• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are You Team White & Gold or Team Blue and Black?

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
The Dress

The first two tweets I saw were white and gold. From then on I saw blue and black. On the television I saw blue and black while my husband, viewing the same screen as I, insisted it was white and gold. Interesting!

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Blue and Black. Saw it on local news last night, they showed 3 versions of the picture. They all looked blue and black, but there was a gold cast on one of the pictures.

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I just read an article which described the dress as royal blue. It goes on to say however, in one photo with strongly yellow-toned backlighting, the dress appeared white/gold to some and blue/black to others.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Not only is this optical illusion fascinating, it's a case study in social media! Wow, the way this thing spread like wildfire AND incited so many to argue about it is phenomenal! I'm still seeing white/gold in the original pic that I first saw, but the pic with the bride and groom turned me upside down.

(And now something else to vent about - I WISH the trend of strapless wedding gowns would die. Just die. Or at the very least, the designers should stop shaping them as if every woman has a Jessica Rabbit-like hourglass figure. News flash: none do! If I never have to work on another it will be a miracle.)

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I'm team white/gold. According to the Wired article I read about it that means my brain is perceiving it as though it's in full sunlight at about noon. My hubby is team black/blue but he can actually see it the other way sometimes. My view never shifts, his does. The Wired article suggests that he's more of a night owl and his brain is perceiving the dress as being lit with artificial light at night.

For more on how our brains process 2D images of 3D objects and other illusions, watch Brain Games. It's on Netflix.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I see a clever marketing gimmick.:confused:

Had nothing to do with marketing - it started off as someone's personal wedding picture (see post #29):

NEW YORK TIMES: The mother of the bride wore white and gold. Or was it blue and black?

From a photograph of the dress the bride posted online, there was broad disagreement. A few days after the wedding last weekend on the Scottish island of Colonsay, a member of the wedding band was so frustrated by the lack of consensus that she posted a picture of the dress on Tumblr, and asked her followers for feedback.

“I was just looking for an answer because it was messing with my head,” said Caitlin McNeill, a 21-year-old singer and guitarist.

Within a half-hour, her post attracted some 500 likes and shares. The photo soon migrated to Buzzfeed and Facebook and Twitter, setting off a social media conflagration that few were able to resist.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I can see it either way and can easily flip my perception from one to the other.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I see a clever marketing gimmick.:confused:

While not intentional, it seems the exposure is helping sales of the dress. Read an article the other day that sales were way up for that dress.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
The Two Women Behind the Viral Dress Want to Turn It into Something Positive for Girls - by Hunter Walker/ BusinessInsider/ Off Beat/ VentureBeat.com

"Sarah Weichel and Caitlin McNeill, the two women behind the dress photo that rocked the Internet on Thursday, have a plan to turn their fifteen seconds of viral fame into a win for young girls.

Weichel reached out to Business Insider late Friday and announced the pair have teamed up to sell “Team #BlackandBlue” and “Team #WhiteandGold” t-shirts with the proceeds benefiting the Princess Project, an organization that provides free prom dresses to high school girls who can’t afford them..."

TheDress.png

Above: Sarah Weichel (top) and Caitlin McNeill
Image Credit: Business Insider

Richard

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I first saw it on FB I saw blue and brown. Later in the day I saw white and gold.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about - of course the dress was gold and white. Until my husband saw the picture and said he couldn't understand what the fuss was all about eithrr - of course the dress was blue and black...

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I'm team "Who Cares?" having slightly blue green color deficient eyesight. :D

Cheers

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would interpret it as white and gold. What I see in the poorly lit original photo is light blueish (which I interpret as white in poor lighting) and muddy gold/orange/ish.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the actual dress is more the color of the image on the far right in your link. Here is an image of the actual dress as worn.

5cf75293c0c501db301f291a5784b9aee6416f53.jpg

From the Yahoo article linked in post #8.
H
Naaahhhhh...couldn't be. I just can't fathom how thar dark blue appears white or white in shadow. Wow