• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A New HGVC Issue, Coffee Makers

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Standard Traditional Coffee Maker is my choice

There have been many thoughts expressed here about the coffee makers as well as the resort providing or not providing the coffee pods, and the payment of the coffee pods. However, while I started this thread I have nothing to do with the decision. HGVC will be making the decision and I don't know when that will happen. As I said earlier, I was always very comfortable in getting my first nights coffee complimentary and then buying whatever coffee I wanted at any store after the first night. I like my coffee stronger and more volume than these 1 cup Pods provide. I don't like spending more money than I have in the past for a short (smaller than I want) weak cup of coffee.

letsgosteelers

TUG Member
Reaction score
The whole idea of TS is family travel, fully equipped kitchens etc.

K cups...really?

I want to brew a pot, not individual cups of coffee, plain and simple!

replace computer with keurig :crash::crash::crash:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
while I am not a fan of K-Cups, i know many of friends and co-workers seem to love them.. so for some this might be considered a significant upgrade..

TTom

Reaction score
We tend to brew coffee when travelling, but we usually do Keurig at home. While the Keurig is convenient, I hear what people are saying about the environment. We may be missing something, but the reusable pods NEVER made a decent cup of coffee, no matter what grind or blend we used or how much coffee we put in them. They seem to combine the mess of ground coffee without the taste to back it up.

That having been said, Club Regency supplies pretty much enough coffee filters to last a week making two pots a day. For the rest of our travels, I wish other resorst would do the same, since we have bought any number of boxes of coffee filters when we needed only a few.

I used to pack some of each type, but I have gotten out of the habit.

One thing I do NOT expect is for the resorts to supply coffee (or tea or OJ or water or...), even for the first night, although that would be a nice perk. I can see where that would become expensive over the long haul.

What's next? Bring your own toilet paper?

I guess Hilton can get a great price on machines (and, maybe even coffee) if they standardize across all the resorts, but I would not be a fan of this change.

Tom

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Coffee filters for standard pots

We tend to brew coffee when travelling, but we usually do Keurig at home. While the Keurig is convenient, I hear what people are saying about the environment. We may be missing something, but the reusable pods NEVER made a decent cup of coffee, no matter what grind or blend we used or how much coffee we put in them. They seem to combine the mess of ground coffee without the taste to back it up.

That having been said, Club Regency supplies pretty much enough coffee filters to last a week making two pots a day. For the rest of our travels, I wish other resorst would do the same, since we have bought any number of boxes of coffee filters when we needed only a few.

I used to pack some of each type, but I have gotten out of the habit.

One thing I do NOT expect is for the resorts to supply coffee (or tea or OJ or water or...), even for the first night, although that would be a nice perk. I can see where that would become expensive over the long haul.

What's next? Bring your own toilet paper?

I guess Hilton can get a great price on machines (and, maybe even coffee) if they standardize across all the resorts, but I would not be a fan of this change.

I also pack coffee filters for the standard coffee makers. However, over the last few years we have had gold filters for the coffee maker in the Lagoon Tower when in Hawaii and paper filters provided by the resort for all the days that we stay in other timeshares.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I also pack coffee filters for the standard coffee makers. However, over the last few years we have had gold filters for the coffee maker in the Lagoon Tower when in Hawaii and paper filters provided by the resort for all the days that we stay in other timeshares.

I found the gold filters at the Flamingo last week, and pretty sure we had them in Marbrisa earlier this fall. I just wish they would keep the regular coffee makers and use the gold filters..

More regular hotels are going to k-cups, so perhaps this is more of corporate change, though i would think HGVC has different demographics than a typical hotel..

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
K cups can be purchased at Aldi's for about $.20 each. Pretty cheap for a cup of good coffee brewed quickly.

And, why isn't everyone putting the used cups in the recycle bins?

TTom

Reaction score
Not sure k-cups are recyclable unless you empty the coffee grounds. Are they? Do you know something I don't know? I certainly wouldn't mind recycling them.

What kind of k-cups can you get at Aldo's for $.20@? Don't know where (or if) there is an Aldo's in the NYC area, but that sounds like an outrageous price. We are happy under $1, at this point.

Tom

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not sure k-cups are recyclable unless you empty the coffee grounds. Are they? Do you know something I don't know? I certainly wouldn't mind recycling them.

What kind of k-cups can you get at Aldo's for $.20@? Don't know where (or if) there is an Aldo's in the NYC area, but that sounds like an outrageous price. We are happy under $1, at this point.

Tom

https://www.yellowmap.de/Partners/A...sionGuid=3c9ab947-5ad3-4214-af5d-d457ff64f075

https://www.aldi.us/en/services/store-locator/

Prices vary from location to location. My daughter just bought a couple 12 packs for $2.39 each in the Cleveland area.

My daughter throws the cups in the recycle bin, with the grounds and some don't have residue in them. I'll check today to see if the little triangle is on the cups or not and report back.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
K Cup Prices, Locations, and the HGVC Choice

https://www.yellowmap.de/Partners/A...sionGuid=3c9ab947-5ad3-4214-af5d-d457ff64f075

https://www.aldi.us/en/services/store-locator/

Prices vary from location to location. My daughter just bought a couple 12 packs for $2.39 each in the Cleveland area.

My daughter throws the cups in the recycle bin, with the grounds and some don't have residue in them. I'll check today to see if the little triangle is on the cups or not and report back.

