• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First trip to Maui: Pleasant, but disappointing

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I really wish you guys would stop drawing attention to how great Kauai is ;)

rifleman69

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the risk of having to survive a stoning, I also prefer Kauai to Maui. It isn't that there is anything wrong with Maui, there are just too many 'mainlanders' trying for the Hawaii 'Aloha' experience. It's there, but buried under a very commercial facade. Valet parking. Concierges. Too-'ordinary' eateries. Pool towel and lounge police. It might as well be somewhere in Florida or the Caribbean.

I like the comment upthread, "If you love Kauai, send your friends to Maui."

Jim

This is the exact reason why we love Kauai over the other islands (Big Island is a distant second but ahead of both Maui and Oahu).

HatTrick

Reaction score
But I was kinda thinking of doing the road to Hana. Did it once, twenty-some years ago, but didn't get as far as the 7 sacred pools. So that was going to be part of the motivation to re-do it. That, and it's a lovely drive, as I recall. Do you think we should skip it? I'd be happy with Pina Colada's at the beach or pool for an additional day.

The RtH is certainly a bucket-list item. But having done it a few times, I much prefer the drive up Rt 30 (Honoapiilani Hwy) past Kapalua and Honolua Bay and on to the Nakalele Blowhole. Sweeping views of the rugged north coast.

You can continue (the road becomes Rt 340, Kahekili Hwy) to the Olivine Pools and on to Kahului, but you might want to read this first.

Another interesting drive is down Makena Road past the Makena Golf Course and Big Beach to the South Maui lava fields. Lots of feral goats to see in addition to the lava.

Last edited:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The RtH is certainly a bucket-list item. But having done it a few times, I much prefer the drive up Rt 30 (Honoapiilani Hwy) past Kapalua and Honolua Bay and on to the Nakalele Blowhole. Sweeping views of the rugged north coast.

You can continue (the road becomes Rt 340, Kahekili Hwy) to the Olivine Pools and on to Kahului, but you might want to read this first.

Another interesting drive is down Makena Road past the Makena Golf Course and Big Beach to the South Maui lava fields. Lots of feral goats to see in addition to the lava.

We have driven twice on Kahekili Hwy from Kapalua to Wailuku. I always wonder if the other direction is better as it's closer to the ocean.
Yes it's definitely not for the faint of heart...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Kauai rains almost as much as BC.

Sterling

I completely depends on where you stay - Princeville is wet and the opposite side of the island is much drier.

island_map_1_style1.jpg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Great report Dave and I have to say you explained yourself really well. You
Really summed up my feelings as well. I don't think I expected too much or that
I tried to fit to much in. Others have said that there timeshare just feels like
Home. When you say that, you have really found the right place. That's how I
Feel about the Pono Kai and it's how I feel about Kauai.

I think I ended out liking it more than you. I will definitely go back to Maui.
After we took our first Maui trip last year DW and I both said in the end we wish
We would have done two weeks on Kauai and only one on Maui. I'll be on Kauai
In 10 days.:D

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really enjoyed your trip report, Dave. I must say--based on some of your other trips--you certainly pack in a full agenda.

We agree Kauai and the BI are our favorites, and haven't been back to Maui in about 12 years. But IMO even Kauai is becoming congested and has changed quite a bit from our first trip over 25 years ago. Still love it though.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, did you find any favorite places to eat in the Kihei/Wailea area? We're going back in March and always appreciated input even though we've been there many times before. :D

Hi Luanne,
We found several places that we felt were especially good. Most of these were recommended by Tuggers and other coworkers. They have excellent taste. ;)

We ate at the usual kind of places, like Zippy's on the way to Kahului, (great fresh-baked Malasadas), and their regular menu was good, too. But in Kihei itself, there were three standout places:

A restaurant called "Threes" at 1945 S. Kihei Road was excellent. They have a full menu that looked great, but we went at the end of their Happy Hour, and had a variety of pupu's to share. Drinks were great, service quite good, and it was an easy way to spend an hour, and leave happy. Definitely worth checking out. http://threesbarandgrill.com

Cafe O'Lei at 2439 S. Kihei Road was really great. We ate lunch there the first time, and went back for our farewell, last night's dinner. Both meals were superb. http://cafeoleirestaurants.com

Kihei Caffe, also at 1945 S. Kihei Road, had a great breakfast. Order inside, then the meal is served at outdoor tables. Very low-key, but the food was really good. http://www.kiheicaffe.net

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
No water at all in the 7 sacred pools? No waterfalls on the road to Hana? Oh no!

