• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just finished WKORV Owner Update

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fyi. Just finished the owner update at the WKORV. Was told that building two will be closed in phases in September and October next year as they renovate the interiors. Also, in January they will be announcing the construction date of the new timeshare on the other side of WKORN, which will not have any lockoffs.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Also, in January they will be announcing the construction date of the new timeshare on the other side of WKORN, which will not have any lockoffs.

I know they SAID that - but I don't believe it… ;)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It is true that if/when they build WKORV-NN - there will be no LOs...
At least that part is not misinformation.

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder how the no lock off policy will affect sales of 2 bedrooms. We did a tour of the Hyatt, and they said they were sold out of 1 and 3 bedrooms, but plenty of 2's were available. Maui County no longer allows lock offs to be built. I can see how this would make it less desirable, because those traveling with families might want a larger unit, and those with smaller parties probably liked having a 1 bedroom to use and rent out the studio side to help offset MF costs.

Bob808

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were told Maui assesses the timeshare units per number of entry doors. No lock-offs will reduce that number.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
We were told Maui assesses the timeshare units per number of entry doors. No lock-offs will reduce that number.

Not necessarily, that is why the lockoffs have a foyer, there is only one entry door to the hallway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Not necessarily, that is why the lockoffs have a foyer, there is only one entry door to the hallway.

Err...no. The south property has two separate units, a studio and a 1-bed, and are taxed as such. The new north north property has been long known to be limited to 2-bed units as the number of doors (ie taxable units) need to be less in order to meet the permit requirements. Of course, I could be wrong. But the south foyer is simply a design choice, from everything I've been told.

Sent from my iPad

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Err...no. The south property has two separate units, a studio and a 1-bed, and are taxed as such. The new north north property has been long known to be limited to 2-bed units as the number of doors (ie taxable units) need to be less in order to meet the permit requirements. Of course, I could be wrong. But the south foyer is simply a design choice, from everything I've been told.

Sent from my iPad

I could swear I read here on TUG in one of the many threads about this that it was based on hall doors, not unit doors. Maybe the taxman got smart and closed that loophole, my memory is not what it used to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had heard the same thing about counting the number of units by hall doors, and that being why the south property had the foyers. I also understand that loophole was closed, and that is why the new property won't have lock-offs. That is too bad, because I really like the lock-off feature.

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if the tax is based on unit doors, not hall doors, would that mean owners at the new development will pay less taxes on their units than WKORV owners? Somehow I doubt that.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I had heard the same thing about counting the number of units by hall doors, and that being why the south property had the foyers. I also understand that loophole was closed, and that is why the new property won't have lock-offs. That is too bad, because I really like the lock-off feature.

Hmm, perhaps I am incorrect then about the tax issue.

I also agree, a 2-bed only resort isn't very appealing to me. In the last nine years I think I've had a 2-bed unit at WKORV about four times (I could check...) and a studio or 1-bed many more.

Sent from my iPad

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if taxes are based on the number of doors, but number of average occupants is, and from there infrastructure use, and other issues involved in permitting and allowing a particular buidling to go up.

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
If doors have anything to do with it, I believe it is only as a way to count how many "separate" units there are. A two bedroom LO is frequently rented as two separate units, meaning two separate parties with two sets of cars, and twice the "impact" on the local economy (both positive and negative). I believe the local powers that be feel the Lock Outs were a sneaky way the TimeShare industry slipped in twice as many individual unit then what was "advertised" on the planning documents. Of course, if they had actually spent some time studying the plans, they would have easily seen this "subterfuge". So I have not sympathy for them on this count.

Greg

Quiding

Reaction score
Am I the only one curious how an Owners Update would sound between DeniseM and a sales rep? :) Or someone else really experienced, anyone has any funny stories?
I just attended one, it is me + my wife + 2 other couples who are my friends and they have no idea what Starwood is.
I managed to get both couple approved and 100+100+100usd vouchers plus 3 discount tours (since we were 3 couples) but when we were at the meeting, the salesguy understood that I was the only one he could MAYBE sell to.
He was very good but we declined of course and that was that, 110min and many $$$ in our pocket :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Am I the only one curious how an Owners Update would sound between DeniseM and a sales rep? :) Or someone else really experienced, anyone has any funny stories?

