• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shingles Shot

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for your comments. Although I have made it 80 years without shingles I did have chicken pox as a kid. The horror stories about how bad it can be convinced me to get the vaccine. I'm just back from getting the shot. Apparently it has to be kept frozen so I had to wait about 10 minutes for it to thaw out before being injected. My insurance doesn't cover it. Cost was $225.

George

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those commercials are particularly motivating.

I will get mine soon.

Thanks for the shared experiences and reminder.

-

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I never get the flu shot and have been lucky so far and not gotten the flu. I did get a tetanus shot this year, but I think I shouldn't have as it had side effects and I just don't see that it is so crucial. I won't get it again.

However, I did have chicken pox as a kid and when I am 60 I will get the vaccine for shingles as it is a horrible thing to contract. My husband just turned 60 and I have been nagging him to get it at Rite Aid. My husband does not know if he ever had the chicken pox or not. Does anyone know if that matters in so far as getting the shot?

My friend's 36 year old son just got shingles and the doc said it could be due to stress.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
However, I did have chicken pox as a kid and when I am 60 I will get the vaccine for shingles as it is a horrible thing to contract. My husband just turned 60 and I have been nagging him to get it at Rite Aid. My husband does not know if he ever had the chicken pox or not. Does anyone know if that matters in so far as getting the shot?

I don't know if it has anything to do with getting the shot, but I do know that if you have had chicken pox you are at a higher risk of getting shingles. Since I know that I had chicken pox as a child that was one reason I got the shot.

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just convinced my mother to get the shot at 99 years old. I pretty much insisted after she put me off for years. I got mine a few years back. Both 100% covered by insurance. They also gave her whooping cough shot. We also get flu shots every year. I would run, not walk to get the shot and pay whatever they charge.

HatTrick

Reaction score
5 bogus excuses people use to avoid the flu vaccine.

4. “I don’t get the flu.” Certain superhumans among us claim they “never get the flu.” The first answer to that is “never say never.” This could be your unlucky year! Beyond that there is a larger public health reason to get vaccinated—for the sake of the people around you. Some people are infected by the flu virus, and for whatever reason, do not suffer symptoms (up to 30% of flu virus carriers display no symptoms). Despite their lack of symptoms, they can still be carriers of the virus, and as such, threaten those around them. Infecting children, pregnant women and the vulnerable elderly are all to be avoided.

ride2slide

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got the Shingles vaccine April after seeing several mid 30 friends get really bad cases on their faces. My insurance would not pay for it, but I heard it is the most horrible pain. So, I went to the local drugstore and paid $130 cash out of pocket. Tricare says you have to be at least 60. I am not. I didn't want to wait, so, I just bit the bullet and got it done.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can only get shingles if you have had chicken pox. If you have not had chicken pox and say are in contact with someone with shingles you can get chicken pox.

I have had shingles before age 50. My son who was not living with me at the time also had shingles maybe at age 24.

I would get the shot if possible as I have seen some bad cases of shingles, mine thankfully was not too bad, but it is not available in mexico so would or will have to do when in states.

I am not the required 60 yet, but if my DR says it will be beneficial then will do. I might be ineligible because of health history or meds..will see.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had shingles in 4th grade (1964).

Question? Can I get them again or am I immune now? Anyone know? TIA

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I had shingles in 4th grade (1964).

Question? Can I get them again or am I immune now? Anyone know? TIA

From WebMD:

People with shingles are more likely to suffer a recurrence than previously thought, especially if their attack is accompanied by lasting pain, researchers report.

"The risk of getting shingles again, once you already have it, is about one in three," says Barbara Yawn, MD, director of research at Olmsted Medical Center in Rochester, Minn. "That's about the same chance of getting shingles once in your lifetime."

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
From WebMD:

People with shingles are more likely to suffer a recurrence than previously thought, especially if their attack is accompanied by lasting pain, researchers report.

"The risk of getting shingles again, once you already have it, is about one in three," says Barbara Yawn, MD, director of research at Olmsted Medical Center in Rochester, Minn. "That's about the same chance of getting shingles once in your lifetime."

