• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big island Volcanoes

Cdn Gal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me who has been on the Big Island recently, if they are able to get close to the volcano? Do you have any tours that you would suggest for us to go on to see the volcano up close? I am getting mixed reports online as to whether or not it is active. Thank you :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This changes constantly - go to their website for the latest info.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/index.htm

You don't really need a tour - if the lava flow is accessible, just follow everyone else hiking out there. Dress for rugged walking, and harsh sun. Wear sturdy tennis shoes or boots, and long pants. If you fall, you will fall on the hardened lava, which is very sharp.

Last edited:

Cdn Gal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you get really close to the lava just by following everybody else? Do they allow that?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Can you get really close to the lava just by following everybody else? Do they allow that?

It depends on the conditions, which change daily, but yes, usually. It is remarkably unsupervised. I saw young men poking the lava with a stick like it was a mud puddle - made me very nervous to see such idiotic behavior!

Cdn Gal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That sounds exactly like what we want. We want to get as close to the lava as possible, however I thought that you needed to take a guided tour to it. So you just walk/hike from the government tourist centre?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The lava flow changes constantly, so where you park depends on where it's flowing. But it's not at the park visitor's center - that's a long way away. If you stop at the visitors center, they will give you a map showing where to drive and park, if it's accessible that day.

You really DON'T want to get as close to the lava as possible - it's dangerous and extremely hot. The hear radiating from the lava feels like the blast when you open the oven.

When we were there, a guide with a Japanese tourist group was watching the young men poking the lava with a stick, and he told me that people who walk right up the the edge of the lava that way sometimes break through the hardened crust and fall into the lava. They don't realize that the lava rock they are standing on may be cooled lava that's only be a few minutes old. He said that the previous day he saw someone burn his leg off at the knee doing that. That would definitely put a crimp in your vacation. At that point I said to my husband - "I don't want to see that happen to someone, let's start back." The heat was also pretty unbearable after a while.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bring water to drink ... it is HOT and dries you out fast.

And please remember to pack your empties back out with you.

Cdn Gal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh my gosh! That is so terrible!! I'm so glad that I am getting some fantastic advice on here! We just want to get some great pictures of the lava, with us beside it. It would be a once in a lifetime opportunity to do this, however, safety is #1 and certainly not worth losing a leg over.

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
Must have become easier. When we were there a few years ago we couldn't find a tour which would take us any where close. Liability issues apparently. Asking around we were told it was best to find a local or rent a car and attempt to get there ourselves. Good luck, I was really looking forward to getting close enough to actually see it flowing.

AKE

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If the lava is flowing within the park boundaries there are more stringent rules re how close they will allow you to get, however, if it is outside the park boundaries then anything goes. Most of the time it is disappointing ... think of black tar with some red in it. The pictures shown are from large scale eruptions which don't happen that often and it there is an eruption, you want to be well away from it. There have been a number of occasions where cooled lava shelves all of a sudden break off into the ocean and these could be more than an acre in size. If you are standing on this shelf then good luck. It is dangerous!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If you'll be on the Big Island, seeing Halemaumau, the main Kilauea crater, from inside Hawaii Volcanoes National park at the Jaeger Overlook at dusk is great - you can't see directly down into the crater itself, but you can see the glow on the steam and clouds made by the pool of lava inside the crater. it's unforgettable.

Further down the mountain on the way toward Hilo, you can probably learn how to see the lava flow that is coming from the vent in the Pahoa (Puna?) area. There has been recent activity that should be fairly easy to find. The reason you can get to it is because it's outside the Park.

Understand that lava doesn't follow any rules, so the flow may be more or less active when you're there. It could also be completely stopped. You'll have to figure out what you want to do when you're on the island.

One thing to be aware of, is the health risk you're placing on yourself by getting too close to a lava flow. In addition to the burn risk of the lava itself, there are also lots of toxic gases in the air, even small bits of dissolved glass and deadly bits of rock that can be breathed in. You can kill yourself if you get too close. be smart, and educate yourself to avoid risk. No kidding. It's pretty, but can be deadly.

Dave

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The first time we went to the Big Island, we did the hike out. The lava flow was incredible to watch. It is very unsupervised, or was when we went, but that was in 2001, I believe. Like, no safety fence, nothing.