My last one wasn't pleasant.

Starwood had just rolled out something new, and when the sales person made a big deal about it. I said, "Yes, we've been discussing that on TUG." He became belligerent, and said, "You can't possibly know about that! We just found out today!"

Then he proceeded to tell me what a good deal it would be to convert my WKORV timeshare to airfare. I told him that because the MF was so high, I didn't think that was a good value. Again, he became belligerent, and said, "Well, you clearly just don't understand how it works."

Then he said - "Why are you here if you aren't going to buy anything?" I said, "We were invited at check-in, and I wanted to find out what was new at the resort."

Then he told me I was wasting his time, and we were done.

We do not go to any more presentations….

TrojanRickus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Pacific Palisades
SDO
WKV
You are my hero!!!!
My last one wasn't pleasant.

Starwood had just rolled out something new, and when the sales person made a big deal about it. I said, "Yes, we've been discussing that on TUG." He became belligerent, and said, "You can't possibly know about that! We just found out today!"

Then he proceeded to tell me what a good deal it would be to convert my WKORV timeshare to airfare. I told him that because the MF was so high, I didn't think that was a good value. Again, he became belligerent, and said, "Well, you clearly just don't understand how it works."

Then he said - "Why are you here if you aren't going to buy anything?" I said, "We were invited at check-in, and I wanted to find out what was new at the resort."

Then he told me I was wasting his time, and we were done.

We do not go to any more presentations….

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I despise TS presentations - I am always surprised when people want to go be tortured for $100 bucks or whatever. I'd pay twice as much NOT to have to go! :D

Rsauer3473

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to owner update last week at WKORV: the upshot was that I could trade in my EOY island view at North for an annual ocean front for only $47,000. They would retro one resale and offered us 60 K Starpoints. No offer of a toaster. I mentioned current resale OF units at $22 K. Lasted 45 minutes.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We went to owner update last week at WKORV: the upshot was that I could trade in my EOY island view at North for an annual ocean front for only $47,000. They would retro one resale and offered us 60 K Starpoints. No offer of a toaster. I mentioned current resale OF units at $22 K. Lasted 45 minutes.

You're absolutely correct. A toaster (or perhaps even a knife set!) would definitely increase their sales numbers. ;)

Sent from my iPad

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're absolutely correct. A toaster (or perhaps even a knife set!) would definitely increase their sales numbers. ;)

Or luggage tags... :D

Get one of the good metal/leather one's and then it's definitely worth paying the extra $50K.

Quiding

Reaction score
Well Denise, I don't know.. I got 300usd plus discount on 3 trips, total around 500 in discount and 300usd in voucher. I think 800usd was worth the 120min or less, but I wasn't treated in a bad way at all..

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well Denise, I don't know.. I got 300usd plus discount on 3 trips, total around 500 in discount and 300usd in voucher. I think 800usd was worth the 120min or less, but I wasn't treated in a bad way at all..

Are you saying you got all that for FREE from one presentation?

Or are you saying you bought another pkg. to return to the resort?

Quiding

Reaction score
Are you saying you got all that for FREE from one presentation?

Or are you saying you bought another pkg. to return to the resort?

Me and my wife went to the presentation with 2 more couples, my friends, who know nothing about Starwood and we sat there for 100-120min or so, got 300usd in vouchers and the total discount on the trips is around 500usd since we got discounts on 3 different trips for all 6 ppl on all 3 trips.
We didn't buy any explorer package or anything.

They said that normally 4ppl or 2 couples is maximum but they made it for the 6 of us and also then we got triple benefits. Maybe somewhere in their system it says that "here is a easy target" :) for that is what happened the first time but thanks to TUG I know my way around :)

But maybe the discount is worthless, maybe the price on the local salesguys outside the hotel are much better/cheaper but we still prefer to book at the hotel..

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK - but most people don't take two other couples, so what you got is not typical, and the discounts are fuzzy math, because you can rent from an owner for less. ;)

Quiding

Reaction score
Hmm I think I explained porly, the discount is for trips like going to Xel-Ha, diving with dolphins etc. Sorry, my English isn't perfect :)

Have a nice evening