$2.39 for 12 pack is certainly a good price. The HGVC at the Hokolani was charging $8 for an 8 pack. Putting aside my preference for a standard coffee pot with the guest providing there own coffee to make the desired volume and strength of coffee, which is the current standard. Some of the concerns that I have are: What coffee pot will HGVC select? Will the pods for the selected coffee pot be readily available locally(walkable) for a good price in all cities that have resorts? For Convenience, will the resorts sell the pods to guests at cost, rather than making what seems to be a high profit? Will HGVC make the Associations put in their budget the cost of providing free pods to all guests?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
My sister-in-law switched from a single-serve reservoir Keurig to this model which brews single cups or 4-cup carafes. Would people like switching from a regular coffeemaker to a Keurig if this model is made available? (I don't know if a re-usable pod is available yet in the larger carafe size.)

TTom

Reaction score
Looks like it could be a winner, IF they come up with a viable "reusable" option for the pods (hopefully, work better than the k-cup version) and, from my perspective, when Starbucks gets their act together to produce carafe pods.

This is a really nice option.

Best of all possible worlds (maybe, someone will build it) would be a machine which combined k-cups for singles and standard drip for people who like to brew pots. That would be pretty awesome.

Tom

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

So the recycle triangle on the boxes fooled me. There are two, one with a diagonal line through it.

The box the cups come in are OK, the plastic cups are not.

This was the Aldi brand, I'm not sure about the others. I suspect the impact of those thin cups isn't significant but for sure more so than one paper filter for 10 cups of coffee.

oneohana

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found that bringing the right filters was always a hit or miss. I either bring the wrong on, or not bring them at all.

I just bring the basket type. If it is a cone type, I flatten it and fold one end. Just have to make a smaller pot of coffee.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Filters: We never remember to bring 'em, and end up buying more.
Our pantry must have a 4 -6 bags of filters behind some other stuff.

I'm stuck on Jamaican Blue Mountain. I know it comes in K-cups.
But I'm a whole bean person and prefer doing the grinding myself.

TTom

Reaction score
Hmmm...

Never seen Jamaican Blue Mountain in K-Cups, but we have been pretty much stuck on Starbucks recently. Have found Anniversary, Christmas and Guatemala Antigua very good. Used to do House Blend and Sumatra.

I tend to like their special blends (Casi Cielo, Thanksgiving). There are some other special blends that we haven't gotten to try, but...

We used to like Tully's Kona, even though it was only 10%, but that's long gone.

Tom

bdj604

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister-in-law switched from a single-serve reservoir Keurig to this model which brews single cups or 4-cup carafes. Would people like switching from a regular coffeemaker to a Keurig if this model is made available? (I don't know if a re-usable pod is available yet in the larger carafe size.)

If HGVC decides to go the Keurig route, I would strongly prefer the 4 cup maker. We usually get a two bedroom unit and have four people around the breakfast table and would prefer to make our usual 10 cup pot for breakfast rather than standing at the Keurig for individual cups to start and again for seconds.

My preference is to stay with the regular coffee pots.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am an owner and not a coffee drinker. Currently, units have one regular and one decaf package of coffee. I don't know how many cups they make, but it's only enough for one morning unless you drink both kinds.

We just had that at Bay Club. One of each. I'm a coffee drinker, mrs. brp is not. A pot is too much, but the bag they supply lasts one day as I'll not drink the same brew the next day.

I called the front desk for more bags and they brought enough for the whole stay, no charge.

Cheers.

HatTrick

Reaction score
Keurig 2.0 Locks Out All Other Pods

The Rogers Coffee Company (Lincoln, CA), coffee roasters who among other products, makes biodegradable single-serve coffee pods for use in the Keurig Green Mountain's single-serve coffee machines, is one of more than a dozen coffee-makers and other businesses suing Keurig over what they claim is Keurig's unfair trade efforts to shut out competing single-serve coffee rivals.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/science/...share-grows-so-does-environmental-6138298.php

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
Yep, the new "2.0" Keurig machines lock out any of the gold filters, aftermarket (Aldi) pods. They have an optical reader on the filter basket they looks for the official Keurig logo around the rim of the pod. You can peel it off one of the pods and glue it to the filter basket to trick it, but it's a PITA. I recommend investing in a portal coffee press, like the top rated Aerobie AeroPress.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like the 'nice' people at Keurig Green Mountain Coffee are using all the technology they can to keep up the insane profitability of the Keurig brand. I'm sure they won't miss my contribution, but I'll spend my coffee money elsewhere.

Jim

shawng828

Reaction score
FWIW, I don't have a problem with the Hokulani model. 1st day coffee should be complimentary. Additional Pods for a fee, and I'm ok with it being higher than a what you could purchase at a store. There is a price for convenience.

If I want more, I can either purchase thru the resort or go to the grocery store and buy a box. Also, I like Keurig so I see a move to this type of coffee maker as a good one.

We stayed at Hokulani in February - had a nice time overall. That being said, Hokulani went with the Tassimo line of pod brewers - couldn't find the pods at any of the stores I tried, though K-cups were everywhere. Annoying. We ended up using Starbucks Vista pouches by the end of our trip.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We stayed at Hokulani in February - had a nice time overall. That being said, Hokulani went with the Tassimo line of pod brewers - couldn't find the pods at any of the stores I tried, though K-cups were everywhere. Annoying. We ended up using Starbucks Vista pouches by the end of our trip.

That could turn out to be an annoying twist... adding a different less popular pod style, makes it even harder to brew a few cups in the morning..

MikeinSoCal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a coffee drinker, but my wife is and that's why I opened this thread. What's the maintenace on these Keurigs? We have one and it's only my wife who uses it. Since we've owned it, she's done the vinegar clense two or three times. With these machines being used more often, are they being properly cleaned? Maybe my wife goes overboard with the cleaning. I'm not sure. What's the maintenance on a regular coffee brewer?