We (DW & I) are going to Maui in a couple of weeks. In fact, staying at Maui Schooner just like you, so thanks much for the recent review there. I hadn't set up any set schedule of things to do (other than dinner with a former client who lives in Kula). But I was kinda thinking of doing the road to Hana. Did it once, twenty-some years ago, but didn't get as far as the 7 sacred pools. So that was going to be part of the motivation to re-do it. That, and it's a lovely drive, as I recall. Do you think we should skip it? I'd be happy with Pina Colada's at the beach or pool for an additional day.

Did you go to Hana and back in a day, or stay overnight? I was thinking of booking a room in Hana, despite the fact that they all seem very pricey, especially since we'll have the timeshare sitting idle that night. OTOH, we may just skip Hana entirely. Opinions?

Thanks much for your detailed report, Dave. I also prefer Kauai, but enjoyed Maui also, the one time we went twenty-mumble years ago. I just hope it hasn't been over-developed in the interim.

-Bob

ETA - almost forgot, is the construction finished?

Hi Bob,

They said there has been a drought on the Hana side of the island, so things are drier than normal. I'd expect when you get there, if the rains have started, then there would be something to see. You might ask around before making the drive. The trip was worth it, and yes, I think the road construction is done. The road was mostly well-paved, with good signage, and lots of places to pull out of traffic.

The trick to beating the traffic is to leave Paia by 7:00AM. That gives you a head start on the rest of the sleepyheads behind you. We left Maui Schooner about 6:00. ate a nice breakfast at Zippy's in Kahului, and then hit the road. We had a coolor of drinks and snacks with us, so there was no rush to get anywhere. We took our time, stopped and hiked several places, and even spent some time on the side-trip to Keanae. It was a great diversion, to a small beach park in a small community that had an old coral and lava rock church. Beautiful building. http://keanaecongregationalchurch.blogspot.com

We took the time to stop at Waianapanapa State Park, where the black sand beach is located. It's smaller than the one at Punaluu on the Big Island, but it was still a great diversion, and gave us time to get off the road for awhile. (I included a picture of the beach. The Tug website has rotated the picture, but you'll get an idea of what the beach is like.) http://hawaiistateparks.org/parks/maui/waianapanapa.cfm

We did the round trip in one day. By getting such an early start, we were able to take our time, enjoyed the drive, stop when and where we wanted, and appreciate what we were driving past. We left Kipahulu, where the Seven Sacred Pools are, around mid-afternoon. The sun was just setting when we got back to Paia.

If you do the trip, check that downloadable smartphone app I mentioned in my OP. It made the trip VERY easy and worthwhile. Without it, we wouldn't have known where to stop. I can't say enough good things about it.

Dave

Attachments

• Black Sand Beach.JPG
    Black Sand Beach.JPG
    445.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My wife and I had a dope slap moment however when the OP noted using the time shift to their advantage and going up Mt. Haleakula for the sunrise the first morning when you are still accustomed to the earlier clock. :doh: Thank you for that!

Happy as always to offer a helpful tip. But I can't claim responsibility for that one - my sister-in-law was with us, and she suggested it. She lives near Sacramento, and her friends who visit Maui often told her to do it that way. I about slapped my own forehead, too. :D

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Great report Dave and I have to say you explained yourself really well. You
Really summed up my feelings as well. I don't think I expected too much or that
I tried to fit to much in. Others have said that there timeshare just feels like
Home. When you say that, you have really found the right place. That's how I
Feel about the Pono Kai and it's how I feel about Kauai.

I think I ended out liking it more than you. I will definitely go back to Maui.
After we took our first Maui trip last year DW and I both said in the end we wish
We would have done two weeks on Kauai and only one on Maui. I'll be on Kauai
In 10 days.:D

Thanks, Jeff. We need to meet sometime. You and I have much in common. :)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I must say--based on some of your other trips--you certainly pack in a full agenda.

People say that to me a lot. I've thought about it, and I agree it probably seems so. But I don't see it quite like that. I'm a very mentally-focused person whose brain is ALWAYS working. I work in IT for a living, and I live through my head, my perception, my memory, and my ability to convey what I'm thinking to others, in a compassionate, understanding way.