It was one of the most remarkable things I've ever seen and I am not a person that is that awestruck by the "Miracles of nature" stuff. Sorry to all of you who are but it was an amazing experience.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been to the National Park several times, but the best views of lava that we got were via a Blue Hawaii Helicopter tour. The Jaeger Overlook was pretty neat too, after sunset.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Are these hikes just day trips from the timeshares ? I was thinking of staying overnight near the park but it might be just as easy to drive there in the morning.

Haven't been back to the Big Island for some time. What would be the "must see" thing besides the volcano ?

Bill

Cdn Gal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes Bill we were thinking the same thing...staying close to the park and heading out either first thing in the morning or at night to see the lava flows.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is a historic (and rather expensive) hotel right in the park, and also a military R&R camp in the park, that you can book if you have a friend or family member who is current or former military.

Volcano House Hotel - http://www.hawaiivolcanohouse.com/

Kilauea Military Camp - http://kilaueamilitarycamp.com/

If you have the time, it's really worthwhile to spend a night or 2 in the park. There is a lot to see and do at the park. You can see the highlights in one day, but you can easily spend 2 full days there - especially if you get a chance to walk out to the lava flow, and/or do some hiking.

If you are only on island for 1 week, then you will probably just want to make a day trip from your timeshare - you will want to get up early, and get to the park early, so you can maximize your time there. There are no timeshares in the immediate area - the closets TS's are in the Kona area, but there are also one or two between Kona and the volcano - but they are in the barren lava flow area. I wouldn't want to stay there a whole week.

Last edited:

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha,
As mentioned earlier, the lava is currently flowing in the general direction of Pahoa in the Puna district. The flow front is currently stalled, but lava is spreading from the sides.
Great updates are available at
http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/
One recurring message from Hawaiian civil defense is that there are no current access points for public viewing.
Jack

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
She didn't state it in this thread, but she's not going until August, so she will have to check on the status of the lava flow, right before she goes.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
To add on a bit of extra info to DeniseM's comments about visiting the Volcano Park: There are also several guest houses and B&B's in the area right outside the park entrance, in the town of Volcano. You might want to consider renting a room for a night or two, then make the trip down from your timeshare, check into the room, and see the Park properly. When you're done, drive back to your timeshare. That way you won't be rushed to get back.

One example: We stayed at the Hale Ohia B&B, and found it charming and very comfortable. www.haleohia.com.

Dave

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
Bring a flashlight, sweatshirt, a bottle of water, and go late in the day. Seeing the the lava flow at night is fantastic.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
One example: We stayed at the Hale Ohia B&B, and found it charming and very comfortable. www.haleohia.com.

Dave

This looks great, Dave! We'll have to keep it in mind for our next trip.
Last time we went, we stayed in Kona and rented a private house about half an hour or so from the park which worked out fine, but they no longer rent the place, so looking for something different.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year we stayed at the Enchanted Rainforest Cottages in Volcano, and had a great time. We were in the Apanene Guest House. It was like being in the middle of the rainforest, surrounded by fern trees and all kinds of birds. The place was very clean, and offered a small kitchen. We had planned to stay 3 nights and return to Kona the night before our flight to Maui. We liked it so much that we decided to stay an extra night and just drive early in the morning.

Volcano is pretty far from Kona, and the roads to get there are dark. You can drive over and back in a day, but it is pretty tiring, and by dusk you usually head back. Staying overnight is a far different experience that is well worth it. It gives you more time to explore the park, and you can go in at night to see the lava flow in the crater from different angles.

I had previously only done day trips, but will now likely try to stay overnight every time. This was one of the highlights of my trip. I recommend exploring the various stops on the Chain of Craters road. It was also fun to drive all the way down to the ocean, to where the road ends because of lava that flowed over it a few years ago.

Some things we liked there:

Hiking around and across the Kilauea-iki crater
Watching the lava lake during the day and at night
Hiking various park trails
Driving down Chain of Craters Road
Visiting Akatsuka Orchid Greenhouse in Volcano
Thai restaurant in "downtown" Volcano
Stop at the bakery in Punalu'u for their malasadas

If the cottages are not available, we've found many good lodging options on vrbo.com. Just look for ones with a lot of good ratings. VRBO is now my go-to resource when I can't stay at a timeshare I like.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Bring a flashlight, sweatshirt, a bottle of water, and go late in the day. Seeing the the lava flow at night is fantastic.

We saw it a few years ago from a cruise ship at night and it was marvelous.