Thanks. :). I guess I could have looked it up, but the question came to me as I was reading the thread. Appreciate the quick reply. BTW I was hoping to hear I am now immune! :D

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got the shot

Got it on my 60th birthday about 4 yrs ago. My insurance wouldn't cover it and it ran me about $130 if I remember correctly. I wanted it after working with several people that really suffered with shingles.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got the vaccine 4 years ago. No shingles. DW has had shingles, and would have paid ANY price to avoid it or reduce the pain. She got the vaccine as soon afterward as she could. When I got mine, I had to pay(thanks HCSA), but am told that Zostavax is pretty much covered by insurance/Medicare now.

Jim

I had shingles in October 2012, I took the anti-viral and recovered fairly quickly after my doctor prescribed the anti viral drugs. Having shingles once does not prevent more episodes. My chance of contracting shingles again is exactly the same as another adult who has had chicken pox but has not had the shingles.

My husband and I had the shingles shots in the spring of 2013. Our BCBS insurance paid for the shot directly as a prescription at Walgreens Drug store. We did need a valid prescription from our doctor. I would definitely recommend the shot to reduce the chance of a severe case of shingles.

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
You're right the CDC recommends getting vaccinated at 60.

But it is interesting that they also say "About half of all shingles cases occur in people age 60 years or older." Which means about half occur in people under 60 years of age.

But if the CDC doesn't recommend it, the insurance companies probably won't cover it under age 60.

My ex got it when he was in his mid-50s and it was horrible. Although the people I've seen suffer the worse were over 60.

I think it may be a case-by-case situation. Both my DH and I had the vaccine a couple of years ago (maybe three?) and we were in our early 50's. Our insurance did cover it 100% and yes it was expensive. The EOB said it was billed out at nearly $450 each.

Neither of us have had the shingles, so we're feeling pretty fortunate.

When I told my sister about the vaccine (she's my DH's age), she scoffed. A month later she had shingles and was hating it. She was miserable for weeks.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was 55 when I received the shot. Our BCBSNC covered it. Before I contracted the shingles I wanted the shot but all the ads said over 60 and I did not think the insurance would cover it. I knew several people under 60 who had experienced shingles and then I did also. As soon as I could get the shot after the shingles, I did.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got mine from the State Public Health Department when I was 62. They run an immunization clinic there for travel vaccines, immunizations, etc. Cost is a sliding scale. I paid whatever the max was, but it was still waaay below the price at Walgreen's, or my PCP.

I think most states have a similar program. If you are paying out-of-pocket, and/or are younger than Medicare, or don't have Part D drug coverage, call them. It would be in the 'Government' pages in your phone book.

Jim

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I don't get the flu shot nor have I had the pneumonia vaccine. I did however just get the DPT (they call it something else now). I haven't had a tetanus shot in mucho years. I recently read that you should also get the pertussis/whooping cough vaccine again. It's more to protect those around you especially the little ones. Expecting a new grandbaby any day and didn't want to take the chance.

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got shingles in August, most likely caused by stress. I was very fortunate that it was a very mild case, manifesting on my inner arm just below the elbow, and a smaller patch on my thumb. I will talk to my doctor about getting the shot, as I don't want to get it again.

Dori

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don't get the flu shot nor have I had the pneumonia vaccine. I did however just get the DPT (they call it something else now). I haven't had a tetanus shot in mucho years. I recently read that you should also get the pertussis/whooping cough vaccine again. It's more to protect those around you especially the little ones. Expecting a new grandbaby any day and didn't want to take the chance.

The pertussis/whooping cough are together in the tetanus vaccine now.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always been suspicious of vaccinations and put off getting flu shots until my doc 'convinced' me a couple of years ago. (She's a tough one, but very good.) So the past few years I've gotten flu shots and all is well.

Now I'm also considering the Shingles shot. But not without some hesitation.

An older brother came down with Shingles a year ago after having had the shot just 6 mos. earlier. And his was a bad case--he was miserable & it lasted at least 9 mos. for him before it fully cleared out. (But I believe he was under stress when it happened.)

In another case, a friend got a mild version of shingles shortly after getting the shot.

My doc says neither of these cases are likely due to getting the shot.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points

The pertussis/whooping cough are together in the tetanus vaccine now.

Tdap is what you are now looking for as an adult who will be around children. We got ours when our daughters started having children.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_the-tdap-vaccine-protecting-yourself-and-your-baby-from-whoo_10330333.bc

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got it last year. 100% paid for by insurance. DH wants to get it, his oncologist has not given him the OK yet. He has NH Lymphoma. He has been in remission since last year so we are hoping that maybe he can get the shot this year.

Suzanne