I find myself consumed with nervous mental energy. I'm always THINKING. I'm not the type who can sit and do NOTHING. I have diagnosed Restless Leg Syndrome, and it's very difficult for me to just sit still. Consequently, I can't just lay on the beach all day. I'd freak right out. :) My brain just goes off the deep end. As I type this on my laptop, I'm sitting on the couch watching The Voice on TV, texting with my daughter on my cell phone, and trying to think of the best way to explain how my brain works. It's not weird for me, but it's not how I think others do things. ;)

On a trip like this, I was looking for the mental stimulation that would connect with that place in my head that pushes the endorphin "Aaahh!" satisfaction button. I had a laundry list of activities I could try and do, but I actually did very few of them. I did spend a fair amount of time in the car, but it let me see new things around every corner, in pursuit of that goal. I rented a convertible, so I could experience the outside while I was on the inside. If the car had not been a convertible, I don't think I'd have been nearly as happy with things.

So even though it sounds like I was always on the go, I wasn't. I planned things out, so the long drives were spaced out. I was moving a lot, but it was on the way to somewhere else, or to experience the island in as much of three dimensions as I could.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Dave

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
On a trip like this, I was looking for the mental stimulation that would connect with that place in my head that pushes the endorphin "Aaahh!" satisfaction button.

Oceanfront is the ticket. We own at a small resort with 4/27 of the units having oceanfront views. We bought 3 weeks and got gypped out of another one by CJ Timeshares, but that is another story. Three is enough; four is overkill.

Anyway, oceanfront makes the difference because when you are in your unit, and the ocean is 50 feet away, there is just something special, but you know what I mean because you own OF Kauai.

So few resorts offer oceanfront because they cannot put everything oceanfront. Those lucky exchangers who sometimes get oceanfront accidentally, I have talked to a few of them in the hot tub. I tell them we pay $1,500 per week a year for the privilege of staying oceanfront.

When you come back from a nice drive and can open the doors and step out into the breeze and watch the sunset from your lanai, that is the difference.

Last edited:

kalima

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow!

YOu did WAY TOO MUCH for just one week!...we went for 2 weeks and no way did we want to do too much!....the place was so beautiful we were so happy just hanging at the beaches and the local roadside restaurants etc...we only did about 4 organized trips in the whole 2 weeks....your trip does not sound fun at all so I am not surprised you did not enjoy your visit....you didn't really visit at all....you charged through it!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Hi Luanne,
A restaurant called "Threes" at 1945 S. Kihei Road was excellent. They have a full menu that looked great, but we went at the end of their Happy Hour, and had a variety of pupu's to share. Drinks were great, service quite good, and it was an easy way to spend an hour, and leave happy. Definitely worth checking out. http://threesbarandgrill.com
Have never tried this one. We'll have to check it out this trip.

Cafe O'Lei at 2439 S. Kihei Road was really great. We ate lunch there the first time, and went back for our farewell, last night's dinner. Both meals were superb. http://cafeoleirestaurants.com
One of our favorites. We usually end up here for dinner our first night and at least one other time. Love their lilikoi margaritas. (At least I think that is where I get them)

Kihei Caffe, also at 1945 S. Kihei Road, had a great breakfast. Order inside, then the meal is served at outdoor tables. Very low-key, but the food was really good. http://www.kiheicaffe.net
We rarely eat breakfast out when we're there, and if we do we usually just walk, so it ends up being at Fred's. I've heard good reports of this place but it always looks so crowded.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Bob,

They said there has been a drought on the Hana side of the island, so things are drier than normal. I'd expect when you get there, if the rains have started, then there would be something to see. You might ask around before making the drive. The trip was worth it, and yes, I think the road construction is done. The road was mostly well-paved, with good signage, and lots of places to pull out of traffic.

Thanks much, Dave. Weather.com shows no rain for Kihei between now and when we arrive, but it does show rain for Hana, so it might be good.

I actually meant the construction at Maui Schooner, which some of the reviews and some TUG posts have complained about. Done?

The trick to beating the traffic is to leave Paia by 7:00AM. That gives you a head start on the rest of the sleepyheads behind you. We left Maui Schooner about 6:00. ate a nice breakfast at Zippy's in Kahului, and then hit the road. We had a coolor of drinks and snacks with us, so there was no rush to get anywhere. We took our time, stopped and hiked several places, and even spent some time on the side-trip to Keanae. It was a great diversion, to a small beach park in a small community that had an old coral and lava rock church. Beautiful building. http://keanaecongregationalchurch.blogspot.com

Wow. 6 in the AM? Or Oh-dark-hundred, as I like to say? :eek:

I don't do 6am on vacation. I do that for work, and I hate it. No way on vacation. On our first Kauai trip many, many years ago, my DW woke me up to appreciate the sunrise. Needless to say, she got an earful about what I didn't appreciate :eek: I do regret that greatly; but OTOH, she hasn't done it again. ;) And we did do Haleakala sunrise one trip. Having crossed that off the bucket list, I think that this trip we'll try for Haleakala sunset.

