho. Maybe just stopped fighting?
Anyway, I'm still planning on going on our annual trip there next Feb unless she tells me not to, at that time, but hopefully it will quiet down by then. Does make me nervous tho. She might visit us here in July, if she can make the plans so maybe I'll find out more. If so, I'll post more then. She can speak English better than she can write it, but hopefully things will quitet down by then.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'm amazed that some of you aren't concerned enough about visiting certain parts of Mexico to question your trip. So, I have to ask the question: what would it take for you to cancel and book a different destination?

Sent from my iPad

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
I'm amazed that some of you aren't concerned enough about visiting certain parts of Mexico to question your trip. So, I have to ask the question: what would it take for you to cancel and book a different destination?

Sent from my iPad

It would take a lot more than that incident. For a while, I will probably stay more in the Nuevo local area rather than venture into downtown PV - at least until we understand the ongoing situation.

We also keep things in perspective. Every day in the USA, there are crimes of opportunity happening to unsuspecting people. There are lots of bad people feeling entitled to harm others and take what others have - and that is everywhere - and certainly we have areas that are mostly gang controlled and more dangerous.

In Mexico, I believe (but have no real data) that there is much less of crimes of opportunity against tourists or others. Certainly there is a drug cartel issue that must get resolved, but tourists are not targeted. IMHO, the odds of getting involved in a specific drug incident in Mexican tourist towns is too small to let it dictate my travel choices.

Now, if the drug cartel decides to take the terrorist route of blowing up resorts to make their points, I will stop going. But then, where would I go?

Mike

Last edited:

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent a message to a Mexican friend who lives part time in Puerto Vallarta and is active politically there. She told me that it was mostly outside of the city, although I did read in a local paper that there was an evacuation of Caracol Mall, across from major hotels and timeshares. BUT she asked me to assure everyone that NOTHING will happen in the tourist zone at all.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

Sent from my iPad

I was in LA during the riots, DC during the demonstrations, London several times when the IRA was blowing things up and not in Baltimore or Ferguson or Boston during last years Marathon.

Unless it's an active war zone, if I want to go, I will. S*** happens everywhere and I'm just as likely to be run over by a bus in downtown Cincinnati as shot or blown up by the Narco Cartels in Puerto Vallarta. :D

Cheers

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in our 4th week of a 24 week stay in Mexico. We have driven from Tucson to Mazatlan 3 times in this time due to a recurrence of a bladder stone. I feel much safer here that in many areas of Tucson, or any major city in the US. I you feel the need to stay home, do what you feel is right, but since you are unfamiliar with Mexico, please quit posting histrionics.

Greg

Sent from my iPad