But if we decide to do the RtH, we'll make an effort to get up earlier than normal. Thanks for the tip.

If you do the trip, check that downloadable smartphone app I mentioned in my OP. It made the trip VERY easy and worthwhile. Without it, we wouldn't have known where to stop. I can't say enough good things about it.

I suspect that the smartphone app may be a bit less useful without a smartphone, eh? :D But thanks for the tip.

And thank you very much for the restaurant recommendations. I looked up all their menus, and plan to visit each and every one while we're there. Your tips from this thread are proving to be a treasure trove of information for me while I plan our trip. Thanks much for taking the time.

-Bob

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Oceanfront is the ticket. We own at a small resort with 4/27 of the units having oceanfront views. We bought 3 weeks and got gypped out of another one by CJ Timeshares, but that is another story. Three is enough; four is overkill.

Anyway, oceanfront makes the difference because when you are in your unit, and the ocean is 50 feet away, there is just something special, but you know what I mean because you own OF Kauai.

So few resorts offer oceanfront because they cannot put everything oceanfront. Lucky exchangers who gets oceanfront accidentally. I have talked to a few of them in the hot tub.

When you come back from a nice drive and can open the doors and step out into the breeze and watch the sunset from your lanai, that is the difference.

I agree, Cindy. Our OF on Kauai really is an awesome feeling. You don't need to ask very loudly, but mention it to DeniseM. She's a bigger fan than I am. :D

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
YOu did WAY TOO MUCH for just one week!...we went for 2 weeks and no way did we want to do too much!....the place was so beautiful we were so happy just hanging at the beaches and the local roadside restaurants etc...we only did about 4 organized trips in the whole 2 weeks....your trip does not sound fun at all so I am not surprised you did not enjoy your visit....you didn't really visit at all....you charged through it!

:) You know, looking back, it doesn't seem like it to me. Maybe because it was my first time, and I was getting my bearings on the island?

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks much, Dave. Weather.com shows no rain for Kihei between now and when we arrive, but it does show rain for Hana, so it might be good.

I actually meant the construction at Maui Schooner, which some of the reviews and some TUG posts have complained about. Done?

Yes, I think the Maui Schooner construction must be done. I didn't see any workmen doing anything. Housekeeping cleaning rooms and groundskeepers tending the landscaping was it.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I suspect that the smartphone app may be a bit less useful without a smartphone, eh? :D But thanks for the tip.

They sell a CD at Kmart for something like $15 that does the same thing. (It's at the checkout lanes by the registers.) But since it's not GPS driven, it may not be as handy. Not sure how that would work. :ponder:

Dave

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for posting!
We spent 4 weeks on Maui last November and felt the same way - Maui is ... just OK. But bucket list items were crossed off, and now we can return to the Big island and Kauai with no worries.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've always wondered if a vacation in Hawaii would be worth the extra cost for us. Typically we've gone to Mexico instead. This thread has been a great read!

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Dave, I took the Valley Isle road to Hana tour since I would never drive it myself. T

I will second Valley Isle Tours for the road to Hana. I really debated about driving myself verses paying for a tour. I am not much of package tour person, but have to say Valley Isle did a great tour. It was wonderful to be able to just relax and look at all the sights.. no need to worry about the road, oncoming traffic, or missing something...

slabeaume

Reaction score
The first time I went to Maui I really didn't expect to like it too much. Being a Kauai lover (especially at KBV oceanfront condos!), I had always heard if you love Kauai, you won't like Maui. But we're also snorkelers, so that put a new twist in it. Fell in love with the snorkeling on Maui, especially when the whales are there. We've been to Kauai in the winter 12 times and I've never heard the whales while snorkeling there. Heard it all over Maui. Did the RTH once---during a heavy rain storm with flash flooding. We saw LOTS of waterfalls and flooded road! Never have done the sunrise on Haleakula, but loved going there in the afternoon. Now we're going to both Kauai and Maui. And I'm beginning to think we need to give the Big Island another try!

BTW DAve---I see you're going to Bryce and Zion next year. Just got back from there and LOVED it!!!